Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Wondercafe2 : IT'S ALIIIIIVE!

* Lightning and thunder crash around the laboratory *

* Ominous music swells on the soundtrack *

* Three figures huddle over a computer cackling madly *

"It's Aliiiiive!" they shout in unison.

Five other figures gathered around them mutter nervously and start edging towards the door...

Yes, it's been alluded to and discussed already in another thread, but the rumours are true: Wondercafe2 is up and running. There are a few threads going and good core of users already posting but we're eager to have more join us.

Want to come over and have a look?

Head to www.wondercafe2.ca.

1. In the top right corner of the browser window locate "Log in or Sign Up" and click it.
  2. Enter a valid email address and choose "No, Create an account now".
  3. Click "Sign Up"

And you're off to the races...

Chemgal has put together a lot of good, basic info so once you are in, head to the Tips & Techniques forum to learn more about how to use Wondercafe2. That's also where you can post questions and get answers.

Stay a while ... stay FOREVER!!! Mwahahahaha!

Mendalla "Who will give a virtual banana to anyone who knows where that last line is from"

Share this

Comments

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

PS. if you see this thread slipping from Recently Active, bump it please. I may not be here to watch it and I'm not sure how much the other mods and admins are still on here.

Mendalla

chansen's picture

chansen

Due to a personal internal wiring problem, I'll probably be here until it goes offline.

BetteTheRed's picture

BetteTheRed

Well, I tried to sign in using the password mailed to me, and it's not working... help!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

One note.

You will be sent an email by the system after registering

You must follow the instructions there to complete your registration

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Will check that out bette

gecko46's picture

gecko46

I dunno, Mendalla.  Evil, viilainous laugh - Vincent Price, maybe.

Expect Redbaron would know - he uses it.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

By the way, if you want the answer, you'll have to check WC2 wink

gecko46's picture

gecko46

Mendalla wrote:

By the way, if you want the answer, you'll have to check WC2 wink

Pretty crafty, Mendalla, pretty crafty!

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

in answer to Mendalla's riddle, i won't spoil it totally because i want someone else to actually spell it oot, but i really still adore the C 64 ;3

Rev. Steven Davis's picture

Rev. Steven Davis

But if none of us want to spoil it so that someone else can answer it then how will it ever get answered?

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

42?

gecko46's picture

gecko46

Didn't Dr. Frankenstein say,  "It's Aliiiiive!"  when his creation woke up?

Don't know about the villainous laugh though...

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Run, don't walk, to the new wondercafe2 . . . it is wonder-ful!

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

I posted on FaceBook. It works. I just heard from Boots..Advertizing helps.

Boots's picture

Boots

Hopefully I will get to keep my user name!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Boots, your name was picked up as a possible spammer

I overrode the alert and approved you

Rowan's picture

Rowan

My Hubby tells me that "Stay a while...stay forever" comes from an old computer game called something like Impossible Mission

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Rev. Steven Davis's picture

Rev. Steven Davis

Rowan wrote:

My Hubby tells me that "Stay a while...stay forever" comes from an old computer game called something like Impossible Mission

And you win a prize! It was mainly used on the old Commodore 64 system.

Boots's picture

Boots

Thanks Pinga! Got to keep my user name!
Can't find my avatar pic though so I had to go with a different one.
Oh well, change is good right?

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Rev. Steven Davis wrote:

Rowan wrote:

And you win a prize! It was mainly used on the old Commodore 64 system.

That's the one. Impossible Mission remains one of my all-time favorite video/computer games. Period. Minimal to no violence (just you getting fried by robots if you eff up, which I frequently did) but lots of action that also required you to do some thinking and strategizing. Apparently there was a Nintendo DS and Wii port of it out as recently as 2008 but I never saw it in the time my son had a Wii.

Rowan (or her husband, I guess) gets the banana.

Mendalla

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I'm really enjoying the new site.  I hope more WCers come join us, along with some new posters!

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Wondercafe2 is great fun.

redhead's picture

redhead

Out of curiosity, I have noted on various threads  that there is UCCan affiliation with WC2.  Pinga and Aaron may want to explain how there is no affiliation, as the WC2 site states.

gecko46's picture

gecko46

Maybe because you can take the people out of the church, but you can't take the church out of the people.

chansen's picture

chansen

redhead, may the thinly veiled accusations fly forever from your account. They are ever so endearing.

We've been over this before, but the UCCan has leant their support to this endeavour of WC2, in the form of links from various UCCan-controlled sites (including their Facebook page), an article in the Observer, and things I'm probably forgetting. Also, the fact that they started this community merits them some acknowledgement.

In return, the UCCan has been invited to have a non-voting seat on the WC2 council. Currently, Aaron fills that role.

So, there is a historical connection, there is some support from the UCCan, and the UCCan has a liaison with WC2.

We are not controlled by the UCCan, we are not funded by the UCCan. No one should mistake us for the UCCan. We're just friends with benefits.

redhead's picture

redhead

So the disclaimer, at the bottom of the WC2 page, as it reads:

The original site www.wondercafe.ca was sponsored by the United Church of Canada; however, wondercafe2 has no official affiliation with it or any other denomination.

is not entirely accurate.

chansen's picture

chansen

Nor is it entirely inaccurate. We have no allegiance to the UCCan. We receive no money from them. They have no say. They are observers, and they keep us up to date with the goings on with the UCCan. They link to us.

If another denomination linked to us and directed their members here, they could have the same liason status. Would that denomination be "affiliated" with us? That's debatable, at best.

If you think it's inaccurate, then rewrite it. There is certainly no attempt here to deceive anyone, as we've been as up front as we could be about this and every other stupid thing you've complained about.

This is the part you don't get: This is a community endeavour. People have stepped up and asked, "What can we do?" And we set them to work. You've done nothing but ask how you can distract the community with small details and insistances that we do things the rest of us rejected as unneccessary or counter-productive. And so you continue to take pot shots from afar. You don't help, you just criticize.

But here's the thing: Wondercafe2.ca is working. We're already more active than all the United Church-related feedback sites, Facebook pages and Twitter accounts put together. We've done it on the shoestring budget you said it couldn't be done for.

We do not dislike you as a person, but we're frustrated beyond belief at how you've handled your input into WC2. That you've consistently been wrong is one thing. That you keep insisting on criticizing us, with your track record of being hopelessly inept at this stuff, is something else entirely.

Are we "affiliated" with the UCCan? We have a couple of agreements in place, and they update us on UCCan-related stuff. We're friendly with the UCCan. Well, maybe not me, but WC2 as a community is. We could be friendly with another denomination as well if they liked. They, like the UCCan, would not have any say over the content of WC2.

So, please, if you don't like that sentence, rewrite it instead of blasting us for something that is really a very minor point. Here, let me start for you:

The original site www.wondercafe.ca was sponsored by the United Church of Canada, and while Wondercafe2 maintains a liaison with the United Church, wondercafe2 is produced by independent community members and is not financially supported or controlled by the UCCan or any other denomination.

There's what you could have done - rewritten the sentence and put it out for discussion. Instead, you just want to be a pain in the ass again, for no obvious alternate reason than to be a pain in the ass and try to make us look bad.

We, the original admins, moderators, and the community, are doing this in our spare time, and with little formal experience. Given that, I humbly suggest we've done a marvellous job, and if you want to help, then produce something positive. If you just want to criticize, take your atrocious instincts for this work elsewhere.

redhead's picture

redhead

Thank you, Chansen.  It is not about me.  It is merely about transparency.

Perhaps the disclaimer at the bottom of WC2 page might be ammended to reflect such a liaison.

I offered positve help many times, and in many ways, that were rejected -which is fair enough.

This observation is not a criticism.  Rather, an observation.  Certainly WC2 wants to be transparent.  Understanding a continuing relationship with UCCan is a part of that transparency.

Good to know for everyone involved.

redhead's picture

redhead

As an aside, I offered skills and resources, specifically (or as chansen puts it, formal) that could aid in supporting, maintaining and nurturing WC2 - but  my offers were not welcomed.  Fair enough - but do not ever state that all I have offered is negative.  And if I observe issues, well I did not create what is observable.

chansen's picture

chansen

You've been a pain in the ass and you've been wrong more than Dick Cheney.

redhead's picture

redhead

abusive ad hominem demonstrates the lack of decorum inherent in the person delivering such statements. 

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

redhead, what ever is wrong? Chansen is telling the truth as most of us see it.

redhead's picture

redhead

crazyheart lead the way.

All I asked is for clarity regarding WC2 and its ongoing relationship with UCCan.

Remeber when you wrote on another thread and questioned whassup with that?

And Aaron replied.

Well, for transparency, I suggest that WC2 acknowledges the ongoing relationship with UCCan - currently that is not reflected on WC2.  It is reflected in posts written by Aaron, Pinga, and, upthread, by chansen.

So, an observation is made.  Do with it what you will.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

So, instead of saying hey guys you may want to adjust the wording to something like......, you do your standard play.

Redhead, if you wonder why we get tired is you drain us in our attempts to be respectful

The site is up
It is running
Folks are having fun
It looks good

Stay here and throw stones if you choose

chansen's picture

chansen

redhead wrote:

abusive ad hominem demonstrates the lack of decorum inherent in the person delivering such statements. 

Actually, I thought the Dick Cheney line was good.

Look, right now, we're working on some webserver settings so we can discuss penis enlargement pills for cocker spaniels without fear of the webserver rejecting the posts, subforum names and descriptions, acceptable uses of the forum, possible spam accounts, and other things. Tweaking the wording about our affiliation/association/friendship with the UCCan is not high on our radar at the moment. Further, the nature of the relationship has been discussed here before, so if you disagreed with the statement, you could have just tweaked it then. Rehashing it now looks like you grinding an axe again. I don't see anyone else saying, "Oh no! The statement of non-affiliation at the bottom of the site isn't technically 100% correct!" And even that is debatable. I just don't care to debate it with you.

Redhead, if you want to come over, come over. Your input on forum threads would be more than welcome. After these last few months, your input on the forum itself is usually unhelpful and unwelcome. If you want that sort of input, step carefully and be constructive. If you want to fill a role, fill a role that we've identified as a necessary one, not a role or task that everyone else has dismissed as unnecessary.

Alex's picture

Alex

redhead wrote:

Perhaps the disclaimer at the bottom of WC2 page might be ammended to reflect such a liaison.

I offered positve help many times, and in many ways, that were rejected -which is fair enough.

This observation is not a criticism.  Rather, an observation.  Certainly WC2 wants to be transparent.  Understanding a continuing relationship with UCCan is a part of that transparency.

The word affiliation is modified by the word "official"   IF there was no affialtion at all, the sentence would not need any modifier at all.

THere is no attempt to conceal  anything. JUst different way to say things.  How elese would one say there is a kink, but nothing foraml or official?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I like the way the forum names were changed this week.

Suggestion for new forum. Banter back and forth, new name, trying it out

We also had an authority issue on a new forum. ChemGal graciously pointed it out by conversation and the issue was resolved

Life is good when we work together for a common goal

stardust's picture

stardust

Hi pinga

Will WC2 be in Google? Do you have to set it up with Google  for that?  When someone clicks on the old WC link ( there are a lot of them on the net) will the new WC2 automatically come up after June 30?

I hope so because we have a lot of lurkers here on WC, at last count there are over 1500 lurkers  on my Unicef India thread. Some new lurkers  may take the leap and jump onboard WC2.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Stardust, google is picking up WC2 already.  How do you know how many lurkers you have on a thread?

As far as I know, you can't just change a google link.  A page can automatically redirect, but that would be up to the UCCan.  From my understand, the plan is to have a clickable link here, which I think is sufficient.

stardust's picture

stardust

Proof from "my private  discussion files" -26 replies, 1561 lurkers or views. Of course the same people are probably  returning to read more, still obviously the number is high.

Global Issues Unicef's Ad Campaigns Against Outdoor Poop in India...Yes! 'Jun 14, 2014' 26 1,561

chemgal's picture

chemgal

A view doesn't equal a lurker.  If someone who posts views the page multiple times, those are all counted.

stardust's picture

stardust

Hi chemgal

Here's a sample re lurkers or views  of what I understand listed  under "my (own)  discussions" up top.

Its been the reason I  post topics on here because I seldom get much interest from anyone at the WC. I do figure some others are reading and maybe liking my stuff...:) 

Forum

Title

Posted onsort icon

Replies

Views

Global Issues Video of Audi parking itself - high tech. you bet 'Jun 23, 2014'   43    
Global Issues Google to Build Self Driving Cars...Wow...! 'Jun 22, 2014'   32    
Politics Police Need a Warrant to Access Internet Information 'Jun 22, 2014'   189    
Social Speed Test for Your Computer 'Jun 22, 2014'   33    
Religion and Faith Wonderful Hymns from Voices United - UC Hymnal- by Alex 'Jun 14, 2014'   81    
Social A Blessing for Our New WC2 'Jun 14, 2014' 5 132    
Global Issues Unicef's Ad Campaigns Against Outdoor Poop in India...Yes! 'Jun 14, 2014' 26 1,564    
Politics Kathleen Wynn Liberal Majority- Hallelujah ! 'Jun 12, 2014' 19 899

stardust's picture

stardust

chemgal

Yes, I agree. I know what you're saying. Its all good. But forums I've been on always wanted to be connected, to be  hooked up to Google to get lots of traffic they said. The whole world is on google.........:)

So, according to what you're saying if I see WC on the net and I click it after June 30th. I won't get put through to the new WC2? I will get some sort of a message or zilch?

Perhaps if I click it on   it will still go to the old WC since Google is like Vegas....joke..what goes on in Google stays in Google forever and ever...amen?

stardust's picture

stardust

Edit:

I mean our threads or topics on the  WC  are always on Google. Are the WC2 topics on Google? I don't mean the website itself, I know it is.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Yes, here's an example:

https://www.google.ca/#q=site:wondercafe2.ca+itchy+feet

From what I understand, when you come here after June 30, there will be a message about how wondercafe is closed, but a site has been started by new members with a link - or something to that effect.

I think google does clear over time.  I know the cache pages aren't forever.  I don't know all the specifics.

stardust's picture

stardust

chemgal

That's great and the topic... its so funny...because I have itchy feet too!

I think when we see 100,000's of the same topic listed on google there must be a giant archive or it does delete as you perceive.  I have followed Google for the fun of it to the  bitter end of some topic pages on Google  only to discover it stops really short of what it advertises up top on a topic. There might be 100 or less pages on any given Google topic.

WC2 is off to the races, that's fantastic and it all happened so fast really....enlightened.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

View counts are also bots. There are lots of them.

So, could be not human, or some poor person paid to find open sites, or someone reading it or someone posting

It is a measure, though not a great one

stardust's picture

stardust

Pinga

Thx. I didn't  understand bots.

I found this forum that names some of them so now I have a better idea.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2216081

Back to Church Life topics
cafe