gecko46's picture

gecko46

Earth Day, April 22, 2010

Since tomorrow is Earth Day, posting a quiz.  If you have children it is a good way to alert them to conservation.  If you don't have children, take the quiz anyway - it's fun.

EARTH DAY QUIZ.
1.  What is an ecosystem?
a) It is a place having unique physical features—including air, water and land—supporting plant and animal life.

b) It's a process to name newly discovered plants and animals.

c) It's a popular computer game.

2.  What is the symbol for recycling?
a) The Earth with a heart on it

b) Three arrows that create an endless loop

c) A gold star

3.  How does planting trees help our environment?
a) Trees help clean the air.

b) Trees provide homes for birds and other animals.

c) Trees help reduce pollution in water.

d) All of the above.

4.  Which uses less water…a shower or a bath?
a) A shower

b) A bath

5.  Which of these things is NOT recyclable?
a) Foam drinking cups

b) Plastic bags

c) Cell phones

6. What is composting?
 a) Posting information about the environment online

b) Pulling weeds in your garden

c) Recycling scraps of fruit, veggies and other organic materials by planting them outside

7. What is a carbon footprint?
 a) A dinosaur fossil

b) A measure of the impact our actions and daily activities have on our planet and the climate

c) A cute picture you made with your feet to give to mom

8. What is the greenhouse effect?
a) When you mom decides to paint your house green one summer

b) When the weather gets warmer and plants start growing in spring

c) The rise in temperature the Earth experiences because certain gases in the atmosphere trap energy from the sun to warm up the Earth

9. What does it mean when food is organic?
 a) It is food that is made or grown without the use of chemicals and pesticides.

b) It won't taste good.

c) It was made while someone was playing the organ.

10. Which of these things is something you could do to help save our planet?
a) Turn off the water while you brush your teeth

b) Ride your bike to school

c) Remind your parents to bring reusable bags when you go grocery shopping

d) All of the above

Share this

Comments

gecko46's picture

gecko46

Disney’s OCEANS
April 14, 2010

A new film by Disneynature, in partnership with Participant Media (producer of the social action campaign for this film and for the Oscar-winning “The Cove”), is set to be released on April 22nd—Earth Day’s 40th birthday. This documentary uses the latest underwater technology to chronicle the three-quarters of our Earth that is covered by water. While the film is a spectacular celebration of the diversity of life within our oceans, bringing awareness to the beauty and importance of this vital ecosystem, it also touches upon the issues of overfishing, bycatch and global warming’s impact on polar bears.

gecko46's picture

gecko46

HAPPY EARTH DAY, everyone.

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

Hurray!!  Thanks Gecko for posting! 

So, my kids took litterless lunches today (quite willingly) and we're thinking we might re-do Earth Hour tonight.

I've got a long list of stuff to share, but maybe let's hear from others first.

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

and I guess its Green of me to bump this back up with another idea or two...

I'm going to walk dogs and not watch tv.

I'm going to re-start my backyard composting today, rather than just community based program - better for my garden, for my kids and my region has trouble managing their organics anyway.

gecko46's picture

gecko46

Give Earth a hand | Greenpeace International
www.greenpeace.org

Watch the new inspiring Earth Day video from Greenpeace and get involved! The Earth needs more people like you who care about environmental issues, more people who will use their voices to defend it - and more people who will take action to protect it.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/getinvolved/give-earth-a-hand

joejack's picture

joejack

I almost canvassed for Greenpeace a few years sago when I could still walk.  I went to the meeting and saw people drinking coffee out of STYROFOAM cups and doing other environmentally friendly things.  I told them, "No Way," even though they were paying on commission.  Today, I went to a local mall where, in spite of the fact I'm walking with a cane, was approached to help clean up the city.  I noticed they were barbecuing, eating off paper plates, drinking from styrofoam cups, etc.  Of course, it can be confusing in some major North American cities.  When someone says, "Kiss the ground" you don't know if its connected with earth day, the police have confused you with a wanted felon, or someone's trying to rob you. 

gecko46's picture

gecko46

I agree Joejack - sometimes the folks at Greenpeace send the wrong messages or confusing messages.  Some of their volunteers are not very well informed.

Nevertheless, as an organization it is trying to raise awareness about global issues...so hafta look at the good side.

cjms's picture

cjms

I switched to a complete vegetarian diet 3 weeks ago and continue to try and find ways to reduce my carbon footprint.  Lots of things to do!...cms

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

good luck Cjms!  We're still only partly veg, but have a local/family-owned almost organic contact for beef/pork.  We don't eat much though.  And tonight its a veg-stirfry for supper.

carolla's picture

carolla

I went to High Park this morning to see the cherry trees in full blossom - beautiful.  I think I recall that they were a post-war gift of peace from Japan.  There were many, many Asian folks out to enjoy the scene.

Then we went along Bloor to a new cafe across from the park - Cafe Novo -  vegan, gluten free cookies!  Fair Trade organic french press coffee!  Real cups & spoons - and a compost bin for tea bags etc.!  Sitting in the sunshine!  Quite lovely.

After lunch I went to the wildflower meadow that I tend & spent 3 hours cleaning it up and transplanting some new  wildflowers, in the company of robins and two Canada geese.   The meadow is right in the city centre area - so lovely to have that small oasis of nature.

Hilary's picture

Hilary

Carolla --

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

ditto

my friend was heading to High Park as well.

I'm having trouble finding info on where to buy Terracycle rain barrels.  Any ideas?

generic guy's picture

generic guy

I am not doing anything special.  I already don't drive a car and use public transportation.  I don't fly (too much fuel consumption, I take the train except to Europe, obviously) and I don't use AC in my house. I eat only organic food and use minimum electricity around the house.  I compost and give it to a friend. I recycle a lot.

carolla's picture

carolla

Did you try Home Depot Birthstone?   They sell some of the other TerraCycle garden products I think.  Might have to go the US if not available here .... ROADTRIP!  

Oh wait ... RoadTrip ... not environmentally sound ... shop local!!

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

Genericguy - good to  meet  you!  You get a pat on the back from me ;)  I've got a car, but I've also got 2 kids & 2 dogs - hard to drag them behind on my bike.  lol

Ahh Carolla - there is the problem.  Hey!  Better idea - I wonder if Niagara on the Lake has used wine barrels to convert?  I wonder if my sweetie would do that.  I wonder if my water for my plants and washing my car woudl smell like oak-aged cabernet sauvignon?????  mmmm  

I've heard HD sells Terracycle, but it isn't listed on the website -  just fancy expensive plastic ones.  Or really fancy, really expensive wood ones.  I've also heard that Terracycle ones might have a splitting problem, but no word whether the owners drained them properly before winter freezing. 

Hilary's picture

Hilary

Birthstone wrote:

I wonder if my water for my plants and washing my car woudl smell like oak-aged cabernet sauvignon?????  mmmm  

Probably not bad for the plants, but I'd worry if you washed your car in wine and then got pulled over.  "I'm not as think as you drunk I am, Occifer..."

carolla's picture

carolla

Birthstone - a friend got a really nice wooden waterbarrel from RONA last season as a gift for her husband (he's a water guy!) - it did split & needed signicant repair unfortunately.   Did you check with the city to see if they've got any?  Probably plastic, but maybe with a good amount of recyled material? 

Back to Global Issues topics
cafe