Jobam's picture

Jobam

I'm Gay: The 50 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2012

I'm Gay: The 50 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2012

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2012/12/2012_gay_coming_out.html#ixzz2GjvUS7Ql

Share this

Comments

mgagnonlv's picture

mgagnonlv

I just looked at it and have the following observations:

–  The list is very U.S.-centric. I think I know only three people on that list: Sally Ride and to a lesser extent: Ellen DeGeneres and Lana Wachowski. Most of the names are perfect unknowns to me.

–  There are very few females on the list. Yet, as far as I know, homosexuality is equally prevalent amongst females.

–  Very very few spouses are mentioned, and in other mediatic outings we rarely hear about spouses.

In a nutshell, I don't like very much to hear that so-and-so is gay or lesbian. What I'd like to see is an artist or a politician climb on stage (on election night, for example), and raise hand and kiss his or her same-gender spouse. As Québec's long-time humourist said (on a totally different subject, I must add), "on ne veut pas le savoir, on veut le voir !" (we don't want to hear about it, we want to see it).

Basically, when Agnès Maltais kisses her wife on stage on victory night (or maybe the new Premier of Ontario if one of the front runners win the Liberal race), then homosexuality won't be an oddity to hide in the closet anymore.

Back to Global Issues topics
cafe