Pinga's picture

Pinga

Trouble? -- Pageant & Santa Claus

So, picture the hunt for a White Gift service....we are running late on the planning, I find one on the United Church site. 

It seems relatively easy, a few voices, a few actors...spots for everyone that shows up last minute.

It wont' be a typical service, and so, will be the play with a number of hymns, and bible readings. seems good.

We practised it a bit on Sunday, assigned parts, went through the basics of reading.  Next week wil be the first walk through, then the next Saturday the dress rehearsal.  Cutting it short, but you can do that when you have readers & actors.

Then tonight, I saw it.....the dreaded....oh crap, the play outs that Santa Claus isn't real.  

so...folks..how much trouble will i be in.

Here are the lines.

MOTHER: Well, don’t peek! You need to have some surprises. And besides, Santa Claus will bring most of the presents after you’re asleep on Christmas Eve.

CHILD: Um, Mom. You keep saying Christmas is about more than presents and trees, but you still want to pull that Santa Claus fairy-tale stuff?

MOTHER: Maybe you’re right. I don’t know how Santa got into Christmas in the first place. I think it must have had something to do with a legend about Good King Wenceslas. So…do you want a Christmas stocking this year or not?

CHILD: Can I have another big present if I don’t have a stocking?

MOTHER: No! You’re getting enough stuff, anyway. Besides, it’s always a hassle shopping for things for stockings. I end up buying stuff just because it fits in a stocking and not because you really want or need it. I think I’m going to do away with stockings this year. That’s one thing we can do to be more “Christmas-like.” How about if we donate the money we’d spend on stockings to a charity? You pick which one. Or we could make our White Gift bigger this year.

Share this

Comments

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

It was worth the grey hairs and sleepless nights. Good for you, Pinga and congrats to all who were involved.

busymom's picture

busymom

Wow Pinga!  What a journey you've been on.  I just found this thread this afternoon.  I admire how much thought and energy you've put into this, and used it as a learning and teaching experience for all of us.  Well done friend!  Sounds like it went really well.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

I'm glad to hear it went well - despite the headaches involved!

We had a dress rehearsal for our Christmas Pagent this morning after church - so I could relate to your story of your dress rehearsal yesterday. We had new kids showing up, kids who did not want to be involved and Mary and Joseph were nowhere to be found. Still - I have faith that it will go well next week! The script is excellent (and quite funny) and the actors with lines have done a great job learning them. As lead angel it will be my job to heard my angelic crew up the aisle, make sure they are properly seated at the front and then to read a part of the scripture. After it's all over, we'll have a cast party downstairs in the youth room.

seeler's picture

seeler

Congratulations Pinga on a job well done.  It certainly brings back memories - oh, the years I spent in the background directing the children in their various roles.  looking back - I loved it.  Would I do it now?  Not on your life!   I'm a senior (I think I'll start pulling that excuse more often.)

We're understaffed at our church right now.  White Gift service in church consisted of having people drop a gift into a basket at the back as they entered the sanctuary and having the teens carry them forward to place under the tree during the lighting of the Advent candle.  Perhaps they did something in Sunday School.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

A link to this thread showed up on my FB  this morning.  Maybe the UC really does need the WC after all?

http://www.ucobserver.org/features/2013/12/santa_sanctuary/

chansen's picture

chansen

Exchanging comments in the Observer has really opened my eyes about the UCCan. You still have a lot of conservative Christians, and they're rather angry about people not believing correctly. I wonder if the comments on that article are going to go in the same direction.

mrs.anteater's picture

mrs.anteater

Hi Chansen,

What is the most important thing in your Christmas? I can't imagine it's consumerism.

I am not sure why the Observer dug out this old thread, but the idea of replacing the shopping with something more meaningful and returning to the original legend of St. Nick could be a education worth being taking on by congregations.

I do doubt that it will happen though. It would be hitting a taboo.

Alex's picture

Alex

I remebr my minister suggesting that in the 70s when I was a kid.

Besides the only myth that is believed about Sanata Clause is the one when parents belive that their Kids believe it in. As soon as I heard about Sanata,(age 4)  I called BS and my older brother confirmed to me that it was. 

Alex's picture

Alex

I remebr my minister suggesting that in the 70s when I was a kid.

Besides the only myth that is believed about Sanata Clause is the one when parents belive that their Kids believe it in. As soon as I heard about Sanata,(age 4)  I called BS and my older brother confirmed to me that it was. ( he only wanted me to help look ahead of time for Santas hidden presents in my parents closets.)

It was nice of the wiiter to refernce WC, it might result in more attention and traffic.

seeler's picture

seeler

I think that age 4 is a bit young, yet my son was questioning then.  I think I was six or seven when I put all the clues together (size of the world, flying raindeer, discovery of a Santa gift hidden in the woodshed, giggles of older children).  I really doubt if there are many kids over seven who still believe.  

My sister insisted that we be careful what we said around her children, because they (at 10 or 11) still believed.   That same year my nephew told me in strict confidence, "Of course I don't believe in Santa.  But I let Mom think I do.  I get more presents that way."

My theory - let the kids pretend - pretend if you wish - but don't take it seriously. 

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Seeler - I did what your nephew did too. I figured it out when I was about 7 or 8, but I think I was 11 before I told my parents that I knew. It was fun to pretend!

chansen's picture

chansen

Matt81's picture

Matt81

That is best poster of the Santa/Jesus thing I've seen in a long time.  I'd like to copy it and put up in the church.  would be good in a sermon too. 

thanks

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Agreed, Matt.

Reason: most of the stories re Jesus are so changed by adults......over the years.

Would be good to get back to the core story, yes?

Back to Parenting topics
cafe