somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Epiphany Explorations 2012

I spent this evening at a convenanting service at First-Metropolitan United Church in Victoria. After the service was over, I got talking to a congregation member there and mentioned that I am looking forward to next year's Epiphany event - but had not yet seen any pamphlets about it. She quickly got me one, and I have to say that the lineup is truly stellar: Marcus Borg, Richard Rohrbaugh, Elizabeth May, Martin Brokenleg, Mary Jo Leddy, Omega Bula, Gordon Light, Herbert O'Driscoll and more. You can check out their website here: http://firstmetvictoria.com/4582.

At last years' event I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of Wondercafinators, so I'm wondering if any of you will be attending this year.

Share this

Comments

jlin's picture

jlin

Yup!  Not sure how long I can stay this year,  but will be there.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Hi Somegal,

It looks interesting. I can't find anything about the cost.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Here's the information from my brochure:

Full Conference:

Early Bird = $250 (register before November 30)

Regular = $295

Full-time students and low-income: $45

5-part Borg/Rohrbaugh series only: $99

Individual Sessions: $25 each

There is some free billeting available, also some hotels offer special rates. There are also lunches available onsite for $14 on the Friday and Saturday.

I hope this helps!

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Thanks somegal! I must've been looking in the wrong spot.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

No worries - it would be great to see you over here.

Jlin - it will be good to see you again too!

weeze's picture

weeze

Hope, hope, hope to be there!

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

It would be awesome to meet you Weeze!

Perhaps another Wondergathering should occur?

weeze's picture

weeze

That would be great.  One year we just put a sign on one table at lunch, asking WC'ers to gather there--but it was early in the game and kind of flopped. Let's try again.

RichardBott's picture

RichardBott

I'll see you there! Already booked in. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you.

I'll make sure to wear a nametag with my WonderCafe alias on it! ;)

(About meeting at lunch - remember that a number of folks don't eat at the church.)

Christ's peace - rb

RevMatt's picture

RevMatt

Are meals included in the cost?

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

RevMatt - are you going to be there? Meals are not included in the cost, but you can order lunch on the 20th and 21st for an extra $14 each day. There are also a number of excellent restaurants within easy walking distance of the church ( the church is downtown). Last year jlin and I met at a really great nearby Indian restaurant.

Just watch out Richard - I might start calling you by your WC alias in real life - lol! wink Are you going to be a workshop leader again this year?

Rev. Steven Davis's picture

Rev. Steven Davis

RichardBott wrote:

I'll see you there! Already booked in. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you.

But then you'll lose your cherished anonymity. I'd never wear a name tag with my Wonder cafe alias on it!

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Rev. Steven Davis wrote:

RichardBott wrote:

But then you'll lose your cherished anonymity. I'd never wear a name tag with my Wonder cafe alias on it!

I knew it - your name's not actually Rev Steven Davis! Let me guess... it's really... Blue Shirt Guy (or Blue, for short). wink

jlin's picture

jlin

weeze

I hope hope hope you will be there too.  Are dad and her Fabulousness  coming as well?

RevMatt's picture

RevMatt

I'd like to go.  I want badly to go every year.  And this year, I will be on sabbatical, so if I am every going to do it, this would have to be the year.  I ask about food because other than the huge amount of time, the cost for me would also be very high.  If I can convince my folks to let me use my study fund for meals as well as flight, accommodation and fees, then maybe.  Mind you, that would use the budget for the entire year, but it might be worth it.

I appreciate that there is billeting offered.  That's not really for me, though.  I need time by myself, and a place I can go to during the day.  But that's my issue.  I recognize the organizers have done a good job of keeping costs down.  If it weren't at the far end of the country, I'd be all over it every year!

jlin's picture

jlin

RevMatt

Google Epiphany Explorations at First Metropolitan United Church, Victoria.

You will see a student fee - which you qualify for which is $45.00.  Also, you will find that you can be billeted which is free and which I highly suggest. 

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I might go. I asked my step dad if he'd like to go with me (he lives there) and he's interested too. He's one of my immediately family that's not adverse to church. He was most interested when he heard that Elizabeth May is speaking (which I thought he might be). I thought it would be a good opportunity for us to do something together. We'll just need to work out the cost. He's a senior with a limited income right now, but hopefully I will be working again by then.

RevMatt's picture

RevMatt

I'm not a student, jlin...

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Kimmio - keep in mind that the student fee Jlin mentioned is also a low-income fee.

RevMatt - I hope you and your church can work out a way for you to come. As far as food is concerned, there are plenty of cheap places to eat nearby. Alternatively, you could always go grocery shopping when you get here - and then pack some or all of your own meals. I have spoken to many ministers who tell me this conference "feeds" them spiritually for the entire year. I know of many ministers who come every year - including at least one from Toronto. BTW - now you know how those of us at the far end of the country feel about all the stuff that happens in the centre - lol! wink

RevMatt's picture

RevMatt

I've been to Victoria.  You are never allowed to complain about anything when you live in such a place.

The best description of my city I've seen of late was "a city in need of psychotherapy.  It manages to be both oppressive and oppressed, all at the same time."

I like it here, and all, but that rings more than a little true.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

RevMatt wrote:

I've been to Victoria.  You are never allowed to complain about anything when you live in such a place. 

LOL - tis true! Victoria is the best city I've ever found to live in - it's perfect for me.

jlin's picture

jlin

Rev. Matt:

If you are on sabbatical are you not considered in "study"?  Also, the billets are for anyone.  I applied for a billet the first year and we have become good friends.  I stay there each year.  I robbed  First Met of a perfectly good billetor, ah dear. . . what riff raff you invite into the city.

Victoria would be even nicer if it wasn't so full of  victorians.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

jlin wrote:

Victoria would be even nicer if it wasn't so full of  victorians.

Heyyy... I resemble that remark! wink

Panentheism's picture

Panentheism

The point Matt made is when you are on sabbatical you have your pay and con ed expenses.  Matt I think the total cost - housing food and tuition is a legit cost for con ed- I use to just give the church the total cost - now that can use up a significant part of ones con ed. 

I enjoyed the one time I went, but I am one those who prefer to events that are created with one or two presenters - If one likes mutti presentations  then this is a good event,   I am not a fan of many interest groups as an educational experience - I like to do depth in one area- This is why I no longer to the festival of preaching - it was good when in cities with night life.  Of course one can be energized and restored in such events and get a couple of good ideas to take home .  so while it is not for me this is an excellent event.

jlin's picture

jlin

Panentheism

Would you consider being a presenter?  If you did, what is in your craw?

Panentheism's picture

Panentheism

JLin not sure what your question is - I have been a presenter at more coffee and I would say that what people got was only a touch of what could be a more in depth if we had more time.  My point is only that depth takes time and more than an hour and half - but that can be rewarding for some and begin a desire to go deeper.  My simple point is it is what it is and it works for some - and it is a good event.  All I was saying is when I go to events and have to make a choice I prefer events that are not a series of workshops.... just a preference about education.

jlin's picture

jlin

Mr. Pan

oops, I was not at all clear.  What I meant was that Epiphany Explorations is just an overview and a sort of meditation on what is going on in various facets of the UCC to date, it is really great to be involved in the overview and that there are always opportunities to follow stuff up after the conference. 

Then, I was attempting to ask if you would like do a presentation at the conference and that it would be an honor if you did.  I'd take your workshop.  Also, I would like to do a workshop led by SG.

Panentheism's picture

Panentheism

Jlin - your description of the event is helpful and says better what I was trying to say - it does give an overview, like similar events, like the one happening at Queens next month -

And thanks for the vote of confidence -

weeze's picture

weeze

jlin--not Dad this year, I'm sorry--but 'her Fabulousness' and I will come together.

It would be really cool to meet some of you WCers in person!

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I edited this post. I was grumpy and shouldn't nit-pick like that. For those who read the last one...sorry for my complaining...if you didn't read it ,nevermind.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

That;s okay Kimmio. I've been complaining all day too. We can form a club. TCDC - The Complaining Duo Club.

Back to Church Life topics