Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Room for all part 5

Wondercafe is a busy place.  Kind of like a Union Station....a hub of activity with people coming and going all the time.  I'm a people watcher and love to sit in a place like a train station marvelling at all the different types of people that I see and imagining what their lives are like. 

Wondercafe offers us even more.  Here we get to see and meet all kinds of people but even better yet we are offered glimpses into their lives.  They share life's joys, questions, celebrations, disappointments, worries, ambitions, concerrns and even share in their time of loneliness and grief.  And in this place, where people are busy, and people are coming and going, we do what few people do in the real world.  We stop and listen.  We reach out.  And hopefully we help one another.

In some corners of the room people it may get noisy as people banter back and forth.  In other corners of the room it is much quieter, as people not only listen, but they reflect and carefully choose their responses to the person in crisis.  In some areas of the room we ponder life's big questions.  Other areas of the room are silly and often resemble a party of one type or another.  So many people, so many different lives, all carrying different things in their suitcases, and THIS UNION station offers room for all.

In another thread posters were remembering that there are many here missing loved ones this Christmas.  While many celebrate Christmas with decorations, parties, shopping trips and anticipation of a full house....others are wondering what this Christmas will mean with an empty chair.  Some are looking towards Christmas wondering where they will be, who they will be with or who they might be without.  Some who visit here don't believe in Christma.  So how do you decorate the Union Station?

I am opening the doors wide in this thread.  The room is big, the room is inviting, the room is warm.....there is room for all.  Enter in and bring with you whatever you like....you may add decorations to fill the space, you may offer food to nourish others, you may bring only yourself and tell us how you're doing.  You are welcome here.  I'll be happy to see you and sit for a while.   Please continue to welcome others as they enter in and if I'm not in sight, please tend to their needs.  This is a busy union station of people coming and going.  Let's make sure that everyone is recognized and that their needs are met.  If they are happy, let's share in their joy.  If they are sad, let's offer them an ear, a hug and a caring heart.  If they are lost, let's offer them hope that they'll find their way and perhaps some guidance.  If they are hungry, let's feed them.

There is room for all.

Share this

Comments

seeler's picture

seeler

I hate to be always sharing bad news - but as I sit here at my computer I am waiting until it is not-too-early to call my daughter.  Snow squall in the early evening yesterday and she was rear-ended.  Car smashed up.  The last I heard from her she was at the hospital to have her neck and back checked - her man was with her - she didn't want us to come over.  She assured us that getting checked was a precaution; that she would be going home after she saw a doctor, or had x-rays, or whatever.  I'm still anxious.  That girl has one problem after another.  It isn't fair. 

My cold seems to be over now.   Sunshine today.   And its Sunday - after I hear from Seelergirl I'm off to church.  I'll go out to her place this afternoon.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

Sending calming, comforting thoughts your way seeler.  It is hard when we 'don't know'.  

Please let us know how this situation plays out for her and you! 

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

First off, good vibes to seeler and her family and others who have talked about issues upthread.

Got a date to meet with CCAC (CCACs are agencies that coordinate home and longterm care in Ontario) about my father. His dementia isn't getting any better and may be worsening. To top it off, he had a melanoma removed from his back and we are awaiting word on whether it spread. We're hoping they will get him on a priority list of LTC but we shall see.

It would be easier if he had appointed a single PoA but he made all three of us (I have two brothers) PoA so we all need to be in on all the decisions. I would rather it was one of us as a "point man" with the necessary powers consulting the others as needed. With my sister-in-law in longterm care and me working for a homecare company, we at least know more about the field than many families going into this.

Mendalla

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Sorry to hear that Seeler.  I imagine that since she went to the hospital to be checked out, she'll be pretty sore for a while.  Hopefully that's all that it is though!

Mendalla, sorry to hear about your father.  I hope the process goes smoothly for the 3 of you and you have similar ideas as to what's best for him.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

I had a blue evening last night. My own fault tho. I got stopped at a check stop coming home from a church meeting. Turns out my liscense expired in |Jan. I certianly didn't know.

Ironically I had my brakes fixed yesterday and had spent all day with a loaner car-dealer copied my liscence info down but also didn't check expiry.

Anyhow cop suggested I call someone. Diffiulty arose when I realized I'd need 2 people-one to drive my car and one to drive the driver home.

I insted asked to pull into the parking lot across the road.

Cop did offer me a ride home-but I was feeling upset enough at that point that i declined.

He was concerned about the cold. I wasn't as I pulled on my (edmonton) winer coat, hat and gloves.

So today I'll bike to church and tomorrow renew my liscense and pay the fine.

Feeling blue was partly due to my stupidity and partly feeling lonely and not wanting to bother 2 people.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I'm surprised he wouldn't let you just drive home, it's not like it was a big safety issue or something.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

No driving home as I don't have a lisense-tho I have to admit I'm tempted to go and drive the van home. It's only a few k. But the consequences of getting caught are high.

weighed against the low likelihood of getting caught-I've driven since Jan

anyhow glad it happened on weekend and not on a work day and I could have been out of town.

Remember when I was stopped in my pjamas? and couldn't find liscence? It was expeired then!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Tabitha, I realized that my drivers license and plate had expired a week after it had. I had been driving all week. (it expired when I was in san francisco).

I knew that I could have driven on the sat morning to the licensing agent, but, instead asked my oldest son to take me.  

The risk is not just worth the reward.  If someone were to hit you, you would still be an uninsured driver, etc.....

I get that sense of dang, who do I call....partially due to embarassment for me.

My license was alo lost once due to non-payment of a ticket (again related to travelling and not opening , remembering to do stuff.)

Lift up your spirits, it is part of the human experience to kick ourselves...especially those of us who pride ourselves on our independence and capabilities

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

We all make mistakes - get busy - don't get around to keeping our official lives in order. It does tend to make us feel a bit foolish.

It was the big day and one of my young was going to take the driving test.  Before leaving home we did the 'check' we are supposed to do every time we use a car - tyres, etc.I can't actually remember the rest!  Lo and behold the insurance had run out several weeks earlier.  We left early, parked a block from the office and I walked in and renewed.  Then we returned and parked outside the office and my kid went in to wait for the tester!

carolla's picture

carolla

Oh boo Tabitha - it happened to my son also - he, being a young man, and meeting a cranky cop, got charged with driving without a license, as well as having to call us to go get him, late at night.  He did go next day for renewal - it was his first time having to renew - and was later able to show in court that he'd taken prompt responsible action & the charge was dropped - he still had to pay a fine though.   I was telling the tale at work, and one of my collegues went & checked her license - and sure enough - expired!! 

Hope your daughter is fine seeler - wrap yourself up in your prayer shawl today. 

Mendalla - yes, those multiple POAs are troublesome; is he still capable to assign POA? (it's the lowest test of capacity, so possibly he may be).  I ask because if so, perhaps he could do a new one that facilitates decision making.  Or sometimes the other parties can submit a notarized letter authorizing just one of you to be primary decision maker/contact person. 

Hope your meeting went well Beloved!

carolla's picture

carolla

I arrived at church this morning to a nice surprise. Yesterday there was a concert in the sanctuary & so it was all reconfigured with scattered tables & chairs - so they left it that way for today's worship.  It was really nice, and there was much more social interaction than usual.  I like to step out of the ordinary sometimes & see what happens!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Carolla, what a treat re church setup.  I too enjoy those moments it allows for discoveries of new ways of being as well as what we value that we are missing.

Ageism and sexism at work on the plus for Tabitha and maybe not so much for your son, Carolla.  ...or maybe..just the difference between someone in a good mood and as you say a cranky one.   My son paid heavily for just paying a ticket instead of going and making a plea of notguility on a charge...sigh.

Mendella/Carolla, i thought that with my brother and i both having POA that either of us could make decisions.  Are you stating that we both have to make the decision?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

ps. mendella, sorry to hear about your father's decline. As I think others have mentioned, I am now moving into the space of most of our parents are gone...and I am sure the next step will be the loss of friends.

carolla's picture

carolla

pinga - I believe it's in the wording that's used - appointing " jointly" which I think means both must decide/sign etc. or "severally" which I think permits either to do so.  But I may be mistaken - will have to look that up to clarify. 

carolla's picture

carolla

Ah yes - here it is -  copied from:  http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/pgt/livingwillqa.pdf

If I appoint more than one attorney will they have to do everything 
together? 

Yes, unless you say in the CPOA that they can act “jointly and severally”. If you 
include this phrase, either of your attorneys will be able to act alone on your 
behalf. If one is away or sick, for example, the other would still be able to sign 
cheques and give instructions on your behalf. 

seeler's picture

seeler

Pinga - ask Qwerty or some lawyer, but I think it would depend upon the wording of the PoA - is it John, Jim and Jerry - or John, Jim or Jerry?   Does it say 'jointly' or 'individually'?    Something like a joint account - some are either/or and some are both signatures or two of three.    Seelerman's and my joint account either of us can access.  The bowling club's account requires any two out of three possible signatures.

Seelerman and I drove to Ontario, all around the place for two weeks, and back home - to discover a bit later that our car registration had expired four months previous  (that year NB was expermenting with not sending out notices of expiry date.  Another time I got stopped for speeding and discovered that my registration had expired a few days before.  The cop not only let me off with a warning for going 70 in a 50 zone, but let me drive the few blocks to the registration office.  My granddaughter was little then and with me in the car.  The next day she told her mother,  "Don't drive too fast going down this hill.  Yesterday a police man stopped Grammy and told her where to go."

Seelergirl is stiff and sore but otherwise ok.  The Emergency room was busy last night and she was considered low priority, so one of the nurses checked her, advised hot and cold compresses, and sent her home.  She is feeling ok today - but will call her doctor tomorrow.  I advised her to 'not be too nice' about the other guy's insurance - she may need physio in the future.  Meanwhile her car can be driven but will need extensive repairs (or a write-off - how much should she spend on an old car).

Pinga's picture

Pinga

oh, seeler, so much going on. Glad she is ok, but I am sure she feels stuff accumulating. Here's hoping that the insured vlaue is worth more than the car actually was and she can come out ahead.  Unlikely,but, we ca hope.

thanks folks, pulling out the POA.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

So I did bike to church and then back to the van (It's 1/2 way between here and church). I needed things out of it-bike lock, bike keys, sunglasses but finally just said the heck with it and drove it the 3 k home.

I wasn't uninusred Pinga-my insurance is upto date.

Not ideal but done and I'll bike tomorrow to get liscense renewed.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

aah, tabitha, i have always been concerned about if my license experes then is my insurance still valid as my basic condition of being a licensed driver is no longer valid. I have never checked the legaility of it, but, you hear about folks who drive after their license is suspended and so their insurance is invalid. I'm just paranoid on insurance and risk.

paradox3's picture

paradox3

Went to see Enemy this afternoon. Weirdest movie ever!

But I keep thinking about it. What did I miss? 

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Wow, what a time for seeler girl - hope all will be alright for her.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Mendella - a difficult journey for you with your dad. He is lucky to have you to travel it with him. Take care of yourself as you care for him.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Never heard of Enemy, Pardox3.  an erotic thriller? lol.

I have watched 2 guns today, and another action film, plus got a bunch of tidying done....but not the work stuff that i intended.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Tabitha, thinking of your expired license story - it is one you hear of from many. We need some kind of a "renew license alarm".

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Church meeting went well. Lasted til almost 4 pm, though. I am exhausted. Glad it is over. Glad I am now Past Chair instead of Chair:). Formed an ad hoc committee to fact find several options for dealing with budget deficit. Road ahead of difficult decisions.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Diminishing congregation with smaller financial and people resources, and the path to the door is not beaten down by new or younger persons. Similar story to many churches across the country. I am left wondering why church has to be so challenging and difficult and sad?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

sorry about that beloved, but, i think you deserve a break.  Glad you did your hard work

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Thanks Pinga, it will be what it will be. Glad you got your tidying done :)

Hilary's picture

Hilary

Pinga wrote:
Understood hilary, question what does a dedication look like

As others have said, it was basically a baptism without the water.  All friends and family were invited to stand at the front while Max was dedicated, so I was very glad that I went and felt like my presence was valued.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

tonight, i have been working on some of my plans for post-retirement.

It is a good thing to do, and timely and keeps me focussed on positive plans.

I also need to kick into gear some other plans for the summer, as the opportunity is there to meet up with some folks in vancouver...so much fun to finally meet somegal and ina and well, so many of you folks who live that way.  hoping i can figure out a roadtrip loop to hit a few of the BC folks.

I am thankful for this room, for the people who have posted over the years, for the lurkers and laughers.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Good morning all!

Sounds like a lot of exciting things going on in your world and life Pinga.  Retirement - for some the transition is easy, and for others it is a little more challenging . . . now that hubby has been retired for soon to be two years - I love retirement.  My only sadness is that my health issues have kept us from doing a lot of things we had hoped to do in our retirement - but I am looking forward to continued healing, and being able to do those things in the months and years ahead.

Wonderful that you get to go meet up with some Wondercafers :).

It is a beautiful sunny morning here - although -18 C.  I know spring has to arrive soon,but we are predicted cooler than normal temperature for a bit yet.  On one of the news stations they reported that this has been one of the coldest overal winters Manitoba has experienced.  I know it is true for this Manitoban.  While we always get more snow in March, April, and sometimes even May (doesn't last, but I remember one weekend when we had company the long weekend and we had snow that stayed the whole time they were here).  But, usually we have a time of melting in March - even if it gets cold and we get more snow, we have water running at some point in March.  This year - none!  I'm hoping April.  We have so much snow that if it goes quickly we are going to have flooding in the streets as the drains to the sewers will still be frozen.  Our city workers have worked so hard this winter - we have had so many breaks because of the freezing temperatures, they have had to work in many -40 days and nights to fix problems.  Don't envy their job.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Pinga mentioned retirement above . . . and I think of the transition that is for many.

And it reminded me of the transition we are all going through here at Wondercafe.  June is coming much too quickly :)

How is everyone doing with this?

paradox3's picture

paradox3

I am working it through Beloved. Finding myself checking into Wondercafe quite often right now. 

Hilary's picture

Hilary

I'm checking more often and posting more often.  I have always been a lurker, but have posted in spurts over the years.  I realise that I want to be remembered... I want to feel like I 'belong' on the new forum...  I want people to be interested in meeting me if ever there was a wondergathering that I could attend...

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Hilary, I would love to meet you sometime!  I think with some free travelling time it would be fairly easy to arrange :)

Hilary's picture

Hilary

I'll send you a facebook message, chemgal, now that I know your location more specifically (from your gardening thread).  I will be there for a few days in June.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Dear Doctor,

Thanks for not telling us you were going on vacation for two weeks right after Dad had the CT you referred him for, leaving us all hanging for the results.

*facepalm*

Mendalla

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Mendalla, can you make an appointment with someone else who would also have the results?

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Oh Mendalla . . . how frustrating.  Have you researched any avenues of possibly being able to get results of the CT through another doctor.  Here I can go to my clinic and any doctor in the clinic can access my test results - jus wondering?

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

How frustrating Mendalla. Is no-one covering for the doc?

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Waiting for test results can be the worst part of a medical health journey . . . wishing you peace and strength as you go through this journey with your dad.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

Oh Mendalla - that must be so upsetting - waiting for results.  The system is sadly broken (in my opinion).  I once had a scan and then 'my' doc left town without specifying who should take over his patients.  It took me EIGHT MONTHS to get the results!   

carolla's picture

carolla

oh geez - that sucks Mendalla.  Waiting is hard. 

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Mendella, hoping you can find a way for the results to get to you.  Carolla said it though, waiting is hard.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Greetings!

Happy Thursday morning everyone!  We have made it over half way through the week.  Some will breathe a sigh of relief, and others will wonder why time is going so quickly.

Whatever you are up to today . . . may there be a bounce in your step, a smile on your face, and a song in your heart.  If life circumstances are not permitting those things in your life, maybe try just a little bounce, even if you don't feel like bouncing, try a little smile, even if your heart isn't in it, and think of a song that gives you peace.  These things won't make crappy life circumstances go away, but there is a smidgeon of a chance they may make a little difference in how you feel.

I'm going to try to bounce a bit, I'm going to try to smile at everyone I see, and I'm going to come up with a special song that lifts me up.  The sun is shining, the temperature is cool, and I'm just about ready to face the day!  Hope yours is great!

Hope, peace, joy, love . . .

Hilary's picture

Hilary

Yesterday, a customer told me that I always look so happy.  He asked my secret... I gave a work-appropriate response about enjoying my job, but what I really wanted to say was "fake it 'til you make it"!

I appreciate the reminder to keep the smile on my face, even if I'm not feeling it.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Isn't that funny, Hilary, that is exacty what I was going to post above - "fake it til you make it".

Beloved's picture

Beloved

And based on your avatar pic I think your customer is right :)

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

IS SEELER SICK?

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Good question, CH.  I don't know . . . but she hasn't posted here for a few days.

Back to Relationships topics
cafe