StephenBoothoot's picture

StephenBoothoot

Violence in the Stanley Cup 2012 (and sports)

How do you feel about the violence in this years stanley cuip so far? what message is it sending?

i personally am surprised at the violence and the comments of sideny cosby in a follow up intervies and a coach commenting in a such a manner as 'thats playoff hockey".

im a sensators fan, alfredson got what appeared to be a serious foul hit, elbow to head. He is the captain and a star player, it seems it is natural for a assault on such a offender to occur. A ottawa defenseman did get himself into a shameful display afterward.

i consider the video to violent to post here.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/04/15/rangers-carl-hagelin-suspended...

commentary.

Ottawa Senators forward Matt Carkner has been suspended for one game for continuing to inflict punishment upon an opponent who was an unwilling combatant in an altercation during Game 2 of the team's Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series with the New York Rangers in New York on Saturday, April 14, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

Carkner instigated an altercation with New York forward Brian Boyle, who did not respond. After knocking Boyle to the ice with two punches, Carkner continued to throw punches at his opponent, who was an unwilling combatant. Carkner's actions classified him as an "aggressor" under NHL rules.

The incident occurred at 2:15 of the first period. Carkner was assessed a minor penalty for instigating, a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct.

-======

it doesnt look like it directly relates to alfie's hit.

the other hockley player was top and the senator stood over him repeatedly punching to the other players head.

what should happen? longer game suspensions? longer penaltys? fines? a charge of assault in  situations whcihc seems more like assault than sportmanship.

what do you think?

Share this

Comments

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

You can penalize until you're blue in the face, but until hockey culture stops treating it as "part of the game" and something to be cheered, it's probably a losing battle.

Penalties don't stigmatize it, they become the "price of glory" unless they are harsh enough to really hurt. Suspensions may help but you'll still have the Cherries of the world decrying that as hurting "the culture" which just points back to my first point.

I don't watch the game much (rarely, in fact) and when I do, I prefer international hockey (e.g. the Olympics) where there is more emphasis on speed and skill than on how to take the other guy down. And even at that level the "hockey culture" is still there, they just have to be more subtle about it because there's less tolerance for violence.

Mendalla

StephenBoothoot's picture

StephenBoothoot

Mendalla wrote:

You can penalize until you're blue in the face, but until hockey culture stops treating it as "part of the game" and something to be cheered, it's probably a losing battle.

Penalties don't stigmatize it, they become the "price of glory" unless they are harsh enough to really hurt. Suspensions may help but you'll still have the Cherries of the world decrying that as hurting "the culture" which just points back to my first point.

I don't watch the game much (rarely, in fact) and when I do, I prefer international hockey (e.g. the Olympics) where there is more emphasis on speed and skill than on how to take the other guy down. And even at that level the "hockey culture" is still there, they just have to be more subtle about it because there's less tolerance for violence.

Mendalla

i agree much, it is too accpeted as part of the game, and some penalties seem treated as a acceptable strategically , and i think sometimes players skate to the box to do their 'time' with a smile and a pat on back, maybe, seems that way.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I'm concerned about it due to the riots last year. I hope people learned from that and nothing like that happens again. I do think that the violence in hockey culture, and too much beer, are not a good mix.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

I am a lifelong hockey fan and someone who abhors the violence in the sport. I've been thinking that, in cases where a player is suspended for injuring another player, that the suspension should last as long as the injury. This would also mean that the player would not get paid during this time. It seems to me that this might actually get them thinking before they actually attempt to injure someone.

I've been to many hockey games at various levels from junior A up to the NHL level, but my all-time favourite game was a (supposedly) mean-nothing women's game between Team Canada and Team USA in the lead up to the Vancouver Olympics. These women gave it everything they had - there were plenty of clean checks, crisp passes and goals that would make Sidney Crosby's jaw drop in awe. The arena was filled to capacity with 6000 screaming fans and everyone was having a blast! We didn't need any fights or dirty plays to get us into the game - all we needed were some amazing rushes and incredible saves to bring us out of our seats.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I'm impartial to hockey fights.  They don't bother me, but I don't get all excited about them they way some people do.  If there were to be banned, I wouldn't be upset, but I'm not sure if it's neccessary.

I haven't been following hockey lately, although some years I get quite into it.  Not having seen the playoff games, I can't comment directly.  If there were really dirty hits, things like using a stick to hit someone from behind, I think legal charges are appropriate.  It's like boxing, some fighting is legal.  You still have to stick to certain rules though and coming up behind someone out of the ring to attack them wouldn't be acceptable.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Lest we think it's just hockey:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/09/sport/football/new-orleans-saints-bounty/

Mendalla

Back to Popular Culture topics
cafe