somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Room For All (Part III)

Since Room For All Part 2 has now been closed, it seems it is now time to start a new thread for this wonderful room filled with friends new and old.

I shall start it again as Pinga did the last one - by quoting Busymom's original post:

Busymom wrote:

Wondercafe is a busy place.  Kind of like a Union Station....a hub of activity with people coming and going all the time.  I'm a people watcher and love to sit in a place like a train station marvelling at all the different types of people that I see and imagining what their lives are like. 

Wondercafe offers us even more.  Here we get to see and meet all kinds of people but even better yet we are offered glimpses into their lives.  They share life's joys, questions, celebrations, disappointments, worries, ambitions, concerrns and even share in their time of loneliness and grief.  And in this place, where people are busy, and people are coming and going, we do what few people do in the real world.  We stop and listen.  We reach out.  And hopefully we help one another.

In some corners of the room, it may get noisy as people banter back and forth.  In other corners of the room it is much quieter, as people not only listen, but they reflect and carefully choose their responses to the person in crisis.  In some areas of the room we ponder life's big questions.  Other areas of the room are silly and often resemble a party of one type or another.  So many people, so many different lives, all carrying different things in their suitcases, and this UNION station offers room for all.

I am opening the doors wide in this thread.  The room is big, the room is inviting, the room is warm.....there is room for all.  Enter in and bring with you whatever you like....you may add decorations to fill the space, you may offer food to nourish others, you may bring only yourself and tell us how you're doing.  You are welcome here.  I'll be happy to see you and sit for a while.   Please continue to welcome others as they enter in and if I'm not in sight, please tend to their needs.  This is a busy union station of people coming and going.  Let's make sure that everyone is recognized and that their needs are met.  If they are happy, let's share in their joy.  If they are sad, let's offer them an ear, a hug and a caring heart.  If they are lost, let's offer them hope that they'll find their way and perhaps some guidance.  If they are hungry, let's feed them.

There is room for all.

Welcome.

Share this

Comments

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

thinking of all of you.seeler.heart

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Thinking of seeler girl

The Naramata peacocks are feral and can be noisy. The females have been moved elsewhere-to prevent more and to let them bred with non-relatives. The peacocks are lovely-but can be pests!

carolla's picture

carolla

True Tabitha - I recall when I was a little kid, going with my grandpa to visit friends farm & they had several peacocks - I found them pretty scary & loud, although intriguing.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I had a long day today with ups and downs.  I'm having a bit of a rebound effect after stopping some medication which left me feeling sick for most of the afternoon.  My car wouldn't start (I think and hope it's the battery) so was a bit late getting to an appointment.  I got there sooner than I thought I could by walking though, so that was positive.

Then Chemguy and I looked at houses.  One was really great, but just wrong for us along with pushing our budget.  Chemguy really liked it, while I didn't.  Usually it's the other way around.  I actually really liked the house, if there were more than 2 of us - I have no clue what we would do with so many bedrooms!

Then we went to another one that he loved the location for, and I really disliked.  Luckily for me the house would need a ton of major repairs, we walked out without even going upstairs.  Chemguy was disappointed, I was a little excited for the next one, but containing myself as the neighbourhood is pricier and everytime we looked at a house there previously, there was something majorly wrong with it or negative about the location.

We both really like it!  I talked to some of the neighbours too.  They all seem really friendly and were already hanging out on the street with each other.

Got back home, and nothing came out of the tap when I turned on the hot water.  It was off for quite a few hours.  Chemguy went to bed without dinner, and I'm going to have to grab something as I just realized I only ate rice for lunch because I wasn't feeling great.

We'll decide tomorrow if we want to go ahead with an offer on the house.  I think we will, as the more I think about the house, the more I like it.  Hopefully Chemguy feels the same!

I hope Seelergirl is recovering well!  I'll share whatever I manage to dig up for late dinner Seeler, as I'm guessing your day was longer than mine!

seeler's picture

seeler

Hi All.  Thanks for your good wishes for Seelergirl.  Yesterday was a long day.  Two surgeons - the operation (for Crohns desease) was much more complicated than they had anticipated.  Considering the fact that she had continued to work and look after her home and children, they hadn't realized how much pain she was in most of the time, and how undernourished she had been due to inability to eat much or to absorb the nuterients from what she managed to eat. 

But the good news is that the surgery went well and it is over now. Damage was limited to one section about 18 inches long that was scared, inflamed, twisted and with adhesions. They were able to remove it (along with her overies and filopian tubes). It should heal well - baring infection, and she is on antibiotics.

Yesterday she was dopy, in a lot of pain. She could just call "Mom" and I would squeeze her hand and say "I'm here." This morning she has already called to say "Good morning". Her voice is strong and she can carry on a conversation.

I raised her to be strong, confident, capable. She is all of that and more.

We aren't out of the woods yet. She will be in the hospital for about a week. But the worst is over. Please continue to pray.

No sign of cancer!

chemgal's picture

chemgal

The lack of cancer must be a bit of relief to both of you!  Thanks for the update Seeler, I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

carolla's picture

carolla

Wrap yourselves in your Wondercafe prayer shawl seeler - you all are certainly in our thoughts.  Sending healing love to seelergirl. 

Good luck with your house offer chemgal!  That's an exciting step to be taking.  

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Carolla!  I've gone from being really excited at the thought of that house, to having knots in my stomache at the thought of actually buying a house!  lol

carolla's picture

carolla

The knots are just part of the process!  When we bought our house ... it was a rooming house at the time! ... I remember the day we picked up the keys - we went to the house, walked through it & thought "OMG what have we done????" and then we just left!  But here we still are, over 30 years later - it's been a fantastic family home in a wonderful neighbourhood, with terrific caring neighbours.  I hope yours will be same chemgal. 

chemgal's picture

chemgal

carolla wrote:

"OMG what have we done????"

lol I think Chemguy and I are both fluctuating back and forth between that feeling and there's still a ways to go with it!

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

It is quite warm here in Toronto. A delicious frozen lemonade would be quite welcome tonight.

BetteTheRed's picture

BetteTheRed

Must be all that pollution keeping the warm in, Jae. It was refreshingly cool last night just north of there, and it was only 10 very early this a.m. when Lucy the wonder dog and I drove down to the lake to throw sticks. Will you take some warm tea this morning? 

*Bette bustles about setting out pots of Fair Trade organic tea, coffee, herbal tea. *

chemgal, congratulations! It's a wonderful step in life to have your own little parcel of land to do with (sort of) as you wish. To nurture the soil and the life within it, to share in Godde's bounty of flower and fruit. To become steward of the birds, the butterflies, the worm and the vole with whom you'll share your corner of the world.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Bette!  We still have a ways to go before it's ours.  I've got Chemguy convinced it's a really nice neighbourhood, so hopefully this all works out!  Otherwise our search area has become much smaller.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Fingers crossed chemgal!

Bette - it was about the same temperature here last night.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Somegal!

Chemguy is working out of town, so I get to try to organize everything myself.  I'm feeling sick.  Some of it is stress, some of it is a lack of sleep from some medications.  I think I need to stretch and breathe a bit this morning.  Made up yoga :)

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Chemgal-it is an exciting time for you! Good wishes!

Seeler-exciting news of your upcoming journey!

I'm busy with the end of year school stuff but all is well.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Tabitha!

We're feeling a little stressed out.  There was a mistake on our mortgage documents, we got that fixed.  I'm surprised at the lack of written information though.  We briefly discussed some things during the pre-approval process.  Some of it wasn't discussed in detail and some of it Chemguy and I interrupted what was said differently when we talked about after the fact.  None of these details are written down!  I thought the legal document would help clarify, but it's just a spot to sign that it was discussed.  Is this normal?

Tabitha, are you having any end of the year parties?  You must be looking forward to the start of summer!

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

I'm busy with end of the school year and beginning of summer stuff. We started training for our day camps yesterday. I will be the only regular leader in the second oldest group - but will have two inclusion leaders working in my group. It should be a ton of fun!

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

I am discovering in real life as i age that it is better to remain silent. To not all-that-openly share my emotions with others. To keep my personal beliefs, feelings' and opinions as well-guarded secrets, letting only those people i am closest to in on them. To express myself more through kind and loving acts than through words. Doing other than these things runs the risk of just hurting and offending people - and no one needs that.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

[quote=BetteTheRed]

Must be all that pollution keeping the warm in, Jae. It was refreshingly cool last night just north of there, and it was only 10 very early this a.m. when Lucy the wonder dog and I drove down to the lake to throw sticks. Will you take some warm tea this morning? 

*Bette bustles about setting out pots of Fair Trade organic tea, coffee, herbal tea. *

[/quote
]

maybe you're right bette that it's the pollution. There is smog in toronto. On many summer mornings you can see the yellow-brown above the downtown skyline. We live in the 'burbs where there is more parkland and less visible pollution.

it must be nice to walk with Lucy by the lake.

tea is not my thing. I like coffee with milk and sugar, and cinnamon and cocoa powder sprinkled on top.

i have to offer some frozen girl guide cookies if you or anyone else would like one.

Arminius's picture

Arminius

Dcn. Jae wrote:
I am discovering in real life as i age that it is better to remain silent. To not all-that-openly share my emotions with others. To keep my personal beliefs, feelings' and opinions as well-guarded secrets, letting only those people i am closest to in on them. To express myself more through kind and loving acts than through words. Doing other than these things runs the risk of just hurting and offending people - and no one needs that.

Hi Jae:

I have discovered the opposite as I aged: I have learned to open my mouth and mind and freely share my emotions, beliefs, feelings, opinions, and secrets.

Each to his own, eh?wink

Whom they take they take into space, to behold the birth of stars, to learn one of the meanings,

To launch off with absolute faith, to sweep through the ceaseless rings, and never be quiet again.

-From The Song Of The Answerer by Walt Whitman

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Arminius wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Hi Jae:

I have discovered the opposite as I aged: I have learned to open my mouth and mind and freely share my emotions, beliefs, feelings, opinions, and secrets.

Each to his own, eh?wink

May our chosen paths work out well for each of us.

Arminius wrote:
Whom they take they take into space, to behold the birth of stars, to learn one of the meanings,

To launch off with absolute faith, to sweep through the ceaseless rings, and never be quiet again.

-From The Song Of The Answerer by Walt Whitman

That's beautiful, thank you sharing it. A song is, of course, but one way to convey a message.

I may in the future I think say more without words through things like art and good works than I have in the past.

Rich blessings.  

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

And I'm struggling with knowing when to speak up, and when to keep quiet.  Seems lately I get it wrong, when it seemed like I was pretty intuitive about it.  Maybe what I need is to listen more, because maybe some particular people are struggling to express themselves well, and I'm missing the messages. 

It wasn't until I read Jae's response back to you, Arminius, that I connected with your conversation.  But I came here to settle in and be around friends, because today just seems frustrating.

Being a Supporter through long trudges toward wellness is exhausting.  I'm tired of walking on eggshells.

Being a parent of nice kids who don't do anything ... at all.... ever....  is exhausting.  I'm tired of being cheerleader/butt-kicker.

Thanks for listening.  Sorry I haven't caught up on everyone's stories. I know some of your tough spaces and send hugs.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Birthstone wrote:

Being a Supporter through long trudges toward wellness is exhausting.  I'm tired of walking on eggshells.

Being a parent of nice kids who don't do anything ... at all.... ever....  is exhausting.  I'm tired of being cheerleader/butt-kicker.

Thanks for listening.  Sorry I haven't caught up on everyone's stories. I know some of your tough spaces and send hugs.

SG's picture

SG

I snuck in for a read as I thought losing myself in this thread would help as I get "the nerves" about this next leg of my journey.

I cannot sneak back out without a word. So, I offer-

Gentle hugs and soft thoughts for those in need.
Gentle pushes and encouragement where it is needed.

I also have fresh picked strawberries! Oodles of them....

May everyone have the best evening that is possible this evening.

carolla's picture

carolla

STRAWBERRIES!!  STRAWBERRIES!!  I've got some fresh whipped cream ... does it get any better than that???  Thanks SG!!  cheeky

Hugs birthstone - those eggshells are exhausting, I do remember it well.  There were times when I just didn't talk - because whatever I said would seem wrong or stupid to someone else - very demoralizing time for me.  But that too passed ... eventually.  So yes ... come hang out here with people who appreciate you for the wonderful being that you are.  Come, sit here by the campfire with me a bit & let's eat our strawberries peacefully while the sun sets... blissful sighs ... 

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

I will offer some of the fresh picked Okanagan cherries to all. Yummy!

A rainy day here-and cooler-the creek is raging outside my window as I type-thinking of Canmore with floods and now a gasline rupture...

feeling good that I did all my expense and statistics for work yesterday-the least favourite part of my job but now I can enjoy my last 5 days!

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

My daughter is stuck in traffic. Streets are all flooded from the down pour we have just had. Regina - across town in 20 minutes . It has taken her 45 minutes to go a few blocks. Yike.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Tabitha, is there a second gasline rupture, or are you referring to the one in Turner Valley?

There's so much flooding in many places!  Hopefully Penny is far enough North to be ok.  We checked with our families.  My sister in law is close to an evacuation zone, but her street isn't included.  Southern Alberta could really use some sun!

chemgal's picture

chemgal

SG, good luck with the rest of the move & transition!

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

carolla wrote:

STRAWBERRIES!!  STRAWBERRIES!!  I've got some fresh whipped cream ... does it get any better than that???  Thanks SG!!  cheeky

Yes it does - I will make up some shortcake for all to enjoy - real shortcake that is. wink

Pinga's picture

Pinga

aaah, sorry about the eggshells.

i get the kids who dont' want to do....i have one of those who is happy to hang unless someone reaches out.

my hope is that they will be happy in a relationship some day too..and for now, just appreciate being here. 

i have quit worrying so much about it...

chemgal's picture

chemgal

See video

carolla's picture

carolla

gosh - what a lot of flooding - weird weather is abundant!  My friend was in London ON on  Sunday evening & there was a sudden violent thunderstorm with deluge of rain & even a heavy SNOW flurry in the midst of it - then blue sky again! 

Summer solstice is almost here - maybe it will be a turning point.  In the meantime - stay safe all!

chemgal's picture

chemgal

This morning my FB friends were telling me Calgary had a hurricane.  It was heavy, sideways rain.  Some of the people I know are now evacuated.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Yes AB Penny-with the river that flows thru the farm is on my mind! and the rest of the flooded places In AB and BC.  Our creek is high-but still well below the banks...

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

I am sending prayers for dryer weather to those who need it.

In addition to the strawberries and whipped cream, I will make up a pot of tea. Anyone who would like to partake is welcome. I will simply sit here on the couch with a pile of extra blankets to wrap around the shoulders of those who need one. I offer my ears to listen and my arms to hug.

seeler's picture

seeler

Sorry to hear about all thee bad weather.  Keep safe.  

In a few weeks we will be travelling that way. What will it be like then?

Meanwhile, yes, I'll have some strawberries and cream. I haven't seen any local strawberries yet so these will be a real treat.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

You may find roads are washed out and that detours are up, Seeler, but I am sure they will be working on instructions.

I am thinking also of my nephew who lives near Wellington, New Zealand

Not sure if you have heard of the storm there, but, it is crazy,

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10891966

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Seeler, it depends where you go.  It's Southern Alberta that had it bad.  Detours will be set up in Canmore for sure.  The storm is making it's way North, but they aren't predicting it to be as bad here.

All schools have been closed in Calgary, and Chemguy got an email saying no one was to go to Calgary today (not that he was anyway).  There's a live cam at a fairly busy area, and it's dead with some water in the street.  Some people who were offering up a place to stay for those evacuated ended up evacuated themselves.  Everyone sounds ok though!

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Haha, not sure if this is true, but I heard that the lions and tigers from the zoo are currently being held in the courhouse.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Sorry for all the posts, things keep coming up on FB.  This is by the stampede grounds:

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

Mmmm!  Thanks for the strawberries & cherries!  Perfect on cinnamon waffles with maple syrup ;)  Breakfast for a queen. 

So is everyone who knows Calgary folks/etc content that their loved ones are safe & sound?  I've been trying to imagine how that feels because it looks absolutely terrifying.  Though many pics of people are filled with goofy laughter.  I'm sure it isn't really that funny. 

Pinga & Carolla - I've been thinking of you & your parenting wisdom lately, knowing that it works out.  But staying silent seems and natural consequences seem harsh when it's supposed to be time for a celebration.  And the energy for this, compared to other things, is non-existent from my sweetheart right now. 

Thanks Jae - the bear & flowers suit just how I'm feeling, and they felt like a hug. 

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Birthstone, many of the people I know aren't majorly affected, they are far enough away from the river.  Others who were evacuated are a bit nervous about their homes, but everyone sounds ok.  My FB feed is full of people opening out their homes for anyone who needs it.  It's a mess, roads are closed, but Calgarians had warning to get to safe areas and to pack up what they needed.  There are some low key parties when small groups are all staying in the same place.  Last I heard, so far there are zero reported injuries in the city.

A friend in the field had a bit more of a run.  She goes to very remote areas, but she's fine.  I think it was people in High River who had it the worst, that appears to be very sudden.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Pinga, that video didn't look too horrible, just really bad driving conditions.  I looked up some others though and yikes!  It's a big mess there too.  Hopefully he has everything he needs to stay put for a while.

Birthstone, I'm sorry to hear that home is a little stressful right now.  I don't fully know what's wrong, but would getting out of the house and doing something that takes a bit of the pressure off help?  Have a mini celebration while also bringing up the tough stuff with some open ended questions and a lot of listening?

Northwind's picture

Northwind

My sister's in-laws have been evacuated from their home in High Prairie, AB. Apparently the place they were evacuated to was also evacuated. I understand they will be able to stay with friends or family. Suddenly my father's old insult "Oh dry up" sounds like a prayer. Sending prayers to those in southern AB and parts of BC

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

One might say, Northwind, that you're "all washed up," or perhaps, you're "a big drip."  I hope you dry up too :)

Chemgal - thanks. A few things are going on, and my anonymity here isn't as solid as others, so I'm careful.  Suffice it to say, my girl doesn't even have enough bus money to get to a free concert tonight, and she's supposed to be going to college on her own in the fall.  Huge gap between her enthusiasm and her responsibiltiy.  And my sweetheart is finally facing dark shadows that have followed him a long time, and it is good work but draining and difficult.  Kind of lonely. Everything is piling up this week.

Want pancakes anyone?  My girl is making them as we speak - hot & fresh.  Perfect with strawberries, cherries, blueberries whatever.  $10 each, to pay for college ;)   

I count my blessings every day, but it is getting old.  Sometimes you just have to call out the BS.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

$10 is a little steep, how about 2 for that price?  :)

Hopefully the start of college will help her out with some self-discovery, its a big change!

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

Ok, 2 it is.  They turned out well so its a bargain. I'll throw in some fair trade coffee too :)

Pinga's picture

Pinga

lol, birthstone, thanks for the pancakes.  college money in the virtual jar.

i get the teen thing...it is hard.

thinking of you all, no extra special wisdom, but thought i would share a story..and hopefully you can help me laugh.

So, my dad had an eye appt he was nervous about, so I went with him. He is considering cataract surgery.  

So, we had the initial test, then moved into the 2nd waiting room, that should have been a sign.  An hour later, I am still there, I am standing, Dad is talking to another old guy in his 80's, the young women at the end and the other old guy's wife every once in a while are laughing at the stories the two old guys are telling each other, and dad has them all chatting together ....and they are looking at me with big eyes and laughter as they hear the stories of cleaning, jam & whatever..life is interesting when you are in a waiting room for 2hrs with a bunch of people who are "in a mood".

We finally get done, and get the doctor andwork through the stuff...

I had expected to be gone for 20min, max, so, had not shutdown and had to go back to work which was just down the street.

I asked him if he wished to go up to the office.  I advised him people were still working when he was fairly loud...we got to my desk, I introduced him to my student.  I advised him there were otehrs around.  He walked away for a minute, and when he came back, I realized he walked away to fart, how do I know that, he told us .  I suggested there were people still working, and that that i could show him where the washroom was if he needed it.  He said he was sorry had had to do it for a while. didn't need washroom..   About 2 minutes later, he let our a huge fart...i mean, a ripper...teh kind that turns heads......and then announced, see I told you that I had gas bad.

there are times that you aren't sure if you shoudl crawl under a desk,....and you remember what your mother had to put up with.

Back to Relationships topics
cafe