RAN's picture

RAN

2010-02-21 lectionary (Lent 1)

These are the lectionary readings (with links) for 21st February. It's the first Sunday in Lent (after pancakes on Tuesday and ashes on Wednesday ).

Deuteronomy 26:1-11  •  Psalm 91:1-2, 9-16  •  Romans 10:8b-13  •  Luke 4:1-13

My NRSV translation uses these headings for the passages:

• First fruits and tithes
  • Assurance of God's protection
  • Salvation is for all (vv. 5-21)
  • The temptation of Jesus

Share this

Comments

seeler's picture

seeler

I love this reading from Deuteronomy, especially the recital of their history, that identifies where they have been and who they are now.  "A wandering Aramean was my ancestor; he went down into Egypt . . .  The Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand . . . and he gave us the land flowing with milk and honey."  But then I love history.  By helping us to know and understand the past, it helps us to know who we are. 

This passage also tells of the importance of God in their lives.   They believe that it was God who rescued them from Egypt and brought them to this land.  And so they give thanks.

Does anyone know what happened to the first fruits when they were brought to the alter and given to the priest.  Verse 11 indicates that there was a big celebration.  Perhaps this was a way of sharing the first fruits of the harvest with everybody including those who had no harvest (from the priests down to the widows and orphans). 

Jim Kenney's picture

Jim Kenney

A strange matching of readings.  I suspect that a community that had barely survived for 40 years of looking for a new home would have developed the practice of a shared community meal using the offerings presented in worship.  The church I serve is a First Nations congregation and one of the customs is providing three feasts a year (Easter, Thanksgiving, and the last Sunday before Christmas) after the Sunday service and open to whoever wishes to come.  Last Easter we had close to 4 times the regular attendance present for the feast.  The food is provided by members of the church individuallywith some items being provided out of the church funds.

Maybe matching these to the temptation story points to seeing Jesus offering himself to God.

The temptation stories are both extremely familiar and perplexing at the same time.  While I have read several different explanations of their meaning, I suspect there is a cultural wall between us and the original readers that interferes with us having the same experience of these stories.

Jim Kenney's picture

Jim Kenney

Here's my children's story for tomorrow:

Children’s Time: Sarah and Maria were best friends and did everything together.  One terrible night Maria’s house caught fire and burned to the ground.  Sarah was really sad when she heard about what happened.  Maria told her they had lost everything: furniture, clothes, toys, towels, food.  Fortunately, no one was hurt. Sarah gave her a big hug, and said she wished she could help.  Then she had an idea: she would raise money to help Maria’s family get new furniture, clothes, toys, and the other stuff they needed.
Sarah’s grandmother made beautiful beaded belts, so she asked her grandmother if she would make a belt to raise money for Maria’s family.  In this way, she asked all the people she knew to donate things to sell in a big raffle.  She then heard other people were organizing a dance and supper to raise money as well.  She went to these people to get permission to do the raffle at the dance.  Finally, she made posters about the dance and the raffle and put them up at the post office, the stores, the service station, the band hall, the schools, and the health unit.  This was hard work, and there were many times when Sarah felt like quitting and doing something else.  Then she would think about her friend, Maria, and kept going.
When people asked her why she worked so hard, she told them this. She learned in church that God made us able to do wonderful things, and that Jesus helped us when we were doing good things.  Here was a chance for her to show other people just how wonderful we can be when we love people, and how much God loves all of us. They asked if she had been tempted to quit, and she said, “Yes,” but that was okay because even Jesus was tempted to quit, but he didn’t And she wouldn’t quit either…..
Back to Church Life topics