Elanorgold's picture

Elanorgold

Living Alone

I have been living alone this week, with more living alone around the corner, and I would like some input from others who do or have lived alone, as to what to expect, advice, what's good and what's bad about it.

Today I am off work and kinda just kicking around, not sure what to do with myself. I've been on the computer alot. I tried daytime tv but it was awful. I talked to a family friend on the phone this morning for maybe 20 minutes and made plans with her for friday. It feels quite strange it not mattering if or when I have a meal, go to bed, get up, or what I do... I can see how a person could let themselves go.

Share this

Comments

carolla's picture

carolla

True words Serena - both time and hard work are essential to healing - either one alone doesn't usually do it.  Finding one's way through grief and mourning is a longer process than many people imagine.  Have a great week - and enjoy Halloween!

carolla's picture

carolla

Hi Elanorgold - thinking of you today, so just popping to say hello in 2014.  Hoping you are well and that you are continuing on your journey of finding new balance points in life .  

carolla's picture

carolla

oops - duplicate post

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

That goes for me too, Elanor. hope this year is good to you.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Don't think she's coming here much if at all these days but I'm in touch with her through other means as are some other WC'ers and she's doing okay. I'll let her know you're thinking of her.

Mendalla

carolla's picture

carolla

Thanks Mendalla

Elanorgold's picture

Elanorgold

Hi Crazyheart and Carolla, Thanks for thinking of me. I look forward to good developments this year. Anybody who wants to get in touch, I should receive my wondermails by email now. I set it to deliver them there. I'm also on Twitter if anyone wants to follow me there, let me know, or send me your link.

I have ups and downs. Mostly leveling out. I've made some friends, and this really helps. Work has become a sanctuary, and source of hugs. Going out with a friend tonight actually. : )  

Listening to Cat Stevens' Peace Train right now. 

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Glad to here from you Elenorgold,

Sounds like some positive changes. Wishing you a happy 2014.

carolla's picture

carolla

Sweet elanorgold!  Here's to a good year ahead.  13 really was miserable for a lot of folks & I'm glad it's over!!

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Hey you, I missed you around here.

Elanorgold's picture

Elanorgold

Hi Waterfall. I wrote to you a while back. Nice to hear from you again too. 

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Elanorgold wrote:

Listening to Cat Stevens' Peace Train right now. 

Love Cat Stevens - especially "Peace Train".

Have a good day, Elanorgold

Serena's picture

Serena

Its an adjustment to live alone and start a new life Eleanor.  Keep going one step at a time

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

I'm finding living alone hard as I  look down the road 10 years until retirement. I just ranted about it in Room for All.

It wasn't my intention to retire solo but it looks like that might be my reality.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

We never know what the next minute, month, year will bring.

I know someone who was 'living' on Old Age Security plus GIS - a tad over $1,000 a month.  Tough going.  Then she met an elderly man whoi nvited her to share his house - they both agreed to separate bedrooms and no romancing.

In exchange for a comfortable place to live she makes most of the meals, does most of the light housework (they have someone coming in to do the heavier work).  and makes the grocery list. He already owned the house and continues paying the taxes and regualr bills like electricity.   It is an arrangement that suits them well - they watch out for each other, take care of the other during times when one is sick and enjoy each others company.  The man eventually made her the beneficiary of his will (he has no family).  

She had never thought of something like this coming into her life, but she is happy with how it is working.  

carolla's picture

carolla

that's interesting kay - and for sure, we never do know what's around the corner for us!

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

OK a plus of living alone (or almost in my case).

A friend at work invited me to phoenix for Easter. She has an airline credit to use. I have enough airmiles. We have borrowed another friend's condo. (It belongs to her husband's work). And so for under $150 I'll have an adventure.

Youngest-will be busy with work shifts. Other 2 not coming home.

carolla's picture

carolla

AWESOME - freedom and adventure!  I like that scenario! 

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

This seems like the perfect place to wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day.  Remeber happiness is not just about being in a romantic relationship. Consider all the ways you are blessed.

For me: my kids

a job I like

reasonable health

a painting workshop this weekend

and that's a short list.

Take care my friends

carolla's picture

carolla

well said tabitha!  Love life :-) 

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Live in the present (I know it is hard.)

Back to Relationships topics
cafe