wondercafe2adm's picture

wondercafe2adm

WC2 - Oh, behave! - Community Code of Conduct draft discussion

We have put a first draft (well, first public draft, it's been drafted a few times among ourselves) of a Code of Conduct, including proposed sanctions and appeals process, for Wondercafe 2. There will not be a vote on it at this time. We are merely putting it out for discussion so you can have at it and propose changes, alternatives, new ideas, etc. If you think you can do it better, put your idea up on your blog and link to it from the thread. If you just want to change a clause or section, put your proposed change up in the thread. Nothing is cast in stone yet. What we want is your input on this code.

After this discussion, we will wait until the moderators are nominated and chosen and we will have a more specific discussion of it from a moderation standpoint with them, then bring a final draft back for a final public discussion and vote.

One thing we would ask is that, while the discussion can be a bit more freewheeling here than on other WC2 threads, we stay focussed on things like what rules we want, how we want them enforced, and such. Financial issues, governance issues, technical questions (other than related to moderation) should be in other threads.

http://www.wondercafe.ca/blogs/wondercafe2adm/wondercafe-2-community-code-conduct-first-discussion-draft

For comparison, the current Guidelines of Conduct for this site:

http://www.wondercafe.ca/guidelines

Mendalla has copies of the guidelines/rules from other sites he is on as well if people wish to see them.

Wondercafe2 Admins: Mendalla, Pinga, chansen

Share this

Comments

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Joesph Smith WAS a con artist!

Saul_now_Paul's picture

Saul_now_Paul

incoming Tabitha ban!

Saul_now_Paul's picture

Saul_now_Paul

Does Tabithaban sound sort of Muslim?

incoming SnP ban!

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Mendalla wrote:

All religious perspectives will, of course, be tolerated and people will be encouraged to express their beliefs openly and to ask questions of each other about their beliefs. It should be just as tolerant as the current WC, hopefully even more so.

Mendalla

And what if a person expresses their religious belief that homosexual behaviour is shameful, or that women should not be in church leadership. Will they be encouraged to express their belief openly, or will such views quickly be labeled as hate speech?

I'm exceptionally eager to have you express your view that your religious conviction trumps the happiness of others. I will always argue that a Christian who wants to argue against homsexual sex and gay marriage be allowed to do so.

Not that you actually believe it, Jae, but I'm happy to play along.

Not that I believe it? Who said anything about me? I was asking a hypothetical question.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Code of conduct should be intentionally grey.

There will always be challenges regarding interpretation.  The more you attempt to refine those rules the more challenges there will be.

You either trust the folks who understand the intent of the space, or you do not.

carolla's picture

carolla

Mendalla wrote:

It depends on how they express it. If you direct it at a member as a way of denigrating them or what they are saying, expect to be sanctioned (as I expressed above) for a personal attack. If you are expressing an opinion on an issue, we should be letting it stand and have the community deal with it in the discussion. Those views are still generally not regarded as hate speech in a legal sense.

This is quite clear and fair I think Mendalla.  

As people comment - it's also important to remember context - mods are not going to be searching out infractions -  I think the community will deal with most such issues as we do now.  But there does need to be some written standard (as there is now, here) to deal with those who go beyond common decency and to evaluate reported posts. 

Alex's picture

Alex

chansen wrote:

Here's a question: How much are we going to care about the feelings of deities, messiahs and prophets? Arguments that God is an ethnic cleanser, for example, or blaspeming the Holy Spirit, calling Joseph Smith a con artist, or images of Muhammad? With us no longer owned by a denomination, how does that change things?

I think because of the fact that WC2 is not owned by a church, it can be more tolerant of things that insult specific religions. It was bad form for people on WC to do so, because it would seem as the UCC was hosting an attack.  Many say my thread on The Fall of Pope as an attack on the RC church, howevr WC saw that it was a discussion about the ongoing split in the RC church and the implications of the coverup of the sex abuse scandal, and how it affect the Papacy.  

I think we have host discussions about the Mormons and other churches that were attacks, howevr becasue they were followed up by posts that explain or defended those churches, it was not needed to delete the posts 

Agaain context is evrything. And a few anti muslims posts are OK, as again the present a format to talk about issues. For eample during the Draw Mohammed day it would have been Ok to post a picture, as it was in the news, however if we have a poster or a group of them that does it ad nauseum, it makes the site an unwelecoming place and it's just plain ugly. However hundreds of posts over years and with links to neo nazi groups that call for violence and present inaccurate information shoul not be allowed. HOw

Alex's picture

Alex

I also second Pinga post. Howevr I would like to have admin explain through email on in a forum, why posts are deleted.  LAst week I posted a bad joke, that talked about Rob Ford's potential sex tape. Using metaphors that used plain langugae to describe sex acts.  So I assumed it was banned as being vulger, but I am not sure as I used everyday language that is not consider obscene, even if it was a metaphor for a sex act that has been talked about before on WC using other words.

I suspect my post seemed vulger, so I would have appreciated knowing why..

chansen's picture

chansen

Alex, that's an excellent point and one that I completely forgot about. Mods should never just delete a post with no placeholder there explaining why, or if it's just one word, they should remove the word with some note it its place. Disappearing posts is incredibly bad form on the part of the mod, and it's one of the reasons I'm happy we're starting WC2.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

chansen wrote:
Alex, that's an excellent point and one that I completely forgot about. Mods should never just delete a post with no placeholder there explaining why, or if it's just one word, they should remove the word with some note it its place. Disappearing posts is incredibly bad form on the part of the mod, and it's one of the reasons I'm happy we're starting WC2.

That's why I put that in the mod processes. It's how almost every other board I'm on handles it and I like it that  way. rpg.net also has a forum just for announcements about sanctioning of posters (save for spammer accounts that aren't worth the effort), which I think is what Alex is getting at. I hope we won's have enough to justify a whole forum just for it.

Mendalla

chansen's picture

chansen

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Not that I believe it? Who said anything about me? I was asking a hypothetical question.

Point taken. It is the sort of thing you do, however.

chansen's picture

chansen

Tabitha wrote:

Joesph Smith WAS a con artist!

Tell that to a Mormon.

The point is, I think it's important to be able to criticize deities, messiahs and prophets, and because I've seen people here try to equate criticizing biblical characters with a personal attack on a real person, I'm trying to make sure no one expects they will be.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

chansen wrote:

The point is, I think it's important to be able to criticize deities, messiahs and prophets, and because I've seen people here try to equate criticizing biblical characters with a personal attack on a real person, I'm trying to make sure no one expects they will be.

Personal attacks should really be limited to board members and related for the most part. I have no problem with someone calling Harper (or Trudeau or Mulcair or Paris Hilton) an idiot. Ditto any celebrity or public figure, including religious ones. I do have a problem with someone calling another board member an idiot. That would be a warning for sure.

Also, criticism =/= personal attack. If I say something about a person's opinion, even tear it thoroughly to shreds, without reflecting that back on the person (e.g. "only an idiot would hold this opinion" type of statements) then it is not a PA no matter how viciously I savage that opinion.

Mendalla

PS. Do be careful about potentially libelous statements, though, where public figures are concerned. You never know whose lawyer may be reading the board.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

If you reply to someone's posted opinion and say "only an idiot would hold this opinion", that's a personal attack.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Kimmio wrote:
If you reply to someone's posted opinion and say "only an idiot would hold this opinion", that's a personal attack.

yessmiley

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Kimmio wrote:

To be clear, this is what my post is meant to say, though my wording is rather convoluted. You can criticize the opinion all you like but avoid attacking the person was the gist of it.

Mendalla

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Let's say a person posts "I believe xyz", and a few posts down someone says "people who believe xyz are idiots". That may not be a direct personal attack but could be experienced like one all the same. I propose we, not ban, but ask people not to use or use very sparingly the word "idiot". It's a cruel word and usually said in haste or to be hurtful. It's not very respectful. How much harder is it to say "xyz opinion makes no sense to me or I disagree with it because___"?

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Words like idiot and respectful conversation don't go together.

chansen's picture

chansen

Occasionally, shoes fit. I use "idiot" because it's not really a big deal to me - I call myself an "idiot" when I forget my phone and have to go back home to get it, for example.

I can, however, not call anyone here by that word, if it's important. I do think that God is an idiot, and I base that only partly on the story in Genesis where God tried to kill ducks with water.

If I can't call God an idiot, then yes, that's a problem.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

chansen wrote:

I do think that God is an idiot, and I base that only partly on the story in Genesis where God tried to kill ducks with water.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080325063302AASgMSA

chansen's picture

chansen

If only ducks had some mechanism to keep their bodies above the water in a flood...

Look, the point is there is a lot of stupid stuff in religion, and we should, with reasons given, be allowed to point them out.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

You shouldn't call yourself an idiot for forgetting your phone. "Oops, crap I forgot my phone" or something to that effect, is what I do. I might use the "s" word. Actually, usually I can't find it in my own purse- the bottomless pit. In which case I tell myself to "get my 's' together and organize my purse." it makes me disorganized, but not an idiot.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

chansen wrote:

If only ducks had some mechanism to keep their bodies above the water in a flood...

God created them with the ability to normally stay well afloat.

chansen wrote:
Look, the point is there is a lot of stupid stuff in religion, and we should, with reasons given, be allowed to point them out.

Just so long as we can point out why we think choosing not to believe is foolish.

chansen's picture

chansen

I, personally, welcome those attempts. I have no problem with people criticizing atheism or anti-theism. Call it "stupid" if you want - I don't get hung up on language.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Again, it goes to intent.

I can say "that was idiotic".  

I can say " He is being a twit."

I can write 10 sentences that ultimately say, though never use the words, " she is being a twit"

Ultimately, the same thing is being said.

If it is out of line, then the moderator is appropriate to call it if you wish.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

How about:

Respect the privacy of others by not posting personal information or images outside the public domain of another person without their consent.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Pinga wrote:

Again, it goes to intent.

I can say "that was idiotic".  

I can say " He is being a twit."

I can write 10 sentences that ultimately say, though never use the words, " she is being a twit"

Ultimately, the same thing is being said.

If it is out of line, then the moderator is appropriate to call it if you wish.

You're right. We have that choice. It's free speech. I guess I find "idiot" and "idiotic" too strong, mean, to use in everyday criticism. It gets my defenses right up. It reflects a certain meanness that comes across to readers- is unwelcoming, even if not intended that way. I would never, ever, call someone close to me an "idiot". My husband would be hurt by such words for example- even if I'm justifiably annoyed - they are strong and reserved for the worst of examples. "Dork" or "dorky" implies a sense of humour about it. Overall, though, it's better to explain why one disagrees with a certain idea or behaviour or constructively suggest alternative ways of looking at or doing something, rather than crush people along with their ideas, with hard words.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Maybe that doesn't fall into code of conduct but it's relevant to creating an open environment for everyone. "idiot" dampens the spirit of open discussion, IMO. Scares off sensitive people- something to be aware of, that's all.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I have a disability. I'd rather be called 'crippled' directly, than be called an 'idiot' or my ideas be called 'idiotic'. That's how strongly I feel about it. There are people with brain injuries, people with low IQs and even people who been endoctrinated into unhealthy belief systems, or make mistakes, who are valuable people- that's why the word 'idiot' gets my back up. Up to people to consider that for themselves, though. Enough said. Sorry.

seeler's picture

seeler

Name calling is name calling.  I personally don't think idiot is any more offensive than dork.   Both are hurtful.  So is calling someone a liar.  I don't think name-calling adds anything to a discussion.  

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Seeler, I don't often use the word "dork" either but these days it implies a sense of humour- it sounds funny. When I was a kid my dad told me it's a swear word- a crude four letter word. Maybe it was when he was young but I never knew it to be. It didn't mean what he thought it meant when he heard me say it. It's similar to "joker", "goof ball", "butter fingers" or "absent minded professor". Meant lightheartedly. When I say it, I'm laughing and the person I'm saying it to is laughing with me at one or the other of our silliness. It's not hurtful in that context. It's okay to have a sense of humour and not take ourselves too seriously. At one time "geek" and "nerd" were insults. Not so much anymore. Idiot is way more insulting, still. It's used to denegrate. It's a strong word that encompasses people merely making mistakes, as well as people with low IQs and brain injuries (that's where the word comes from), therefore, I think it's mean spirited. But, you're right. Name calling is name calling and it's not a constructive or mature way to address a disagreement. Words like that shouldn't be banned, just pointing it out.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

This is gettin scary if we have to watch every word so that WC2 police don't get us. This kind of stuff  can go too far.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

crazyheart wrote:

This is gettin scary if we have to watch every word so that WC2 police don't get us. This kind of stuff  can go too far.

Moderation is often about hitting a balance between allowing people to speak as freely as possible and making sure that exertion of that right by some does not infringe on that right of others. The appeals process and the presence of multiple mods (meaning multiple eyes and opinions) is designed to deal with the fact that we won't always get it perfect.

Mendalla

chansen's picture

chansen

crazyheart wrote:

Exactly. If something is uncalled for, it will backfire. Based on what we have here at WC1, mods at WC2 should be bored out of their skulls, not busy warning and suspending people.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

I agree, Chansen

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I also agree, CH. censorship and over policing aren't cool. But we also want to create an environment that says, "join us", not "we're disagreeable jerks. Deal with it, or go away." (we being the site overall). In some ways, WC is a tough place in that regard (and I'm not saying I'm perfect.), in other ways it's great. I don't know how that can be built into the code of conduct, though. It's just in good faith.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

yup, that is my point.  It may happen, it will reflect on the person saying.  There are times it is appropriate.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Pinga wrote:

yup, that is my point.  It may happen, it will reflect on the person saying.  There are times it is appropriate.

Who were you responding to?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

For example, I normally have good phone etiquette..  I once hung up, loudly, on my manager.    It was appropriate. They knew it. I knew it.  it resolved an issue that needed to be made loud & clear.  

It is all about what is right for a time/place/thread

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

See, hanging up loudly isn't appropriate in my mind. I've done it. I've been inappropriate. But it was a poor way of dealing with someone and not something I'm okay with myself doing. "I can't talk about this. I need to go. I'm saying goodbye now. We can have this conversation when we've both cooled down." , or "i'm too upset to talk about this now." would have been appropriate.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Kimmio, you presume those situations had not occurred or standards of professional conversation had not occurred.  Yuo also presume the behaviour of the other person.

My point is, there are times when what appears to be rude is absolutely the right action.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Different strokes. Some people will view what is and isn't appropriate differently, I guess.

carolla's picture

carolla

Mendalla wrote:

... Personal attacks should really be limited to board members and related for the most part. ...

This statement made me laugh Mendalla!  I understand what you meant, but it just struck me funny wink

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I presumed you hung up loudly on someone. That's it. That's all you told me.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

carolla wrote:

Mendalla wrote:

... Personal attacks should really be limited to board members and related for the most part. ...

This statement made me laugh Mendalla!  I understand what you meant, but it just struck me funny wink

It sounds like only board members should be allowed to attack each other. A bit like Parliament. ;)

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Then, imagine the various scenarios that could cause someone to make that choice, and why it would be appropriate.  

The loudly is because a quiet hangup woud not be heard.

The hangup is because the other natural comments were not heard.

The hangup is because the swearing is so bad, the fist banging is so aggressive, the screaming is so loud....and that the person has been out of control long enough it is not good for them and no end is in sight.

There are good reasons to take an action other than what would normally be expected.  My point is, moderators, like others, need to look at the whole situation, not the isolated word or sentence.

A good moderator, like a good parent, manager, employee, understands situational rules

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I agree. Just wondering why a "I can't listen to your swearing. I'm saying goodbye. Click." wasn't as good as a loud hang-up, though?

carolla's picture

carolla

Pinga wrote:

A good moderator, like a good parent, manager, employee, understands situational rules

For sure pinga - the code of conduct represents a standard against which to evaluate, and will, IMO anyway, not be an absolute dictum in most cases.  I imagine good/effective moderators need to have maturity and a reasoned approach by which to understand context.  We have a good number of those people here in WC - I trust they will guide us fairly.   

carolla's picture

carolla

Kimmio - your comments are going off topic to this thread, IMO.  

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Sort of off topic- just getting to the bottom of why it's okay to deal with disagreement aggressively, with aggressive language or whatever. Whether the initiator or the moderator. That's a conduct question. I agree that problems will come up and they need to be dealt with.

Add:.I guess I'm talking about a general tone / attitude, if we all keep in mind (including me) it might help lessen conduct problems. It can't be 'legislated' though. It just has to be felt.

Back to Church Life topics
cafe