Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Room for all part 5

Wondercafe is a busy place.  Kind of like a Union Station....a hub of activity with people coming and going all the time.  I'm a people watcher and love to sit in a place like a train station marvelling at all the different types of people that I see and imagining what their lives are like. 

Wondercafe offers us even more.  Here we get to see and meet all kinds of people but even better yet we are offered glimpses into their lives.  They share life's joys, questions, celebrations, disappointments, worries, ambitions, concerrns and even share in their time of loneliness and grief.  And in this place, where people are busy, and people are coming and going, we do what few people do in the real world.  We stop and listen.  We reach out.  And hopefully we help one another.

In some corners of the room people it may get noisy as people banter back and forth.  In other corners of the room it is much quieter, as people not only listen, but they reflect and carefully choose their responses to the person in crisis.  In some areas of the room we ponder life's big questions.  Other areas of the room are silly and often resemble a party of one type or another.  So many people, so many different lives, all carrying different things in their suitcases, and THIS UNION station offers room for all.

In another thread posters were remembering that there are many here missing loved ones this Christmas.  While many celebrate Christmas with decorations, parties, shopping trips and anticipation of a full house....others are wondering what this Christmas will mean with an empty chair.  Some are looking towards Christmas wondering where they will be, who they will be with or who they might be without.  Some who visit here don't believe in Christma.  So how do you decorate the Union Station?

I am opening the doors wide in this thread.  The room is big, the room is inviting, the room is warm.....there is room for all.  Enter in and bring with you whatever you like....you may add decorations to fill the space, you may offer food to nourish others, you may bring only yourself and tell us how you're doing.  You are welcome here.  I'll be happy to see you and sit for a while.   Please continue to welcome others as they enter in and if I'm not in sight, please tend to their needs.  This is a busy union station of people coming and going.  Let's make sure that everyone is recognized and that their needs are met.  If they are happy, let's share in their joy.  If they are sad, let's offer them an ear, a hug and a caring heart.  If they are lost, let's offer them hope that they'll find their way and perhaps some guidance.  If they are hungry, let's feed them.

There is room for all.

Share this

Comments

carolla's picture

carolla

I will no doubt be up to the bathroom at some point & will remember to look out the window too!  I like eclipses!

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Good morning all!

I didn't see a blood moon, or an eclipse, or anything else in the sky . . . I think I slept all night long til 6:15 - a good sleep.  Hope you had a good sleep too chemgal, and hope your health issues turn around soon.

What did you seen, carolla?

Tea on, coffee ready, croissants and spreads on the table, fruit and yogurt there too.

This day will only pass by once . . . going to try to make the best of it smiley - have a good one!

Hope, Peace, Joy, Love . . .

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Beloved.  I woke up a few times, but fell back asleep ok, never bothered to get out of bed.  I'm actually pretty rested, considering my stress level and the fact that I had a pretty long nap yesterday.

I'll need to find low energy distractions today.  I do want to get out shopping quickly, otherwise I think it's going to be the internet, netflix and reading.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

I'm off to Phoenix on Thurs for easter weekend, with a friend from work. We just booked a segway tour!

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

double post

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Here it was around midnight. Full Moon - burgandy in colour. Didn't see it. It will be a couple more times this month, I think. It is a lunar eclipse.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Awww, wished I hadn't missed it.  Must have been awesome.

Travel safely and have a blast, Tabitha!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Heard it wasn't visible in the East.

I had a phone call with Tabitha last night, in preparation for our real life adventure, which is why I am headed to Vancouver as well.

It was good to hear a voice instead of just text or images.

We have snow today. I am taking a short break from work to post and relax.

Hoping everyone's day is going well

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Calgary stabbing of 5 students by son of policeman. University end party in quiet neighbourhood. It has stunned anyone who hears it.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

A BSD party?  I think I saw a headline about a stabbing, didn't look into it, I should look it up.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Wow, that's awful . . . a lot of broken hearts and pain in Calgary today and in the days ahead.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

It was a Bermuda Shorts Party :(

I have fond memories of celebrating them.  Starting off early at pancakes and baileys parties.  Going to classes with special drinks in waterbottles.  It could be 20C the day before, but most of them ended up snowing for at least a portion of the day, sometimes quite a bit.  People would stay lined up for hours anyway to get into the beer gardens.  In the evening there were celebrations throughout the city, which was a big thing as it's a commuter campus.

It was immature but lots of fun.  The hospitals would have an increase of alcohol poisonings, but for the most part there wasn't too much trouble.  Free public transit to discourage drunk driving.  Exams aren't written yet, so it's a nice way to have a break before hard core studying starts.

This wasn't even a big party.

carolla's picture

carolla

Sad to hear of the party gone tragically wrong - seems it happens more than we would like to think. 

Tabitha - segway tour - what FUN!  I've always thought that would be an interesting thing to try - hopefully there will be pictures!  And the warm Phoenix weather will be a treat too!

No eclipse visible here - just rainfall, cloudy sky, and by morning - snow on the ground again! 

Went to a lecture on Buddhism this morning - fascinating!  Interesting to hear of the many, many similarities in the life story  of the Buddha, and Christ.  Makes one wonder. 

Hilary's picture

Hilary

I thought the eclipse was supposed to be tonight. 

So, I guess I will just go with the crowd on this one...  "It was too cloudy at my house."  Yea... that's it!

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Hilary wrote:

I thought the eclipse was supposed to be tonight.

So, I guess I will just go with the crowd on this one...  "It was too cloudy at my house."  Yea... that's it!

lol There's a good chance it was!

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

I heard about the Calgary stabbings -*shakes head in dismay*.

Pinga - are you going on a canoe trip with Tabitha? That should be tres cooool!. And Tabitha is jaunting off to Phoenix to warm up, sounds like fun.

I missed the sky event - cloudy.  Darn it anyway every time something interesting is going on up there it is cloudy, snowing or -40!  This winter I missed several opportunities to get aurora photos  *pouts*.

Had lunch with a group of old fogy friends today and got caught up on some news in teir lives, whic is always enjoyable. 

Also popped into the drugstore and bought some reading glasses so I can see the writing on the computer screen without squinting and straining. It seems like magic!  I can't say that I'm enjoying Windows 8.1.  Too many little pop up boxes with teensy writing in them!

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Naheed Nenshi from FB wrote:

UPDATE: There will be a community gathering at the University of Calgary at 4:30 this afternoon in MacEwan Hall A & B for anyone who wishes to attend.

On behalf of all Calgarians, my sincere condolences go out to the family and friends of the five young people who lost their lives so senselessly this morning. My thoughts are also with the University of Calgary as it deals with the impact of this loss to its own community. Our city is one of the safest in the world, and so when we are faced with such violence it can affect us in a very profound way. Every Calgarian is shaken to the core by the loss of good young people just getting started in their lives.

If you are struggling with this horrible news, please call 211 to be connected to resources that can help you. If you are faculty, students or staff at the University of Calgary, support services are available in the University of Calgary Wellness Centre classroom MSC 370. Please do not be afraid to ask for help. The community is here for you.

It is natural to speculate when these types of events occur. We want to know what happened, who was involved, and why the outcome was so horrific. Those details will come out in time as my colleagues at the Calgary Police Service continue their investigation.

For now, I just ask that you take extra care to respond to those around you with kindness and compassion. We all might need a little more of that today.

And, in particular, if you have university students in your life, please give them an extra hug today and let them know you're there for them.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

kaythecurler wrote:

Also popped into the drugstore and bought some reading glasses so I can see the writing on the computer screen without squinting and straining. It seems like magic!  I can't say that I'm enjoying Windows 8.1.  Too many little pop up boxes with teensy writing in them!

Too many things wrong with it to start with, which is why I still live in Windows 7. Make sure you get Update 1 for 8.1. (a) because it makes it more usable for conventional mouse and keyboard users and (b) because Mickeysoft won't be supporting base 8.1, only 8.0 and 8.1 Update 1. If your computer (or tab) is configured for automatic updates, you should pick it up automatically.

Mendalla

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Hope you got some cool and funky reading specs, Kay smiley.

Thanks for sharing that, chemgal.  Many persons lives changed in a moment.

. . . and that's why Mendalla is one of the "three" who is working so hard on Wondercafe2 (and doing a super job)  - I got left behind at "make sure you get Update 1 . . . " 

carolla's picture

carolla

Calgary has an awesome mayor ... he has my complete respect.

carolla's picture

carolla

GRRRRRR!!!!  Since it was a nasty afternoon, I decided to do our taxes.  Have used the H&R Block software for several years & it was easy to follow, and thorough - so I ordered it again this year.  TERRIBLE!  Not intuitive to use, & unable to even see the full detailed result unless it gets counted as a submitted return - and there is a limit on how many you can do. Line number, box numbers, error reports - very confusing.  The split income for pension amount is not working properly and I cannot figure out why - neither can the "support" guy on the phone - "elevating to level 2 support staff" somewhere in South Asia by the sound of it. They 'hope to' get back to me in 3-4 business days.  Really H&R???  I think this will be your last year with me!!  GRRRR!!!  

Okay - rant over.   I think I will go knit now.  All that lovely serenity from the Buddhism lecture this morning has left me!!  frown

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Peace, Harmony, Laughter, Love Carolla smiley.

All this on-line stuff isn't what it is cracked up to be sometimes  I spent a bit of time today trying to access my on-line subscription to our local newspaper.  They changed their way of getting it to their customers and the changeover is frustrating.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Peace, Harmony, Laughter, Love Carolla smiley.

All this on-line stuff isn't what it is cracked up to be sometimes  I spent a bit of time today trying to access my on-line subscription to our local newspaper.  They changed their way of getting it to their customers and the changeover is frustrating.

carolla's picture

carolla

That was definitely worth saying twice Beloved!  Peace, love and harmony & certainly laughter ... breathe in, breathe out ... knit one, purl 3 ... 

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Yes, KaytheCurler,I am going canoeing with Tabitha on a trip she is leading.  It is a wonderful gift to be able to do.

The snow here was still falling when I left work at 6pm tonight.  I was picked up by my oldestson who was feeling good about some stuff that is stressful.  

I was pondering Beloved and other's comments in this thread over the years of the concerns for children, in part due to the wisdom offered just a bit ago about the concerns we carry, and that it never goes away.

I am aware of the angst that I pick up for my children.  Not that I live their lives or direct them, but, just aware of when they are worried and hurting and realizing the importance of them working through it and being themselves, but, just like watching them run down the street, fall, and learn to pick themselves up with a gentle hug...so important to be able to do the same as they progress through lifes hurdles.

thinking of all parents of kids , even if those kids are 50

chemgal's picture

chemgal

This version of the room was started about a month ago, it doesn't take long to get quite a few pages!

I'm trying to relax before my treatment training tomorrow.  It isn't really working, but at least it's just general anxiety and it isn't giving me that sick feeling in my stomach, an improvement from a month ago.

I think I am recovering from an abnominal attack though, probably due to stress on top of some of the more chronic symptoms.  Hopefully the meds will work!

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

Oh Carolla - we always use Netfile (I think) and my sweetheart never has trouble with it.  Of course, he never has trouble doing taxes - he's weird that way.  (Or wired ;)  )  

I'd have been interested in that lecture!  It sounds fascinating.  No matter - the morning was a wild goose chase of sorts (for a few in my household too!) so maybe that is where your tax worries came from too.  That full moon maybe.

Anyway everything lightened up after lunch when my sister & her 3 boys came for a visit.  They live in NY state, so about 7 hours away and we dont' see them often.  The boys are 8, 6 & 1.5, so this was a treat for everyone.  We had a birthday party (even though the birth dates were last week) because cupcakes and candles are fun.  Plus my boy is their hero, so they were in a party mood.  It was tons of fun!

I got my stuff ready for our joint Good Friday service - good to check stuff off the list!  And now Easter intergenerational things, and some youth group stuff to plan.  BUsy but good.

Our youth group is busy, with some shadows for a couple of the kids.  We're planning a parent's night for next week along the lines of Pinga's thoughts - how do we help them help themselves, but first, let's create a safety net of caring, attentive  adults who can "Be the Village."  I only have 2 hours!!  And I"m not perfect at it either.  

Cheers everyone - coffee, cinnamon buns and a hug this morning.  (Anyone notice I've been around more?!  Part of my 'be kind to myself' plans!!)

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Birthstone, I love that "be the village" approach and caring attention.  It is hard.  It is harder if the parents of the ones having the most challenges aren't part of the solution.  Hoping you can walk the line that this takes.  Peace to you.  (gosh, I know that I am not perfect at this stuff.  very hard)

What a wonderful full house you have.  I bet your son is the apple of their eye.  Oh my goodness, I can hear the laughter (and all the other stuff of  house full of family).

My husband is off to Ottawa for a couple of days. So, just the boys and I.

I stayed up way too late cleaning up shared drives and sharepoint sites and my work computer.  Having been in the company for years and having been engaged in many projects, I had neglected to do cleaning.

My desk needs less attention, as I keep very little that I print, having moved my desk multiple times over the years.  I have now been 5 years in the same building, and have accumulated stuff again...need to likely do it one quiet afternoon (if only I had a quiet afternoon)

In a way it is like my house.  Living here for so many years, we slowly accumulate "stuff".  It has value...but less and less, and reality is, someone else can be using it.  Need to get busy purging again.  The house looks so much better when emptier.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I'll be headed out soon.  I'd appreciate any prayers, thoughts and well wishes to just stay calm and focused today, right now I am neither - thanks!

Hilary's picture

Hilary

Birthstone wrote:

Cheers everyone - coffee, cinnamon buns and a hug this morning.  (Anyone notice I've been around more?!  Part of my 'be kind to myself' plans!!)

Does that hug come with a little scratch between the shoulder blades? mmmm, thanks Birthstone!  I'm glad you are here and ready to hug.

Chemgal - calming prayers for you today.  You know what is best for you... rest, tea, and standing up for yourself when you don't think you're being heard.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

6pm last night a young man walked into the Cornwall Centre Mall down town. Stabbed 4 people. 3 were taken to hospital and one was treated and released. Everyone is okay this morning.

What is happening in our world? Gangs? Copycat?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

People trying to prove that you can kill people with knives as easily as guns.  (note: i disagree.  knives takes personal contact, up front, etc.  harder to kill a large #

Hilary's picture

Hilary

I'll check back when we're done talking about scary/sad things.  I don't watch the news so that I don't have to think about this stuff.

seeler's picture

seeler

Tears, discouragement and sadness when I think of all that is wrong in the world - wars and rumours of wars, climate changes, mass murder.   Is there any hope? 

Jesus came into the world preaching peace, justice, right relationships, the love of God, love for one another.  He not only preached it, he modelled it.  The kingdom of God is a hand.  Follow me, follow the way I live.   Two thousand years have passed.  Has anything changed? 

Somehow we have to see past the negative and find positive things to dwell upon.  Today we had about a dozen people show up at the church needing help.  We chatted with them.  One man walked with a limp.  He told me how he had broken his leg a few months ago - cutting wood.  'Do you qualify for  compensation?' I ask him.  We have volunteers who can help with legal advice and paper work.  But no, he was working with a self-employed friend who was cutting and selling firewood.  No compensation, no sick benefits.  Just laid up and no job.   He spent a week in the hospital, was shown how to use a crutch and sent home to live on Assistance ($510 or so a month) until he is able to work again.  He was so very grateful for the little help we were able to offer.  Jesus said feed the hungry.  We do our best. 

In the midst of the terrible things we hear about, there is hope.  Some day we will find a way to right the wrongs.  

So, while snow falls once again in NB, and the rivers rise - and young people are stabbed in Alberta - fires burn in Chili - and war threatens in the Ukraine - I do what I can.

Today I look forward to my new dishwasher.  Seelergirl and her special man are coming for dinner - after the two men go to Sears and pick up it up.   I'm serving scalloped potatoes, pork chops, and aspergus.  And I think there is an apple pie in the freezer from last fall. 

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

Seeler, I hope that self-employed friend is pitching in some help for the fellow with the broken leg.  what an awful story.

Chemgal - I hope today went better than expected, and you're home to rest and recover now. 

The parent's night thing is coming together and I'm always grateful for my co-leader who is also a life-coach.  He sees things a bit differently than me and we work well together.  With stabbings and recent local suicide of a teen, and all the regular troubles, we have to do whatever we can.  Too much sadness, but we can always create joy.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Hilary and Birthstone.  It was really hard.  There was a fire drill during the first time I tried.  I broke the skin but didn't even make it into the vein and I had to give up.  Doing it myself without having it done before was too much.  When I first showed up the nurse thought I would have had the medication before in emerg, but the last time I had an IV I would have been 0-2 years old.  Chemguy got into the vein his first try on me, but it wasn't set up properly.  We took a break for lunch and then learned how to prep the medication and then I was to try again and actually use the IV that time to infuse.

I got it that time.  The nurse helped secure it once I was in.  I felt so light headed but she was celebrating that I did it so that helped perk me up.  I started the infusion, felt really dizzy and laid back while Chemguy injected the rest.

I think as long as Chemguy is around to help I'll be ok.  That's not the case though, so I'll go in a few more times, hopefully doing it all by myself with supervision.  I will also have to learn to do it with both hands, I wasn't about to try doing it with my non-dominant hand today.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

Chemgal - that all sounds so challenging.  Is there someone else who could help you with it when chemguy is away from home?  Or somene else who does it and can give you some practical advice?  It doesn't sound safe to be alone while trying to do it, getting light headed with a needle in your hand sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.  I haven't heard about many people needing this type of treatment, but the ones I know of get it done in the Outpatients area of the hospital, or by a nurse at the Doctors Office, or by a nurse wo comes to their home. 

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Kay, if it was only scheduled treatment I probably would.  It's important to be able to treat in an emergency though.  I have to carry it with me wherever I go.  It's also nice to be able to have the freedom of not being tied down by appointments.  It's not a temporary condition, it's life-long.

The lightheadedness is all just psychological.  It will get easier, and when I say supervision I mean I will be going to the clinic for my next few scheduled doses until I feel comfortable.

I appreciate your concern and I know it will get better!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Chemgal, is it an IV needle that stays in your vein for a while (say 30min or so) or is it a needle that goes in for a short time..(hope you don't mind e asking)

I'm remembering IV needles being thicker than standard blood withdrawal needles

chemgal's picture

chemgal

It's 20mL that needs to be injected slowly, so about 10 min or so.  lol I really didn't have a good sense of time today to be certain.  It can't all just be pushed at once, a bit of a time and then you relax until you see blood in the tubing, repeat multiple times.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Chemgal, you are a brave, brave woman! I hope this all comes along well for you.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Saddened by your news of this recent incident crazyheart, does sound like a copycat, doesn't it?

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Seeler, glad you are getting your dishwasher installed. Do you like this special man in seelergirl's life? Hope he is a good person and treats her and her family well.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Seeler, glad you are getting your dishwasher installed. Do you like this special man in seelergirl's life? Hope he is a good person and treats her and her family well.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Thanks for the buns and hugs Birthstone, glad being here is part of being good to yourself. Enjoy your family time together!

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Hey Hilary, Pinga, and Kay! I disappeared for the day and the room was full and active. My good news - found some goat's milk yogurt in superstore!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Beloved I am in awe of your care an feedrng ofthis room

Thank-you

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Good practicing Chemgal and don't sign off until you feel really competetant. Take as long as you need and good for you being brave and learning this.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

lol I'm not that brave Beloved, there were a few tears after my first attempt.  Glad you got your yogurt :)

I will Tabitha!  Between the nurse and then maybe Chemguy a few times I won't be alone doing it the next little while.

It's nice to have this place to be able to have a place to run through the appointment.  It was long, not a full 8 hours, but I was there for 5.  Between the stress and the physical symptoms from the stress things have blurred together a bit.  I'm feeling pretty confident about what all the steps are and doing most of them though.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

I will try and lighten it up. Did you ever think , Beloved , that you would get excited over a goat.

Seeler, a dishwasher floats your boat.

Here are some coloured eggs and 3 chocolate eggs ( small( one for Pinga, one for Chemgal and one for Chemguy.

Back to Relationships topics