somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Beer With Jesus

I heard this song on the radio today and thought it would be interesting to share here. What would you ask Jesus if you got the chance?

Share this

Comments

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Is the powerful mind à JahZouse all over d'ep Lace ... dat's Lucé thought ... authority despises ...

All must be controlled ... a love of NV's sort where de vice is mim'd in Arabic ... venting of collective emotions about the balance not having any processing ability ...

The point is passed and the reciver doesn't know what, or how to deal with it ... ploe's Hares ... sodomize de head ... screw some sense into the vacant thing of man ...

Ain't aDah devilish thing to say ... could get me pleated by authority ... or other wise kil't ... Ba'aL's Luce tode brae'Z ... gulches are like folds in time ... mad cattlemen run eM ... as if there were no end to wee beephs ...

sighsnootles's picture

sighsnootles

graeme wrote:

2. I wouldn't ask Him anything. In the light of how much He has told us, and told us very clearly, I would be too embarassed to ask more questions when we've barely lifted a finger to carry out the advice we've had for two millenia.

YES.

THIS.

sighsnootles's picture

sighsnootles

i'd have a vodka, though.  jesus can drink whatever he wants, i'll pick up the tab.

chansen's picture

chansen

sighsnootles wrote:

graeme wrote:

2. I wouldn't ask Him anything. In the light of how much He has told us, and told us very clearly, I would be too embarassed to ask more questions when we've barely lifted a finger to carry out the advice we've had for two millenia.

YES.

THIS.

LMAO. Clearly? Clearly?!? The same message that has spawned thousands of denominations is clear? Hundreds of apparent contradictions in the bible, and not a question? A bible in flux from centuries of edits and dubious translations, and not a query? Not a single, "Hey Jesus, what the hell did you really mean with...?"

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Love the alien ...

Do I detect tension on the internal lyre ?

That should be good for a satirical whine, something that's not quite the way it appears ... ana chronism' de vice of literary talent ... somewhat burried cause people at this junctute would rather fight than have intercourse---Plato!

Telll me metaphor isn't originating from Classic Sour Sis ...

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

What do we know?

Check it out in a stretch ... the eternal pilgrimage ... there's Moor tuit ... than a contained persona can abstract upon ... we'll call eM mortal!

Should one espress themselves gentillais ... flattery is the best of satire ... tell eM something so nice they won't believe it ... Bambi's mother doe's çid oes ...

Song and Dan's man? Thats jack the magi matrix sometimes called trix stir ... out there inside so you can't see it work'n a wales of the gods ... they gutta chuckle ...

Consequence of looking at gammos from outside the system as inversion ... upsetting for those that thought they were upright ... that's ET'IHS He' ... like pine'n in a heh's tax ...

SG's picture

SG

I would show up at the bar early. I am always early meeting folks. I would likely wear jeans and a shirt, some shoes as they are required. I would not carry a Bible.

I would glance to see if he was there and hope I recognized him.

If he was not there, I would sit down next to the pool table. I figure that way if we want to play a game we do not have to move tables. Alone I would sit at the bar, but those stools are hard for some folks... so, a table it is.

I would look at a menu or see what music options there were while I waited. I wouldn't be on the phone, texting or tweeting or Farmvilling. I would be waiting.

When Jesus arrived, I would stand up. I would try to read whether to go with the smile and nod, the handshake, the hug...If it is a hug, is it one armed or two... like dancing, determine if it was meant to be close hold or with distance between the bodies...

Then, we would sit down and I would open with a question likely. I would go with "So, how have you been?" or something.

I would order water and food. Heck, he can turn water into wine!

In other words, it sounds like I am meeting someone. It doesn't differ much whether it is LBmuskoka, Pinga, Busymom, PilgrimsProgress... except none of them could turn water into wine. Shucks!!!!

BetteTheRed's picture

BetteTheRed

chansen wrote:
LMAO. Clearly? Clearly?!? The same message that has spawned thousands of denominations is clear? Hundreds of apparent contradictions in the bible, and not a question? A bible in flux from centuries of edits and dubious translations, and not a query? Not a single, "Hey Jesus, what the hell did you really mean with...?"

The basic message is simple: love neighbour as self, as you do to the least of these you do to me, etc. The actual follow-up activities are hard, so we distract ourselves with all the other stuff.

I actually would like to ask Jesus what he thinks of contemporary divorce. I think marriage breakdown is a big spiritual problem, and I'd love his advice. I don't drink, but I don't care if he has a beer as long as it doesn't make him stupid, which seems to be alcohol's almost inevitable effect on the people of my acquaintance.

chansen's picture

chansen

If, hypothetically, you were to sit down to drinks with the Son of God (He of the omnipotence and all that cool stuff), you would be concerned that He would become inebriated and...do what, exactly? Start a bar fight and send in a localized flood? Maybe a few angry bears?

This is actually a great topic. What would be an acceptable BAC for Jesus? At what point would He be unable to drive? At what point would He pass out? Excellent questions, all.

seeler's picture

seeler

Since Jesus was fully human, I would imagine he would react to a few beers just the same as any one of us.   I would expect in a social setting, he would relax with a few beers, spaced out over a visit, while also enjoying something to eat. 

I don't imagine Jesus as a teetotaler or as a person inclined to over indulge, although he may decide that he would rather have wine or a coke, and occasionally he may let down enough to have one too many.  I hope then he would have sense enouh not to drive, or that I would have sense enough to suggest alternate transportation.  "Let's walk over to where you are staying.  I need the exercise and fresh air.  You can pick up your car tomorrow."

chansen's picture

chansen

And, if his hotel was across the river, no need to find a bridge.

seeler's picture

seeler

I think that if we are not able to drive, we probably shouldn't set out in a canoe either.  We'd be wise to use a bridge.

chansen's picture

chansen

Silly, He could walk across. Who's the atheist now?

airclean33's picture

airclean33

Hi seeler-- Chansen is very fast. I could be wrong . But I think he was saying Jesus could walk on the water.

airclean33's picture

airclean33

Hi chansen sorry about that . But I was still typing on  my P-C board when you posted.

SG's picture

SG

Chansen,

I remember sitting with the kids talking about the story of Jonah. Now, I told them that it was a story, a myth. I told them he likely lived, or the story was real important, because it is in all three Abrahamic faiths.  I told them I said story or myth, because even if I believe in the faith, believe in God, believe Jonah existed, believe in reading the Bible... I also believe in oxygen.

I believe in gravitational force on a body. I believe it is usually greater than the bouyant force.

Rather odd, you see God, the Bible, Christianity, Jesus.... more like some folks than others.

chansen's picture

chansen

Ahhh...so you want it both ways. Cover all your bases. Smart.

seeler's picture

seeler

Again I say - if he had too much to drink to drive, I don't think it would be wise to risk crossing on stepping stones, or floating logs.

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Perhaps it is just an Icon ... things hated by many religions like the knowledge of strange words ... here; are the only ones you should know!

Could this be a spectre of anachronism? That'd be like a ghost of variation eh ... stoics couldn't have that couldn't deal with such complexity that is sometimes called Unreal in Scientific observation of the obtuse. Did you get that Po'Guru ...

Consider Chist as Light ... does that devilish satyr (Icon, metaphor) Dan's on water? Then why is the sol' or psyche often compared to a dark pool, a Shadow? That's deis uððer side of de myth and one-sided types can't see multilaterally ... sort of like multitasking in a world where thinking and awareness is declared a sin for common people ... consider the tree of Loci and its fate in the sight of gods!

When you wish for ignorance in the pool ... does it reflect on the leaders? Lets drift off a bit and medi tate on that! Sort of like cont-eM-plaite'n folded memes ... that's common space to keep those dimensions of thought out of sight like a closed bo'que ... protects ye gods from processing mysteries ...

Much is lost as unthunk but really forgotten without a paen to draw eM back ... like echos in a cave of Plato ... weird shadows off the wale a' stone ... any idee what you could hack out of a larger sole? Its base to thought ... good paenan  de as is ...

Pilgrims Progress's picture

Pilgrims Progress

if I saw Jesus drinking a beer in a pub, I would ask if I may sit with him a while and drink my glass of white wine.

If he agreed, I would ask him to listen to a song with me - and comment on the thoughts and feelings that the contents evoked in him.

I would begin by gesturing towards my glass and say, "This song is called "Drinking White wine in the Sun"  - and it celebrates your birthday. Without you, there'd be no song......"

Pilgrims Progress's picture

Pilgrims Progress

................Then I would ask him if I could shout him another beer, or perhaps he'd like a white wine with me?

chansen's picture

chansen

Pilgrims Progress wrote:

I would begin by gesturing towards my glass and say, "This song is called "Drinking White wine in the Sun"  - and it celebrates your birthday. Without you, there'd be no song......"

Yes, Jesus, it's written and performed by a guy who thinks your fan club are clinically insane, and talks about celebrating your birthday by drinking and not discussing your name at all. Why do you ask?

SG's picture

SG

chansen,

I do not want you to ever think I am trying to convince you or convert you, because I do not prosyletize.

I am simply explaining myself and my beliefs.

I have not once told you that you "need" to convert. I have never spoken as if you are not educated or need enlightened. I have never treated you as though you are in some deficient state. I have never said atheism is not OK with me. Why? Because it is honest. I am not a Jesus freak according to your phrasing.

I have no animosity toward atheists and agnostics. I reject much of the same things that they do. I also count many friends who are followers of various faiths as well as those of no faith or who are followers of an atheistic/agnoistic faith.

I proselytize none of them. 

It is not who or what I am.

I wish you offered the same.

So, in light of your comment, I feel I need to ask, if an aboriginal person shares an aboriginal story, values it as part of their culture, their tradition, values story-telling, values the lessons that can be taught using it as a tool... and said, "and I believe in evolution".
Would you accuse them of hedging their bets or covering their bases? Or would you be wise enough to see their science and their culture overlap? Could you see that sharing their people's story does not mean they "believe" the story in any literal way. Could you see that it means something else?

Every culture, every nation, every people, every community, every family....... have stories of their own.

airclean33's picture

airclean33

SG wrote:

Chansen,

I remember sitting with the kids talking about the story of Jonah. Now, I told them that it was a story, a myth. I told them he likely lived, or the story was real important, because it is in all three Abrahamic faiths.  I told them I said story or myth, because even if I believe in the faith, believe in God, believe Jonah existed, believe in reading the Bible... I also believe in oxygen.

I believe in gravitational force on a body. I believe it is usually greater than the bouyant force.

Rather odd, you see God, the Bible, Christianity, Jesus.... more like some folks than others.

-Hi SG--For this very reason I lift the U.C.C. They don;t believe GODS Word The Bible. and they witness it wrong.----

Mat 12:39 But he answered them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign; but no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
Mat 12:40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth

Jesus said this so myself ,I would believe there was a Jonah.It is also the sign of His death and Him being raised again in three days.All things are possible to GOD SG. even walking on water. What will you say when He rides across Heaven on a horse with the armies of Heaven.?

chansen's picture

chansen

Someone let Mel Gibson make another movie?

waterfall's picture

waterfall

LOL!

Neo's picture

Neo

I think if any of us were ever somehow in the position of being able to talk to Jesus, the Christ, in a bar then the experience would be totally different for all of us. And I also think the word "experience" is fitting here, for Masters like the Christ rarely teach with simple words. But rather, the great Ones teach with "vision" and "insight" into the human condition. Their words themselves are not as important as the vision which they derive, and for many, these visions will be very personal and seemingly directed. This is why the greatest Teachers teach in parable and analogy. "Seeing" the meaning of the dead letter is the best type of teaching of all. This is difference between imparting wisdom over knowledge.

The Christ is more than just God-Aware, He is God-Realised. The perfect image and reflection of God. Imagine looking into the eyes of someone who could see your very soul? Being in the presence of such a Greatness would no doubt be a very humbling experience. For good or bad, this experience would guarantee to be moving.

chansen's picture

chansen

Just to be clear, you're talking about Simon Cowell, right?

Neo's picture

Neo

chansen wrote:

Just to be clear, you're talking about Simon Cowell, right?

We'll he may have an ego big enough to think he's the son of god..

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Come to think of it I might ask Jesus why he didn't plunk us directly into heaven when he created us, without having to pass "GO" first.

Or

Why Hell with eternal torture, instead of sending us somewhere not so great or just so so, such as a 3 star hotel instead of a 5 star?

Or

Why did you bother putting Satan in the garden or a tree of knowledge.....what's wrong with puppets?

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

I'm following all this conversation with great interest! I wonder if I would even recognize Jesus if I saw him.

qwerty's picture

qwerty

I would probably get annoyed at his obviously self-conscious but oh so serene manner and having therefore decided to try and avoid having to strike up a conversation with him, would simply request that he please slide the basket of potato chips down the bar.

seeler's picture

seeler

somegalfromcan wrote:

I'm following all this conversation with great interest! I wonder if I would even recognize Jesus if I saw him.

I was just thinking the same thing somegal.  How would I know? 

It's been years since I've been to a bar but I'm trying to imagine the scene.  I'm sitting there.  Somebody slides onto the next stool.  We not to each other.  One of us makes a remark about the weather, the recent big storm in the States, the American election.  We feel comfortable together. He is dressed in jeans, a light jacket, clean shaven and short hair - like almost everybody else in the room.  He notices that I'm trying to pretend that I don't have a tremor in my arm but the bar stool was a poor choice because I don't have anywhere to support my arm.  He suggests that we move to a booth. 

We order a plate of wings, a second drink.  (I"m more apt to be drinking wine.)  We talk some more.  The conversation turns to life - economics, poverty, suffering.  But he also speaks of joy.  I notice he is knowledgable, wise, and compassionate.   We people watch for a bit.  We both laugh at the same time at something that catches our attention.  My arm gets restless again.  He gently places his hand over my hand.  It isn't embarassing.  Gradually my arm settles to a handly noticable tremor in my thumb. 

An hour passes.  The waiter hovers, noticing our empty glasses.  He notices the time.  Goodness, he has to hurry.  He has to be at the emergency shelter in fifteen minutes. 

Only after he is gone, do I realize - I didn't get his name.  And I didn't ask him any pressing questions.  But I feel great!

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

seeler,

that's a nice bit of microprose there :3

Pinga's picture

Pinga

it is, ina.  thanks seeler

Neo's picture

Neo

It was said once that the aura of the Buddha reached out for 3 miles around Him. Imagine the flood of energy inside a small bar..

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Nice Seeler!

SG's picture

SG

Airclean,

You hold up the UCC because we believe in the importance of oxygen and that earth has gravity?

Well, thank you. Thank you very much.

I would not hold up any church that did not believe in oxygen or gravity.

You know why?

Even the most literalist does. They have to. They just do not like admitting it.

They too include consideration of scientific truths in their theology. The truths unveiled by science and the humanities help to develop their theology. They have since the beginning. It is the only way early people knew skin conditions did not simply disappear. It is how their theology could see healing. To see a miracle, you need that.

It is not a popular accusation to make in the opinion of some conservative, some Evangelicals, some who call themselves literalists, but....

Think about it.

In order to see a miracle (even consider one), one MUST believe in the need for oxygen.
Otherwise, anyone could do it and it is just the way it is, no miracle.

In order to see a miracle (even consider one), one MUST believe in gravitational force being greater than bouyancy.
Otherwise, anyone could do it and it is just the way it is, no miracle.

So, I am glad to hear that you too believe in the need for oxygen and the existence of gravity.

SG's picture

SG

Thank you, seeler... and God bless you.
May I have your permission to one day use that in a service?

seeler's picture

seeler

Certainly SG.  I'd be honoured.

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Would you really need to vocalize or would he just emmanate with a phunei glow ...

Like Amaeus out there in the way ... reflecting? Is that too far out for delight?

Recall that Lard Rutherford said Light seems to comefrom everywhere at all times in a spectre ... sort of like a ghost coming off the wall or gamma beaming of the brain ... as detected by functional MRI and positrol emission tommography ... like images inna bo'que ... chaotic-Q! You did know bo induces chaos in Hebrew and "Q" well the queer "O" speaks for itself if you read into it .. as a thought that is alien under the law ... as writ ... self consuming wisdom as the serpent was considered wisdom in old myth ...

And round and round we go again ... DOS functions ... similar to spin of soul ... spindrift ... extreme fugacity ... toute a la horn Gabriel's?

Louis wasn't far off de loe side ... comes from the deeps eh! Concock shin of word ... with hidden rye in th' eM .. as it reverberates through hollo space ... that's up to you to find ... omi saints Deis! A weak spell Ego ... near pellucid?

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Whats Þel-Luc'ID? The devil see'n clear! There are some odd related words that would just shake your botes ...

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

How did I miss this thread? Maybe I am like RevJohn and abstain by choice although shouldn't have to explain. I frequent the bar to take in the atmosphere and the wings.

There is some dancing on the postage stamp floor and fooz ball in the corner. Lots of hooting at the pool table but my eyes are drawn to the dart board. There is a guy casually throwing darts. As I watch, I ask........"I don't know the rules, Can you explain?"

He tells me to order. Mine is Virgin. His is not. And then he proceeds. I still don't know the rules because he has a face and demeanor that calls for questions and he also is a talker. The faster he talks, the more the darts fly.

What did you think about Obama getting back in?I ask.

Still trying to figure out if the  Parties matched the money they spent in the collection plate in church or feeding the hungry or looking after the sick or sheltering the homeless? he replied

Oh , are you religious? I ask.

People like to think so.  But I spend too much time with the people. I haven't got a job. You will never find me in a church  or a temple. I sleep on the street with the homeless. I eat in soup kitchens. I stand with the kettles and sing with the Sally Ann, No time to get saved.

The night flies by and finally the dart guy and I part ways 

As I trudge home , my head is whirling and I remember that I saw on WonderCafe about having a beer with Jesus. I would never be that lucky. The type of guy I get to ask questions with is the guy playing darts, He seemed like a bit of a loser but had a nice way about him. He seemed to have lots of answers to my questions. He seems to spend lots of time with the walking wounded

Maybe I should have asked him what he thought Jesus wrote in the dirt.

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Neva, neva ignore the wee people, they can be the spark setting off le ga ci in a clear hed ... crystal GaeL?

Ever seen a silicious  soewer ... appears like nothing if pure ...

What can you learn from purity, as a transparant god? Some dirt included ... you can see ... bit of mineral in agate and there's an emerauld ...

Back to Religion and Faith topics
cafe