DivingDeeply's picture

DivingDeeply

Week Two: Diving Deeply Lenten Discussion

Welcome to Week Two of WonderCafe's 2013 Lenten discussion on the new United Church Lenten book, Diving Deeply: Daily Devotions for Lent. (See Week One here.)

Diving Deeply is available from UCRD in print or e-book format. You can order it here. We welcome you to join in the discussion whether or not you have a copy of the book.

Each day we will post a short synopsis of the reflection offered in Diving Deeply along with discussion questions. We invite you to sharing your thoughts on the issues raised in the passage.

Blessings on your Lenten journey.

(For Week Three, click here.)

-----------------------------------------

Week Two: First Sunday in Lent - Letting Go of Fear 

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.”
-John 14:27

Meditation is a powerful tool for dealing with stress.

Liz, a student with a United Church background, came to a meditation session one day and stayed to talk about the severe stress she was experiencing trying to meet her school deadlines. She talked about having anxiety attacks that immobilized her and that made her life feel impossible. She feared failure; that she would not be able to accomplish the goals that she had set for herself. She was worried that she would not be able to live independently of her parents and that she would be disappointing them. 

She had gone to the clinic to get checked over by a doctor, who prescribed anti-anxiety medication. But Liz was looking for a non-medical way, and she came to find out whether meditation could help her. Eventually she had to take time out from her studies and seek ways to deal with her inner turmoil.

After many more twists and turns in her struggle with anxiety, Liz started to practise meditation regularly. She learned to enter into stillness, to watch her anxious thoughts arise and then let them go. Sustained by the Spirit, she learned how to let go of her anxious thoughts any time they arose, even outside of her regular meditation times.

Now, a year later, she has learned to cope with her anxiety. She has recovered her creative intelligence and is again enjoying her studies. She credits the balance she has gained in her life with learning to let go. She concludes, “I realized that I had a choice: I did not have to give in to my anxious thoughts and instead learned to open to the Spirit of Peace at my core.”

Discuss: What anxious thoughts are you aware of? Can you let them go, trusting the Spirit to sustain you?

Prayer

O Spirit of Peace, I let go of my anxious struggling and surrender into your

peace, the peace that passes all understanding. Amen.

Hymn

“Come to My Heart” (Voices United 661)

HL

Share this

Comments

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

How do you take — and make — time to “be” with God? What do you do with your God-time? Could you benefit from time spent with a spiritual director?

I am blessed to be deeply married to a spiritual director, and several of our closest and dearest friends are spiritual directors. 

I make/take time with "god" on a daily basis… I feel I need it and it's a first priority: it's not hard to do. The "how" would be: time in silent listening prayer, an hour or more; a deliberate walk and time of listening to the river, an hour tops; a variable amount of time spent writing down my experience (depending on the demands of the day, 0-2 hours). The writing part, though it's erratic, is something I finds helpful to embedding the listening/reflection: it pushes me into a kind of cognitive as well as spiritual affirmation of the listening experience.  The disciplined moving of my fingers on a keyboard or pen in my notebook in this context becomes a physical, tangible form of listening and my notes inform me in a differently nuanced way by meshing with what I've always done as a living.

To the extent that any of it has a conscious "methodology", I try to make the way open for god by deliberating letting go of anything I might want to say "about" god… I've become very aware that any fixed idea of what god is or can do is a denial of god… it diminishes my experience of god and narrows my open-ness to god.

It is easy to say, "god is love", for example — it's a truism. But we then risk expecting a "loving" god to express "love" coherently in the ways we would… and start doubting its existence when things don't pan out the way we'd wish. That becomes a very different approach to god from one which involves trusting the mystery…  trusting that "god-love" reaches infinitely beyond human imagining and we're inevitably mistaken when we anticipate its meaning.

I don't think we are given a life in order to conform god to its vagaries or our desires, but to conform life to god's being, as it's revealed to us in our paricular time and place: to help "build the kingdom" at the core of our being and in our relations with others.

We're dots and it's through god's energy and existence that we best join each other up, or not.

PurpleDragon's picture

PurpleDragon

Discuss: How do you take — and make — time to “be” with God? What do you do with your God-time? Could you benefit from time spent with a spiritual director?

Lately, I seem to be spending alot of time praying - asking for guidance.  I also write alot in a diary/journal and find this helps me to get things off my chest and clears a space to "listen" for what God might be saying.  I very much enjoy my monthly women's spiritual direction group, and also find creativity - art & crafts helps me to connect spiritually in ways that are hard to describe.  I think I just feel more connected to my "true self" when working on a creative project.  Having chronic fatigue forces me to spend quite alot of time alone and in quietness - it's the kind of illness where I have to "just be" - whether I like it or not.  

Feeling gratitude today that dad's monthly check up went well (he's taking a chemo pill called Vemurafenib).  Treatment is continuing and seems to be effective.  Thanks to the Goddess.

DivingDeeply's picture

DivingDeeply

Day 10 - Saturday: Being Resolute 

"He set his face to go to Jerusalem. And he sent messengers ahead… they entered a village of the Samaritans to make ready for him; but they did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem."
-Luke 9:51–53

The signs had been subtle and had been missed, and so she was dying.

Cancer. They all knew it. A family-focused woman of intellect, grace, poetry, and music, was dying. Her husband, John, a skilled craftsman, who loved to laugh and who was nuts about her, became her caregiver. He who could build anything let her teach him to create a meal. He learned to help her in and out of bed, to change her, to nurse her with gentleness.

Her desire was to die at home with him and her family around her. And in time, she died surrounded by love. John now lived alone for the first time.

His family and church were loving and supportive: they had been with him through it all. But, his life had been changed in ways that he had never anticipated. He wept for her. He wept for himself.

Yet, this “man’s man” let himself be changed by this experience. He learned to share feelings and heartfelt thoughts. He realized that what was important before was even more so now. He started working for a neighbour and enjoyed being outside and useful. A smile returned to his face. When there’s been a death, life never truly returns to normal. It can’t. But healing happens, a new routine emerges, and we live in new ways.

He called to say that he had cancer. Everyone was devastated. Yet, no one better than he knew what was ahead of him: he didn’t want his family to have to care for his growing needs; he didn’t want to die at home.

Before surgery, he sat with his daughter, the string of love holding them as one. He turned to her and said, “It isn’t supposed to be this way.” With a lump in her throat, she said, “I know, Dad.” Just then the nurse called his name and he followed her to the O.R.

Jesus set his face to go to Jerusalem. Did he really know what was going to happen there? Did he know he was facing his own death? Did he foresee everything involved? It doesn’t matter…because he went. He went forward even though “It wasn’t supposed to be this way.”

What gift. What courage. What fortitude. What an example. Lent is a time for us to set our faces to Jerusalem, to face whatever it is in our lives that frightens, hurts, or saddens us. It is a time to face these things with the knowledge that the Christ walks this path with us now. “We are not alone.”

Discuss: What is happening in your life right now that frightens or discourages you? How might you find the courage to step out, remembering Christ is with you?

Prayer

Spirit of companionship,
our paths take many turns.
We cannot see around the bend ahead.
Be with us in our daily lives,
with our families and loved ones.
Be with us as communities of faith, 
where we live, worship, work, and play. 
Be with us all as we set our face to the future. 
Amen.

Hymn

“Throughout These Lenten Days and Nights” (Voices United 108)

JSS
PurpleDragon's picture

PurpleDragon

Ponder What is happening in your life right now that frightens or discourages you? How might you find the courage to step out, remembering Christ is with you?

Lent is a time for us to set our faces to Jerusalem, to face whatever it is in our lives that frightens, hurts, or saddens us. It is a time to face these things with the knowledge that the Christ walks this path with us now. “We are not alone.”

Dad's cancer and my own health problems are a source of fear and discouragement.  It's challenging to find ways to fully realize that Christ is with me and with my dad no matter what the outcome.  I was blessed yesterday by little uplifting graces - a co-worker reading a devotion with Jesus' words - "Come unto me all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest...."   And listening to some uplifting contemporary Christian music during the drive home.  Sometimes I forget how much music helps my mood and perspective.  I also recently stumbled upon some guided meditations for self-healing by Jack Kornfield and find them soothing and encouraging.

I'm still finding my way into trusting this mysterious process of healing, or trusting even when things fall apart.  I suspect we all have our own unique & varied ways of coping with the painful and frightening parts of life.  I feel like I'm trying to put together some kind of upside-down jigsaw puzzle of faith & empowerment and surrender - but there are still pieces missing - and I'm uncertain how the bigger picture is supposed to look?  It helps to hear other people's stories and experiences - not just the positive and comforting parts, but the honest sharing of struggles, frustrations & doubts.  

I like this song by Jars of Clay (The Valley Song):
See video

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

“Frightens” and “discourages” are powerful words.

People and, even more especially, organizations that frighten and discourage other people commit a violence as cruel and far-reaching in its impacts as physical violence.

Racism is a particularly nasty form of assault. It can make brutalization seem “normal” because whole communities, not just individuals, are often its targets. And the way communities adjust to cope can end up providing fewer and fewer routes of escape.

This is why I see Idle No More as an enormously courageous movement, and its restraint has been an extraordinary witness to reason and good faith. History may yet come see it as one of the most hopeful and admirable mass actions in modern Canadian history… and declare the reactions of Canada; media, many of its citizens and it government despicable.

Those reactions give me my tastes of fear and discouragement. So I pray and reflect, support activist native friends as best I can, I make it a priority to learn more and more about these cultures and their histories. My wife is active in a Conference-based Circle of Right Relations and we both speak out in our community and among our friends and family.

Racism is a bedrock issue in Canada… now. It must be addressed as a Constitutional imperative. It affects and impoverishes all, and there are far too many who are frightened and discouraged by it.

Is is a healing issue… we ALL need healing before we can have a country we can truly call our "home and native land".

IN THE NEWS THIS WEEK:

TIMMINS – Timmins-James Bay MP Charlie Angus is raising alarm bells about the third world policing conditions face by northern First Nations after the apparent suicide of a young woman in Kasabonika First Nation who was being held in the back seat of a police car because the local police station had no heat.

Angus says this death is just the latest in a series of horror stories facing the under-funded Nishnawbe Aski Police (NAPs) service.

“We have police officers working with no back-up and sleeping in places where you wouldn’t let a dog sleep. We have prisoners being held in the back seats of cars or in makeshift jails where they face risk of either fire or freezing,” said Angus. “The NAPS officers are being forced to work in conditions that no other police unit in Canada would accept. Why the double standard?”

NAPs is funded 52% by the federal government and 48% by the Province of Ontario. The Federal government has refused to come to the table to discuss addressing the funding shortfalls. Last October, Angus wrote to Justice Minister Vic Toews asking for a plan to address the chronic under-funding. Toews has yet to answer.

“The Conservatives talk loudly about being tough on crime and providing safe communities. Yet they are leaving northern citizens and First Nation police to put up with third world conditions. This situation is unacceptable.”

In 2006, two young men burned to death in a makeshift jail cell in Kashechewan First Nation. A coroner’s inquiry came forward with 86 recommendations to address the situation faced by NAPs police. So far, the government has ignored many of the key recommendations.

------

Do WE care?

revjohn's picture

revjohn

DivingDeeply wrote:

Discuss: What is happening in your life right now that frightens or discourages you? How might you find the courage to step out, remembering Christ is with you?

Nothing in my life frightens or discourages me.  There have been moments when fear fought for a place, to date I have been given the grace and the strength to resist that advance.  There are also times when discouragement would have been the easiest response to all that was going on, to date I have been given the grace and the strength not to cave in.

My time wrestling developed within me the ability to learn lessons while being mastered and the awareness that no matter how tough the opponent they have a weakness and they make mistakes that I can capitalize on.  In the end it is about being able to endure and be ready to take advantage when those mistakes happen.

Every problem I have ever faced fits into the framework that my wrestling experience provided.  The grace of God gives me what I need to endure and resist even when taking a beating.  So long as I bide my time and keep my balance there will be an opportunity for the tables to be turned.  Should I fail to bide my time, then I will be better prepared for the next struggle.

God's grace is sufficient for me and I am assured of receiving it whether I am the victor in any particular match or not.

For me it is less about needing courage to take the next step and more about being confident of which step provides the surer footing.

Grace and peace to you.

John

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Pinga's picture

Pinga

DivingDeeply wrote:

My weight and health was discouraging me; however, I have found a fitness program that is working for me.  I have been ale to start progress in that area.

As I pondered though, while driving (thanks RevJohn), the thing that kept coming to my mind was my Dad.  Both immediate needs, as well as the complications with his house should he die.  Those issues are a weight around my neck that have the possibility of longterm family breakups.

There is no easy answer, but just keeping on without intentionally addressing doesn't make it better.

I am not sure that having Christ with me is the words that I would use; however, knowing the message of facing an item and walking with other,s helps.
Back to Church Life topics