aotn's picture

aotn

Pray for Michaelle Jean

If there is one person I feel bad for in the midst of this federal government showdown, aside from Canada as a whole, it's Governor General Michaelle Jean, who now has an extremely difficult decision to make. Harper's going to ask her to prorouge Parliament or call an election, while Dion and Layton will ask her to let them form the government. The Tories are launching e-mail and phone blitzes on her office, and the country is divided on what should happen to Parliament. Her supposedly-ceremonial role is about to take on the biggest decision in the country.

So I think we really need to pray for her, that she'll make the right choice, that she won't be intimidated by anyone else and that she'll be able to handle the enourmous amount of stress that is on her right now. She's a wonderful person and a great representative of Canada, and it almost seems unfair that she has such a big decision to make.

(As an aside, I actually can't make up my mind on this one. I want to see Harper get what he deserves for being such a bully, but the idea of Dion being PM during an economic crisis is not settling...)

Share this

Comments

LBmuskoka's picture

LBmuskoka

elisabeth wrote:

I am stunned that Madam Jean granted Harper a suspension of Parliament.  I think that this is the worst thing that she could have done.  She has in essense set a terrible precedent in that she has now established a remedy for future Prime Ministers to stall none confidence votes to allow them the time to delay things to regroup. 

That apparently is the beauty of the Governor General's position, it does not set precedent.  From yesterdays Globe and Mail

The key point is that whatever Ms. Jean did yesterday won't tie the hands of future governors-general or unleash future prime ministers to run over Parliament with their boots.

The reserve powers - the powers that may be exercised by the governor-general without the approval of another branch of government - are undefined and will never be defined, Prof. Smith said.

[....]

Similarly, the reserve powers don't fall under the umbrella of what is known as convention, the non-legal rules of the Constitution.

For example, the Constitution makes the Queen and governor-general essential parties to all federal legislation and expressly confers upon them the power to withhold royal assent from a bill passed by both houses of Parliament.

But convention stipulates that royal assent is never withheld - and it never has been withheld federally.

With Ms. Jean's decision yesterday, said Prof. Franks, a leading scholar on parliamentary procedure, "while this might be a guide for future governors-general, it won't be a precedent."

Click for complete article "There's no hint whether prorogation came with strings attached"

Frommian's picture

Frommian

Actually, having given it thought, I doubt it would be precident setting anyway.  It can be argued she made this choice to try to give Canada some stability in a financial crisis.  It can be argued that, had he asked at any other time to hide behind the Govornor general, she would have told him to grow a set and get back to work.  However, if she saw a chance that the delay could give him time to behave like a good little boy, and time for him to give a deal to the others with a "no backsies" clause that all could agree with, she may have thought it was worth a shot in the current financial environment. In future there may be nothing to gain for anyone but the coward asking for the delay, and it will be quite easy for the GG to refuse the request.

alta's picture

alta

You know, I can't help but let my mind wander back to 2005 and wonder how the conversation went between PM Martin and Ms. Jean:

"Oh, it's an easy job; host some parties and state visits, go to other countries for state visits, open the odd museum and such.  It's all ceremonial.  Well, almost.  I mean there's a chance you could have to make a decision of extrteme imortance that could affect life for all Canadians- but what are the chances that'll ever happen!"

sighsnootles's picture

sighsnootles

LOL!!!

millk's picture

millk

Hi! Its your friendly neighbourhood Monarchist here! Please remember that the GG is the representitive of the Queen in Canada and as such I'm sure she probably shot off a text or something to the person with the greatest political mind on the planet (IMHO) for some guidance in what to do here.

I will say that with all this going on I am hearing so many people who have no idea what the GG really is and getting lots of questions about the Monarchy in Canada which I love answering.

stoneeyeball's picture

stoneeyeball

I don't feel sorry for Ms. Jean.  She's getting paid VERY WELL for her job.  Every job has stress, and if you can't handle it, let someone in who can.  I'm not saying or implying she can't handle it;  it's just that what she's doing now is part of the package.  How many of us could go to a foreign country and end up with one of the most powerful government positions without some sort of political or military coup?  I would pray for her only after praying for our public safety workers; police, fire, and ambulance.  I would pray for her only after praying for our soldiers putting their lives on the line in a  foreign country.  The sick, terminally ill, dying, impoverished, homeless, etc. are more in need of prayer.  Ms. Jean is a capable individual.  If you want the big bucks, sometimes you have to eat 'dirt'.  If she fails, don't blame her (everyone sing along), Blame Canada, Blame Canada......

stoneeyeball's picture

stoneeyeball

I don't feel sorry for Ms. Jean.  She's getting paid VERY WELL for her job.  Every job has stress, and if you can't handle it, let someone in who can.  I'm not saying or implying she can't handle it;  it's just that what she's doing now is part of the package.  How many of us could go to a foreign country and end up with one of the most powerful government positions without some sort of political or military coup?  I would pray for her only after praying for our public safety workers; police, fire, and ambulance.  I would pray for her only after praying for our soldiers putting their lives on the line in a  foreign country.  The sick, terminally ill, dying, impoverished, homeless, etc. are more in need of prayer.  Ms. Jean is a capable individual.  If you want the big bucks, sometimes you have to eat 'dirt'.  If she fails, don't blame her (everyone sing along), Blame Canada, Blame Canada......

Back to Politics topics
cafe