WonderCafe's picture

WonderCafe

Celebrate Earth Day with us April 22 at 3:00 p.m. EDT

Celebrate Earth Day with us April 22 at 3:00 p.m. EDT in a live interactive webcast. 

Link with people and congregations across the country through the webcast, Facebook, and Twitter (hashtag #ModEarth). 

Find out more about the United Church's 20-plus years of international leadership on climate change issues, and watch the Web premiere of two new hymns. An hour to celebrate soul, community, and creation!

Watch live streaming video from unitedchurchcda at livestream.com

Share this

Comments

GordW's picture

GordW

1:00 on sunday afternoon is my naptime....

WonderCafe's picture

WonderCafe

April 18, 2012 - Press Release

United Church Marks Earth Day Nationwide—Virtually

Toronto: In keeping with her “care of creation” theme as Moderator of The United Church of Canada, Mardi Tindal wanted to mark Earth Day 2012 in a way that would draw people together—virtually.

And so, on Sunday, April 22, at 3:00 p.m. (EDT), Tindal will host a one-hour live webcast that celebrates efforts to heal soul, community, and creation.

“I wanted this event to be a low-carbon national gathering, and that is what it will be,” says Tindal.

Joining her as co-host will be former Member of Parliament the Hon. David MacDonald, a United Church minister and long-time advocate on environmental issues. Other guests will join the discussion via Skype. The webcast will also be interactive, inviting viewers to participate in the conversation via Facebook and Twitter (hashtag #modearth).

To watch the webcast, go to Livestream.

http://united-church.ca/communications/news/releases/120418

WonderCafe's picture

WonderCafe

Ecumenical News International cited The United Church of Canada's Earth Day webcast as a top news story last night:

http://presbyterianrecord.ca/2012/04/20/united-church-to-mark-earth-day-with-webcast/

"The environment, especially climate and ocean change, are 'the great spiritual and moral challenge of our time,' Moderator Mardi Tindal said. 'Unless we deal with the ecological challenges before us, the social and personal challenges of well-being are going to become increasingly more stressful.'” 

Please join us tomorrow Sunday, April 22 at 3:00 p.m. EDT for the Moderator's Earth Day webcast:

- Click the Livestream button at the top of our Facebook page: (http://www.facebook.com/UnitedChurchCda)

- Visit the United Church Livestream page (http://www.livestream.com/unitedchurchcda), 

- Follow the discussion on Twitter at #ModEarth.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

"Wow!" is all I can say.

I had thought that the highlight of this week was going to be a new course starting in school, but this! Being personally invited to participate in such an event by Mardi herself.

Wow!

WonderCafe's picture

WonderCafe

During the Moderator's Earth Day webcast today, Sunday, April 22 at 3:00 pm EDT, viewers will be asked to contribute their responses to three questions on Facebook and Twitter:

1) What message would you send now to the 1992 Rio Earth Summit?

2) What are you doing now in your community for eco-justice?

3) What keeps you hopeful?

Please share your thoughts on the United Church Facebook page, on Twitter at #ModEarth, or here on WonderCafe so they can be shared with the Earth Day webcast audience.

carolla's picture

carolla

Just wondering if the broadcast will be archived for later viewing by those of us who unfortunately cannot listen in at the actual time?  If so, when & where should we expect to find it?  Many thanks!

WonderCafe's picture

WonderCafe

Yes, I believe it will be recorded and available for viewing later. I'll post the location here when we know.

Thanks!

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

What a neat idea; this is what the future looks like :3

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Ooo, nice Dr Who UCC stole...nice occult symbols :3

AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

The Moderator's Earth Day webcast was pretty awesome. Great way to come together for inspiration with lots of folks doing great eco-justice work! 

The video is now available here, on loop, 24/7!

http://www.livestream.com/unitedchurchcda

DKS's picture

DKS

And only available to urbanites on high speed internet. No eco-justice for the poor whoo can't afford it or don't have it!

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

DKS wrote:
And only available to urbanites on high speed internet. No eco-justice for the poor whoo can't afford it or don't have it!

Didn't your G_d have something to say aboot that? :3

I heard a lot of new jargon to me, one of them is "ecojustice", which for some reason brings a chill to me (and sounds like something Darkwing Duck could say)

As Bruce Sterling said, the future is here, it just isn't evenly distributed yet :3

Back to Church Life topics
cafe