RobbieJean's picture

RobbieJean

"The Call"

I would like to pose a question to those who have considered ministry or are in that field. What was your "call" to ministry? Was it a specific event or vision, or something more subtle? I am asking partly out of curiousity, and partly because I personally have not experienced a specific event, but rather it just seems like the natural path for me.

I am graduating this year with my Bachelors Degree, and until a couple of years ago, I was dead-set on becoming a teacher and moulding minds and all the challenges that come with it. However, I have begun to seriously consider full-time ministry as a career, and I figure I need to explore this option. I am already a Sunday School teacher, or whatever the title is right now, so I have had a taste of it.

So, what called you (or someone you know) into Ministry?

Share this

Comments

Tyson's picture

Tyson

MC jae wrote:

not4prophet wrote:

Pardon the ignorance but what is UU and what is it's relation to the United Church of Canada?

UU is a delicious drink from America. It's available in chocolate, strawberry, lite chocolate, and double fudge.

Isn't that Yoohoo?

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Tyson wrote:

MC jae wrote:

not4prophet wrote:

Pardon the ignorance but what is UU and what is it's relation to the United Church of Canada?

UU is a delicious drink from America. It's available in chocolate, strawberry, lite chocolate, and double fudge.

Isn't that Yoohoo?

Ah. I was trying to figure out what Jae was alluding to.

Mendalla

Jim Kenney's picture

Jim Kenney

I believe Unitarianism in Britain had its roots in the English Presbyterian Church which became quite humanist.

not4prophet's picture

not4prophet

Thank you Mendalla for sharing an understanding and clarifying the relationship. 

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Rather than statements of faith I should have said their statements of Principlal fit well with my own.

Sorry, Mendalla if I botched up the description and thanks for clarifying.

chansen's picture

chansen

Would UU's mostly consider themselves as "Nones", then?

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

In a stoic religious world of any excess of extremes it is best to be un-none ... if you were ... the stoics would step on you as something to be confronted and competed with as the religious of any sort doesn't like anything, none thing or metaphysical thing to get beyond them ... and still they don't like to ponder how they accomplish this flateneing of thought ... as in platitude ... a flat dark whing like word that is abstract and can be continuously added to ...

I mentioned this to one WC member, off line, that the local UU turned me oof becaus the man wished everything stated a succintly as possible and still hate the condensation of all-that-is in the androgynous word of God ... in this way Levite is out of the light like Christ in a tome/toem/bo'que or however you'd like to alter the word ... redaction being so common that we have trouble with disambigation ... a discursive element even though we have cursers on the screen ... as independant powers ... floaters of another sort?

Have a giggle phoqahs ID'll soon be over ...

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

chansen wrote:

Would UU's mostly consider themselves as "Nones", then?

Nones in what sense?

In terms of how we identify as members of a church/faith group, I hope we mostly consider ourselves to be UUs in terms of how we identify on a poll or census. Internally, as I mentioned, we do have hyphenated UUs (UU-Buddhist, UU-Christian, UU-Pagan, etc.) but those are ultimately still within the broader definition of UU.

Some hyphenated UUs are, admittedly, UUs of convenience. They want a faith group but the one they want isn't handy so they land with us (e.g. I've met pagans who go UU because they haven't found a pagan group locally or have issues with the local groups).

To some extent, I started in UU at this level. I was a Christian who wasn't really a good fit theologically for any mainstream Christian groups because my notions of God, etc. had been shaped by an interest in other spiritual and philosophical traditions. In the end, though, UU proved to be the tradition most amenable to my overall outlook and I felt that I'd moved far enough from my Christian roots that I dropped "Christian" from my spiritual identity.

If you mean in terms of believing in/faith in a deity(ies), I'd say most of the UUs I know would either be non-theistic (atheist, agnostic, or a non-theistic religious tradition like Buddhism) or a rather fuzzy notion of "something bigger" without necessarily thinking in terms of a personal deity (just based on experience, though, without having done any polls or anything).

As you can probably tell from my posts around here, my own relationship to "God" as a being or concept is pretty fluid. I'm basically a pantheist (believe in the sacredness of existence without necessarily a personal deity being involved) who sees "God" as a metaphor for our relationship to the Cosmos/existence. I am more or less an agnostic on whether there is a transcendant, personal deity like the Abrahamic notion of God/Allah though I keep probing and exploring my sense of something bigger than me to see if there might be something more "God-like" there.

Mendalla

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

As a believer that wea re a lessor power in a world of gods one must become a non a'Mous ... or Amos as you wile ... and the stroke of fortune was off ... the Arabs called it alief and some said it was graft ... as a bump on a log, or some other journal!

stardust's picture

stardust

Hello there Tyson.....come on in.....nice to see you again heart

I'm not posting so much myself recently. Remember all the fun we had puttin'  the lovin' on Joel Osteen.....us big time sinners fallin' for a married man like that ....adulterers we are..... no regrets .....ummmm...he still looks pretty good, a bit thinner in the face  perhaps.

Back to Religion and Faith topics
cafe