Jim Kenney's picture

Jim Kenney

True Costs of Major Projects

After Presbytery last week I got into the start of a discussion on the Northern Gateway Project.  Some members who I suspect have connections to the petroleum agency were adamant that accurate information about the project had not been properly presented for public discussion.  They were were upset by the GC 41 decision, seeing mostly benefits that were being risked.  I would like to see a comprehensive analysis of the project and some alternatives including the following:

1.  Financial and social costs during construction incurred by all parties

2.  Range of possible effects of the  bitumen being brought to an ocean port on world oil prices under the various scenarios that are possible:  when there is a perceived major shortage of available oil; when there is a perceived slight shortage of oil; when there is a previously balanced supply of oil; when there is a slight existing surplus; when there is a perceive significant surplus; and projections of the likelihood of each of these scenarios.  (we in Alberta are too aware of the effect on oil prices of a somewhat significant surplus of oil on the market -- see what happened to our economy in the early 80s and again at the beginning of the 90s.  A surplus of a few percent in supply can cause a decrease in market price of more than 50%).

3.  A more complete analysis of environmental and social costs of other aspects.

Share this

Comments

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

Sometimes I see these 'projects' large and small and wonder if anyone has figured out the real value of a tree?

How many creatures live in or on it?

What happens when we rip out trees? 

What legacy will we choose to leave for future generations?

Jim Kenney's picture

Jim Kenney

And those are more examples of the true costs.  Others include long-term health impacts, loss of future income prospects, social emotional issues that come with devaluing everything other than material wealth, etx.

graeme's picture

graeme

We're going through that big time right now in New Brunswick. Both the Liberals and Conservatives here are owned by large corporations. The largest of them all also owns the only daily newspapers.

usually, we get no reports at all. Under pressure, we'll be told a little, but only from the side of the industry. The newspapers (BrunswickNews) function simply to disperse triviality and ignorance with the occasional burst of propaganda.

graeme's picture

graeme

I should add that the big issue here right now is fracking for shale gas.

Back to Global Issues topics