RAN's picture

RAN

Lectionary readings for 24th January, 2010

The lectionary readings (with links) for 24th January, 2010 are:

My bible (NRSV text) uses these headings to hint at the content of the passages:

1. [Nehemiah 8] Ezra summons the people to obey the law
  2. [Psalm 19] God's glory in creation and the law
  3. [1 Corinthians 12] One body with many members
  4. [Luke 4] The beginning of the Galilean ministry [without the rejection of v.22ff.]

What do these passages say to us?

Share this

Comments

RAN's picture

RAN

I generally like to look for a common thread that runs through as many of the passages as possible. For these passages I have a sense of the people's joy in receiving God's good news for their particular situation.

Nehemiah and Psalms emphasize joy that comes from God's law.

1 Corinthians and Luke emphasize joy that comes from God's Spirit.

At least those are the things I notice first.

GordW's picture

GordW

I am going with Nehemiah (having used this portion of Corinthians last week and using the whole Luke story--this is only the first half--next week).

I am preaching about whether the law is a blessing or a burden.  Look here for some early thoughts (you'll have to scroll down a bit)

seeler's picture

seeler

RAM - thank you for starting this thread.  I have to lead the Lectionary Bible Study group on Sunday and I must admit I've been remiss in my preparation.  Four good passages here but I am struggling for a common thread.  I see the relationship in the two readings from the Hebrew scriptures about rejoicing in the law - but no relationship as yet between them and the epistle or the gospel and no relationship between either of these.  If I were leading worship I would have three different topic to choose from.  Leading Bible study - I'm not sure where to go.

RAN's picture

RAN

GordW wrote:

I am preaching about whether the law is a blessing or a burden.  Look here for some early thoughts (you'll have to scroll down a bit)

As in your notes, it's pretty clear the author of Psalm 19 didn't see the law as a burden!

I came across a description of a Jewish celebration called Simchat Torah (""Rejoicing with/of the Torah"). This description (from Wikipedia) is much closer to the mood of Psalm 19 than the way we often think of the law:

"The Simchat Torah festivities begin with the evening service. All the synagogue's Torah scrolls are removed from the ark and are carried around the sanctuary in a series of seven hakafot (circuits). Although each hakafa need only encompass one circuit around the synagogue, the dancing and singing with the Torah often continues much longer, and may overflow from the synagogue onto the streets. ...
Congregations may also sing other, popular songs during the dancing. Children are often given flags, candies and treats. The vigor of the dancing and degree of festive merriment varies with congregational temperament."

It gives a whole new meaning to "liturgical dance"! 

Alex's picture

Alex

I read these passages and what comes to mind is that God brings and shows us they way to healing. wholeness, holiness, with creation and inside creation.

BTW I was impressed with GordW church web site. I like it, it looks accessible, easy to use, up to date, and most of all economical.

GordW's picture

GordW

seeler wrote:

RAM - thank you for starting this thread.  I have to lead the Lectionary Bible Study group on Sunday and I must admit I've been remiss in my preparation.  Four good passages here but I am struggling for a common thread.  I see the relationship in the two readings from the Hebrew scriptures about rejoicing in the law - but no relationship as yet between them and the epistle or the gospel and no relationship between either of these.  If I were leading worship I would have three different topic to choose from.  Leading Bible study - I'm not sure where to go.

THere is not always (in fact I would say rarely) a common thread between the lectionary readings.  This is especially true in the seasons of "Ordinary Time" (between EPiphany and LEnt and between Pentecost Sunday and Advent).  I have seen people jump through hoops to get one--the Whole People of God Sunday School Curriculum often did so--but I have decided it isn't worth it.  I have also decided that there is little point reading all the readings each week.

Jim Kenney's picture

Jim Kenney

Law isliberating -- it frees us from the burden of deciding moment by moment, event by event what isthe right thing to do.  It frees us from the burden of justifying our decisions to those around us.  It frees us from much of the burden of fear of what others might do -- if we trust them to be folowing the same rules as we are, we can reasonably predict what they will do.  For example, without rules of the road, it would become impossible to drive anywhere because we wouldn't know what side of the road others will be using.  Every intersection, even those with lights, will bring moments of terror.  Without law, we could not plant crops, buy land, build anything, because we would not know if we would be able to harvest those crops, keep the land, or use what we are building.

Imagine life without law, and then rejoice for the order, freedom and security, along with prosperity, that law brings!

Jim Kenney's picture

Jim Kenney

LIke Gord W, I don't use all the readings, and I prefer his approach -- when able to choose readings, I like to examine all the readings for a series of Sundays and regroup them, especially trying to keep the gospel stories in one piece.  I also exclude readings that are unlikely to contribute to the worth of worship -- worship is more important than using readings chosen by someone else, even if those choices were made by a collective deeply committed to enhancing the depth and breadth of the biblical experience for worshippers.

Back to Church Life topics
cafe