Jobam's picture

Jobam

Who remembers Renovations 2000

Where you there? Did you implement anything you gleaned from this conference?

Share this

Comments

AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

I was there!

Jobam's picture

Jobam

Lol...well two of us. I am curious as there was a lot of energy at that conference....lots of ideas and things that other denominations were doing. It changed my life thus had a major influence on the things I do today. It would be nice to know how folks put some of the things they learned into practice.

spiritbear's picture

spiritbear

Was that the one that was held at U of Waterloo?

AaronMcGallegos

I think the one at Waterloo was the second one, though I'm forgetting the name of it. I was there too. 

I was staff at the Renovations 2000, so I probably came away with different learnings....like don't be person who takes responsibility to deliver the big helium tank for ballons if you have to ride the subway :-)

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Dare I ask what happened Aaron??? LOL!

Arminius's picture

Arminius

Well, they started renovating the United Church of Canada, and are still at it. An ongoing project, eh?wink

That's what the Protestant Reformation is, to me, anyway: ongoing reformation, renovation, evolution, change.

AaronMcGallegos

The helium bottle was about 5 feet tall. So I ended up having to bring it down in a taxi! And I broke my back in the process!

Jim Kenney's picture

Jim Kenney

I paid my own way there, and it was money well spent.  The next event had a more dramatic title, but delivered less from the reports I got.  I still use stories told by presenters in my messages and stories.  Renovations 2000 pointed the way to completely rebuilding the church, but inertia killed or slowed most of the great ideas.  It was held at Ryerson.  One of the good parts was talking to people from across Canada where good stuff was already happening, like effective small group ministry in a church in Thunder Bay.  The presenter I remember well was Roy Kallestad, the senior pastor of Community of Joy Lutheran in Phoenix.  I still have most of my notes in a filing cabinet drawer.

The reality of day to day survival, dealing with anxiety in congregations by imposed changes by society and aging demographics, and  shortages of time, resources and energy was and is a serious barrier.  However the roots of Emerging Church and the changes that have transformed many congregations can be traced back to that event.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Aaron, I had this vision of you on the subway with a leaking container of helium - and all the passengers suddenly having higher pitched speaking voices - LOL!

Back to Church Life topics