Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Room for all part 5

Wondercafe is a busy place.  Kind of like a Union Station....a hub of activity with people coming and going all the time.  I'm a people watcher and love to sit in a place like a train station marvelling at all the different types of people that I see and imagining what their lives are like. 

Wondercafe offers us even more.  Here we get to see and meet all kinds of people but even better yet we are offered glimpses into their lives.  They share life's joys, questions, celebrations, disappointments, worries, ambitions, concerrns and even share in their time of loneliness and grief.  And in this place, where people are busy, and people are coming and going, we do what few people do in the real world.  We stop and listen.  We reach out.  And hopefully we help one another.

In some corners of the room people it may get noisy as people banter back and forth.  In other corners of the room it is much quieter, as people not only listen, but they reflect and carefully choose their responses to the person in crisis.  In some areas of the room we ponder life's big questions.  Other areas of the room are silly and often resemble a party of one type or another.  So many people, so many different lives, all carrying different things in their suitcases, and THIS UNION station offers room for all.

In another thread posters were remembering that there are many here missing loved ones this Christmas.  While many celebrate Christmas with decorations, parties, shopping trips and anticipation of a full house....others are wondering what this Christmas will mean with an empty chair.  Some are looking towards Christmas wondering where they will be, who they will be with or who they might be without.  Some who visit here don't believe in Christma.  So how do you decorate the Union Station?

I am opening the doors wide in this thread.  The room is big, the room is inviting, the room is warm.....there is room for all.  Enter in and bring with you whatever you like....you may add decorations to fill the space, you may offer food to nourish others, you may bring only yourself and tell us how you're doing.  You are welcome here.  I'll be happy to see you and sit for a while.   Please continue to welcome others as they enter in and if I'm not in sight, please tend to their needs.  This is a busy union station of people coming and going.  Let's make sure that everyone is recognized and that their needs are met.  If they are happy, let's share in their joy.  If they are sad, let's offer them an ear, a hug and a caring heart.  If they are lost, let's offer them hope that they'll find their way and perhaps some guidance.  If they are hungry, let's feed them.

There is room for all.

Share this

Comments

chemgal's picture

chemgal

lol I've got the tune too.

I didn't get enough sleep last night, but at least I got some quality sleep, even if it was too little.  I'm off to get ready for an appointment and will probably take a nap afterwards.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I am picturing me raising my voice with the ....banjoooooooooo

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Who is blowing the horn . . . ?

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Now there is an earwig for the day LOL!

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

I'm strumming on my old banjo.

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

Dinah, won't you blow, Dinah, won't you blow....?

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

St. Tony won't you help?

Lol

Ok I need the ball to go on my trailer hitch so I can pull the canoe trailer.

Looked twice in the garage and once in the van-both in the back and in the  hidden compartment where I stow seats.

No Go.

I also don't recall taking it off-leading my to think my eldest might know.  And so I'm charging up my cell phone and will give hime a call.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Ahh . . . Birthstone is blowing the horn wink.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Hope you find your ball, Tabitha.

carolla's picture

carolla

my goodness ... with a brain in the gutter one could draw some interesting inferences from today's discussion!! blush  I will say no more!

Tab - any chance it was stolen?  Hoping not ... calling on St. Tony!!   Here's a story - friends who live in Mexico in the winter - were parked in another town one day - came back to their van & sideview mirror was gone.  They asked a kid hanging around on the street if he knew where they might find one - auto store, wrecker, etc ... he directed them a block or two away ... and ... imagine that! ... the street kids just happened to have one that exactly matched their van!!  Some coincidence there!! They paid, it was reinstalled ... go figure. 

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

borrow someone's metal detector.

And any old ball won't do.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

LOL I did find it on the workbench in the garge. Would have been easier to find if I hadn't set a toolbox on top of it!

CH-I hear metal detectors don't always work

Now to find the bolt that goes through it to hold it on..  That I'm thinking MAY be in car. Did find an extra pin to hold trailer on-I use a locking one so this one is extra.

Times like this I wish someone else in the house wa in charge of stuff like this-like a husband.

Son is very helpful on phone-but the places he thought to look I already had. At least he rembered youngest and I taking it off.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Good morning all!

It is a dull, dreary, snowy, cool Saturday morning here . . . hard to take this kind of weather in April . . . but it will pass.

Glad the lost has been found Tabitha . . . I'm thinking about your comment "someone else in the house was in charge of stuff like this-like a husband."   It arises many thoughts and different contexts to me.  Thinking of the households where there is no male presence (not that I think there isn't anything women can't do) and thinking about the women I know who are on their own who occasionally need something done.

Hope everyone's Saturday holds a smiley . . . and that there are few crying (although sometimes crying are good).  Wish it was cool here, hope it is cool in your world.  Find balance between devil and angel.  May heart abound in some measure in your world.

Hope, peace, joy, love . . .

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Beloved, thinking of you and your unexpected houseguest

Tabitha, awesome that you found it

Hilary's picture

Hilary

I was registered for a 4 mile race this morning, but waking up to snow was too discouraging.  So I'm having tea while I watch British football instead.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I have been remiss in my workouts and also backsliding in food habits.

Last night, a friend reached out and encouraged me to go to the gym and she would be my partner

I am really appreciative of that offer. I took her up on it, and though it was rough, i did it.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Excellent Pinga - it can be easy to slip, and it can be harder to pull oneself back up to take care of our bodies.  I'm glad your friend reached out and encouraged you in this way.  (Thanks for your thoughts also!)

Awww Hilary . . . sorry you missed your race, but tea is good!

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Yay Pinga! Keep at it! No use wasting all the hard work you put in last year!

Too bad Hilary. 

As for my husband comment-I was thinking about that today. I have a friend whose spouse does this sort of thing for her-nice guy but I couldn't live with him for a week! Mostly I don't mind my ingleness-there are advantages to be the only adult in charge of a household!

seeler's picture

seeler

Seelerman and I have worked out some roles - and there are some that we should be talking about.  I do almost all of the banking, paying the bills, looking after taxes, etc.  And he looks after the car - oil changes, repairs (even if it was me that backed into a tree).  I do most of the laundry, and cleaning.  He does all the snow removal, lawn mowing, house repairs.  Both of us help out with grandchildren, granddog and grandcat.  I look after religion.  He looks after sports.   And occasionally we run into the 'Where did you put my keys?'  'I never touched your keys.'  

I'm glad I have someone to share the responsibility and the blame.  I sometimes wonder how I would manage on my own - although when we were younger he worked long hours and I was often on my own in managing the house and caring for the children.  I guess you do what you have to do. 

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

The singleness thing seems to have as many good and bad aspects as the  partnered thing!  We have a fairly ok level of sharing of jobs, I think.  Though I do notice that there are now some things I just can't do - heavy moving, repairing with tools more advanced than a basic hammer or screwdriver come quickly to mind. I don't do mowing, shovelling jobs either.  My partner doesn't do floor mopping, dusting or baking.  Likely if I was alone I would see if one of my adult kids could help out with the things that I can't do - or pay somone. 

Way to go Pinga - it is great to have a friend 'nagging' and accompanying you to the gym.  Tood bad aboutHilary's run though.

Tabitha - you remind me that everywere isn't still frozen solid when you chat about canoes.  Grandude went ice fishing today.

I baked bread this morning - whole wheat.  I celebrated by taking a nap after lunch.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Looks like I'm good to go for tomorrow-always a bit of  PROCESS THE FIRST OF A YEAR.

Ooops thsoe caps were random

I bought a new pin-under $10 then I had a search for the key to the lock that keeps anyone else from driving away with the trailer.

Didn't fit any of the little keys in the van.  No did not fit any spare keys in my lunchbox full of keys.  Then I remeber elsest had locked up while I was away last summer.Looked in the dining room. Moved things and looked again-yes a single key -not on a keyring and TA DA  it worked.

Waiting to hear back from my paddling friends about paddling after church!

carolla's picture

carolla

TA DA!!!  yes  Love those moments of sweet success!

carolla's picture

carolla

Yay pinga - back to the gym - good for you!

I spent a big chunk of the day in my garden ....aaahhhh .... big sigh of satisfaction.  Pruned my hydrangeas, clematis, ivy; cleared up some other debris ... noticed my helebore is blooming!  A few crocus showing their colours, other bulbs peeking through the soil ... yup - spring IS coming!!

At least here - kay - did grandude come home with any fish??  When do you usually get warming weather where you are? 

Pinga's picture

Pinga

The Grand River is running fast and high. Soon, though, the river will have canoes on it.

I love  how you keep finding things, Tabitha.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Carolla.,I had heard that we might have cold weather + Snow next week. Ian going to leave the blanket of leaves on until next week. Not sure if necessary) but that is what my Mon did!

Good to hear what everyone is up to

Pinga's picture

Pinga

dup

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Ooooh thunderstorm here.)

seeler's picture

seeler

Good morning, good morning, good morning to you.  

Today is Palm Sunday.  I'd love to be looking forward to a joyous palm parade - I kind I remember from years past. 

Lots of snow on the ground - but melting fast.  Birds are coming back - I've seen a robin and a grackle, and a red finch.  Seelerman says he saw a yellow finch yesterday.  Spring will come - just not in time for Easter.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Good morning seeler!

Good morning All!

Palm Sunday  . . . one of my favourite Palm Sunday songs is b Steve Bell - "Ride on King Jesus, Ride on".

Lots of snow here too, but melting.  We had a touch more snow yesterday.  My hubby saw 3 geese fly overhead the other day.  Spring is definitely on its way.  The temperatures here are still supposed to remain on the cooler side.

I've had a few things going on in my life this past Lenten season, and I've lost focus on Lent and Easter.  I am going to try to walk through Holy Week allowing God to lead and teach me as I revisit the stories and events of Holy Week as portrayed in the Bible.

Happy Sunday everyone, Happy Palm Sunday everyone - may the green-ness of palm branches be a sign and reminder of life and newness in your spirit.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

Things lost are found - that is good to hear. 

Spring is coming - according to those in warmer places - that is good to hear.

Usually the weather warms up starting in March, in this part of the country. We still have snow (which is sparkling in the sunshine this morning).  The temperature is below freezing, and it is almost impossible to walk or drive safely.  The buds on some trees are looking fatter- that is good to see.

Grandude didn't pop over with fish for the old folks - but I don't know whether that means that none got caught - or that he chucked them back down the hole. 

I'm ready for a'stay home' day!

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Spring doesn't want to come. Snow flurries, water all over  and sunshine to fool us all.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Good morning room

It must be spring, the temperature is supposed torain☔ drop by 20degrres today and it is supposed to snow tomorrow⛄

wherr is everyone?

seeler's picture

seeler

Pinga - I think I've mentioned before, Ontario weather eventually comes East.  Please, send some nice weather - sunshine, gradually warming days, cool crisp nights - maple syrup weather.  Snow melting weather (not more snow).  Flood-controling weather. 

seeler's picture

seeler

A strange thing happened today.  The new dishwasher is due on Wednesday.  I asked Seelerman what he planned to do with the old one - sitting idle for almost two weeks after quitting.  Believe me, during those first few days I giggled the handle, pressed all the buttons in various order, and Seelerman checked the manual and the computer and took it apart to look at some of the wiring or something.  Dead as a doornail. 

Today as I started to pile the breakfast dishes into the sink, Seelerman pushed the door shut, pushed a button - a light came on.  Pushed the starter button, and it began drawing water.  I loaded the breakfast dishes onto the top rack and there it is chugging away.

What happened?  Did it simply heal itself while having a rest?

We will still get the new dishwasher - but maybe I can get three days out of the old one.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Did you pray over it? cheeky

We are debating replacing our washer (laundry). It's clearly on its way out but Mrs. M. wants a warm rinse cycle and those are bloody hard to find on modern machines. She has sensitive skin and finds that warm rinse does a better job of getting all the soap residue out.

Wouldn't you know it, the day I book my car to get my snows off is the day we are getting our spring snow (tomorrow). Nature is a master of irony. laugh

Mendalla

seeler's picture

seeler

Mendalla asks if I prayed over my dishwasher.   I think I used some of the right words, but my tone of voice might have been a bit off. Something more like an emotional response - a lament, along with a protest.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Mendalla, you might just have to look around a bit.  Mine has warm/warm for sure, and possibly hot/warm.

If she has trouble finding that, another option to look for is a quick wash or quick rinse & spin option that lets you pick a temperature setting.  It is an extra step when doing laundry though.

I do have sensitive skin and I use Tide's coldwater free detergent for my coldwater washes (most of my clothes) and I don't have a problem with it.  That's a more personal switch though :)

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Seeler, hopefully you won't have to handwash until the new dishwasher comes :)

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

S

orry, I hand wash all the time.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Seeler-here's hoping your machine lasts 3 days-your new one will be more energy effecient!

Mendella-I love my front loading washer-It's my 2nd one as I had put one in my last house as well

Chemgal-I can use sunliht-regular, tide regualr or tide free.  All else bothers me-and of course NO Fabric softener

Hilary's picture

Hilary

boooo fabric softener!!  I run a 1/4 cup of vinegar through the rinse cycle to really strip any extra soap off.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Lovley afternoon yesterday. Got my son to load an old fashion canoe and I drove to the boat launch. There I asked a stranger to help me carry boat to water. (Boat is quite light) Lovely first paddle of the year. I had noticed 2 stand up paddlers at the next beach. They had landed for the day by the time I arrived-but one of them reconized me. So we took photos for each other and I continued my paddle. When I returned to my launching spot I asked  a young couple walking by to help load the boat. It'd really easy with 3.

And today my arms are tired but it was SO worth it.

I paddled the smaller lake- Our city is located between 2 lakes.

(paddling friends couldn't make it-one sick kiddo)

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Hilary wrote:

boooo fabric softener!!  I run a 1/4 cup of vinegar through the rinse cycle to really strip any extra soap off.

Same here, and it works as a fabric softner as well.

Tabitha, I haven't tried sunlight.  It has to be scent free, I know normal Tide is a no-go.  We did a lab demo using a detergent that had to have the dye, the excess was poured down my sink and for months afterwards my asthma would act up when I used the sink.

Glad you had a good time out paddling!  We were a little slow on getting our spring weather, but we've got it now, nice days in between below freezing and snow.  Nice today, not so nice tomorrow.

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

Paddling!! Jealous :S   How nice that would have been this weekend, instead I was doing homework with my boy and working too.  Paddling canoes is my favourite thing.

I use Ecos laundry detergent from Canadian Tire (and other places)  it is pretty good and not from a big chemical producer.  I've been happy with it for a long time. 

Speaking of irritation, I've happily used natural-based shampoos for a couple of years but about 6 weeks ago, I started getting itchy around my hairline at the back &behind my  ears  Ick!  I was happy with that shampoo/condiioner combination for at least 2 months before, but now not so much.  And now I've tried 2 other shampoos and it is stll irritated.  Behind my ear, it is red and peeling.  Doctor's appointent tomorrow now, so hopefully she can get me healed up and back to normal.  Maybe isn't the shampoo, since it isn't all over my scalp, but I don't know what else it could be.  I have a ragweed allergy, and heard once that echinacea is related to it, but I dont' know if these shampoos all have a related ingredient. 

Busy week this week - gotta get back at it heart

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Tabitha wrote:

Lovley afternoon yesterday. Got my son to load an old fashion canoe and I drove to the boat launch. There I asked a stranger to help me carry boat to water. (Boat is quite light) Lovely first paddle of the year. I had noticed 2 stand up paddlers at the next beach. They had landed for the day by the time I arrived-but one of them reconized me. So we took photos for each other and I continued my paddle. When I returned to my launching spot I asked  a young couple walking by to help load the boat. It'd really easy with 3.

And today my arms are tired but it was SO worth it.

I paddled the smaller lake- Our city is located between 2 lakes.

(paddling friends couldn't make it-one sick kiddo)

I would love to get going on a canoe but the local canoe club won't start up until June and we haven't sprung for our own boat yet, partly because I'm the only one who canoes now. Mrs M. and Little M are both kayakers.

Mendalla

PS. I'm thinking about a new nickname for Little M because, frankly, I'm now LIttle M next to him. surprise

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Canoeing, paddling, kayaking, clothes washers, allergies, dishwashers, weather (did I miss anything?) - it has been busy here in the room.

As I look out my west window the sun is still fairly high in the sky and shining brightly.  A few minutes ago 4 geese were honking and flying north!  A beautiful sight and sound of spring.  I love these days when it is light from almost 6 in the morn til after 9 at night, can hardly wait until it stays light until 11 and later.

Hope everyone had a good start to this new week.

carolla's picture

carolla

Mendalla - maybe he's now Middle M - betwixt you and your wife :-)

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Anybody staying up to see the blood moon?

Beloved's picture

Beloved

What is a blood moon crazyheart?  And how late do I have to stay up til?

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I'm guessing blood moon is a term for the lunar eclipse?

I won't be staying up.  I need all the sleep I can get right now.  I've been having some flareups and they leave me exhausted.  The chances aren't even great of seeing it here, too many clouds tonight.

I don't always get great sleep due to the flareups though, so if I happen to be awake with enough energy, I'll take a look.

Back to Relationships topics
cafe