AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

General Council Executive, Nov. 12-14, 2011

The Executive of the United Church General Council will be meeting this weekend, Nov 12-14 in Toronto.

We will be posting meeting updates on Twitter @UnitedChurchCda, using #GCExec and #UCCan.

Highlights will also be posted on our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/UnitedChurchCda

...as well as here on WonderCafe.

Share this

Comments

Alex's picture

Alex

It is good they are using twitter. Are they allowing executive members oir staff to use it during the meeting, or will it be allowed only during breaks?

Just curious?

AaronMcGallegos

Alex, I haven't heard any restrictions on using social media in the meeting, except of course during "in camera" sessions.

AaronMcGallegos

United Church General Council Executive is meeting this weekend in Toronto. Discussion on location of General Council office will continue thru weekend, with decision scheduled for Monday. Follow on Twitter: #GCExec #UCCan

AaronMcGallegos

The United Church of Canada new "identity" survey shows United Church members are strongly committed to Jesus and sharing their faith, perhaps contrary to public perception. The survey also shows youth members have enthusiasm for faith, community, and inclusive, diverse leadership. #GCExec

DKS's picture

DKS

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

The United Church of Canada new "identity" survey shows United Church members are strongly committed to Jesus and sharing their faith, perhaps contrary to public perception. The survey also shows youth members have enthusiasm for faith, community, and inclusive, diverse leadership. #GCExec

Nice spin, but read the rest of the survey. The Executive Summary suggests that +70% of the affiliates surveyed have zero interest in or intent to ever come through the doors of the United Church. They don't dislike us, they are just indifferent to us.

AaronMcGallegos

Thanks DKS. The quote I shared was referring to United Church members.

AaronMcGallegos

Youth and Young Adults Ministries Strategy Report: Lots of great dancers, but who is creating great dance floors? There is a need to focus on supporting and equipping youth leaders locally. Local ministries are the primary location where authentic relationships with youth and young adults take place. Also need to network existing regional youth and young adult together nationally. What does YOUR youth ministry need to thrive now? #GCExec

Pinga's picture

Pinga

May the feel the support of the church in its organizations and people with them.

May they know that they are the right people in the right place at the right time.

May they honour both where they are from and where we need to be, and be able to live into their call 

blessings to them 

AaronMcGallegos

EDGE: Network for Ministry Development report. "We stand on the edge of a new day." EDGE's strategy is to help church step into this new day. The network works to build a network of ministries where each leader has access to all of the resources of the network. Watch for the Edge launch - Spirit Sightings on Nov 20. Join a Virtual Flash Mob in Worship! http://edge-ucc.ca/launch/ #GCExec #UCCan

AaronMcGallegos

General Secretary's Report: this is truly a time of great change in the church. Overwhelming at times. #GCExec

DKS's picture

DKS

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

What does YOUR youth ministry need to thrive now? #GCExec

Youth. Our congregational demographic solidly represents the profile of those surveyed. Majority are 50+, including the minister.

DKS's picture

DKS

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

There is a need to focus on supporting and equipping youth leaders locally. Local ministries are the primary location where authentic relationships with youth and young adults take place.

Translation: "The congregation is the primary mission unit." Been hearing that since.. oh... 1975.

AaronMcGallegos

United Church to Saskatchewan Supreme Court: "Freedom of religion is not an absolute. It does not extend to condoning hate speech." #GCExec

http://www.united-church.ca/communications/news/general/111021

AaronMcGallegos

Philanthropy report to General Council Executive: Mission & Service work not well understood. It's not about the $30 million national campaign - it's about helping congregations first, the denomination second. Turn a financial donation into a conversation. #GCExec

http://united-church.ca/funding/msfund/about

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Aaron, on behalf of those of us who do not have a twitter account, thanks for posting these updates here.

As for what youth in my congregation need - I would say funding for presbytery wide events so that they can build community with youth in other congregations. A presbytery youth worker would be nice.

AaronMcGallegos

Philanthropy report to General Council (cont.):

- Horn of Africa - $1.4 million for Africa drought. Incredible generosity across the country.

- Only half of the congregations are on Pre-Authorized Remittance, but PAR givers give twice as much.

- New Gift Catalogue "Gifts with Vision" being tested in three Conferences, but you can join in at giftswithvision.ca (beta) #GCExec

AaronMcGallegos

(From the Twitter stream #GCExec)

Ministry report to General Council:

- Clear need for education regarding clergy residence deduction.

-Survey to all diaconal ministers & candidates coming. What ministries should be included? How do we understand DM?

- looking at sabbatical policy - wide range of experiences in current practice.

- Survey results to be posted on Leadership Network. Join the discussion churchleadership.united-church.ca

- Smaller congregations find it hard to support minister sabbaticals

- Many worry about the future availability of candidates for ministry. What so we need to do?

- Demographics - 74% of ordained/commissioned ministers are female - 46 in 2011

- 67% of Ministers are Very Proud - 27% are Proud to be United Church ministers.

- 59% of ministers are optimistic about the future of the United Church

- We are in the "Cauldron of Change" - discern the new reality, instead of clinging to the status quo.

- there are positives and negatives at both the denomination and congregation levels. Need the best of both.

- Collegial Relationship Building does not happen through Pastoral Oversight visits. #GExec

DKS's picture

DKS

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

- Only half of the congregations are on Pre-Authorized Remittance, but PAR givers give twice as much.

I refer to our PAR givers as our "Sixth Sunday of the Month". Thirty three PAR givers give as much as everyone else on a per weekly basis.

DKS's picture

DKS

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

- Smaller congregations find it hard to support minister sabbaticals

So do large congregations.

AaronMcGallegos

Good morning! General Council Executive opens today with worship and several in camera sessions. You can see the draft agenda here (PDF) ow.ly/7rQGq

AaronMcGallegos

After a long day yesterday in discussion and working in sessional committees, General Council Executive has gathered for its final day of meetings. We'll post updates here, but to follow "live," please visit our #GCExec stream on Twitter.

AaronMcGallegos

French ministry is growing with two new ministries in Quebec. There is one new congregation in Quebec where the parents are mostly Hispanic (Hispanophones), but their children are Francophone. General Council Executive reaffirms the church's commitment to strengthen and expand Francophone ministries within the church. #GCExec

AaronMcGallegos

Pension Report to General Council Executive: Sustainability of the pension plan faces twin challenges: demographics and economics. The pension plan has served church well for 55 years, but people are living longer (yay!) and entering the ministry at a later age. The plan's commitment to the defined benefits and promises made to pensioners and existing employees continues. Starting in 2013, there will be changes to the plan being worked to ensure sustainability for future staff. "We are not alone" in facing the current challenges of a volatile climate. All plans are facing similar challenges. #GCExec

To learn more about the United Church pension plan:

http://www.united-church.ca/minstaff/pension

AaronMcGallegos

Earlier today, General Council Executive reaffirmed its commitment to including Transgender - gender variant individuals into membership in The United Church of Canada. #GCExec

AaronMcGallegos

General Council Executive is returning to the discussion about "Accomodations." Scheduled to make a decision about a direction on future location of General Council offices today.

AaronMcGallegos

GCE discussion on General Council accomodations continues...

AaronMcGallegos

The General Council Executive has decided on accomodations question regarding future location of General Council Office. The decision is to stay in Toronto and explore accomodation options with a United Church ministry, including the proposals from Bloor St. United & Metropolitan United Church. #GCExec

AaronMcGallegos

General Council Executive comes to a close with a big thank you to all volunteers, staff, and #GCExec members for their hard work & tireless dedication!

GordW's picture

GordW

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

The General Council Executive has decided on accomodations question regarding future location of General Council Office. The decision is to stay in Toronto and explore accomodation options with a United Church ministry, including the proposals from Bloor St. United & Metropolitan United Church. #GCExec

Can't say as I am surprised.  I expected the GCO would not be leaving Toronto (although I liked the Winnipeg option).  AT least they are trying someting different than just another office  building....

DKS's picture

DKS

GordW wrote:

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

Can't say as I am surprised.  I expected the GCO would not be leaving Toronto (although I liked the Winnipeg option).  AT least they are trying someting different than just another office  building....

What is this bias against an office building? The original builder of the current national office was Harold Shipp, a well-known developer in Etobicoke and Mississauga. He and his family were active members of Islington United Church for many years. I suspect that from what I have heard anecdotally, the national office was an expression of Shipp's own deep personal faith and a sign of his witness, just as 85 St. Clair and before that, 299 Queen St W were signs of the United Church in their day. Unfortunately, the real story was lost in translation... and was never told.

If you want to see the Bloor St. United GCO proposal, take a look at it here:

http://www.bloorstreetunited.org/GCOProposal.html

Frankly, I hate the idea of moving back downtown. The driving in Toronto is impossible and the subway travel is disgusting. I did it last week for a meeting. The Bloor Islington location is bad enough. I could stomach the Yonge/Steeles area, but never, ever out in the east end.

AaronMcGallegos

Here's a news release with additional information on the General Council Office accomodations:

General Council Office to Remain in Toronto - http://bit.ly/rKb0SP

Back to Church Life topics
cafe