UCC-GCO's picture

UCC-GCO

United Church Expresses Concern for Attawapiskat First Nation Chief

The United Church of Canada has written to Prime Minister Stephen Harper asking him to meet with Attawapiskat First Nation Chief Theresa Spence, who is now in the second week of her hunger strike. Read the letter here [PDF].

http://united-church.ca/files/communications/news/general/121219_letter.pdf

Share this

Comments

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Redhead, you missed the point.  Most media campaigns and programs are about timing and involve lobbyists, even the solid grass roots campaigns have been strategized by marketting aware folks.

many programs have gone up against Harper's political engine, and the conservative population of canada.....and haven't been successful.    We liberals & Ndp's seem as of late to be really good at the stuff that makes lots of noise, but no change.

This one is too important to fit into that category....which is why it is depressing to me...shitty timing for support,  wondering how far it will escalate.

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

Pinga: Timing? Come on… i do not think the sorts of strategic thinking you are describing come into this: a hunger strike is not a photo-op or a press conference — it's a deperate sacrificial  act: it's triggered by a crisis that should not exist … there was no going on in other ways. Harper is right in asmuch as he has talked with native leaders; he shows very clearly, however, that he has HEARD nothing. And HE is the one with spin doctors, strategies and legal teams. These are rare resources on a Reserve.

I have just heard Amanda Todd's suicide being discussed carefully, sensitively and with real concern on Boxing day afternoon on CBC.  I have never heard the same sort of discussion taking place about the epidemic of child suicides in indigenous communities, partucularlty in the north. Native women and children in Canada are horrendously victimised and vulnerable. 

Where would you decide to be as a community leader? How would you act? Imagine that you are watching misery deepen all around you as another winter bites, watching more of your friends and relations drifting deeper and deeper into self-destructive ways, hopelessness,  despair and depression… at the same time knowing that the agreements (treaties) that promised compensation for the usurpation of your lands and livelihoods are being ignored, equivocated and fudged while those lands are broken open to enrich others and sustain a far wealthier population in the south? Wouldn't you be angry? Might you not be driven to do whatever you could to attract the attention of the one person who has the power to make a difference… something that will get your people's plight talked about and perhaps addressed? Even if it cost you your life?

Theresa Spence is clutcing at a straw, not a strategy. And even that straw is proving itself despicably unworthy.

That the deprivation and privations of indenous peoples are NOT being talked about with any compassion, far less urgency, embarassment or outrage, by the mainstream media, by the people in that wealthier southern region, by our polticians and by our communities is an indictment of us ALL… all of us who are responding weakly or not at all.

EWe are ALL Canadians in this, we are ALL "Treaty People"… there is no way to justify "us" and "them attitudes here. No way at all!

stardust's picture

stardust

I'm just looking for answers and hope. I know I'm not very well qualified but I think the situation is horrendous no matter who is at the center or what's involved.....hunger strikes are serious.

Interview with Edward Corrigan, an international lawyer from London, Ontario.
The indigenous people in Canada continue to suffer under systemic and institutionalized racial discrimination, an international lawyer tells Press TV.

First Nations history

Pinga's picture

Pinga

mike, but why doesn't it come into it.  Why is ther eno sense of using some of the skills that are out there for real change.  Just admitting that I see so much of this as futile against the machines of the right, especially given that it isn't a popular conversation or a feel good.  Gun control, sure, that is a good one in the states  with lots of public pressure flying in, including the rich & famous.  Raising money for the other such as Haiti or Thailand after a natural disaster, yup, that will get people together.  true change . or recognizing treaty rights - 

I am just sitting here pondering, i guess...

stardust's picture

stardust

Hold on to your hats....I'm going on a WATER RANT......a first....because this is a big concern of First Nations re bill C45. There's differing opinions with one being that the provincial gov't or some other legislation will cover the unprotected rivers and lakes. I don't know, its a bit complicated. Elizabeth May who surely knows says this is a federal issue and may be contested in court. I'm posting lots for anyone interested.

Here goes:

Protecting Canada's lakes and rivers: Bill C45

Nathan Cullen, NDP House Leader and MP for Skeena Bulkley Valley, raised navigable waters as a top issue of the 2012 in his year-end conference call with local northwestern B.C. reporters, saying:

"It means the removal of almost every lake and river we know from the Navigable Waters Protection Act. From one day to the next we went from 2.5 million protected lakes and rivers in Canada to 159 lakes and rivers protected. The Skeena is one of the few that was saved but none of its tributaries. You name the river, you name the lake and it is no longer protected by this act, and this has nothing to do with the budget that the government rammed through, it has everything to do with pipelines, because you are able to now are able to ruin navigation and not trigger an environmental assessment."

Canada's major media seldom bothered to explain to Canadians the consequences of removing protection for the lakes, rivers and tributaries, either before or after the passage of Bill C-45. (There was one story in The Globe and Mail that had a good summary, but even that was too Ottawa-centric.)

The first time Navigable Waters was mentioned recently on CBC's The National was by Rex Murphy and Murphy treated it as a joke, as an example of dull, political process in Ottawa. The threat to Canadian waterways is not a joke, including for those people in rural Newfoundland and Labrador that Murphy always purports to support.

The National hasn't touched the story and that, my former colleagues, is a major failure for the news service. Even in its current diminished state, the National has a mandate to tell the stories of all of Canada.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/robin-rowland/navigable-waters-protection-act-media-fail-idle-no-more_b_2356595.html

Elizabeth May:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/10/18/pol-navigable-waters-protection-budget-bill.html

May said the changes were being made without proper review or engagement with the kinds of groups present at the news conference. She said she was hopeful at least some Conservatives would reconsider in light of "growing" public concerns.

"I don't think any Canadian would have ever imagined — even the people who voted Conservative — that they would propose to eliminate the navigation protections over 99.5 per cent of the waterways in Canada," May said.

May wants to investigate the possibility of a court challenge, based on the federal government voluntarily withdrawing from an area over which it has responsibility under the Constitution.

John Bennett:

"By taking away protections of water, we're opening the way for privatizing water in Canada," he said. "Those rivers that aren't protected, there will be no defences now to those governments that want to privatize them, export our water, or sell us our own water in the future.

"It's being pretended that this is somehow an efficiency. It's a big lie. They're out to steal our resources and give them to other people. That's why Canadians should be concerned," Bennett concluded.

Transport Canada says that the right of navigation in any waterways not protected under the new act are still protected by common law. Provinces or municipalities still could regulate activities on waterways not included on the federal list.

May disagrees, saying that under the Constitution, the rights of navigation on waterways can only be protected by the federal government. Large-scale resource development projects may not fall under other jurisdictions.

"It's hard to put into words how devastating this is," May said. "The entire framework of environmental laws is being systematically destroyed in Canada."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/story/2012/11/27/pol-artists-navigable-waters-act.html

E. May

Thanks to our first Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald, Canadians have had the historic right to navigate the millions of lakes, rivers, and streams of Canada without being impeded by pipelines, bridges, power lines, dams, mining and forestry equipment, and more for 130 years.

Thanks to current Prime Minister Stephen Harper, that will no longer be the job of the Government of Canada.

If your favorite lake or river is not mentioned in Bill C-45, you’re out of luck.  Chances are, it’s not; only 62 rivers and 93 lakes are on the list.

See lists and read comments:

http://elizabethmaymp.ca/is-your-lake-safe

The original Navigable Waters Protection Act prevents anyone from any construction that may interfere with navigation of any body of water in Canada. The original purpose of the act was to prevent dams, bridges and other potential blockages to transportation popping up without the government’s knowledge or ability to do anything about it.

The new act will eliminate these protections for the vast majority of water bodies in Canada.

While the government maintains that it’s about reducing red tape for everyday Canadians who want to build small footbridges and docks at vacation properties, the opposition argues that it’s part of a systematic destruction of environmental protection across Canada.

http://o.canada.com/2012/10/22/its-open-season-on-canadas-waterways-is-your-favourite-lake-or-stream-protected/

Some people say there's no problem...?

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/showthread.php?113034-Protected-Rivers-and-Lakes-in-Canada-is-this-true

Northwind's picture

Northwind

Mike, I agree with your comments. I think this act is a last ditch effort to make changes. It seems that Chief Spence has tried regular ways to effect change to no avail. She and others like her have been blamed for their situation. Her community is not able to use the resources around them. They cannot go out into the woods and collect their own wood to build houses. They are at the mercy of the government. The same government that blames them. Further, there is a mine, or something, in that area that benefits from the resources in the area. Why are they not helping the community of Attawapiskat.

I live in an area where there is oil and gas. At least two of the FN communities in our area do receive moneys and jobs from the companies that work in this area. Still they have other problems that continue, and for which there are many causes.

I am glad that Chief Spence has taken this action when she has. It has triggered much discussion in this country, not all good of course, but people are talking. Hopefully Harper will come to his senses and listen to her......if he has any senses that is.....

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

Thanks Stardust: this is indeed one very big issue… there are scores of such big issues from coast to coast, and they all can be approached and addressed by addressing the underlying basic flaw in the whole system… which is the failure to address indigenous rights and realtionships… not in the past, not in relation to this issue or that issue, of the Metic  of the Inuit or the First Nations all as small separate little entities, but in the foundations of Canadian polity — they are crumbling because the constitutional issues that establish just ways of balancing prior rights and interests — ways that do not do the wreak the kinds of damage that are so evident today — have NEVER been addressed, not at Confederation, not by provinces, not by ANY Federal Government…  and the injustices and the damage they do (NOW, day by day) are reaching a position of intractability.

The denial and racism MUST end. We are living in a fragmented country. The fragmentation is a blight on ALL of our systems: education, health, defence, justice, housing, the economy… naked piecemeal opportunism is not "government": we are all losers the way things are.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Who knows, maybe Northwind, with enough voices raised, something will shift.

I am worried that her health will be signficiantly impacted or others, as SG indicated, who are also doing hunger strikes, not prepared, not cared for properly, or of poor health to begin with...

The house is not back until Jan 28th.  Chief Theresa Spence has been on a hunger strike since Dec 11th.  That is 48 days.

I read this...not sure if it is factual.

One of the most well known cases of voluntary starvation, is the hunger strike of Mahatma Ganhdi. During his protest, Gandhi ate absolutely no food and only took sips of water for 21 days, and survived. What extraordinary about this case is the fact that Gandhi was very lean when he started his hunger-strike, thus not having much energy reserve from the outset. Also, it must be noted that during his life, Gandhi is reported to have performed a total of 14 hunger strikes.

In a 1997 editorial in the British Medical Journal, Peel briefly reviewed the available literature regarding human starvation. Generally, it appears as though humans can survive without any food for 30-40 days, as long as they are properly hydrated. Severe symptoms of starvation begin around 35-40 days, and as highlighted by the hunger strikers of the Maze Prison in Belfast in the 1980s, death can occur at around  45­ to 61 days.

sorry for the reposts, can't get format right.

stardust's picture

stardust

stardust's picture

stardust

Sorry if I'm boring but I  just want to share what I'm learning as I've been reading up on the problems.

Bill C38 - also  read comments

What is Bill C-38?

Bill C-38, also know as the Omnibus Bill, is the "Jobs, Growth and Long-term Prosperity Act," introduced on April 26 to implement the 2012 Federal Budget. It introduces, amends, or repeals some 70 federal laws in a single bill, and the Conservative government has motioned to limit debate.

Critics, including former Conservative ministers, say it undermines democracy by repealing, amending or overhauling so many pieces of legislation in one bill, without allowing time for debate.

1. Bill C-38 guts environmental legislation and 'streamlines' the environmental review process to pave the way for rapid approval of industrial mega-projects like the Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline in northern B.C., the Alberta tar sands, and Quebec's Plan Nord. 

2. Various aspects of Bill C-38, including changes to the environmental assessment review process, violate the federal government's obligation to consult with First Nations and accommodate First Nation Treaty and Aboriginal rights.

comments:

Some of the biggest shockers to me are the blatant all out attack on our Environment.

It repeals the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and introduces a weaker version, without a single day of hearings before the environment committee, and it is at the discretion of Peter Kent and mr. Harper.

It removes protection of endangered species and their habitat, when approving pipeline projects, by amending the Species at Risk Act and the Navigable Waters Protection Act.

It guts the Fisheries Act by removing provisions for habitat protection.

They are hunting for reasons to damage the reputation of environmental groups and charities by requiring them to provide more information about their political activities and their funding from foreign sources. We can all remember the Conservatives attack on "Environmental and other Radical groups"

(Note: 5 Dec 2012 – June 13, 2012 Passed That Bill C-38, An Act to implement certain provisions of the budget tabled in parliament on March 29,2012)

stardust's picture

stardust

I was looking for an update on Chief Spence. I don't have a date for the CBC one on this link.

It was still a good Christmas for the kids in Attawapiskat:

A few years ago, the community rented a small airplane and it tossed out gift vouchers. They wanted to do it again this year but could not find a plane to rent. So they decided on the cheekily named “Holy Throw” from the church roof instead.

Each Frisbee bore a number that corresponded to a prize at the community centre. More than $4,000 worth of gifts were given to those who grabbed the Frisbees.

Chief Spence Exclusive Interview - CBC - see 2nd video on page

another blog

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

All Canadians are Treaty People: respecting the treaties, respecting indigenous Canadians and ensuring their cultural, social and material livelihood is a fundamental justice issue.

Prime Minister Harper does not have to submit to "blackmail" as some have called it — he simply has to show some responsibility, compassion and a concern for justice. That's a fair call on a Prime Minister.

Read:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/12/30/can-theresa-spence-politicians-solidarity-protests.html

Today is DAY 21 of Theresa Spence's hunger strike.

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

Joe Clark gets it!:

Canada, First Nations headed in ‘dangerous direction’ as Idle No More hunger strike continues: Former PM Joe Clark

Canadian Press | Dec 30, 2012 7:11 PM ET
More from Canadian Press

Fred Chartrand / The Canadian Press
Fred Chartrand / The Canadian PressSpokeperson Danny Metatawabib, right, delivers a statement on behalf of Attawapiskat First Nations Chief Theresa Spence, centre, as she meets with the media prior to meeting members of parliament in Ottawa on Sunday.

A visibly weak Chief Theresa Spence made a brief appearance on Sunday — in Day 20 of her fast — as a parade of politicians and protesters turned up the volume to demand action from the Harper government on treaty issues.

Through a spokesperson, the chief of the Attawapiskat First Nation said she was “deeply humbled” by the support she’s received from aboriginals and non-aboriginals in her appeal for a face-to-face meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Governor-General David Johnston.

A demonstration in support of her hunger fast took place at Toronto’s Eaton Centre, where protesters crowded a section of the mall in a loud, but peaceful gathering.

Robin Rowland / The Canadian Press
Robin Rowland / The Canadian PressMembers of the Haisla First Nation march in Kitimat, B.C. as part of a rally in support of the Idle No More movement on Sunday.

A smaller crowd backing Spence assembled in Calgary outside of Harper’s constituency office. The chief acknowledged the outpouring from members of the Idle No More movement, but called for other First Nations leaders to also step up.

“This is a call to arms and a call to action in the most peaceful and respective way that reflects our natural laws as Indigenous nations,” she said in the statement.

“First Nations leadership need to take charge and control of the situation on behalf of the grassroots movement. We need to re-ignite that nation-to-nation relationship based on our inherent and constitutionally protected rights as a sovereign nation. We are demanding our rightful place back, here in our homelands, that we all call Canada.”

Spence invited MPs and senators to visit over a two hour period Sunday at her teepee, situated on an island in the frozen Ottawa River looking up at Parliament Hill.

Former prime minister Joe Clark, the highest profile visitor, made an appearance Saturday, meeting with Spence and issuing a statement that said honest conversation can often lead to common ground.

Clark, who was a Tory prime minister from 1979 to 1980, says friends of his in the First Nations community had suggested he meet with Spence, chief of a remote reserve in Northern Ontario.

Dean Bicknell / Postmedia News
Dean Bicknell / Postmedia NewsFormer prime minister Joe Clark is the highest profile guest to visit Theresa Spence. He said honest conversation can often lead to common ground.

Clark says he found Spence to have a “humble and achievable” vision and adds that those no longer in active political life may still have a role to play in helping discussions resume.

Clark says says he’s concerned Canada and its First Nations are “headed in a dangerous direction.”

“My experience has been that direct and honest dialogue is always useful and sometimes essential, particularly in dealing with issues as complex and multi-faceted as the relations between First Nations and Canada,” his statement read.

“Chief Spence expressed a humble and achievable vision — one which I believe all Canadians can embrace.”

Other current politicians, both opposition NDP and Liberals, issued similar cautions, but also expressed concern for Spence’s health.

Fred Chartrand / The Canadian Press
Fred Chartrand / The Canadian PressAttawapiskat First Nations Chief Theresa Spence, centre, prepares to meet reporters prior to meeting members of parliament in Ottawa on Sunday.

“She’s a very determined woman and she’s heard the message from others that she’s done what people think she needed to do, but she noted that the prime minister has not talked to anyone, or put out a message that he is willing to meet with leaders, and that’s all she’s asking for,” said New Democrat MP Paul Dewar, who was among 16 of the party’s politicians to be invited inside.

Both Dewar and fellow New Democrat Craig Scott said they were worried about her condition.

“She’s very peaceful in her demeanour, but that goes along with being quite weak now,” said Scott. “She talks about sleeping more than she had earlier, in the first two weeks. I think it’s very clear it’s starting to take a physical toll.”

Concern is strong enough that some have urged to give up and let Opposition politicians take up the fight — something Craig said tried to convey to to her.

“I spoke directly to her and said: ‘You know, you’ve done more anybody could expect one person to do, and there’s no reason you and you alone should have to carry this burden.’ And she said: ‘It’s my burden to carry.’ “

Spence stopped eating solid food on Dec. 11.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I find this so depressing, as I don't think Harper will do anything unless pressured by external governments who will be hesitant to reign in  -  past-President of the US, Jimmy Carter might have been able to.

stardust's picture

stardust

For our friend and sister Chief Theresa Spence:

May the stars carry your sadness away,
May the flowers fill your heart with beauty,
May hope forever wipe away your tears,
And, above all, may silence make you strong.
- Chief Dan George

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

This is… 

------------

"Aamjiwnaang citizens and Sarnia Chief of Police charged with contempt of court

Where: Sarnia Court House, 700 Christina St.

When: Wednesday, Jan 2nd, 11 am

Aamjiwnaang citizens and the Sarnia Chief of Police have been served with contempt of court charges, stemming from a failure to remove the ongoing blockade of CN Rail. An injunction was served to Aamjiwnaang on Dec. 21, though both the Mayor of Sarnia and Chief of Police has not enforced the injunction, as the blockade has remained peaceful.

Ron Plain

(226) 932-1516

ronplain@activist.com

-------

… revealing.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi All,

The following is the text I just e-mailed to my MP Phil McColeman (Con)

Dear Mr. McColeman

I am writing to you, as a constituent in the riding of Brant, to express my concern for the health of Chief Theresa Spence and Prime Minister Harper's refusal, so far, to arrange a meeting with her.

While I respect that no government wants to be coerced into action in anyway, least of all by its own people, I do not think that the health and well-being of one person is something any government should be willing to sacrifice.

I empathize with the various governments of Canada (on a Federal and Provincial level) not knowing who it is who has the authority to speak for any particular First Nations grouping.  Living here in Brantford, for most of my life has made me very cognizant of the divisions within the Six Nations Reserve with respect to leadership and negotiation rights.

I also empathize with the optics of intimidation that agreeing to meet with Chief Spence provides, how that would be problematic among Conservative Party supporters and how it could open the door to similar protests from others in the future.  I suspect that you must also be aware of the optics of apathy that are already being seen in Prime Minister Harper's refusal to agree to a meeting.

That said, a life hangs in the balance and if a life is considered less important than optics then all of us need to spend some serious time reflecting on what it is about Canada that is of real value.

I am not aware of any consultation process that has taken place with respect to amendments to the Indian Act with the First Nations communities that are parties to that act.  I suspect that consultation with respect to amendments to the Indian Act has been on par as any amendments that would directly impact upon me.  While that is reflective of an inherent equality I believe it fails to address the reality that I, as a citizen of Canada, don't expect to have much sway in political discourse than is available to me through the normal means of contacting my local representative or casting a vote in any election.  Our First Nations brothers and sisters regard themselves as separate, sovereign nations and as such expect that any amendments to Canadian legislation that impacts upon them reflect the consultation that any international treaty would involve.

I am afraid I cannot offer any advice on how to address that issue moving forward.  I respect that our First Nations brothers and sisters will have many ideas and that consultation with them is not an unreasonable expectation.

With that in mind I hope that you would counsel Prime Minister Harper to, at the very least, agree to meet with Chief Spence.  Whether that meeting provides grounds for resolving current problems or not is less important, in my mind, than whether or not the Federal Government will simply watch Chief Spence die because it cannot afford the optic of appeasement.

I recognize that all of the issues involved are extremely complex.

Saving this one life at this point in time is not.

With respect,
Reverend John Maich.
MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

Northwind's picture

Northwind

Here's an article from Michael Harris on the topic: http://www.ipolitics.ca/2012/12/30/harpers-gamble-with-first-nations-rage/

But there is also the possibility that the PM’s calculation will prove to be the biggest mistake of his political life, and one of the national tragedies of Canadian public affairs. And all because Harper has turned what should have been an exercise in emotional intelligence into just another game of political hardball.

Here's hoping he comes to his senses, such that they are, and if he doesn't that this does prove to be his undoing.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

This showed up this morning on my FB page.  I wonder if any other denominations have spoken up?

http://news.anglican.ca/news/stories/2552

waterfall's picture

waterfall

In the past couple weeks we were witnesses to the horror in Newtown. The gunman took his own life and we all felt cheated by that. We were denied the opportunity to intervene, prevent and later to realize what happened because the one person that could have provided us with so much insight was denied us. He was silent and only gave out minor clues to the horror he was capable of. We all wish we could have prevented the death of so many adults and children. Why didn't he just turn the gun on himself?

Now here we are facing a woman that is clearly disturbed by the refusal of Politicians and the people of Canada to notice that her community is dying. She is turning the "gun on herself" so to speak to draw attention to the sickness that has overtaken the situation that she finds herself in. Do we notice? Will we act? There is nothing hidden, it is on the table. What will we do with a clear of message that says HELP?

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

If I lived closer I would be honored to form part of a Silent Vigil nearby. 

stardust's picture

stardust

Toronto Star Jan.2/12

Ethics of a  hunger strike:

Like the teachers, Spence also claims she is fighting “for her people.” The key difference is that instead of expecting them to pay the cost of her actions, she is paying it herself. She’s not asking others to give up activities or rearrange their lives; she’s bearing the weight on her own shoulders.

My point, emphatically, is not that teachers are wrong and the chief is right. Rather, the point is that sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures; from an ethical perspective, actions for which a person pays themselves are easier to justify than those for which others are required, perhaps unwillingly, to pay.

In a context where leadership is embodied by the tawdry likes of Stephen Harper, Dalton McGuinty and Rob Ford, it’s hard to remember a day when acting sacrificially on behalf of your people was considered noble. And, in those halcyon days, sacrificial living sometimes, sadly, meant giving up your life. Names like King, Gandhi, Riel, Jesus the Nazarene, Mandela come to mind, among others.

None of these set out to “commit suicide,” nor, I suspect, did Spence. There’s an enormous difference between taking your own life because living is unbearable and being willing to give up the life you love for the sake of those you love even more. Canadian soldiers in the Great Wars understood that difference, and I suspect Theresa Spence does, too.

We are, for the most part, civilized people, so watching people suffer makes us queasy. So it should. But real leaders understand that leadership has a price, and you can’t always expect others to pay it for you. Those willing to accept the cost are those, in the end, we admire most.

SG's picture

SG

IMO Our apathy needs to end.

I also believe our excuses need to end. The woulda, shouldas, couldas... the "I would do something BUT...." needs to stop.

Candlelight vigils are being held, or are simply organized. People are gathering for 24 hour fasts or one is easy to begin. Church members are taking pictures of themselves with signs of support and posting them online (They might be better served if they were all on one site to be seen together as volume matters)

One person can carry a sign and walk along a highway.

A whole bunch of people can gather in front of an MP's office....

Local media can be contacted and informed but the best thing is the media is no  longer necessary (good when the media is in a pocket or reads people as being not interested, etc)  It can be posted on YouTube. Look at what people and social media did last summer.

Flash mobs, etc....

Am I practicing what I preach? Yes.  

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Where's the news coverage today?

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

I read " If Haper doesn't visit Chief Spence in her tipi How can he attend her funeral?"

Come on Harper!

Northwind's picture

Northwind

I read that too Tabitha. If there is a funeral, the anger that we are currently seeing will intensify.....

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

Tabitha - I doubt Harper has plans to visit with Chief Spence or to go to her funeral.  Like the underpriviliged children who sniff gas and the poorly educated teens who kill themselves she will just be another unimportant dead Indian.  

stardust's picture

stardust

- December 31st, 2012

(Quote from the link)

This is the statement the Prime Minister’s Office issued on Dec. 20 regarding the Idle No More movement and Attawapiskat First Nation Chief Theresa Spence. It was issued by Harper’s spokesman Carl Vallee and he says it still stands.

The Prime Minister hosted an historic gathering of the Crown and First Nations this past January. Since then, the Government has been working with First Nations leadership to make progress in several areas, most notably education and infrastructure on reserve. In fact, the Prime Minister met with National Chief Atleo on Nov 28 to review the progress to date and to discuss a range of issues.

The Government remains willing to work with Chief Spence, and all chiefs, to deliver better outcomes for First Nations communities.

Minister Duncan has offered to meet with Chief Spence but has not as yet received a response from her.

Parliamentary Secretary Rickford has also asked to visit Attawapiskat to see first-hand the improvements made on this particular reserve, including the construction of new modular homes.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/eyeonthehill/general/full-pmo-statement-on-idle-no-more/

Updates:

Also Idlenomore statements about the  chiefs:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/01/idle-no-more-founders-distance-themselves-from-chiefs/

........and the judge enforces ruling against blockade:

lastpointe's picture

lastpointe

I understand that the chief is drawing attention to concerns.

I agree that something is wrong with a system that spends billions and yet people live in poverty. How and where the money is spent and how and why people are still struggling is a concern for tax payers too. I would love to see the same type of accounting as a city must show to account for how they spend tax payers money

But I do not agree that one citizen can demand a meeting with the Prime Minister and the G G. The precident would be set for any and all.

She has made her point. She has political leaders and really, she should allow her elected leadership to meet, as they do regularly.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi lastpointe,

lastpointe wrote:

I would love to see the same type of accounting as a city must show to account for how they spend tax payers money

I've had easier access to the financial records of Attiwapiskat than I do my own city.

Not that it would be difficult to see the financials of Brantford as a citizen.  It is just that they haven't been hyperlinked in National Newspapers for all to see.

I am also aware that in A Provincial Court of Law, about five years ago a Provincial Judge requested that the financials for all sales of land pursuant to the Haldimand Tract be made available for audit.  There is a discrepancy about whether or not all of the moneys from those sales has been kept securely in trust for the use of the Six Nations Band they belonged to.

The Feds have yet to comply with that order and have not shown any willingness to do so.  The claim at present is that the records no longer exist so tough noogies for the Six Nations.

How is that for transparent financials?

lastpointe wrote:

But I do not agree that one citizen can demand a meeting with the Prime Minister and the G G.

I disagree with you here.  I think that any citizen should be able to demand a meeting with any politician in the country.  Having the politician consent to meet would be at the discretion of the politician.  Either politicians do work for us or they don't.  How well they work for us is an evaluation we make every time we go to the polls.  That so many currently don't is indicative of something.

lastpointe wrote:

The precident would be set for any and all.

It would be precident setting.  There is a question of what the actual precident would be.  I mean, if she gets the meeting does that mean that any Leafs fan wanting the torment of another season can go on a hunger strike to force the PM and the GG to give the NHL a wake-up call?  Yes, actually, it does.  Now leafs fans have been starving for glory almost as long as I have been walking the planet so they would be used to that kind of hunger.

The request for a meeting is not a promise for a specific outcome (other than having a meeting).

lastpointe wrote:

She has made her point.

I rather think that she hasn't yet made her point.  Any points we think we have gotten out of her actions to date are not likely the points that she is trying to make.  At present I think the point is, "who has to die for things to change?"  Nobody really knows the answer, most are hopeful that it isn't Chief Spence.

lastpoint wrote:

She has political leaders and really, she should allow her elected leadership to meet, as they do regularly.

That is, at the very least, a sticking point in the whole history of these discussions.  Quite frankly it was one of the reasons that both the Feds and the Province dragged their butts in Caledonia.

Political leadership among our First Nations brothers and sisters does not currently operate as it did when these nations were actually sovereign.  So on many reservations there is a traditional council which is comprised the same way it has always been comprised and is often not recognized by the Feds or the Province or even neighbouring municipalities and then there is the elected council which is in compliance with the Indian Act and does have the ear of other governements even if it is not recognized by many on the reserve.

I believe that the Feds have not addressed this reality simply because the current unrest it leads to takes a great deal of heat and accountability off of their shoulders.

First Nations governance is, for the most part, a mess of conflicting ideas, opinions and actors.  None of it really any less polarizing than what we Europeans get up to with our partisan politics.

So the crux of any Amendments to the Indian Act is the strong opinion among many of our First Nations brothers and sisters that it is, more often than not, unilateral action and not a matter of negotiation between treaty partners.  Treaty adds a wrinkle to the politics that I generally don't have access to when any level of government amends existing legislation.

I have looked at the Omnibus Bill, particularly where it impacts upon the Indian Act and to be honest I'm not sure what the fuss is.  There are some things which make me scratch my head such as why "Absolute surrender" is used in the Act but not actually defined in the glossary of the Act.  The removal of designated lands from some clauses or sections.

And to be honest, the concern of waterways being made public saleable property while real has always existed.  The Indian Act does not exempt reserve lands from being seized by any government who wants them (I find that not only upsetting but a serious breach of treaty obligations).  The Indian Act permits the expropriation of reserve lands by the Federal, Provincial or even adjacent municipal governments in much the same way those Governments may expropriate private property for public use.

Grace and peace to you.

John

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

CAN YOU join this walk at all? Can you help?

--------------------------------

To All My Friends, I have been asked to send this email out to you with a request for support.

Mark Anderson & 7 other Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug (Big Trout Lake) members will be walking from Toronto to Ottawa beginning tomorrow (3 January) in support & solidarity for Chief Theresa Spence and the 'Idle No More' Movement

http://www.mediacoop.ca/index.php?q=newsrelease%2F15383

I understand their route is taking them from Ajax to Brooklyn and Myrtle Station to Port Perry and along Hwy 7a to Hwy 115 then into Peterborough.  Then along Hwy 7 through Norwood, Havelock, Marmora, Madoc, Sharbot Lake, Perth, Carlton Place and then on to Ottawa.

If you are on or anywhere near their route, they are looking for accommodations, food, and walkers to walk with them to support them.

They also need reflective vest (XL), marking tape (Orange), socks and help in making banners for their walk.

If you would like to help or get updates on their route, please contact:

Walkers Contact: Cecilia Begg elenorbegg@gmail.com     

807-737-0874

Media Contact: John Cutfeet, Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug

807-738-0935

For Idle No More updates on events please go to the following Facebook Groups:

Idle Nore More: http://www.facebook.com/IdleNoMoreCommunity  

Idle No More Kingston: Idle No More - Kingston, ON/Traditional Haudenosaunee & Anishinaabe Lands: http://www.facebook.com/IdleNoMoreKingstonON

Miigwech, Nia:wen , Thank you

Baamaapii, Will Meet Again

Akina Nindinawe,  Akwe Nia’Tetewa: neren, All My Relations

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I wonder if there are churches on the route that would open their doors?

I would be willing to send money to help pay for food or drinks.

DKS's picture

DKS

Pinga wrote:

I wonder if there are churches on the route that would open their doors?

I would be willing to send money to help pay for food or drinks.

I know of a number of United Churches along that walk route;

Myrtle, Port Perry, Blackstock, Janetville, Bethany, Norwood, Havelock, Madoc, and Tweed.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I posted it in te United Church of Canada facebook page.

DKS, do you have a way to reach out to them via any email lists?

Also, has anyone any idea when they will hit which city or how long such a walk will take?

*** editted as used DKS's real first name in error

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

Pinga: information is in my post, above, including:  

Walkers Contact: Cecilia Begg elenorbegg@gmail.com     

807-737-0874

Media Contact: John Cutfeet, Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug

807-738-0935

For Idle No More updates on events please go to the following Facebook Groups:

Idle Nore More: http://www.facebook.com/IdleNoMoreCommunity.

DKS's picture

DKS

Pinga wrote:

I posted it in te United Church of Canada facebook page.

DKS, do you have a way to reach out to them via any email lists?

Sorry, no. You are crossing three conferences and six presbyteries in the names I listed.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

hmm....dang, and for it to go out would be too slow...(historically, i've not seen fast distribution through those channels of information..though it could be just my experience).

thoughts?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I went to the site, Mike, but, there wasn't much info.  I remember there were men that walked from Toronto to Ottawa a few years ago.  Not sure how long it took - was hoping people might remember.

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

Try calling Cecilia Begg at 1- 807 - 737 0874, Ping. Tell her you're UCC and keen to take part. Maybe post a timetable for us all?

carolla's picture

carolla

Pinga - here is the contact info from the churches named by DKS - gleaned from the web - a good number of them do not seem to show websites .  Great idea to have them open their doors -

Myrtle United Church

9465 Baldwin St.N. (Hwy 12) Myrtle Station ON
Phone: (905) 655-4003

……………………..

Port Perry United Church more info

294 Queen Street Port Perry ON L9L 1B9
Phone: (905) 985-2801

…………………..

Blackstock United Church

3483 Church Street, Blackstock ON L0B 1B0
Phone: (905) 986-4235

………………………..

Janetville United Church

http://acountrychurchforyou.com/

……………………………

United Church Bethany And Pontypool: ‎

Relocated from Relocated to Not true? Show all edits Not true?

Placement on map is approximate

3 George Street

Bethany, ON L0A 1A0

Get directions

(705) 277-2204

bpunitedchurch.com

……………………

Norwood United Church

705-639-5216
4264 Highway 7
Norwood, Ontario
K0L 2V0

…………….

Havelock United Church

Ontario, Havelock, ON K0L 1Z0

705-778-3141

…………………….

Madoc Trinity United Church

http://www.wondercafe.ca/churches/madoc-trinity-united-church

…………………

St John's United Church

26 Spring E, Tweed, ON K0K 3J0

613-478-3348

………………….

carolla's picture

carolla

Perhaps contacting one or two churches would start the river of info flowing down the walking route - from church neighbour to church neighbour ...

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Carolla, that is what I was thinking.  trying to see the map of wehre they are walking now.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

k, here is a link to a map of the route, if I did it right.

http://goo.gl/maps/6gQG1

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Redhead has gathered some information, and I have dropped an email to the organizers email.  I will post results.

Those are great church links, thanks, Carolla.

ps.  the email address given for the walkers is invalid. I think I have deciphered the right one, but, Mike if you could check the source of your email, to see if it should be eleanor rather than elenor, that would be good

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

Hi Pinga:

Yes sorry it is:

eleanorbegg@gmail.com

Cheers! Mike

SG's picture

SG

I posted on the United Church Facebook page. Plenty of ministers know each other  LOL

Someone could post on individual church pages if they exist.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Excellent,  I added the churches below it.  Now it doesn't look like I am talking to myself!

DKS's picture

DKS

carolla wrote:

Pinga - here is the contact info from the churches named by DKS - gleaned from the web - a good number of them do not seem to show websites .  Great idea to have them open their doors -

All but Port Perry are small, rural congregations. Web presence isn't a high priority.

Back to Politics topics
cafe