AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

Diving Deeply: 2013 Lenten Book Discussion

Hi Folks, 

We're planning on hosting a Lenten book discussion this year, similar to those we've held during past Lenten seasons. The United Church Lenten devotional this year is Diving Deeply: Daily Devotions for Lent, edited by Betty Lynn Schwab (UCPH 2012).

Diving Deeply offers moving reflections from those in front line ministry where there is little time for pretense and the realities of difficult situations reveal hard questions, hopes, fears, and unusual honesty. It is available from UCRDstore.ca in print or as an e-book: http://ow.ly/gRsGz

Each day during Lent a short synopses of the daily Lenten reflection from Diving Deeply will be posted along with discussion questions. Diving Deeply is available in print or e-book format from UCRD. Having a copy of the book will enrich your experience of the Lenten study, but you are welcome to participate without a copy as well. We invite you to join us! 

We have several review copies of Diving Deeply and we're looking for commentators who will commit to posting their thoughts on the devotions 3 or 4 times a week in exchange for a copy of the book (print or e-book). If you're interested, please let us know below, or send me a WonderMail.

Diving Deeply is a moving Lenten devotional, filled with challenging ministry situation that many of us will be able to relate to. It should make a great Lenten book discussion. 

Please let me know if you're interested!

Thanks,
Aaron for WonderCafe

Share this

Comments

DKS's picture

DKS

It does look interesting, Aaron. I hope to use it for a lenten study group in my congregation. And I did buy my own copy.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Aaron, I will do my best to participate, will be good for me.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Aaron, I would also be willing to participate if you are still looking for folk.

wunderer's picture

wunderer

Yes, I'll participate.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

I will follow along, Aaron.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

hi wunderer, not sure that I have met you before...if you have been around awesome, if you are new, even more awesome.

*** waves 

*** ps, hi crazy -- nice new shoes!

Ariel's picture

Ariel

I would like to join this book discussion.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

I think I'm going to give it a miss this year - I have some other books that I am going to read instead.

carolla's picture

carolla

I was at 5 Oaks today (it looks different in the snow - compared to when we had our WC picnic there a few years ago!) and purchased a copy at the bookroom ... so I hope to join in some of the discussion thread.

AaronMcGallegos

FYI - This is a great deal for e-book readers. You can download it here: http://ow.ly/hBOW8

PurpleDragon's picture

PurpleDragon

Hi,

I just bought the e-book (thanks for the 50% off price) and am interested in participating in the discussion for Lent.  I'm new to WonderCafe - so this seems like a good way to get started.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

I'm in!  I purchased it awhile ago - an e-book version.

Looking forward to it.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Welcome Purple Dragon.

PurpleDragon's picture

PurpleDragon

Hi crazyheart - thanks for the welcome.......

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

I bought the book version. I'd like to pop in as I am able.

Welcome Purple Dragon-that looks like an amazing wall hanging.

and welcome wunder I don't think we've met before.

carolla's picture

carolla

welcome purple dragon - and I too love your avatar - is the hanging a piece of your own art? 

PurpleDragon's picture

PurpleDragon

Hi Tabitha & carolla,

Thanks.  The wall hanging is an art quilt I made for my parents 50th Anniversary.

waterfall's picture

waterfall

I will follow along and participate when able.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Hi Purple Dragon - looking forward to getting to know you better as we do the lenten devotional together here at Wondercafe, and hopefully also on other topic posts too.

PurpleDragon's picture

PurpleDragon

Thanks, Beloved.  Nice to meet you.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Welcome Purple - that quilt is beautiful! I bet your parents really love it!

PurpleDragon's picture

PurpleDragon

Hi somegalfromcan,

Thanks.  Yes, they do seem to enjoy it.  I certainly enjoyed making it for them.  

AaronMcGallegos

Hi Folks,

We'll start a new thread for Ash Wednesday for the first week of the Diving Deeply Lenten discussion. Watch for it in the "Church Life" forum!

Thanks,

Aaron for WonderCafe

Pinga's picture

Pinga

thanks Aaron

AaronMcGallegos

Here is the link to Week One:

http://www.wondercafe.ca/discussion/church-life/week-one-diving-deeply-lenten-discussion

We will also be posting updates and information about the Diving Deeply Lenten discussion on this page throughout Lent:

http://www.wondercafe.ca/divingdeeply

Back to Church Life topics