AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

2012 WonderCafe Lenten Devotional: "I Am Listening"

We are planning a WonderCafe Lenten devotional book study, starting on Ash Wednesday, Feb. 22. This will be similar to last year's Lenten book study, with daily reflections and discussion questions.

This year we will be using the new Lenten devotional from United Church Publishing House, "I Am Listening." We have a couple of review copies available to volunteers who can commit to posting their thoughts on the reflections on a regular basis through Lent. If you are interested, please let us know. "I Am Listening" is also avaiable from UCRDstore.ca as an e-book or in print.

http://www.ucrdstore.ca/i-am-listening-daily-devotions-for-lent.html

We hope you will join us!

Share this

Comments

AaronMcGallegos

Just a bump for this! We still have a couple of review copies left if anybody else would like to sign up to be a regular participant in this Lenten devotional study here on WonderCafe. Please let me know asap!

Thanks,

Aaron

musicsooths's picture

musicsooths

Hi Aaron  I would be interested it would be a first for me and would probably do me good

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Ordered my from URCD - looking forward to this lenten devotional.

RichardBott's picture

RichardBott

I downloaded a copy to my kobo app, last night. Looking forward to joining in the discussion.

AaronMcGallegos

Thanks folks. I'm looking forward to it too! Please invite your friends to join us!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I am looking forward to it as well, Aaron.  

Thinking might allow me to do Lenten practices when on the road.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Would be great if there were mini quotes that we were posted with image, on the uc-can site.  we could then share it out.  

Pinga's picture

Pinga

ps...sent an email to ucrd site.  There ordering site seems to be having an issue with the certs. https is not up.....(not a good time to be down, if it is more than just me, as a fair bit of ordering occurs, i would think, during the weeks leading up to lent)

BetteTheRed's picture

BetteTheRed

Aaron, I'd love to be one of your semi-committed contributors, if there's a review copy still available. I'd like a Lenten discipline this year that doesn't involve giving up chocolate. ;-)

AaronMcGallegos

Hi Pinga, thanks for letting us know about this. I checked and the web admins for that site were aware of the problem and working on it. Apparently, it's only effecting Chrome and is related to the images on the page, not the contact or financial information. It should be fully operational soon.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Thanks Aaron.

Also received an email from the site admin that it was corrected.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Hi Aaron,

It's probably an interesting book but I'd better not commit because I wasn't able to follow through the last time (my apologies for that....I had trouble committing to reading the last one--read some of it-- and for various reasons, caught up with other concerns, procrastination was a big factor-- had little to bring to the book discussion).  I look forward to reading the comments though.

I think I will need to give up procrastination for lent this year. ;)

Ellen1's picture

Ellen1

I would like to be a contributing member if you have a copy of the book available.\\

Beloved's picture

Beloved

I received my book in the mail today and am looking forward to starting it.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

You know what would be neat. After x downloads, that the resource was free....or...if we had a way to use this to share electronically with our communities.

I understand cost recovery. I also sense that this item is a wonderful way to be evangelical, with even short excerpts from it...each day through Lent.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Pinga wrote:

You know what would be neat. After x downloads, that the resource was free....or...if we had a way to use this to share electronically with our communities.

I understand cost recovery. I also sense that this item is a wonderful way to be evangelical, with even short excerpts from it...each day through Lent.

A ransom-ware model, perhaps. It is published for free after a certain amount of money (the "ransom") is raised through pre-orders to pay the costs of production, pay the writers, and so on. The early purchasers who pay may get some bonus. You may even get people paying more than the suggested price in order to get the free version out faster.

It's starting to be used more and more in some niche markets. I'm familiar with it from the pen-and-paper roleplayinig industry where self-publishing by established "name" authors has become more and more common but I've heard of self-publishing authors using it for regular e-books, too.

Of course, you need to decide before producing the item that this is how you're doing it so it can be written into writers' contracts and such like. Won't work with situations where writers are working for royalities, of course. You'd need to have them on pay-for-play contracts. That's why you see it mainly with self-publishing, where the writer or game design company is doing their own publishing and marketing and therefore not really looking at royalties.

Mendalla

Humanode's picture

Humanode

Looking forward to Lent more this year than previous ones. Hope for some great discussion.

AaronMcGallegos

Hi Folks,

We've started Week 1 of the Lenten discussion here in case you missed it!

http://www.wondercafe.ca/discussion/church-life/i-am-listening-lenten-discussion-week-1

Back to Church Life topics