graeme's picture

graeme

Crimea, Ukraine and the lying north american news media

I'm surprised by the lack of comment on the recent tension in Easter Europe. I have never seen the North american press lie as it has lied on this issue, how it has put hatred before information, and how it has obscured most of what happened.

1. The affair really began when street mobs staged a coup against the government. That is against the UN charter. But the west promptly recognized the unelected people that the rioters put in office.

2. Rioting like that doesn't just happen. It takes money, time, organization, coordination. There are reliable reports that those elements came from the US government - and that seems almost a certainty. But most of the North american news media never even mentioned it.

3.The new (unelected) president of Ukraine is an international banker. Ukraine owes huge sums to those banks. The president has said Ukraine will immediately begin an austerity programme to pay its debts. That mean Ukraine becomes another Greece with massive poverty and virtually no social services It also means that most of the financial aid we are so generously providing will never reach the Ukrainian people. It will go straight to the bankers.

So there's another hint to what this crisis is about.

4. Putin reacted the only way he could. His major naval port in the south was going to be taken away. So he told his troops to keep the Ukrainian troops at a distance. I'm not saying Putin is a nice guy. He's not. But his reaction was the intelligent one, deliberately aimed to avoied being provocative.

And he did not invade Crimea. He had a long term agreement to have troops there.

5. So the US charged him with offending the UN charter by taking action against a neighbouring government. None of our news media seems to have noticed that the neighbouring government was an illegal one - and if offended the charter just be existing.

6. The western powers, especially Canada, reacted with wild irresponsibility, with threats that could have dangerous consequences. The only one who kept his cool was Putin.

6. Then they charged Russia before the UN, seemingly not noticing that taking warlike actions against other countries, including mass murders and destruction of whole societies, has been a feature of American foreign policy for most of its history - epecially in the past fifty years or so. (Harper took a strong position for two reasons. He was toadying, as he always does, to the US. And he wants to get the Ukrainian vote in the next election.)

The honesty of the North American news media has been on the skids for some decades - and that includes the most prestigious papers. But we've never before seen lying on this scale.

It also launched a personal hate campaign against Putin, with the not very subtle implication that Putin is evil - and he is evil because he is Russian. In other words, this is racism.

The only person who emerges from this with a sound reputation is Putin.

I wondered about the low profile kept by Obama. He left the public statements to people like Kerry. That's odd. I wonder if he was actually ever in control of what was going on.

graeme

Share this

Comments

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

NSfW

See video

(i like the Canadians and Tina)

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Lol! Where do you come up with this stuff. Better question, how'd the writers come up with it?

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

The propganda machines are out in force. Meanwhile...This speaks volumes about this conflict.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/shortcuts/2014/may/14/hunter-biden-j...

What are the chances that the Vice President of the US's son just woke up one day and decided...I think I need a career change. I'm going to get a job as a head of the biggest gas company in....Ukraine? Bold move. I'm almost amazed at how bold it is. No conflict of interest at all there...ahem...perfectly appropriate. Yeah. Hardly being covered over the din of the propoganda...as the public the world over is being forced to take sides. Wars get fought and people die over a thing that wasn't really the thing, but it gets made into something it wasn't to serve other interests- they have us believe it's about something else... we get manipulated into believing it. From both sides- propoganda. People put their lives on the line for it. I really hate it when that happens. What is really going on, you have to wonder. Poor Ukrainians. Most of them just want peace and some food on the table.

It's tragic. Is this really about Ukrainian unity, about seperation, about ethnic Russians. I still don't know the difference between a Ukrainian who speaks Russian and an ethnic Russian who's Ukrainian, I understand that most people know how to speak both, and did anyone there really care before all this crap was stirred up? And what's an ethnic Ukrainian in Ukraine vs. an ethnic Russian in Ukraine? They share culture. They both eat perogies and borscht for example. The cultures are more similar than different. There are commonalities between the Slavic languages and all the splits that lead to differences are so historically complex that it makes no sense to me today that people should be fighting over that unless they've been manipulated into it. I read the names in the paper and I seriously can't tell who's an ethnic Russian in Ukraine and who's a Ukrainian. Ukraine has only been a seperate country for 23 years after the fall of the USSR- so many still feel nostalgic for it and many don't. There's a long, long history. The borders have changed. The people are just people who share common roots, but may have political differences. This could have been figured out politically not militarily unless it's about more than politics.

So in 2014, is it about Ukrainian sovereignty, about peoples' republics, about thugs in ski masks fighting other thugs in ski masks and who's behind the ski masks? No, it's not. Not really. It's about power over resources, people are an afterthought, and get used as pawns in a high level game. But as soon as civilians die it becomes about something it never was. It definately isn't about ending oligarchy and corruption. There's oligarchy and corruption galore on all sides.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

This is a good development, I hope. To bring down tension and fear so that people can start talking sense again. But why did it have to come to this in the first place?
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/16/world/europe/ukraine-workers-take-t...

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

See video

See video

Espresso TV

Espresso TV's youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/espresotv

Unicorn chaser

See video

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Seriously, what the heck is happening over there? I read up on it daily from different sources. I just hope a reasonable solution is reached soon.

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

See video

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

He's an odd duck from the future isn't he? Okay. But what about the Chechnyn guys in east Ukraine? They are something fierce. Nasty dudes. The whole thing's a mess and it's not all the US's fault. Russia took Crimea, then had a snap referendum to say it was legal. It's all very strange. That must've been planned well in advance. Now all these rebels in the East popping out of the woodwork all of a sudden. I couldn't imagine waking up one day in a different country when I hadn't gone anywhere, governed by guys in ski masks carrying machine guns. What's anyone supposed to do about that. The average people don't want them there. Those people are just not visible because they're not leaving the house.That's not exactly good foreign policy- rebels in ski masks forcing a 'government'. I can't remember where I read it but a couple of weeks ago, they interviewed a young guy in one of the towns about his opinion of it all, and all he said was, "There are too many crazy people carrying guns in my town." Scary stuff. And the Kiev government fighting back is no less scary. It's weird because you see these scenes- it looks surreal, the fighting there. Not much different from the streets of small town Canada.

I actually want to know what's happening in the towns there. What is the reaction of the people? I found this article but it almost reads like something out of the Onion. Apparently it's a real newspaper.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/4552653-candy-giveaway-by-rebels-in-uk...

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

isn't he a hoot?

he's an atheist zionist jew (damned more than three times)

who got a job in an industry that he didn't know anything aboot and became hugely succesful, being responsible for such people as michael jackson

who gets asked for and does interviews with ME & Saudi Arabia media

who has been writing a huge book aboot everything that he probably will never get finished (but which he has published  bits of in things like 'genius of the beast', 'the lucifer principle', 'the g_d problem'...)

and he is witty

and on ukraine:  the real cause is that unicellular life should never have become multicellular...that was the original sin for which we are paying again and again :3

it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall there -- heck, you CAN be a 'fly on the wall' there, Kimmio.  learn ukranian and then you can grok some of the links i have provided above :3

my friend from russia has said that the Cetch Nee Ayns are very popular as bodyguards over there because they have the reputation of being very fierce

its amazing how different people react to different bits of meaningless dirt (called 'countries').  sometimes i think all of our Leaders are engaged in a vast wrestling match, where it appears they are shouting, putting each other down, hitting each other with chairs, but really, they are putting on a show

a show that, much too often, kills and hurts people

and Smiler, the POTUS, keeps on smilin.  Poutine keeps on cynicing.  the corrupt Ukranian government keeps on corrupting...

and i watch, eating my carrots and cabbage (i'm constipated for the first time in my life -- strange not having a BM every day...)

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

A fly on the wall there? Uh, no thanks. I've got other plans for the summer. Like, I'm planning not to go to Ukraine. Haven't narrowed the plans down any further- but the plan not to go to Ukraine is a go. But you go ahead...After you....! It would keep you 'regular'. That's one way to do it. Lol!

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Sorry Inanna. I was joking. Just a 'riff' from your joke. I didn't think you might be having a health worry.

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Kimmio,

i give you permission to laugh at me any time you want -- life is too short to be serious, especially if i have a terminal illness (which it looks like i don't...well, asides from aging...)

helps keep one young as well

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

news doesn't have to be dry

See video

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

also, to give you more insight into Smiler's US

See video

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

explanation of Putin's "NATO" -- Syria, China & Iran

See video

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

a fly on the wall view

there's a radioactive lake, tourism attractions around the corruption & decadence, weddings, robot massage chairs oh my!

Back to Global Issues topics