heyheyitsbrent's picture

heyheyitsbrent

$10.5M Ad campaign

Having spent most of the last year in United Churches all across the country, I can definetly see why the UCC has directed this campaign towards the 30 - 45 age demographic, and, based on the amount of research done by various statitions and advertisment agencies, I'm sure it will be effective in accomplishing it's goal, ie. bringing new people through the door. The problem I see with this is that now that people are through the door, what is being done to keep them there? My experience tells me that most congragations are severly lacking properly trained leadership people. I think this concern needs to be addressed, and funded, concurrently, to support the intrest that this initial step has taken.

Thoughts?

Brent R.

Share this

Comments

bsanfree's picture

bsanfree

Addressed? Funded? Spend money to make money. I think this is a great idea. It's about freakin' time the "establishment's" got with the times. In this fast paced society we've all created, time is definitely something we all have forgot to cherish. It's the only constant other than death that is out of our control as a society...past, present and future! Time to use technology the way it was meant---to gain knowledge and information to make us all better as people and as a society in general. Not just MONEY! Listen to me loud and clear on this point, the only reason why I checked this out is because I've been thinking about this exact scenario for the "Churches" all over the planet for a long time...they are losing ground and fast---not rocket science. And they haven't figured out a way yet to charge me. Still wondering...if they're smart enough to do this, then I trust they will be smart enough to leave that topic alone for awhile. I'm just glad they finally took the plunge because I was waiting for "The Church of MSN" to beat "them" to it! About time you "higher powers" came out of the closet...wait 'til they figure out what a web-cam is all about! Keep up the good work boys and girls of decision making land and let's do this right...with your heart and souls and not our pocket books and then you've got a winner...trust the ex-cable guy that has connected this planet to the internet & tv land and been "inside" everyone of your homes for the past 15 years and watched the demise of the "family" unit in the process...you know who works in mysterious ways and He hasn't even begun yet. Touche! Knock, knock, anybody home? Priceless, I might "ad" and now watch the "rest" follow...let's go!

heyheyitsbrent's picture

heyheyitsbrent

I think you're missing my point. I think it is a good idea, but if you step foot inside a almost any United Church, never mind heart and soul, you'll be hard-pressed to find a pulse. The leadership is lacking. Most churches I walk into I get lost before I even have any human contact. We need to do something to keep newcomers in the church, and I don't think a massive pipe organ, hard wooden benches and a chorus of 10 people singing at them is overly attractive to today's society.

As a side note, I wonder if the statitions found any coralation between choir gowns and the number of voices in said choir. Just a thought.

GordW's picture

GordW

AS a part of the Emerging Spirit campaing (of which this website is a big part) there is going to be a bunch of training events for congregations on "Living the Welcome". That may address some of what you are raising. ANd it is a very important point because I have been to worship in congregations that described themselves as "warm and friendly" when they did a fairly poor job of welcoming me as a guest in their midst.

Excavator's picture

Excavator

Hey there - if you're looking for a pulse - even a heart beat in regards to leadership by the minister and congregation, and if you live in Toronto, head to West Hill United Church - or check out the web-site ... www.westhill.net. You will be very surprised!! I left the United Church for over 9 years and when I went back, I found myself here ... where I wasn't told what to believe, where I found engaging, inquirying people and a meaningful worship service - where my brain wasn't left at the door upon entering the Church.

heyheyitsbrent's picture

heyheyitsbrent

Thank you all for your thoughts. I am glad to hear that something is being done in the way of training, although the cart might be slightly ahead of the horse here. West Hill is definetly on the right track, as are a handfull of others. McClure United in Saskatoon, that funky one that looks like the UC logo, somewhere near Halifax, to name a couple. I guess I'm just glad to hear that people really do care.

benchmark's picture

benchmark

Churches will have to choose to be part of the campaign meaning that not all congregations will be participating. The United Church is (as I read in another post) united not "unified". I think you will find may of the churches with a "heart" and many without. The training being provided will certainly help us to welcome those who choose to come across our door. I just hope that people will try more than one congregation so that they can find one that not only has a heart, but one in which they find the community they crave and God alive within the congregation. The UCC has a lot to offer.

Christina's picture

Christina

I too would like to see more support for new models of ministry. The reality is - change is very difficult for many churches. I fear there will be few places for the seekers who respond to the advertising campaign. Organs, choirs, and a certain style of liturgy give comfort and meaning to many people. I do not advocate taking that away from anyone. On the other hand it doesn't give meaning and comfort to thousands of others. A community which values the message and uses a different medium to present it, is unlikely to be found in the majority of long established churches. The issue of sufficient resources (people and financial) is every day reality here. The programs must be in place before the people will come. Past models of church planting are no longer effective.

heyheyitsbrent's picture

heyheyitsbrent

I would like to see a sort of retreat center established for new leader training. A place where individuals can go for a week or so to hone their skills in music, and community building, as well as how to engage the youth, and how to make religion applicable in the 21st century. I hope these next few years will be an exciting time.

leigh's picture

leigh

I too love that the United Church is getting with a few new programs and know that each church will need to make this campaign their own as well as keeping "warm and friendly" a reality. As to the training of people in diverse leadership styles, music, meditation and the latest social, political and theological trends from around the world the United Church, as others, do have these. If you are a "classroom" type person try St. Andrew's courses in Saskatoon about Jesus or about the rural economy! If you are more a retreat centre person, Calling Lakes in Fort Quappelle, Naramata Center in well, Naramata (BC) as well as Ontario's Five Oaks Center have good, diverse and year round training.
Ok enough advertising.
Back to can each church live out their faith in a relevant enough way to be open to whoever comes to their doors? How do we be inclusive to all if that means homophobia sitting in the same pew as homosexuals? Again, I end in questions, still pondering all it means. L

MadMonk's picture

MadMonk

People who are ministers are usually the neediest people I have ever met. Either they were geeks, unpopular in school, or failed miserable at something in life (marriage or work) and decide to become a minister where they are given power, popularity, and a paycheck.

There are exceptions to every rule. But I've found it to be true.

Christina's picture

Christina

As a minister, you certainly pushed some of my buttons! What a big paintbrush you use. I believe I was called to ministry by God. I am still happily married and not running away from a failed career. I'm not sure what you mean by 'geek' and why it should be a negative value. Needy? Sometimes more than others. Power hungry? Abuse of power being one thing guaranteed to get my attention and ensure a pro-active response - don't think I fit there either. Imperfect but still trying to answer God's call pretty much describes me. It also describes most others in ministry that I know - regardless of denomination.

The United Church of Canad has a lengthy and intensive process for people seeking to become an ordered minister or lay pastoral minister. Does that mean a perfect process? Of course not. It does mean ordinary fallible human beings are called, trained, supervised, challenged and supported in their journey towards ministry. There is ongoing accountability and oversight throughout our service to the church.

godmeows's picture

godmeows

First, I think the title of this discussion is misleading. The $10.5 million is being spent not only on the ad campaign but also on the creation of this website and the training seminars in the various congregations.

I think the ads are great. Through them, I feel like the church is focusing on how it can become relevant to communities today, how it can bring value to people's lives, and how it can be a place where people feel comfortable just being who they are.

I am not a minister, but I think the comment made in this discussion about ministers was unfair. The fact that this discussion is even happening on this website is due to the leadership of many people within the United Church who are not power-hungry but who are simply seeking creative ways to have a positive impact on the world, whether or not this results in "followers". They are trying to reach out to portions of the population (i.e. people who shudder at the thought of organized religion for various legitimate reasons) that are most likely to reject the church and its values. This takes courage and a general desire to connect with people and accept them.

Besides, many of my favourite people are total geeks.

godmeows's picture

godmeows

Getting back to the initial topic that was posted here (got distracted by my rant in defense of good ministers!), I agree that it is very important to make sure that the attitudes expressed in the ad campaign are actually reflected in congregations. Whether or not that can happen, I don't know. But I think this is a step in the right direction. Things needed to be shaken up, and I think this will be effective in that regard. Even if church membership doesn't increase, this isn't the point. I think the point is that the church is doing something that actually engages people on an intellectual, spiritual, and social level, all with a serious dose of humour. I like it.

sylviac's picture

sylviac

heyheyitsbrent See how fast they kick you out if you tell them you dont believe in the ordination of homosexual ministers.

Penn_Webb's picture

Penn_Webb

Great discussion!
I think ordination of women and homosexual people did as much for real equality as votes for women. (see Emma Goldman the Anarchist for more on this)
This does not have the feel of money to lure folks in to sponge them of their money, I think the united church folks are trying to reconnect with people because they are one of several denominations that tries to add something to the world and remain in it, not just stand on the sideline whining about hell and handbaskets. Their style is not mine in how worship happens, their structures and hierarchy make me nervous, but I think they are open to self examine and that they build themselves from grassroots up. I'm a fan not a member. I think the very existance of this discussion site is a witness to openess on their part. Thank you United Church!

RedRoddy's picture

RedRoddy

Oh my god, $10.5 million. This must be the most expensive lonely hearts blog on the web. I mean, there are so many other outlets for desperate, lonely people with no one to listen to them and their gripes. Surely the UCC has better uses for its money that this! Surely there are marginalized people out there who don't have the middle class outlets of wondercafe patrons. Not everyone has this kind of access or time to be surfing the web, moaning about pastors, lay leaders, parents, friends, partners, etc... It's like one big whine-fest. Meanwhile there are thousands of people out there in our communities who have real problems.

Lord save us from ourselves and our selfishness....

Back to Religion and Faith topics
cafe