seeler's picture

seeler

What features would you like to see on the new WC2?

First off I am thankful for the job the 'committee of three' are doing. 

But perhaps they are open to some suggestions of things people would like to have retained or changed.

Share this

Comments

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Stardust, I cannot move a post. What we have asked is for folks to stay on topic in certain  threads. Having said that the ability to move a threadt to a different forum is something some forums do

stardust's picture

stardust

No charge crazyheart....

May your heart live and love for a long long time....heartyes.

The santa I posted is cute too but he's got a big black crack. He forgot to wipe himself?

stardust's picture

stardust

O.K. Pinga.....thanks. 

chansen's picture

chansen

And to clarify, no one from the WC2 admin team has any additional rights here at WC1.

Mods and admins will have the ability to move posts and threads in the new forum.

Hilary's picture

Hilary

stardust wrote:

I would like to see the names of the active posters on a given day ( who is on the WC2 ?)  at the bottom of the website or the number of posters on a given day ( and guests) like I see on some forums. Some of the forums  have all of  the members names listed at the bottom but that's not necessary.

I am okay with this and a FB-style chat feature as long as there is a way for me to 'hide' from them.  I usually don't want to be seen by name when I'm online.  Will there be a way to deactivate it?  And if so, then what would be the point?

seeler's picture

seeler

Hilary wrote:

stardust wrote:

I would like to see the names of the active posters on a given day ( who is on the WC2 ?)  at the bottom of the website or the number of posters on a given day ( and guests) like I see on some forums. Some of the forums  have all of  the members names listed at the bottom but that's not necessary.

I am okay with this and a FB-style chat feature as long as there is a way for me to 'hide' from them.  I usually don't want to be seen by name when I'm online.  Will there be a way to deactivate it?  And if so, then what would be the point?

I'm presuming it would be the username, not the real life name.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Correct, what it is useful for is quick exchanges,ie "let's pop into chat"

waterfall's picture

waterfall

I would like to see personal attacks towards any poster prohibited.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

waterfall wrote:

That's more a board rules issue than a feature issue but, yes, it will be in there. We are taking current board rules and then comparing to rules from other sites to make sure we cover all bases. You will have a chance to review them before go live or at least that is the plan.

Mendalla

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Hilary wrote:

I think my other boards all have the ability to "stealth", that is be logged in and reading but not show up in the current users' list. One even lets you be visible to your friends but not to others. This is largely for the benefit of people who do not want to chat or want to control when they chat and who can approach them to chat. It means that people cannot initiate chat with them, but they can still still initiate chat. We will see if the software for WC2 has this, but I'll go out on a limb and say it probably does.

Mendalla

chansen's picture

chansen

waterfall wrote:

That's a fine line. There are many religious positions which are thinly-disguised personal attacks. Do we want those prohibited? I don't. I want the ugly side of religion to remain on display for as long as it exists and is worth opposing.

At what point is calling out hateful religious positions "personal attacks"? I've been told on here that attacking a person's faith is a personal attack because it is part of who they are.

But, I say faith is a choice, way more so than sexual orientation or skin colour.

So, if we're going to ban personal attacks, then I want to see it specifically stated that attacking religious positions or beliefs is allowed.

Sorry for going a little off topic. Maybe this deserves it's own thread.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

chansen wrote:

So, if we're going to ban personal attacks, then I want to see it specifically stated that attacking religious positions or beliefs is allowed.

Sorry for going a little off topic. Maybe this deserves it's own thread.

I hope there will be more discussion of this issue when we open the mod rules for discussion but let's leave it for that thread.

Mendalla

MistsOfSpring's picture

MistsOfSpring

I'd like the option to create polls.

chansen's picture

chansen

Okay, a lot off topic. Sorry!

chansen's picture

chansen

MistsOfSpring wrote:

I'd like the option to create polls.

It's in there.

chansen's picture

chansen

Suffice to say, if you've used a modern forum, what you've seen is possible, if not part of the installed forum software already.

We looked at a few forum options. Most "top" forums used to use vBulletin. That's been the gold standard. Then they were sold to a larger company, Internet Brands. Then their software got worse. Version 3 was great. Then the sale. Then the lead developer left, as did some other key people. Then version 4 was released, and boards who upgraded immediately regretted it. Version 5 hasn't been much better.

So, yes, it used to be the best, and it is still the most powerful forum software, with the largest community of developers. But it has known issues, and we don't care to have the hassle.

So, we're going with the software created by the lead developer and his new team after they left, Xenforo. It does not have all the possible add-ons that vBulletin has, but it is fast and light, so it shouldn't require the same hosting resources or costs. It is two years old, so old enough to get the bugs out, but new enough to be based on modern architecture. It has SEO tools built-in, so Google and other search engines will rank our site higher for related searches.

And, it's cheaper than vBulletin.

If you want to geek out, go look at it and tell us what you think.

Whatever bells and whistles you're used to in other forums, are possibilities here unless it's obviously very custom to that site, like the church finder on this site. It more comes down to what we want to enable or install.

Hilary's picture

Hilary

Mendalla wrote:

Hilary wrote:

I think my other boards all have the ability to "stealth", that is be logged in and reading but not show up in the current users' list. One even lets you be visible to your friends but not to others. This is largely for the benefit of people who do not want to chat or want to control when they chat and who can approach them to chat. It means that people cannot initiate chat with them, but they can still still initiate chat. We will see if the software for WC2 has this, but I'll go out on a limb and say it probably does.

Mendalla

EXACTLY what I mean.  Thank you!

Hilary's picture

Hilary

seeler wrote:

Hilary wrote:

I'm presuming it would be the username, not the real life name.

I did mean username; sorry.  But for me - one and the same! wink

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

I would like a Church Finder feature, and a Church Mini Site feature, both of which not limited to just United Churches.

chansen's picture

chansen

Dcn. Jae wrote:
I would like a Church Finder feature, and a Church Mini Site feature, both of which not limited to just United Churches.

Nope.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Nope.

You could sticky a thread with a link to google :)

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

The church finder and the groups were not important to me. I went there in 7 years very few times.

chansen's picture

chansen

chemgal wrote:

chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Nope.

Yep, that's a better idea than mine.

Jae? Nope.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

chansen wrote:

chemgal wrote:

chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Nope.

Yep, that's a better idea than mine.

Jae? Nope.

Because...?

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

A church finder would almost have to be a separate site with some provision for church or denominational officials to update their database entries. As chemgal says, Google is your friend. I have never used the church finder on WC. Just used Google and local word of mouth.

Perhaps a stickied post with links to denominational websites (CUC, UCCan, whatever the Fellowship Baptist organization is called, etc.), all of which tend to have a church finder.

Mendalla

chansen's picture

chansen

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Because...?

Sorry, thought that was obvious. That's beyond my abilities, it would be expensive to hire someone to do it, it's hardly used here, and, most importantly, Google works really well.

stardust's picture

stardust

chansen

Re your  upthread post its O.K. to move posts that derail a topic  and move  threads.

My computer is in the living room, open dining room kitchen concept,   where I am   doing housework, cooking, watching TV  etc. and saunter over to the puter now and again. If I was reading a certain post or thread on WC  with intentions to respond or reply to it later  and I come back to find its no longer there ( its been moved)   chances are I won't bother to hunt it down, it won't matter.

I  mean moving posts or articles  around may be bad for new people  business, its no problem for me personally. I don't take the WC so seriously. Generally I probably  only  read half or less  of what's contained on the WC forums  so its O.K. if I miss out.  My bad....I get mixed-up sometimes because I haven't read whole threads or prior same  related topics...:(

chansen's picture

chansen

stardust wrote:

chansen

Re your  upthread post its O.K. to move posts that derail a topic  and move  threads.

My computer is in the living room, open dining room kitchen concept,   where I am   doing housework, cooking, watching TV  etc. and saunter over to the puter now and again. If I was reading a certain post or thread on WC  with intentions to respond or reply to it later  and I come back to find its no longer there ( its been moved)   chances are I won't bother to hunt it down, it won't matter.

I  mean moving posts or articles  around may be bad for new people  business, its no problem for me personally. I don't take the WC so seriously. Generally I probably  only  read half or less  of what's contained on the WC forums  so its O.K. if I miss out.  My bad....I get mixed-up sometimes because I haven't read whole threads or prior same  related topics...:(

I'm just saying it's possible. What mods do is more up to the mod team than me. Sometimes, for some threads, I think moving posts will be warranted. If you know me at all, I'm in favour of limited moderation, and I've always said that threads take on a life of their own.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Mendalla wrote:

A church finder would almost have to be a separate site with some provision for church or denominational officials to update their database entries. As chemgal says, Google is your friend. I have never used the church finder on WC. Just used Google and local word of mouth.

Perhaps a stickied post with links to denominational websites (CUC, UCCan, whatever the Fellowship Baptist organization is called, etc.), all of which tend to have a church finder.

Mendalla

Excellent idea.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Because...?

Sorry, thought that was obvious. That's beyond my abilities, it would be expensive to hire someone to do it, it's hardly used here, and, most importantly, Google works really well.

Fair enough. I'm surprised, though, that you feel that it's outside your capabilities, since a search feature can easily be run using basic JavaScript.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Moving of threads will, or should ideally, be rare. It should really only happen if a thread is posted in an inappropriate forum or if a questionable thread or post is being taken to a mod forum for review. For instance, if someone posts a review of "The Hangover 4" in Religion & Faith, a mod would move it to Popular Culture. Deletion of a post or thread should be even rarer, and would primarily be used for removing spam or illegal content.

Mendalla

Pinga's picture

Pinga

lol, kinda like the admins talking about moderation in this thread?surprise

chansen's picture

chansen

Shut up.

chansen's picture

chansen

Dcn. Jae wrote:
chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Because...?

Fair enough. I'm surprised, though, that you feel that it's outside your capabilities, since a search feature can easily be run using basic JavaScript.

I know very little about coding. I can follow the yellow brick road and set up a forum. I haven't coded anything in 12 years.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Dcn. Jae wrote:
chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Because...?

But wouldn't be just a search feature. You need something to search against, generally a database. That's where the work would be.

Mendalla

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Mendalla wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:
chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Because...?

But wouldn't be just a search feature. You need something to search against, generally a database. That's where the work would be.

Mendalla

If we're going to have personal profile pages somewhat like here can I just post a link on mine to the Fellowship? I'd be satisfied with that.

stardust's picture

stardust

Dcn. Jae

I'm not sure why you feel the need to find a church website on the new WC2. Don't be shy....ask me...I'll google it for you...wink. WC2 will not be a church website. I've never used the church search. I presume it was a method for the UC to promote its churches.

stardust's picture

stardust

Chansen and Mendalla

I'm  acknowledging your replies re moving threads or posts. Thanks.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

chansen wrote:

Shut up.

Hahahahaha...what, you didn't see the humour in my post?

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Dcn. Jae wrote:
If we're going to have personal profile pages somewhat like here can I just post a link on mine to the Fellowship? I'd be satisfied with that.

Sure. I can't think that anyone would stop you. I might do the same.

Mendalla

chansen's picture

chansen

Pinga wrote:

chansen wrote:

Shut up.

Hahahahaha...what, you didn't see the humour in my post?

You own a Surface. Your argument is invalid.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Can anyone truly own a Surface? A chunk of my software is leased. It is so intuitive that it knows what I want to post even when I don't

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

stardust wrote:

Dcn. Jae

I'm not sure why you feel the need to find a church website on the new WC2. Don't be shy....ask me...I'll google it for you...wink. WC2 will not be a church website. I've never used the church search. I presume it was a method for the UC to promote its churches.

Thanks stardust. I'm more than happy with my own church though. I'd like to invite others to check us out is all. If some evangelical Christian in western Toronto is seeking a church, we're certainly there for them.

Alex's picture

Alex

How about a Matchmaker feature. Nothing complex, just one that will match me with a Prince or a member of the Canadian bobsled team (actually I am not fussy and would accept an American bobsledder ),,meanwhile it could match up a.roofer with others.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

WonderDating.com. There's our revenue stream, folks. cool

Mendalla

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Mendalla wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Sure. I can't think that anyone would stop you. I might do the same.

Mendalla

You're going to link to the Fellowship? yescool laugh

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Dcn. Jae wrote:

You're going to link to the Fellowship? yescool laugh

I meant to my Fellowship, of course.wink

Though maybe we could exchange links. I'll link to yours and you link to mine cool

Mendalla

GeoFee's picture

GeoFee

Nice follow the ideas emerging, the responses and the general good humour on all sides.

George

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Alex wrote:
How about a Matchmaker feature. Nothing complex, just one that will match me with a Prince or a member of the Canadian bobsled team (actually I am not fussy and would accept an American bobsledder ),,meanwhile it could match up a.roofer with others.

i tried, Alex- I tried

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Mendalla wrote:

Kimmio wrote:
I would like to be able to send my photos in PMs and paste them into posts without using Flickr etc.

The issue there is storage. If we do that, we need to be able to store all those photos. By having you store them in Flickr, Picasa, etc. and then link, we are able to offload that storage on to the provider rather than tying up our storage with it. IOW, it is technically possible but it is not necessarily the ideal approach when you're running a small, low-budget forum. Again, possibly a phase 2 or later enhancement rather than a day 1 feature.

Mendalla

Just wondering- is it possible for each of us to have a 'photo album' with a maximum number of photo space? Eg.10- 20 photos each, and we can delete/ change them to update them- so that they don't take up too much memory?

Being able to upload a few straight onto WC from my phone or computer would be so much easier. I could be out walking in the park, snap a photo of spring flowers and post it right away. I thought of it the other day but couldn't figure out how to make it happen without a lot of tedium.

Back to Social topics