Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

2014 Songs We're Lovin'

The old thread is taking a long time to load due to the number of videos, so I thought I'd kick off a new one for the new year.

To start off, I give you "To Love Somebody", a classic Bee Gees tune covered by Canadians Bobby Bazini and Serena Ryder. These are the two of the best young pop singers in this country and they are two great tastes that go well together.

See video

Mendalla

Share this

Comments

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Jobam's picture

Jobam

We were in Sault Ste. Marie, MI last week and picked up Celine Dion's new CD for $6.99 - don't bother.  Glad I didn't pay full price.

Jobam's picture

Jobam

Hey, is anyone going to see Cher in Toronto?

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

I gave up on Celine a couple decades ago. Beautiful voice but never took any chances so her repetoire ended up kind of boring and samey after a while. I've always thought her high point was "It's all coming back to me now" by Meatloaf collaborator Jim Steinman (Meatleaf himself recorded it but after Celine) and that was 1986. Steinman's epic power ballad sensibilities seemed to bring out the best in her.

As for Cher, not my taste in music. I think the last song I Iiked by her was "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves" from 1971 (which I likely first heard much later given that I was 6 in 1971).

Mendalla

Beloved's picture

Beloved

I like Cher, but personally would have preferred to see her in concert 15-25 years ago.  I think for me it would be sad to see her now.

chansen's picture

chansen

Is she going to wear clothes this time? Even Cher can only turn back time so far.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Okay, too much chat here and not enough music. Some songs by the Youtube artists I am currently enjoying to liven things up.

See video

(Kina Grannis live with one of her own songs)

See video

(Kina with the lead singer of the band Boyce Avenue cover one of my favorite U2 songs)

See video

(Boyce Avenue original, done for charity)

See video

(Marie Digby with a one-take acoustic performance of one of her own songs)

And click here to visit my Youtube Favorites if you want to keep up with what else I watch/listen to.

Mendalla

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

You can never have too much Serena Ryder and she has yet another single out from Harmony, her latest album.

See video

Mendalla

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Here's my first stabs in this futureworld of 2014

Came across the latest issue of the Vancouver Vector whose front page caught my I

www.vancouvervector.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Gaytheist_photo-credit_James-Rexroad-620x350.jpg

(... bears in a thicket...got me with one...)

An interview with a Vancouver band, Gaytheist

Here's a vid interview with them

See video

Here's a sample of their work.  Lotza energy here

See video
Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Tom Wilson, Stephen Fearing, and Colin Linden, aka Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, are back with a new album.

See video

Mendalla

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Imagine Dragons seems to be the hot band du jour. I was hesitant about them when I first heard of them, but having listened to them a few times, they are growing on me. the clincher was hearing them on the CBS tribute to the Beatles last night doing "Revolution" beautifully (second or third best performance on the show easily). 

A couple live performances of their own songs from a recent appearance on Saturday Night Live:

See video

Adding rap to an already excellent song is usually superfluous or harmful, but Kendrick Lamar's performance actually works well. Apparently this was the second time they did the version with Lamar (he wasn't part of the original recording).

See video

Alas, the aforementioned performance of The Beatles' Revolution is not available on Youtube at present.

Mendalla

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Then there's Ed Sheeran. Damn, this guy is good. This song is from the second Hobbit movie.

See video

And a couple more:

See video

See video

Mendalla

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

such childlike enthusiasm

See video

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Two of my favorite Youtube artists have teamed up on a cover of "Pompeii" by up and coming British band Bastille. I think it's the first time Kina Grannis and Peter Hollens have worked together and they make a great team.

See video

And the original:

See video

Mendalla

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Meanwhile, Peter's wife Evynne has another video of her own out with regular accompanist Nathan Alef. 

See video

And, in case it isn't obvious, the Hollens musical family will be a trio very soon.

Mendalla

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

I am not a Gleek. Never watched the show ever. But, damn, this lady can sing. Lea Michele, best known for Glee, with a fantastic single from her current album (this is a live performance on Ellen).

See video

Mendalla

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

another single, "Mountain Top", by white rock pier supergroup Tommy Alto

See video

feel the canadianianity sheeting through your soul (which is made of, if you're canadian, cbc reruns and maple syrup)

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Just came across this on Youtube. A new version of Aerosmith's "Dream On" done as a tribute to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing. It's Steve Tyler and Joe Perry from the band backed by a children's choir.

See video

One funny thought I had: Steve and Joe are old enough to be those kids' grandfathers (Steve has a grandchild via his daughter, actress Liv Tyler. Not sure about Joe).

Mendalla

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

sister cristina scuccia continues to wow audiences worldwide with her rendering of "no one"

See video

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Uncle Jed: Winners of Australias Got Talent

See video

Back to Popular Culture topics
cafe