Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Room for all part 5

Wondercafe is a busy place.  Kind of like a Union Station....a hub of activity with people coming and going all the time.  I'm a people watcher and love to sit in a place like a train station marvelling at all the different types of people that I see and imagining what their lives are like. 

Wondercafe offers us even more.  Here we get to see and meet all kinds of people but even better yet we are offered glimpses into their lives.  They share life's joys, questions, celebrations, disappointments, worries, ambitions, concerrns and even share in their time of loneliness and grief.  And in this place, where people are busy, and people are coming and going, we do what few people do in the real world.  We stop and listen.  We reach out.  And hopefully we help one another.

In some corners of the room people it may get noisy as people banter back and forth.  In other corners of the room it is much quieter, as people not only listen, but they reflect and carefully choose their responses to the person in crisis.  In some areas of the room we ponder life's big questions.  Other areas of the room are silly and often resemble a party of one type or another.  So many people, so many different lives, all carrying different things in their suitcases, and THIS UNION station offers room for all.

In another thread posters were remembering that there are many here missing loved ones this Christmas.  While many celebrate Christmas with decorations, parties, shopping trips and anticipation of a full house....others are wondering what this Christmas will mean with an empty chair.  Some are looking towards Christmas wondering where they will be, who they will be with or who they might be without.  Some who visit here don't believe in Christma.  So how do you decorate the Union Station?

I am opening the doors wide in this thread.  The room is big, the room is inviting, the room is warm.....there is room for all.  Enter in and bring with you whatever you like....you may add decorations to fill the space, you may offer food to nourish others, you may bring only yourself and tell us how you're doing.  You are welcome here.  I'll be happy to see you and sit for a while.   Please continue to welcome others as they enter in and if I'm not in sight, please tend to their needs.  This is a busy union station of people coming and going.  Let's make sure that everyone is recognized and that their needs are met.  If they are happy, let's share in their joy.  If they are sad, let's offer them an ear, a hug and a caring heart.  If they are lost, let's offer them hope that they'll find their way and perhaps some guidance.  If they are hungry, let's feed them.

There is room for all.

Share this

Comments

carolla's picture

carolla

They've been having another awful blizzard on the east coast the past couple of days I think - so maybe that's part of the reason seeler is absent.  When will this winter end??  

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Hi folks, would be good to reach out to Seeler. Anyone see her on facebook?

Carolla, I heard we could have coldweather through mid-April

chemgal's picture

chemgal

She shared a link yesterday.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Carolla, I worked late tonight and on the drive home, I smelled skunk.  I think spring is in the air.

I have had an annoing plugged ear that I have been trying to deal with myself.  Tongiht, as I was using the murine ear wax stuff, I must have done something silly as all of a sudden I understood vertigo.  Wow, i cannot imagine people who have lived with vertigo for months.  I have new sympathy. Anyhow, it was passing, but enough to scare me to stop trying to self-treat. will make a quick call to the doctor tomorrow.  

seeler's picture

seeler

Sorry for worrying you all.  I'm fine.  I didn't realize that I hadn't been posting here.  I have been in other threads - maybe just in religion.  But perhaps mostly I've just been checking in to see what-up with others.

I did have a cold, but it cleared up almost as fast as it came on.  A dry throat and a sniffly nose Monday - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday I was sick (didn't get dressed on Thursday).  Then Friday I showed signs of improvement. 

And on Monday bowling, I got my name in the local paper for bowling the high 'no mark'.   That is I bowled 87 points in 10 frames wthout getting either a strike or spare.  Of course the good bowlers get strikes and spares and get their name in the paper for a high single, or triple.   But 87 means that I was pinning well - getting either or more pins on every turn.   (My average is around 75.)

Was out yesterday to our 'Seekers Group', where we discussed the first section of the book "Zealot".  Interesting discussion about Jesus and the world he lived in 2000 years ago.   I'm looking forward to our next meeting in two weeks. 

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Good morning everyone!

It's Friday . . . what will the day hold?

Off to walk on my treadmill.

Hope your ear is better soon Pinga.  Glad you are okay, seeler.

The winter will end, carolla - maybe not for a bit, but it will end.

Hi chemgal - hope you are going to have a great weekend!

Hope, peace, joy, love . . .

Hilary's picture

Hilary

I'm gearing up for an exciting weekend.  A percussion concert at the University tonight, a 5K race Saturday morning, and then a sleepover in the church with the Sunday School kids!

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Wow Hilary - that's one busy weekend smiley.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Don't know how much sleep you will get at your sleepover - but hope it is a blast.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Hilary, sounds like a great weekend to me. Love kids energy. Percussion concert is pretty cool. Running a 5k is also a good thing - someday I plan to try one but cannot imagine doing it and a sleepover

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Family doc finally got the results and the news was, after all that, good. The cancer had not metastasized so as long as they get all of the melanoma out, that problem is resolved for now.

Now we're back to just dealing with his dementia.

Mendalla

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Mendalla, I think dealing with dementia is a big bite all on it's own - may you be strengthened and carried as you go through the times ahead with your dad.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Agreed, Beloved.

Good thing you got the results though.

carolla's picture

carolla

EWWW - skunks!  Spring is definitely in the air pinga!!  Sunny & warmer here today - not as much rain as forecasted.  Still some big piles of snow in my yard, and no sign yet of my lost car key!!  I keep looking & hoping tho!  (and I hope you're not a 'dizzy dame' for long!  It is a misery!) 

Good to hear that news Mendalla - we are thankful for small mercies.  

Glad to hear Seeler is feeling better ... and name in the paper too!  Congrats on that!  My husband has occasionally been going bowling this winter with some buddies - a fun way to pass a cold afternoon indoors with some friends.  I recall my dad telling stories of one of his first jobs - a 'pin boy' at a bowling alley in Halifax - standing all the pins back up by hand.  Now there's even electronic scoring in some places! 

Sounds like an action packed weekend Hilary - enjoy every minute! (even the sleepless ones!)

Good for you Beloved - keeping up that walking!  Well done. 

paradox3's picture

paradox3

Is anyone else feeling all talked out when it comes to the topics in R and F? These days when I open those threads I tend to just skim through them. 

Coffee's on, by the way. 

Beloved's picture

Beloved

I like to read the topics in R and F and I usually get a lot out of them. I don't seem to post a lot though.  Not interested in argumentative threads, not that all of them (in R&F) are.

How about tea Paradox3 - kettle boiling?  A new kind of tea I've tried at home is Fennel tea . . . I will put some out in case someone wants to try some.

Saturday . . . everyone sleeping in smiley.

Church tea today . . . going to attend.  Not serving at it.  Helped set-up yesterday.  Rats - can't have those tasty little sandwiches crying (nor dainties).  Oh well, I will go for the company.  I am taking my daughter.  Everyone in the community says our sandwiches are the best!

carolla's picture

carolla

For me March feels like a tired time of year p3; have to have my brain "on" at work, so once at home, I like to switch out of that mode - so nothing too very demanding on the neurons!  Longing for the rejuvenating effects of sunshine & outdoor life!

carolla's picture

carolla

Beloved - who comes to the 'church tea'?  Just curious to know more - is it strictly social, any entertainment, fundraiser? 

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Happy sat. all. I'll enjoy another cup of tea.

Errand day for me-and gearing up for work on Monday.

Tomorrow is a day full of committments so today is my last day for awhile to be on a flexable agenda.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

carolla wrote:

Beloved - who comes to the 'church tea'?  Just curious to know more - is it strictly social, any entertainment, fundraiser? 

It is our UCW (United Church Women) group. It is a fundraiser for them.

Teas are a big thing here in my community - spring and fall. Everyone and anyone goes to them. Although put on by individual churches and groups, everyone who goes to teas in the community goes to them all - even if there are two on one day. They are packed. I personally don't like going but I promised my daughter I would take her.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Tabitha wrote:

Happy sat. all. I'll enjoy another cup of tea.

Errand day for me-and gearing up for work on Monday.

Tomorrow is a day full of committments so today is my last day for awhile to be on a flexable agenda.

Kinda like a "me" day, Tabitha?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Happy Saturday to all as well.  

Ok, can antiobitcs start to have an impact in one dose? the buzz is gone this morning, though still experiencing deafness etc.   I am wondering if it would have self-healed, or if tryly meds are that amazing.

Note: I know that I need to keep going with the meds! 

on another note, have fallen off the wagon with my health recovery program.  I have noted a couple of patterns:  daylight savings time kicked my butt in regards to morning workouts.  Also that 3 weeks of travel in a month plus sickness seemed to really knock me off my program.  Need to kick it up a notch next week.

hmm, what else, well, wondercafe is fun and frustrating.  I am aware of the importance of this room for the current participants and for past participants.  you folks keep me motivated and so I give thanks to you.  (note: i really don't want this thread to be about wondercafe2, but, i wanted to say how much you motivate me)

paradox3's picture

paradox3

Pinga wrote:

Ok, can antiobitcs start to have an impact in one dose? 

Yes, they certainly can. 

Reminder: It is important to finish the prescription even if you are feeling completely better. 

Beloved's picture

Beloved

And some say it is important to follow it up by adding some kind of probiotic after. While the above os true, completing the course of antibiotics, I don't know if probiotic is true or required by all.

I know what it is like to slip, Pinga, so I hope you find what you need to get back up.

Thank you for seeing us a s motivational. We see you as inspirational with all you do.

carolla's picture

carolla

I agree with p3!   I was surprised once when I had strep throat - what a HUGE difference even one dose made to how I felt - it was amazing.  But keep up til the end!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Good evening folks, it is late, but, I had a little nap this evening during the hockey game and so am relatively wide awake right now.

P3, absolutely will take the full 10days.  always. well, unless end up on a different med.

Loving the snow melt in this area, as we discvoer things hidden by the snow, definitely a lot of garbage, but also other stuff showing up.

Tabitha, and the others who joined you, i hope you enjoy the teas you had.  

paradox3's picture

paradox3

Pinga, 

I always hate taking antibiotics. The side effects can be nasty. 

Same in my area. There are still huge areas of ice but the snow is starting to disappear. And you can walk on the sidewalks easily now except for a few puddles here and there. 

Not sleeping either. I know going on the computer is not the best thing (something about the light and melatonin) but it is so tempting! Might try some reading soon.

Pilgrims Progress's picture

Pilgrims Progress

Pinga wrote:

hmm, what else, well, wondercafe is fun and frustrating.  I am aware of the importance of this room for the current participants and for past participants.  you folks keep me motivated and so I give thanks to you.  (note: i really don't want this thread to be about wondercafe2, but, i wanted to say how much you motivate me)

Pinga,

Firstly, I want to say what a big heart you have in doing all that you can to reinvent Wondercafe.

There was a time when I needed Wondercafe more than I would have previously thought a woman of my age would need a social media site to keep up her spirits.

Thankfully, the need these days is not so pressing - but I'm aware that there'll always be folks who NEED this site -so all kudos to you and thank you.

(Although I must confess I'm a little shitty at you getting the techie Pollock genes -whilst I'm struggling with Windows 8.1)

Secondly, stop worrying about what you want the threads to be about - they'll find their own level - and, often the tangents are more stimulating when they do meander.....

paradox3's picture

paradox3

* waves at Pilgrims Progress *

Agreed Pilgrims. The whole purpose of this thread is to meander, right? 

Not so for all threads but a lot depends on how the topic starter facilitates the discussion. 

Pinga's picture

Pinga

hah PP, i am just enjoying that this thread is a respite from the other ones....call it my sanity break.   re the techie genes, yeah, not sure how that happened...and btw, most folks struggle with windows 8

paradox3's picture

paradox3

Respite threads are wonderful. 

seeler's picture

seeler

I love coming to this thread and connecting with people - Pinga and Paradox up late, unable to sleep.  I too took a nap through the evening.  Falling asleep when relaxing in front of the TV (or in church - see other thread) apparently is typical for people with Parkinsons.  So I slept through 'How-Its-Made', 'Cash Cab', and the hockey game - coming to the surface just enough to know that the programs (or channels) have changed.   Finally, in the last few minutes of the game and with a Toronto penalty, Seelerman woke me to tell me he was going to bed.

I heard recently that blue light from the computer will keep you awake, so I've been trying to avoid it after 8:00 pm.  I also know that entering the den (or sometimes even passing the door, it will reach out and grab me.   So last night I kinda backed into the room, stretched out my arm and hit the 'close' icon.  

Result:  fell asleep fairly soon.  Wide awake at 1:00 am.   Tried in vain to sleep for 1/2 hour.  Read.  Eventually slept and had to be called this morning. 

I look forward to the new WonderCafe2, no matter what form it takes.  I'm sure we will continue to find matters to discuss and questions to ask. 

Beloved's picture

Beloved

OK, what was up last night.  I know I was too!  I just didn't feel tired, yet I knew that I would be up early this morning.

I started watching a movie on tv that I have seen before, but kept watching.  When I went to bed after midnight I did fall asleep right away.  And I was awake early this morning, but I did manage to go back to sleep til after 7.

Going to put a beef roast for hubby and daughter in crock pot (still can't have beef) and then have tea, and then do the church/lunch after church thing.  May do a Walmart walk-about after that.

What is everyone else up to today?

Beloved's picture

Beloved

seeler, I really like to watch "How It Is Made" too - I find it very interesting - my favourite one was watching how crayons were made - that was years ago. 

paradox3's picture

paradox3

Going to church soon, Beloved. 

It is sunny outside and the forecast is for 6 dgrees. Anyone know how to do the little circle for degrees on the keyboard? 

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Nope, haven't figured that out yet, paradox3.  Here it is -20, but -32 with wind chill.  But the sun is shining so it will warm up a bit as the day goes on.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Hey, hey, Hilary - how did the sleepover go?  Get any sleep cheeky?

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Did you do the 5K?

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I'm a bit surprised I haven't, due to the number of times I've used it.  I've always just inserted symbol.  I just searched, it's option 0 on a MAC, but it doesn't seem to work here.  It's -13C right now, not very spring like.

I'm worn out and pretty sore all over.  We drove to see our parents and back yesterday.  I only went because I wasn't feeling to bad to start (and it's nice to visit).  I don't know why the drive takes so much out of me, I have lots of leg room to stetch out when I need to.  Even my feet hurt today, like I was walking for a long time.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Oh no!  I hope your day gets better, chemgal . . . no fun to be in pain sad.  Wishing you days of better health ahead.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Beloved, it will go away with time.  I just don't know why I get like this.  I'm not expecting the new treatment to fix all of my issues, but I am curious to see what happens to my overall health with it.  If I reduce one type of inflammation, maybe this type of thing would go back to more of a typical type of stiffness from sitting for a while.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

church, teaching sunday school-if we get kids-then a meeting then a visit with friends

5 here but it will warm up

seeler's picture

seeler

Snow, Ice Pellets, Wind here.  We had spring yesterday!

carolla's picture

carolla

°  there - my  new learning for today ... press ALT key & type in 0176 ...  get a degree sign - °    Now I'll have to use it a hundred times today to embed it into my memory!!  

°  °  I've often sought this too - but never bothered to look it up ... ° °  

All together now ... °  °   °  °  (okay, that's 10 times!) 

carolla's picture

carolla

Pinga wrote:

I had a little nap this evening during the hockey game and so am relatively wide awake right now.

Finally - a good purpose for hockey on TV  is revealled!  cool  

Pinga's picture

Pinga

looks like you need to use the numeric keyboard rather than the row across the top.  So, for me on the laptop, need to hold the num key down and use the numeric set on the keys  ° 

Thanks Carolla for the tip of the day.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

whenever I press the alt key and then start with 0,  I get a screen that pops up with accessibility instructions

paradox3's picture

paradox3

° mine is this tiny

paradox3's picture

paradox3

Oh, I see. It shows up tiny on the comment screen but gets bigger when I Save. 

This is so good to know. 

Here are some bubbles like Carolla's ° ° ° °

paradox3's picture

paradox3

There must be other magic codes. Anyone know some good ones?

Back to Relationships topics
cafe