Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

church, sunday june 1/14

How was your worship experience this past Sunday?

I attended a wonderful United Church service. It was a service of Chaleur United Congregation, and held at St. John's United Church in Dalhousie, New Brunswick.

The minister, Kent Gibbons, gave a good and missional message called, "The Partnership of Worship and Witness."

I enjoyed praying the congregational prayers, and singing the hymns which included Come Now, Almighty King, The Risen Christ, Shout for God, Christ has no Body Now but Yours, To Render Thanks unto our God, and Crown Him with Many Crowns.

The Scripture-reader also did a very good job.

For me this was quite possibly my best United Church service ever.

Share this

Comments

RitaTG's picture

RitaTG

Wonderful to hear Dcn Jae!

It was a landmark Sunday for me as well....

For the first time I was the person taking care of the children's Sunday school session.

What a privilage!  .... I would never have been allowed anywhere near the children in the church I was formerly with...

I am blessed smiley

Rita

BetteTheRed's picture

BetteTheRed

Wonderful service for me, too! Must have been a Sunday of special services.

We were back in our sanctuary after two weeks in the Hall while new hardwood floors (and a new piano) were being installed in the chancel. The sound was a little erratic while the tech tried to adjust to the new circumstances (thick carpet to hardwood plus the new piano), but it was a wonderful treat to be 'back home' in 'my' usual pew.

Glad you enjoyed your most recent UCC experience, Jae. I suspect you might find a noticeable absence of Kings and Hims in our service, lol.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Didn't make it to church, though I wanted to. It was a guest minister and I've heard good things about him before. We are now more or less officially lay-led (our minister is doing one more service and then, if all goes according to plan, he's headed to a UU fellowship in Minnesota). No plans for another minister at this point as we were going to end the pastoral relationship early next year anyhow for financial reasons.

Mendalla

seeler's picture

seeler

It must have been the week for excellence.  We had a baptism; and an adult reconfirmation of faith.  Both very meaningful.  

carolla's picture

carolla

I was in Newfoundland - it's conference weekend, and so the local church did not hold a service.

Rita - love that you're doing the kids programme!  wonderfulness!

Jae - thanks for sharing your positive UCCan experience - that's a nice change to hear from you

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

RitaTG wrote:

Wonderful to hear Dcn Jae!

It was a landmark Sunday for me as well....

For the first time I was the person taking care of the children's Sunday school session.

What a privilage!  .... I would never have been allowed anywhere near the children in the church I was formerly with...

I am blessed smiley

Rita

That must have been exciting for you Rita. What did you teach? How many kids were there, and what ages were they?

RitaTG's picture

RitaTG

Hello Dcn Jae.....

4 little ones last Sunday ..... 3 preschool age.... 1 in grade two

We were doing the beginning of the story of Moses.

As a craft I got a bunch of little toys from the dollar store....

These were to represent the toys and things that the princess would have been giving Moses as he was growing up....

I had also bought some striped face cloths .....

These were to represent the special blanket that the mother of Moses had wrapped him in.

The blanket was a special reminder of his mom, and his people.

It is also a reminder to remember who you are and to have the courage to honour that.

I had the oldest one help the others write the name of the child on the top of the cloth and the name of the mother on the bottom.

The lesson went well and the children were very happy.....

Thank you for asking smiley

Rita

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

carolla wrote:

I was in Newfoundland - it's conference weekend, and so the local church did not hold a service.

Jae - thanks for sharing your positive UCCan experience - that's a nice change to hear from you

Thanks carolla. I could keep attending Chaleur United if I lived in that country region.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

carolla wrote:

Giwing credit where credit is due. I'm not ready to conwert or anything :)

carolla's picture

carolla

Dcn. Jae wrote:

phew!  I was worried there for a minute! wink

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

carolla wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

phew!  I was worried there for a minute! wink

I would miss the Baptist potlucks.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

I went to church on a remote lake in my kayak. Thoroughly enjoyable time that  left me with a singing soul and a little bit a sunburn on my nose!  

Back to Church Life topics