UCC-GCO's picture

UCC-GCO

Moderator's Easter Message 2013

See video

Moderator Gary Paterson asks people to put on "Resurrection glasses" to see the events of our lives in new ways. Watch the video here or on YouTube , or download a version you can share with your church from united-church.ca

Share this

Comments

Arminius's picture

Arminius

Good message. All I can say to it is a resounding "Amen."

mark1129's picture

mark1129

thanks for posting that

i enjoyed those words, i actually undersand what he was saying

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Gary Paterson is an excellent speaker!

GeoFee's picture

GeoFee

Here is what the folk gathered in Chase heard Easter morning:

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

Well said, Gary! But instead of putting on "resurrection glasses" maybe we need to be discarding the distorting lenses of despond.

Why is it so hard to see the magnificence of life? Of human life? Of all life?  How can we possibly take for granted the beauty and abundance that is everywhere and, oh yes… why do we not spend our days drinking from the “dayspring to the dimness in us”? 

Wouldn’t the World be different if we were instead as selectively blind to the storms and confusions — they pass leaving nothing that isn't sustained by clung-to resentment, unforgiveness and constantly stoked anger.  Why aren't we oblivious to the laughable pointlessness of greed, the futility of sustaining illusions of “possession”, of petty “comfort”, of “power”?  …the allures of “entertainment”, tittilation  and distraction? How can we ask, "what is the point?" If our ego is so important, how come it is so seldom fun? Why do we let ourselves slip into enslavement?

The REAL world is the drama of rushing faith, like the river today: flashing, glinting, fast and clear… rushing against the cold wind, whispering that it’s haste is towards an ocean of joy, calling me to follow… and pulling the life force up out of the ground and into the air was the will of god.  EVERY day choruses with voices of delight!

Jesus' life and teachings are vigorous, like the river, freeing and enlivening. Jesus showed that death is NOT the point… death is an illusion. LIFE is real, life is the energy of love; love heals everything that opens to it and all that opens to it turns to love.

Why is it so hard to see? Why the closed eyes, hearts, minds? Why is so much else so “important”?

Or am I as mad as a tick?

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

I just hit "save" on my previous post and went, as one does, to Facebook and here's a friend's post, along with a photo showing drips and bandages and the rest::

---------

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit.

This photo was taken Feb 2012... I've came so far since then and I'll keep fighting :)

--------

Over a year of cancer and this young Scottish piper is romping with life: a true heroine!

stardust's picture

stardust

Gary , George,Mike P., Arminius and All....living proof that Christ is Risen.......yes

I'll Rise Again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=j7_Bh0jAY5w&feature=endscreen

Back to Church Life topics
cafe