Jobam's picture

Jobam

One of the best kept secrets - UCC & World Pride 2014

The United Church of Canada welcomes the world to Toronto for WorldPride 2014.

WorldPride is an international celebration incorporating activism, education, and the history and culture of global LGBTTIQQ2SA communities. WorldPride 2014 will mark the fourth WorldPride festival, and the first to be held in North America.

Toronto Conference Office is coordinating The United Church of Canada’s presence at WorldPride, with input from local Affirming Ministries, Affirm United/S’affirmer Ensemble, and the General Council Office.

A new website highlights the wide variety of United Church activities taking place in Toronto during these 10 days, including

• worship services with Moderator Gary Paterson
  • faith events such as Metropolitan United’s Interfaith Pride Fair and Services
  • the United Church presence in Pride Parade on June 29
  • and more

Share this

Comments

Jobam's picture

Jobam

UCC World Pride Website...

http://uccworldpride.com/

seeler's picture

seeler

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Although distance makes it impossible for me to participate, I am proud of my UCC for its involvement.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Thanks folks, good to hear.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

any chance the service(s) are planned to be webcast?

chemgal's picture

chemgal

What's with the secret?  I've been seeing tv commercials for it, even though it would be quite the drive from here!

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

chemgal wrote:

What's with the secret?  I've been seeing tv commercials for it, even though it would be quite the drive from here!

That's what I was wondering, what's so "best kept secret" about it. Hasn't the UCCanada participated in the Pride festival for many years now?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Chemgal? Have you been seeing tv commercials for World Pride or specifically for the United church of Canada's participation in it.

DcnJae.  World Pride is significantly bigger than Toronto Pride  So, it is quite a bit different.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Pinga wrote:

Chemgal? Have you been seeing tv commercials for World Pride or specifically for the United church of Canada's participation in it.

DcnJae.  World Pride is significantly bigger than Toronto Pride  So, it is quite a bit different.

Thank you Pinga, I knew that World Pride is different, still, UCCanada involvement is not unexpected, not surprising.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Pinga wrote:

Sorry, sleepy today.  Yeah, it was just for World Pride in general.  Thanks.

Jobam's picture

Jobam

Moderator Writes an Open Letter to the LGBTQ Community

Français

Monday, May 12, 2014

Toronto: In an open letter (PDF) issued today by The United Church of Canada, the church’s Moderator delivers a message he hopes will be heard by the LGBTQ community.

“I am writing today as the spiritual leader of Canada’s largest Protestant denomination, The United Church of Canada. I am also writing as an openly gay man, married to another United Church minister. This introduction may come as a surprise, seeing that so often it is religious leaders who condemn homosexuality, quoting scripture to justify their prejudice,” writes the Right Rev. Gary Paterson.

The letter, which was issued in advance of the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia on May 17, emphasizes “that not all Christians think the same way; that the hatred, condemnation, and judgment inflicted upon LGBTQ people by some within the Christian church is wrong and does not reflect the sum total of all Christian understanding of gender identity and sexual orientation.”

The letter goes on to say, “I believe that we are all made in the image of God, wholly good and wholly loved by the Creator. This is why I feel such sadness when I see religious leaders and organizations failing to recognize that reality in every member of the LGBTQ community.”

Paterson explains that although he hasn’t wanted his three-year term of office to be primarily defined by the fact that he is the first openly gay person to be elected Moderator, he has grown increasingly disturbed by the hatred, discrimination, and judgment levelled against the LGBTQ community around the world, particularly by some in the Christian church. That is why he chose to write this open letter to mark the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia.

Alex's picture

Alex

I wonder why Toronto was picked for World Pride. The point of Pride day and marches is to fight shame by increasing visibility and providing a public space and event where LGBT and their accomplishments can be celebrated.

It seems to me that Toronto already has those things. That is not to say that shame and homophobia has been eliminated, but that the tools and public spaces/events needed to continue the fight exist years round in  Toronto.  

Pride in Toronto is now largely a commercial event like any other street festival or large community event.

The first world pride was held in Jerusalem, and the second was held in Rome. Both cities and both Italy and Israel were transformed during pride and it resulted in changes that brough LGBT issues there to the forefront and the ammount of acceptance increased significantly.  

If Pride is to be fighting shame and homophobia it should go to cities where it can have an effect like Johannesburg, South Africa, or Seoul Korea, or Manilla. OR a city in Latin America like Reo. 

Regardeless I am unable to spend alot of time in crowds, so I usually just march in the parade and go home, so prehapos I am missing something.  ANyone???

I suspect that World Pride picks it cities based on where it can get the most corporate support and financing rather than where it can promote pride where it can have an effect.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I think being this close to the US can make a big difference, especially for US friends who will travel to it.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

It might be dangerous to have it in places where there is more homophobia. Having it in a major Canadian city that is not only close to the US but has a lot of exposure to the US and is not unlike major cities in the US in many ways, but where homophobia is less of an issue, in a country where same sex marriage has been legalized, can be effective in spreading the message of LGBT rights and equality. One bonus is that it also might help heal TO's reputation from the Ford debacle. Unfortunately, right now a lot of people in the US and western world, when they hear Toronto mentioned, think of Ford. He may not have attended pride parades but his view doesn't, obviously, represent Toronto- if they're hosting an international pride event there. It may not have been part of the decision but hopefully it'll help anyway.

Alex's picture

Alex

Canada hosted the World Aids Conference 4 times, because the USA would not admit openly gay men and women, and those with HIV. Thus we got all the conferences that should have gone to the US.  So I suspect Pinga is right. Toronto is a stand in for the USA since so many people have trouble being admited. ALthrough today they have lifted the ban of those with HIV and LGBT people, however muslims, and people from many countries face great difficulty being admitted to the US

I agree Kimmio, the idea is balance risk with the ability to make an impact. The World Pride in Israel had to cancel the Pride Parade becasue of the conflict between the Palestinians,

Howevr if did cause a backlash among the Orthodox Jews and Muslims. But that was good becaseu it forced the mainstream to come out and support the LGBT community.  Israel is now a LGBT tourist destination and other than marriage they are treated as equals.

Same thing happened in Rome. The Pope spoke out against it, causing the gvt to remove funding. Howevr the mainstream and business came out in support of Pride and forced the gvtb to reinstate funding within a day.

Rome is now very LGBT friendly and while it might have happened anyways there is no doubt that Pride made people see the light,  

Back to Church Life topics
cafe