crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Mars Colony

Earth is planning a colony on Mars. The people chosen will not come back. Someone who is being vetted in Saskatoon is married with a young son. One married couple, the man is being vetted but the wife didn't make it.

These people will start a new colony with a new order. Will there be religion, do you think?

The people chosen are suppose to be healthy, physically fit, the best we on earth can offer?

But in my opinion , at the beginning of earth's time, people were people. And as perfect as the people going to Mars, they are just people. There will be wars, there will be diseases etc.

My question is" would you go" and what are your thoughts on this? Families breaking apart. I find it beyond abhorrent.

Share this

Comments

chansen's picture

chansen

chemgal wrote:

lol Anyone dated crazygal before?

This her?

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

I wish that I was that young, I don't know about SomeGal and I don't think I made a remark about divorce so I think It really was Chemgal

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

The human condition of chaos continues ... without even a conventional conceptualization ... being that humans don't go there ... we're not supposed to know!

The religious rule about love and passion ... which is autonomous ... no roué's intended!

Such things confuse the fixated about god and love without satyrical thought ... why the bible say love eM ... even the most alien devils ... sometime people don't recover from it ... like worship of the metaphorical Mars ... witch's War?

Some interpretors of the book of Love believe it is superficial when it really is a subverse've object ... sometimes left hanging there ... as a party sipient mode close to insipient intelligence that is definitely out there ... like a chairman labelled stackhouse ... where such stuff piles up! Some people say Runes of this sort make no sense ... but only anonomously like a' diction ... that goes on and on ...

Alex's picture

Alex

Does crazygal have a brother?

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Yes, he is a roofer

GeoFee's picture

GeoFee

From "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury:
"The Men of Earth came to Mars. They came because they were afraid or unafraid, because they were happy or unhappy, because they felt like Pilgrims or did not feel like Pilgrims. There was a reason for each man. They were leaving bad wives or bad towns; they were coming to find something or leave something or get something, to dig up something or bury something or leave something alone. They were coming with small dreams or large dreams or none at all...it was not unusual that the first men were few. The numbers grew steadily in proportion to the census of Earth Men already on Mars. There was comfort in numbers. But the first Lonely Ones had to stand by themselves..."

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

thanks Geo

SG's picture

SG

I don't know... Today? If I can take my wife and pets I might...

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Will they miss us when we are gone?

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

GeoFee wrote:
From "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury: . "The Men of Earth came to Mars. They came because they were afraid or unafraid, because they were happy or unhappy, because they felt like Pilgrims or did not feel like Pilgrims. There was a reason for each man. They were leaving bad wives or bad towns; they were coming to find something or leave something or get something, to dig up something or bury something or leave something alone. They were coming with small dreams or large dreams or none at all...it was not unusual that the first men were few. The numbers grew steadily in proportion to the census of Earth Men already on Mars. There was comfort in numbers. But the first Lonely Ones had to stand by themselves..."

Thanks for that, George.

That is one book that has sat on my bookshelf forever. I think the copy that I have now dates to high school, so is c. 30 years old. One of the finest moments in speculative fiction and possibly in modern fiction period.

Mendalla

Azdgari's picture

Azdgari

Since my mistake with chemgal has been cleared up...crazyheart, do you have a response to the post I'd intended to address to you?

SG's picture

SG

As long as I have my Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator...

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

There is some speculation (and it is highly speculative at this point) that life could have originated first on Mars and arrived here on meteors cast out into space by asteroid impacts on that planet. Now, the only way to prove this is to find fossil evidence for life on Mars that predates the earliest known life here and that is similar to early fossil microbes found here. IOW, to find a needle in a haystack that may not even exist. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

However, it raises an interesting thought. If it is true, are we really colonizing Mars or are we just colonists from Mars going home?

Mendalla

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Azdgari, If you  are addressing the question about divorce, I agree with you ( I think) there are some people who shouldn't get married and divorce is a good thing.

Azdgari's picture

Azdgari

Okay...good then, I suppose.  And presumably you'd agree that the people involved know more about whether or not it's a good thing than we do, right?  So how do you get off calling it "beyond abhorrent" in this case?

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

"So how do you get off calling it "beyond abhorrent" in this case?"

Is "beyond" outside of being ... thus becoming distasteful to those that hate aliens?

This is so the battle between the knowing and the unknowing can go on indeterminately ... and thus the myth will go on! What is myth? I don't know ... not allowed to by the pious that say that's all there is. Is say there is no fixation, or institution for all eventually will change even if it isn't in your present desires.

I give credit to GEO who raised the pairing of many conflicting things that go on in the divine sol' ... a mono nature unknown in reality! This leads to an out of here existense and thinking as not accpetable in church as it is too close to wisdom ... and we couldn't have that ... it's just too far out! Especially under the religious base of heiros gamma ... the flowing of ignorance or how stupid people can get in a tumble in the grass ... that's crass compared to having your temple all scro'dupe ... and the stones all laid out for sacrifice of what's unknown within eM!

You must admit that a lot of this is lost in translation over the ages as thoughts really don't parallel the words explicitly! The thought appears subtle ... almost satyr-like ... creeping Shadow? Gutte-goths ... that we don't understand in iconic form ... giving rise to iconoclasts ... destroyers of word ... making room for a'moor ... a poorly understood conglomeration of letters! Things that you should know came from prior Runes---Rummi (as he pursued jinns)?

waterfall's picture

waterfall

What if someone decided to send some of the people in prisons to Mars?

chansen's picture

chansen

They'd start saying "G'day mate!" and build a strangely attractive opera house.

waterfall's picture

waterfall

I was thinking the same thing. Lol!

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

waterfall wrote:

Then in 200 years Mars will be renamed Australia cheeky?

Kidding aside, this is not a hypothetical. S-F has certainly broached this question (don't have a specific cite handy). The ethics of it would be dicey at best, depending on the state of Mars colonization at the time. However, I could see the hardcore law and order types going for it. Lets them get rid of the "undesirables" without resorting to killing them (which looks bad nowadays) and say that they are making serve a useful purpose (terraforming Mars or whatever they are being put to work on). I would not support it as a forced option but offering it as a voluntary alternative to prison? Maybe.

Mendalla

PS. I see chansen and I are on the same page on this one, at least the first part.

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Should the ethics be the same for everyone?

ninjafaery's picture

ninjafaery

waterfall wrote:
Should the ethics be the same for everyone?

Short answer  - yes.

The reason? It's not all  about the dangerous, heinous offenders. It's about society not embracing retributive justice and sinking to that level. So maybe not Mars.

Have to admit, it's tempting to think that such profound isolation would be a solution, especially if there were no staff there. They'd be forced to survive together or die. 

But an evolved and sane society doesn't need to watch witches burn. 

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

After the burning inquistition a movie would be made subtle-like about the wee black guise known as GEO-Je ... ferme bottom land mire ... he'll haunt the white and pasty faced inhabitants of the land or war ... Mars?

Perhaps we did come from there when you consider our warring nature our predisposition to carbon dioxide and lack of understanding of allegory and satyr's even though the bible states that we should embrace the alien ... even word you don't understand as god ... isn't that iconic or just strange scions?

Then who reads into scat, ontological things and ess Cato logy in a superficial realm? NOSH-ite no plunge ... no plumber ass at that!

Why be pious in a crazy world? Did you ever look about at it folks ... and you remain unconsciously attached ... even tho' you deny it! Most take a fore or against mode and thus we lack medium ... and this state is unabalanced ... a psycho term ... one must pass thro' ID to learn ... why life is a pain.

Yet there's no rationale why you can't have some humour while passing your time here ... take a poke at the beast see if you can awaken it! It is quite lazy in the largerform ... doesn't work well ... especially the upper skin that is really pale like Casa Blanca or Vanilla'S Ka ... made originally from black beings/beans? The essence of what sprouts from ID ... Jack's Tallus?

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Mendalla wrote:

waterfall wrote:

Then in 200 years Mars will be renamed Australia cheeky?

Kidding aside, this is not a hypothetical. S-F has certainly broached this question (don't have a specific cite handy). The ethics of it would be dicey at best, depending on the state of Mars colonization at the time. However, I could see the hardcore law and order types going for it. Lets them get rid of the "undesirables" without resorting to killing them (which looks bad nowadays) and say that they are making serve a useful purpose (terraforming Mars or whatever they are being put to work on). I would not support it as a forced option but offering it as a voluntary alternative to prison? Maybe.

Mendalla

PS. I see chansen and I are on the same page on this one, at least the first part.

A prison not on earth?  I just watched some of the 1st season of the twilight zone episodes that had explored that.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Nooo! Think of the ethics of that. Really bad idea. What about wrongful convictions? Poor person finds themselves on friggin Mars. Hard to get a good lawyer out there. Seems beyond cruel and unusual to me. But Sydney turned out nice. ;)

When I think about Human Rights I think a person has a right to at least stay on planet earth and a right to rehabilitation if at all possible (I'm not big into torture as punishment). I find that idea a little bit sick. It's one thing to joke about it...but these ideas have a way off 'taking off', pardon the pun. Rabidly vendictive people might take to the idea. And the human rights abuses carried out here will happen...all the way out on Mars. Will the wrongful convictions be disproportionally represented by a certain race or class, just like here? But seriously...there are big ethical questions about shipping criminals off to another planet that makes Guantanamo sound like a cakewalk.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

As I understand it, these people will make their own rules and regulations. It may look nothing like Earth as we know it.

Arminius's picture

Arminius

What? Mars, a penal colony? All the black sheep of planet Earth will be shipped off to Mars?

In this case, I'll change my mind and go with them.smiley

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Which is another scarey thought...a coworker and I discussed this. It will be a private enterprise, so how transparent will what they're up to, be? An entire alien population controlled by a corporation...oh goodie.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Brave New World

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Kimmio wrote:
Which is another scarey thought...a coworker and I discussed this. It will be a private enterprise, so how transparent will what they're up to, be? An entire alien population controlled by a corporation...oh goodie.

S-F is full of these. Even Earth-based s-f has often postulated a world controlled by corporations and plutocrats (rulers based on wealth).

It depends on how they organize it, though. I mean a condo is built by a corporation but some give the resident's committee a fair bit of power so I would suggest that it is not automatically undemocratic. OTOH, it could turn into a "company town" such as we've seen in the mining industry here, where the company controls everything right down to what you can buy in the stores, and that leads in a bad direction to say the least.

Mendalla

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Kimmio wrote:
Nooo! Think of the ethics of that. Really bad idea. What about wrongful convictions? Poor person finds themselves on friggin Mars. Hard to get a good lawyer out there. Seems beyond cruel and unusual to me. But Sydney turned out nice. ;)

When I think about Human Rights I think a person has a right to at least stay on planet earth and a right to rehabilitation if at all possible (I'm not big into torture as punishment). I find that idea a little bit sick. It's one thing to joke about it...but these ideas have a way off 'taking off', pardon the pun. Rabidly vendictive people might take to the idea. And the human rights abuses carried out here will happen...all the way out on Mars. Will the wrongful convictions be disproportionally represented by a certain race or class, just like here? But seriously...there are big ethical questions about shipping criminals off to another planet that makes Guantanamo sound like a cakewalk.

The ethical question of how we should treat criminals whether they are here on earth or on Mars seems like it would have more thought behind sending them to Mars as opposed to sending someone to prison here. We seem to be appalled and disgusted by sending "lifers" to mars but letting someone remain in isolation (Bernardo for example)......not so much. I wonder why that is?

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Are those who go "the elect". Would we all be running for the door of the spaceship if the world was headed for extinction? Who should or would be saved?

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi waterfall,

waterfall wrote:

Are those who go "the elect".

I don't know if they would qualify as "the elect."  Whether we think sending folk to Mars is good or ill influences whom we would elect for the journey.  Is Mars the lifeboat for earth?  Then we send whomever we are deluded into thinking is our best hope.  Is Earth the lifeboat for humanity?  Then we send whomever we are deluded into thinking is our biggest problem to Mars.

waterfall wrote:

Would we all be running for the door of the spaceship if the world was headed for extinction?

All rats seek to flee sinking ships.

waterfall wrote:

Who should or would be saved?

Probably those who hold  doors open for others in the mad rush to escape.

Grace and peace to you.

John

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Revjohn I LOVE that last answer!

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Well, those who present a clear danger to the public should not be allowed in public. Those who have a high probability of offending again in particular. That doesn't mean it's okay to torture criminals or not treat them humanely (even if they were inhumane). Eye for an eye makes the whole world blind- a wise man once said. I think sending people, whoever they are, to Mars has huge ethical questions worthy of public debate before it happens. It shouldn't be just decided by those who can afford the financing to make it happen. These are questions I think all 'earthlings' should have some say in.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Didn't Justin Bieber say he was going to buy a ticket to Mars. Now Come On!!!!!!!!!!

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Yes, Beiber is dangerous to the public- to their ears anyway. Listening causes instant deafness. ;) well, if he wants to go... Arts and culture on Mars isn't looking good.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I joke... But I really don't think it's a good idea to colonize Mars.

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

But the inhumane side of the god-like manifestation on earth has been turning to Mars as an ideal solution for years ... why we have allegory as satyr ... a devilsh translation in which war=Mar sup eiL ... the fight to get into the sac ... all started by a creature from down-under ... is that aÐ'm ism as conviction or a thought that has subtly taken off? Appears to be an underlying factor as mortal manifestations of God don't like to think ...

Just look about at the destruction pure emotions reap ... it leaves one to think something is incomplete ... defined as abstract in Thesaurus. Do you ever feel you've something missing ... that's the human fault! The crack in existence ... that comes with emullation ... being quite as a lamb that'll load up your cavant spaces and you're off ... a metaphysical state with metaphors ... so people will believe your not thinking or otherwise out-of ID ... it is simply a farce! When in Rome do as Romatics do ... but you could embrace a book as well as scro'up your thoughts.

Albeit change is good as arrest ... so do ... some traditionalize and remain the same ... causes some emanations that are likened to the degradation of metals into ra-Don ... an essence where a glowing malleable substance used to be ... Re Dios Activation (dios can have variable translations). Could eat up your flesh if you get too close to wit ...

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

"We are the miracle of force and matter making itself over into imagination and will. Incredible. The Life Force experimenting with forms. You for one. Me for another. The Universe has shouted itself alive. We are one of the shouts."

-Ray Bradbury

"There they go, off to Mars, just for the ride, thinking that they will find a planet like a seer's crystal, in which to read a miraculous future. What they'll find, instead, is the somewhat shopworn image of themselves. Mars is a mirror, not a crystal."

--Ray Bradbury

Oh glorious universe, All That Is, endlessly creative, forever changing, experimenting, novelty upon novelty, proffering problems & puzzles & treasures & keys hidden and in plain sight for somebunall of your experiments to find, uncover, discover and...explore your vast, complex, sensuality...

-- Me

Can't wait to hear aboot the first climber up Olympus Mons...the first to travel the length of Valles Marineris...the first to discover the Truth of the Face on Mars and have a good laugh...the various bottled Mars waters that will arise and the many Mars spas...the Holy Sites that will eventually spring up, form, unbidden...

Life in all of its forms cannot be stopped...foreverfecund...

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

And still the mortal authorities cannot believe in nothing (something to make something of) and everything (as a very large lard/lord, extremely stretched by mortal demands) which leaves Ur/eM near nothing and thus related to nothing by sheer stretch of the abstraction which is incomplete until the two are well blended into mediums ... only seen from outside the middle section often considered mean!

Whats that? Just a pile a words that no one understands under the rule that thought, knowledge, wisdom and understanding are only for gods. Why we escape the confining force in the end like a stinking auld ph'art in the PEW ... made from a tree by a carpenter noless! Creates fine legends out of nothing ... a complex construct, with imaginary roots connected to the function of the negative 1 that is related to the missing or imaginary eye, or the "i" within ... a very vague and feint scion!

---autonomously anonymous (as I am humbled to be as subtle; an underlying factor)

Back to Religion and Faith topics