Alex's picture

Alex

Voices United and More Voices on Youtube

I thought it would be useful to collect a list of Youtube Videos, and other videos and music available on the Internet.  Please add your most liked hymns from VU and MV.

I will start this with two versions of Draw the Circle Wide from More Voices.  I like the hymn, but I am also impressed by the quality of the sound, and the authenticity of these two versions recorded during church services with hand held Cameras.  In the first one the person drops the camera . The cameraman son who posted it apologised for his father. I found it cute and it added to the life. However IMHO the amateur nature the video gives it a special quality.

The Young Person's Justice Chorale UMC singing "Draw the Circle Wide" Music by Mark Miller with Words by Gordon Light sung at Foundry UMC on Jan. 18, 2009 

I also like this version: The Saint Mark United Methodist Church in Atlanta celebrates Pride Sunday by singing "Draw the Circle Wide."

Share this

Comments

gecko46's picture

gecko46

Blessed Assurance

Alex's picture

Alex

Morning Has Broken, performed by Cat Stevens, (who's now on a now fly list for being a muslim) and Nana Mouskouri

VU 409

gecko46's picture

gecko46

I like both versions.   Thanks, Alex.

stanfast12's picture

stanfast12

One of my favorites! Thanks for sharing! :)

gecko46's picture

gecko46

I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say  #626 VU. This is a new hymn for me – we are singing it this coming Sunday. It is good to learn new hymns, and hope we can manange this one.

Alex's picture

Alex

Amazing Grace on Bag Pipes. 

Every summer as a Kid we would visit my grandmother's cottage on the shores of PEI. One of her neighbours played the Pipes, and to me nothimng was better on the Pipes Than Amazing Grace.  Which I still believe is in VU.

Audrey.'s picture

Audrey.

I heard the voice of Jesus say:

Softly and Tenderly (my mom's special favorite these days):

Alex's picture

Alex

Audrey's Hymns embedded. To embed videos, Click on the words "Switch to plain text editor and paste the embed code taken from Youtube or other video site.

I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say

Softly and Tenderly

Alex's picture

Alex

Rockers United are a group from Manitoba. They have no videos, but they have recorded 3 CDs including one  of Voices United Hymns called United We Rock.

http://www.rockersunited.com/united.html

Listen online to 

1.   Make a Joyful Noise
    3.   Out of Deep Unordered Water
    5.   A New Creed

United We Rock  CD contains

1.   Make a Joyful Noise

2.   Joy Comes With the Dawn

3.   Out of Deep Unordered Water
    4.   The Spring Has Come
    5.   A New Creed
    6.   I Feel The Winds of God
    7.   I am the Light of the World
    8.   When a Poor One
    9.   Here I am Lord
    10. Would you Bless our Homes and Families
    11. A Woman and a Coin
    12. Prayer of St. Francis
    13. When Quiet Peace is Shattered
    14. The Gift of Love
    15. May the God of Hope
    16. The Lord's Prayer

17. We Shall go Out With Hope of Resurrection

Walk in Faith CD contains

1.   Beyond These Walls
      2.   How Will You Mourn
      3.   Walk in Faith Upon the Water
      4.   The Lord's Prayer Paraphrase
      5.   In Black and White
      6.   Present Tense
      7.   Malcontent
      8.   The Finest Desires of Your Heart
      9.   Jesus Faced the Devil
      10. Gracious God
      11. I'll Fly Away
      12. The Good Shepherd
      13. Living in the Hands of God
      14. You Need the Power

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

I'd love to hear a rock/pop version of that one.

Alex's picture

Alex

Let Us break break Bread VU 480

sung by the Great Paul Robeson

Tenor Antoine Garth performs John Carter's arrangement of Let Us Break Bread Together with American Voices pianist John Ferguson

EasyRider1983's picture

EasyRider1983

What a great thread.  I'm new to Wondercafe and I'm loving these hymns!

Alex's picture

Alex

I just discover this version of Abide with me. by Elton John. Voices United 436

femmemomma's picture

femmemomma

Alex wrote:

I will start this with two versions of Draw the Circle Wide from More Voices. 

Can I just say that I spent the last hour trying to find a copy of this song on youtube, and after failing, decided to come peruse wondercafe, and this is one of the first posts I saw, so in short, thanks!

Alex's picture

Alex

I see by your bio that would also likely enjoy Come As You Are. It is on the homepage of my web site accessiblechurch.ca

DKS's picture

DKS

chansen wrote:

More correctly, Gord, hymns are "attempted".  To say that hymns are "sung" implies a level of competence that, from what I gather, is not often achieved.

Perhaps if you attended worship, you would have a clearer understanding of what you are talking about. Hymns are sung. Everything sung with the purpose of praising God is acceptable. Human judgement is irrelevant.

chansen's picture

chansen

DKS wrote:

chansen wrote:

More correctly, Gord, hymns are "attempted".  To say that hymns are "sung" implies a level of competence that, from what I gather, is not often achieved.

Perhaps if you attended worship, you would have a clearer understanding of what you are talking about. Hymns are sung. Everything sung with the purpose of praising God is acceptable. Human judgement is irrelevant.

Human judgement is not irrelevant when the singing is atrocious.  Praising God with tuneless warbling is like praising Steve Jobs by smashing iPads.

DKS's picture

DKS

chansen wrote:

DKS wrote:

chansen wrote:

Human judgement is not irrelevant when the singing is atrocious.  Praising God with tuneless warbling is like praising Steve Jobs by smashing iPads.

It absolutely is where faith is concerned. Your judgement is inappropriate and just plain wrong. If you find it offensive, here. Have a set of ear plugs. My treat.

seeler's picture

seeler

Chansen - I take it that you have never joined up with friends, perhaps in a van during a long road trip, or around a campfire, or a fireplace in winter, and had a sing-song where songs were sung to whatever accompanyment was available - just voices, and instrument to two, or along with a DVD.   Perhpas you only listen to professional entertainers and never add your voice.   If you do, the song is sung. 

That's what happens with hymns.  They are sung.  In many churches there is a choir who have reasonably good voices, and who spend time in practice, with a music leader (sometimes a professional musician), who lead in the singing.  In my church not only are their two paid music leaders, but several in our choir  perform in the theatre occasionally.  They sing an anthem or two each week, or an occasional solo.  And they lead the congregation in singing hymns.  Hymns are Sung in our church.  I add my voice, if the hymn is familiar, and I hope that I blend in, because I am not gifted as many are.   But I sing for joy.

Alex's picture

Alex

Hey people.  Lighten up.

This you tube video seems to say it all

From More Voices United, Song number 1" Let Us Build A House" (AKA All Are Welome) , proceeded by "Tear Down The Walls"

Words and music:  Marty Haugen, 

Wayne Burcham-Gulotta, 
Music Director/Organist 

Choral Introit: "Tear Down the Walls" 

"Tear down the walls that divide us. 
Unbind the chains that confine us. 
Remove the labels that define us, 
the fear that undermines us. 
All people, all people,"
Words and music: © by Robert Demmert,

Processional Hymn: "All Are Welcome In This Place" 

1) Let us build a house where love can dwell and all can safely live, 
A place where saints and children tell how hearts learn to forgive. 
Built of hopes and dreams and visions, rock of faith and vault of grace; 
Here the love of Christ shall end divisions: 
All are welcome, all are welcome, all are welcome in this place. 

(N.B.: Stanzas 2, 3, 4 and Interludes were sung but not uploaded due to YouTube time constraints.) 

5) Let us build a house where all are named their songs and visions heard 
And loved and treasured, taught and claimed as words within the Word. 
Built of tears and cries and laughter, prayers of faith and songs of grace, 
Let this house proclaim from floor to rafter: 

Alex's picture

Alex

Chansen

Sometimes, the words of a song are more important than how well they are sung.

Perhaps if more people sang badly words like "Tear down the Walls" "Let us build a house where all are named their songs and visions heard " with or without theistic references, the singers would be moved and the world would be a better place. 

Alex's picture

Alex

This  version of " Let Us Build A House" (AKA All Are Welcome)From More Voices United, Song number 1, has the complete song and the singing is solid and easier to understand.

Alex's picture

Alex

More Voices #2

Uyai Mose (Come, All You People) 

Sung by Westminster Chancel Choir

Leader part sung by Nicole Ayala
Drum part by Leiza McArter
Tambourine part by Dr. Duilio Dobrin
for the anthem
August 29, 2010
Westminster Presbyterian Church
Dallas, Texas

Alex's picture

Alex

More Voices 170

Ubi Caritas

Where there is charity and love, there God is.

Alex's picture

Alex

Voices United 489

When love is found and hope comes

Usually sung at weddings. Hopefully one day mine. 

Alex's picture

Alex

Steve Angrisano playing and singing his song Go Make a Difference.  

More Voices 209

Alex's picture

Alex

This is an an amazing song. More Voices 38

Nzamuranza 

Alex's picture

Alex

Another hauntingly beautiful song from Taize

Da Pacem Cordium

MV 86

Give Peace to every Heart

Alex's picture

Alex

Salamun, Salamun

More Voices 168

Arabic chorus:

Salamun, salamun, salamun, salam. 

We made peace a symbol of ours; 

in the name of peace we gather here now. 

O Lord! please make these days of ours 

on this earth filled with peace.

English chorus:

Peaceful, peaceful, peaceful peace 

Arabic chorus

Ja�alna 's-salama shi�ara 'l-lana

wa bismi 's-salamin taqayna lana

Ja�alna 's-salama shi�ara 'l-lana

wa bismi 's-salamin taqayna lana

Li-taj'ala Ya Rabbu ayyamana �ala hadhihi 'l-ardi bushra salam

Li-taj'ala Ya Rabbu ayyamana �ala hadhihi 'l-ardi bushra salam

English chorus

French verse:

Nous avons fait de la paix notre devise

Et c'est en son nom que l'on s'est rassemblé

Afin que tu fasses oh seigneur que l'on vive

Nos jours sur cette terre dans un havre de paix

Arabic chorus

English chorus

So Lord, indeed! You are as-Salam, from 

You comes salam and with You is salam 

To You belongs the command of all things; 

between Your hands are the hearts of all beings

English chorus

Fa Ya Rabbu innaka anta 's-Salam 

minka 's-Salamu ilayka 's-Salam

Fa Ya Rabbu innaka anta 's-Salam 

minka 's-Salamu ilayka 's-Salam 

Li amrika yarji�u amru 'l-anam

bayna yadayka qulubu 'l-anam

Li amrika yarji�u amru 'l-anam

bayna yadayka qulubu 'l-anam

French verse

Ya Allah c'est toi sans doute la paix

C'est toi qui la donne et toi qui la détient

Le destin des hetres que tu as creés

Et celui des coeurs se trouve entre tes mains

Arabic chorus

English chorus

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Thank you for posting these Alex and others!

Alex's picture

Alex

I am starting to post songs from Voices and More Voices that I have not heard before. I am impressed by many of these. Saluman Saluman is one I had never heard, but it has all the qualities of a great singable hymn.

Alex's picture

Alex

Venite Exultemus Domino

MV 9

Alex's picture

Alex

My Love Colours Outside The Lines

MV 138

Is the a law in the universe, that states as the quality of the theology goes up in a hymn, the quality of the music goes down.

From Northwest United Church in Barrie Ontario

Alex's picture

Alex

Since most of my favorite hymns from More Voices and Voices United that are avaiable oline (still looking for Earth to Sky ) are already posted, I have started to post songs that are in MV and VU, but that are not sung, or at least heard in my church.

I am also going to repost versions of Hymns that are already posted here, but that are better, interesting or  different than what is already posted.

Please join me and post any music from VU and MV you find online.  One day i will make different playlists of music from VU and MV. (i.e. amateur, professional, organ, jazz, theologically progressive, blood, or process) It would enable someone to click one link and hear an hour or so of UCC music that follows a theme. I  know its not something most UCC church people would listen to, however. speaking from experience, I know  someone who is housebound due to illness, or in a nursing home, or unable to get to church for some reason, could enjoy, and maybe have their spirits lifted up. i will publish the links on accessiblechurch.ca.   So please join in and post some MV or VU music. 

This is a wonderful jazz version of Blessed Assurance. now you will not often hear Jazz in church. Unless you come to my church. One Sunday evening a month, the Anglicans we share our building with, hold a Jazz Service. It is very interesting. they bring in jazz muscians, and essential they give a concert of Hymns using Jazz arrangements.

It's kind of weird. You are moving your hips in sway with the jazz, and you are thinking, I am in church, but I feel like I am in a smokey Chicago jazz club.  Much like the one Crazyheart and I did not meet at.. I do not know how these rumours start, just because a guy puts a heart on his picture!

Swing away.\

Blessed Assurance, by Cece Winans. VU 337

Alex's picture

Alex

Also if you like non UCC church music, or old time favorites post them in the thread jae/morningcalm started. If jae or others continue to do so, i can also make playlists from those as well..

Alex's picture

Alex

One of my childhood favorites. Jesus Loves me This I know, VU 365

Sung by Whitney Houstan in an wonderful original arrangement. 

Alex's picture

Alex

Another arrangement of Jesus Loves Me This I Know, performed by the Gaither Vocal band.

Alex's picture

Alex

Found two more versions of I was there to hear Your Borning Cry

The first one is a more professional recording of it that was posted on Youtube, after the version  posted earlier in this thread was, just late last year,

The second one is interesting, the choir sings  Laudete Dominum & Borning Cry. It is really really beautiful, and although an amateur recording made with a cheap Flip camera, this version sounds better to my ears than does the the other version. If you just have time to listen to one, pick this one.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

I too prefer the second recording.  Do you know who they are?

Alex's picture

Alex

Minnetonka Chamber Choir 

Recorded on June 21, 2009 using a Flip Video camcorder

The Minnetonka Chamber Choir is an internationally recognized performing and touring ensemble for young women in grades 9-12.  

It is past of the the Music Association of Minnetonka which provides classical musical experiences for people of all ages and abilities.

The association encompasses nine choral and orchestral ensembles with more than 280 performing members. Approximately 50 concerts are performed each year for members of the greater Minneapolis community

Alex's picture

Alex

This is the Minnetonka Chamber Choir singing Amazing Grace

Alex's picture

Alex

seeler wrote:

Well, I developed it into a sermon and preached it this morning, using the scripture fromPhilippians 2: 5 - 8 and from Mark 3: 20-21; 31-35, and Mark 6: 1-5  (a bit of cherry picking there). 

I backed it up with the hymns from Voices United:

509    I, the Lord of Sea and Sky

608    Dear Lord who Loves all Humankind

701     What does the Lord Require of You

713    I See a New Heaven

No one got up and walked out on me.   No one spoke negatively about it during the fellowship luncheon after the service.   And several people said that they like hearing me speak, and that I make them think.  

We'll see if they invite me back.  

For Seeler these are versions of 2 of the Hymns she chose.  can someone else find the other two.

spiritbear's picture

spiritbear

The Voices United hymn (#701) to which Seeler refers is the following by Jim Strathdee  (rather than the one Alex has indicated above)

Mely's picture

Mely

Does anyone know of any recordings or videos of "In the Bulb there is a Flower"?

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Here's a lovely version of it:

Alex's picture

Alex

This is my favourite hymn from More Voices. 

Called by Earth and Sky MV #35

​It is also the most popular and frequently sung at my church,  First United of Ottawa. This is partially due to the fact that it is written and composed by a member of our choir. Pat Mayberry . It is not on . Youtube. However Pat has put Called by Earth and Sky on Soundcloud. It is part of her promotion for her album Labyrinth Songs for the Journey. She wrote all the songs and sings all the song. 

​This is her Facebook page to promote her album.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pat-Mayberry-Labyrinth-Songs-for-the-Journey/96558715916

Buy the whole album or just each song in it at Wood Lake Books. Link is here 

http://www.woodlakebooks.com/music/inventory/Music-Audio/Downloadable-MP3s/Labyrinth-Songs-for-the-Journey

Also listen to her singing Called By Earth and Sky by clicking on the button below. You will need a flashplayer to do so. Sorry to the Ipad and Iphone crowd. 

11 Called by Earth and Sky by patmayberry

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

It's neat to hear that this was written by a United Church person! I also really like this hymn. One of my favourite hymns in that book was written by someone who is connected with my congregation: "River" by Julian Pattison. Sadly I don't believe there are any videos for that song.

Arminius's picture

Arminius

Called by Earth and Sky—one of my favourites! We sang it last Sunday in church.

Alex's picture

Alex

somegalfromcan wrote:

It's neat to hear that this was written by a United Church person! I also really like this hymn. One of my favourite hymns in that book was written by someone who is connected with my congregation: "River" by Julian Pattison. Sadly I don't believe there are any videos for that song.

To  hear River online go to this link http://www.revolvemusic.ca/mp3player.swf.   Revolve is a group of United Church muscians, and if you select song number 3 it will play River by Julian Pattison.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Great find Alex! Last week we had a youth service and one of the hymns was the first one on that page - I Need to Go. The youth got up and led us all in doing the actions during the chorus.

Back to Church Life topics
cafe