LizCarterMorgan's picture

LizCarterMorgan

Sunday, December 25, 2011 Will your congregation worship together?

As clergy, I am happy to lead worship December 25 if anyone wants to come.  How do we decide?

Share this

Comments

redbaron338's picture

redbaron338

Well, in this charge it would be up to the worship committee.  If I were to guess right now, for this two poiny charge (that normally has a service weekly in each congregation) , there would probably only be one service.

RevJamesMurray's picture

RevJamesMurray

We'll have our regular service here in downtown Ottawa. Maybe even through in communion for good measure.

Witch's picture

Witch

I'm confused...

Is there some question as to whether there would be a service because it's Christmas? or is there some other significance to that date?

When I was a Christian there was always a service on Christmas day, Sunday or not. Is this no longer the case?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Hah, Witch.

In our United Church of Canada we have a service on Christmas Eve, Good Friday...sometimes Maundy Thursday...and all Sunday's.

So, yes there will be a service on Dec 25th...if it falls on a sunday..but it will likely be small

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

My local UC didn't have a service on Christmas Day last year.  They had a Christmas Eve one though.  I doubt anyone would show up on Christmas Day as they would be spending it with family.

As an Anglican child I attended worship on Christmas Day - I believe the RC's had a service too - but not the other local denominations.

In your shoes I think I'd ask what was wanted and why,  who would attend and why not.

GordW's picture

GordW

I am told that in 2005 this charge and a neighbouring charge shared worship.  One held Dec 25 and one held Jan 1st.

We haven't had the discussion for this year yet

DKS's picture

DKS

We will be sharing worship with three other United Churches in our city. This has been our custome for several years.

GordW's picture

GordW

Witch wrote:

I'm confused...

Is there some question as to whether there would be a service because it's Christmas? or is there some other significance to that date?

When I was a Christian there was always a service on Christmas day, Sunday or not. Is this no longer the case?

As you can probably guess--it depends on geography and/or denomination....

In 2005 the charge where I was chose not to have a service--largely because in 2004 for Boxing Day there was hardly anybody apart from the Baptism families present) and then they also cancelled Jan 1 that year because I was going to be away

Rev. Steven Davis's picture

Rev. Steven Davis

I see no reason we wouldn't have a service on Christmas Day.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Actually, I'd love to do the Christmas Day service in my UU fellowship. It'll be small, but I've done those services before. Alas, unless my family moves Christmas to another date again this year (last year, my father was away at Christmas so we had it on New Year's Day), not likely to happen.

Mendalla

myst's picture

myst

Hi Liz - I sent you a wondermail. Nice to see someone I know from a different context here at wondercafe.

Has your congregation had a worship service on a Christmas day/ Sunday before? (before your arrival). Good topic of discussion for the board, worship committee and anyone else willing to discuss I would think. If you're willing to facilitate a service I'm betting at least a few would attend. I think logically it might make sense to share worship with other congregations, although the idea of a small intimate gathering appeals to me - yet that being said, I have never attended a Christmas morning service.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Hi Liz - nice to meet you!

At our church they are considering cancelling the late service on Christmas Eve, which is more of a contemplative service, and doing a similarly styled service on Christmas Day. I hope that they will reconsider the cancellation of the late service and make the Christmas Day service into something different from either of the Christmas Eve services. The past two years we have hosted a Christmas Dinner on December 25th  - so this might be turned into a luncheon and held after the service.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Ok now I need to go to the who you have met in real life thread! I've met Liz as she was a leader/chaplain for youth conference when my son attended.

seeler's picture

seeler

I hope that they have a service at my church.  If they do I will certainly try to attend, although with Seelergirl and family inviting us over in the morning to see the gifts opened, I think I would find it hard to get back into town for the 11:00 oclock service. 

But there are many in our church who don't seem to have familiies, or whose families live far away.  I would think that a worship service might be very appropriate. 

RevMatt's picture

RevMatt

We've already decided that our joint service with neighbouring churches will not happen.  My Session in one place and Council in the other will have to decide, probably not 'til the fall, whether they have a service on either the 1st or the 25th.  If we do anything, I would suggest a simple hymn sing around the piano, maybe with hot chocolate and coffee on hand.

Last time 'round I was in a different pastoral charge, and we took the morning off.

musicsooths's picture

musicsooths

We probably will not have a service on Christmas day considering the service on boxing day this year at 20 people including the 5 that had to be there in various capacities.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

musicsooths wrote:

We probably will not have a service on Christmas day considering the service on boxing day this year at 20 people including the 5 that had to be there in various capacities.

20 is plenty. That's what we get for most summer services as well as some low Sundays during the year. We know when our low Sundays are coming and plan services accordingly. Chairs in a circle; smaller scale, more interactive service.  No Sunday School, just 1 or 2 people to provide some kind of child care for those who need it (or do it as a family service with some content geared to the kids). Admittedly, our space is more flexible than in most UCCan churches since we don't use pews, just meeting room style chairs that can be arranged to suit. However, in a traditional church, one could accomplish the same thing by moving to the church hall or other venue.

Mendalla

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Really I have no idea what will happen at my church on the date in question. My pastor and his family typically spend Christmas in Florida. If there is a service it will be led by a guest pastor.

carolla's picture

carolla

I have no idea what will occur - not planning that far ahead yet!  Our church usually does NOT have a service on Christmas Day.  I don't see why we would change that practice, just because the 25th is on Sunday - but that's just me.  We do have two services on Dec. 24th - so it's not as if people have no worship options that week.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

I'm a bit confused by this discussion.  Isn't Christmas one of the more important days in the Christian year?  Another one I can think of would be Easter.

If these are important days what reason would pastors and congregations have for cancelling services?  I'm thinking 'convenience' is a poor excuse, but I could be wrong.

Somehow (to me anyway) it seems MORE important to have a service on the 25th when that date falls on a Sunday.

GordW's picture

GordW

Well in most cases that I know of it was of the "who will come?" category.

But if holding one I would do a simple plan, much like we did for Boxing Day this yer.  I may have to find a different pianist though....

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Kay, because traditonally, people would rather be at home with their family doing traditional family events than being at church.  In denominations where christmas morning services are the norm, then yes, it makes sense.  Given that most christians of the united church of canada recognize that the date of dec 25th is not a literal birthday..then...why is it important to worship on christmas day as well as christmas eve.

(having grown up going on christmas day...i do remember and we have gone on christmas morning services at our united church..however..most don't and won't)

seeler's picture

seeler

I think going to church on Christmas day is a very appropriate activety.  I also think that unless all family members are on the same page, it could be difficult and maybe cause tension in the family.  

Let's say, one parent (Mom) loves attending church each Sunday and especially on Christmas.  The other parent (Dad) occasionally goes to church mainly to please Mom, but on Christmas day, his tradition is to open gifts, have a leisurely brunch, then either welcome visitors to his home throughout the afternoon, while preparing a big turkey dinner.   And to complement matters, both have parents who live nearby and expect them to come over.  And the kids side with Dad.   It's going to be difficult for Mom to slip away, even for an hour or so, to attend church.  

On the other hand for the older couple whose children live in other provinces, and the single woman who lives alone, the opportunity to worship on this special day might mean a lot to them.  

I would say, have a worship service - especially when Christmas falls on a Sunday.  Expect people to come,  provide something for the children (open nursery), and at least part of the service to appeal to children.  Accept the fact that it might be a small turn out, and plan the service accordingly.  Great opportunity for some carol singing.  Perhaps a story instead of the sermon.   Keep it short, but have some fellowship before or after.  

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Pinga wrote:
Given that most christians of the united church of canada recognize that the date of dec 25th is not a literal birthday..then...why is it important to worship on christmas day as well as christmas eve.

Why specify "...of the united church of canada..."? What, do you think that's some kind of hidden knowledge?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I don't profess to speak of other denominations, morning calm...i even struggled putting UCofC....if you would like to speak re your denomination..or others go for it.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Pinga wrote:

I don't profess to speak of other denominations, morning calm...i even struggled putting UCofC....if you would like to speak re your denomination..or others go for it.

Okay I will, thanks.

Most christians of the fellowship of evangelical baptist churches in canada recognize that the date of dec 25th is not a literal birthday.

LizCarterMorgan

Because we will have 3 services on Christmas eve, and because the day starts at sunset, (the hebrew understanding, see Genesis 1:  There was evening, there was morning, the 1st day)  the addition of a 4th, morning service is always a question for debate when Christmas falls on a Sunday

LizCarterMorgan

LWL07's picture

LWL07

Last time round, it was determined our Pastoral Charge would not have a Sunday Dec 25th service.  (Did have 3 services the night before).  It was communicated by word of mouth, however my husband and I did go to the church that morning to ensure that no one came to church and were met with a locked door.  We stayed til half hour after our service would have started and then went across town to worship with the Baptists.  It was a great morning.

Our congregation is now a 1 point charge under a new Pastor, and I don't believe the conversation has started yet about this year.

seeler's picture

seeler

LWL, I see by your profile that you have been around for some time but this is the first I've seen you posting.  If you have recently started posting, after following along until now, WELCOME.   If you've been around but just not in the forefront forgive me for not remembering.  I'm a senior - we can get forgetful.

LWL07's picture

LWL07

Thanks Seeler.  I set up my profile in 2007 and this is the first time I have been back.  Wow, life is crazy. 

I have found some interesting discussions here, and will be back regularly. It's good to know there is somewhere to chat when wakeing @ 5 am on a Saturday morning. 

seeler's picture

seeler

Drop over to the 'Room for all' thread in Relationships and join us for a cup of coffee.  Tell us about yourself.  I'm usually an early riser too, but I try to discipline myself to not coming to the computer before 6:00 am est.

AbrahamMartin's picture

AbrahamMartin (not verified)

I will likely go to Mass with at least one of my children's families depending on where I'm visiting. 

Back to Church Life topics
cafe