Rendez-vous2011's picture

Rendez-vous2011

Rendez-Vous 2011 - Video Highlights!

Share this

Comments

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Looks like a good and meaningful time was had by all. I enjoyed what I heard in the video from the second of the speakers.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

It looks like they are having a wonderful experience! It was neat to be able to spot several members of my church's youth group in the video - I know how much they were looking forward to this experience and it looks like they are making the most of it!

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Great! I didn't see the folks i know but I look forward to more videos of the next day. And OOps-of course i know Revolve quite well! Just saw josh and Chris in the video!

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

LOL - of course the image you see before clicking on the video is one of Chris!

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Way back when-okay when my 16 year old was 3 Chris was the youth ministerat the church we attended. We're actualy friends with his whole family as we keep seeing them throughout the years!

AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

Video highlights from Rendez-Vous Day 2. Karla Adolphe, Rodger Nishioka, Shane Claiborne and more!

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Thanks Aaron!

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

I'm really enjoying watching these videos - thanks Aaron and Rendez-Vous folks!

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Thanks Aaron. It's great to see young people involved in the church. yescool

AaronMcGallegos

Video highlights from Day 3 of Rendez-vous 2011!

Panentheism's picture

Panentheism

It was a great event and a couple of wondercafe people are seen in #3 ....

carolla's picture

carolla

Awesome Aaron!  I would love to hear some of the speakers at greater length - since the sessions were video'd - is there a plan to release longer versions?  Thinking they might be fabulous to use with church youth groups (and others too!) - looks like lots of enthusiasm was generated & some thought provoking speakers.

Well done UCC!  I'm just sad nobody from my church went ... old story, right?

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

That is too bad Carolla. I believe there were 6 kids and 1 minister from my church who went - and from the looks of things, I suspect they had a wonderful time (I spotted three of them in the first video and think I may have seen a couple more in the subsequent videos). I can't wait to talk to them about it! They were so excited for this trip - the kids from BC took a bus across the country to get there, so it was a real adventure! Of course, the kids from Victoria got to add a ferry to that trip as well. They all took a flight home.

Those speakers all looked incredible - I would love to see them all in person!

I am very curious about who Pan spotted in #3! I hope they will identify themselves!

AaronMcGallegos

Highlights from Day 4 and Rendez-vous 2011 overview!

Wolfie's picture

Wolfie

Somegalfromcan - I was wondering if it was PAN sitting on the bench talking to the young people. Seems to me to bear a striking resemblance. Of course I could be totally wrong lol.

​*Peace - Love - Respect - Humility* Unconditionally

Wolfie

Panentheism's picture

Panentheism

Yes I was there as a chaplain - great event - the other person is adam who was active but not.  He lead a workshop.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I quite enjoyed the video's-- excellent job.

In a way, it reminds me of the OWC conferences (Ontario Women's Conference) which was started many years ago, but had similair numbers (500 or so) with waiting lists in its heyday. 

The good news was that the OWC no longer was necessary as women found their place and local groups became strong.   (Something is needed, but not OWC).

I share that, as I hope that someday, there will be so many youth groups and regional events that that sense of coming to the well from years of drought will go away and the youth will have a wonderful time and so will their leaders, but they will be torn by the amount of other opportunities available to them.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

From what I understand, Pinga, the issue stems from the termination of the national youth and young coordinator position (I can't remember what the actual problem was). With that ceasing, there seemed to be a lack of support for youth groups and their leaders coming from General Council. If what I'm told is true, this event was about youth and their leaders making connections with other youth from across the country in order that they might feel more connected with the church, as a whole.

In BC there is an annual youth conference that attracts kids from around the province. They alternate between hosting it in Vancouver and at Naramata Centre. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much happening at the presbytery level right now - with one exception: a new presbytery youth choir has been formed. BTW - there is still an annual Western Canada Women's Conference held at Naramata and one for men held in Banff.

Pan - that must have been really interesting to be there! If you met any youth from Victoria, it's highly likely they were from my congregation.

Panentheism's picture

Panentheism

It is interesting in the number of those at the event who wanted it to happen next year.  The problem is, it took over two years ( it began before the changes at the national) and to have such a national event takes a lot of planning.  The number of volunteers was exceptional, and the background work was great - not only was the moderator there for the whole event so was the general secretary and other staff.

I meet a couple of victoria kids over lunch - no deep conversation but just play.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

I can tell you  - those Victoria kids can be both deep and playful - and occasionally both at the same time! They are truly lovely human beings and I am so glad they had this opportunity! It would be neat if it were to happen again - perhaps in different locations across the country (that way those kids from Toronto could have the fun of experiencing a bus ride across the country too).

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Every two years is often enough...allows for regional events in the off-years, and things for people to look forward to.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

I agree Pinga - and would love to see it held in different regions each time.

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

I was only there for Saturday, but what a gift it was to see Karla, and Shane, and Roger....  even just the morning was worth my time!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I hope all the staff and volunteers have had time to take a rest and are taking the opportunity to reflect over the gifts they gave the youth who attended.

well done.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Today the members of our congregation who went to Rendez-Vous reported back. Six kids and two adults went - and all came back saying what a wonderful time they had. Each reported on different aspects of the trip: travelling there (imagine spending a week on a bus with 30 teenagers!), workshops, plenary sessions, service projects, music, etc. They talked about how they now feel much more connected with the wider church. They have all come away with some wonderful memories that they will have for a lifetime. I cornered a few of them after the service and with smiles on their faces they told me more stories. Our congregation and presbytery were able to financially support the journey for the kids and one of the adults (the other adult was asked to go as a chaplain).

I also spoke to the younger siblings of a couple of those kids - they are very much hoping that there will be a similar event for them to attend when they get old enough. In speaking with my minister after church, she mentioned that there are plans afoot to do some things at a presbytery level to keep the energy going - I'm sure I'll hear more about it at the next presbytery meeting.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

that's great news, somegal

Back to Church Life topics