Ichthys's picture

Ichthys

Do you believe in Satan?

What's the purpose of this guy? More than 5 years ago, I have begun to reject the concepts behind hell, Satan, demons, fallen angels and whatnot. While I'm Christian, I just don't see why he has to exist.

In fact, I think it's scape-goating that brought him into Christianity. People didn't understand concepts like the unconscious, dreaming, psychology in general and blamed the devil and demons for their thoughts and the "voices" they heard.

Well, that's my opinion. Do you believe in Satan? 

Share this

Comments

Azdgari's picture

Azdgari

Eating becouse you're hungry is different from eating to survive.  No reasoning is required.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Azdgari,

Azdgari wrote:

Eating becouse you're hungry is different from eating to survive.  No reasoning is required.

The real difference is only what you will eat.  Try some lilypad root, definitely not made for snacking.

Reasoning may not be required.  Hunger is still the best reason to eat.

Grace and peace to you.

John

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Is surviving all that is needed?

It is if you listen to some authority ... then wasn't there something said about spiritual bread and whine ... to attend to the bell Ai? Ai's an archaic expression ... from la Scie of dead words ... one must dig for the understanding ... like in enigmatic syntax ... greis mere ... or just a hazy hoers on the waters ...

Azdgari's picture

Azdgari

revjohn wrote:

The real difference is only what you will eat.  Try some lilypad root, definitely not made for snacking.

Not the only difference.  In terms of thought-process, eating due to hunger requires entirely different thoughts - and a lower level of self-awareness - than eating to survive does..

JRT's picture

JRT

Azdgari wrote:

revjohn wrote:

Doing what one has been forbidden to do would be wrong unless it could be proven not to be wrong and the authority issuing the prohibition repealed the prohibition.

You can say that, because you are a post-Adam human.  Going by the rules of the story's context, Adam doesn't have access to the reasoning you just gave.  He could not possibly have known that doing what was forbidden was "wrong", because he did not have knowledge of what "wrong" even meant.

I agree with Azdgari. In traditional Christian theology one of the requirements for an action to be a sin is that it must be known to be a sin. The context of the myth informs us that the first couple were totally naive in that they only gained the knowledge of good and evil by eating of the fruit. At that point they realized that what they had done was wrong and they hid themselves from God. This attempt to conceal their mistake is what I would regard as the "original sin". Note that God punishes them but does not curse them. Only the snake and the earth are cursed. I regard this as a coming of age story. By eating the fruit and learning good from evil they graduate from being merely animals into full humanity.

What then of mankind? Are we inherently evil? Are we cut off forever from the love and forgiveness of God? Of course not! We are not a people fallen from grace, rather, we are an unfinished people. Evolution is not yet done with us. Every child born comes with an almost unlimited capacity for both great good and great evil. We also come with a six million year old load of evolutionary survival baggage that we have yet to fully overcome ----- the so-called "selfish gene". However, with the amazing grace of God's love we are capable both individually and corporately of transcending our nature. We are the sons and daughters that God already loves and so readily forgives.

buford12's picture

buford12

Azdgari wrote:

Stardust, the question might benefit from more detail.  Which Satan, and which God?

There is only one of each.  God is - He was from the beginning.  Satan was one of His greatest creations - the worship leader in Heaven as it were.  But he wasn't satisfied with being 2nd, so he decided to lead a rebellion.  He was cast down with 1/3 of the angels that decided to follow him.  Those angels in whatever form are the idols and other gods people worship.  They have fooled many - but there is only one true God. 

Azdgari's picture

Azdgari

That may or may not be, buford.  But I was talking about what's in the Bible.

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

One must get outside the bo'quet for the full aroma ...

Is there more beyond mere existence? Being the means of connectivity ... sometimes the weakest linque ... just look around at all the fallout!

Such a love to die for ... Romeo and Jeweli ET ... upstanding prism? It' a refractory thing ... difficult to get into unless your Light ... no baggage? Sets the stage for a grand storah ...

In psyche*IC projection ... bai sis of the dunkan ... devilish baptism of a beauty of creation ... rising from the mire as bits of stone, water, air and plasma (form of light) and the fifth anonymous factor that isolated bits didn't wish to know when passing through the ruagh wadis ... a crude fabrication of the whole thing? Rae nude temple .. bare's ole! You can only see it from the inside as mortal form, what the bear consider's din Eire ... fiesta! Provides thought to the anima ... that's IT EuriKa ... that passing of spirit in a meal ... a love to die for?

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Did you ever get that deep gnawing feeling from the inside like an itch ... that this wasn't the final destination ... IT's not all chi-ite but some fecundity buried in the Torah ... subliminal to a mortal or perhaps superficial in a reciprocal emotion ... UN requited as yetï? One must love the "ich" it's wonder lust ... quantum manna of the brae'n ... fluid semi conductive media! Quantum processor ... Light, IC, below, or myth in subliminal form? Sub terra nin support systems ...

John Wilson's picture

John Wilson

Azdgari wrote:

That may or may not be, buford.  But I was talking about what's in the Bible.

Whaaat? You don't think Milton wrote Scripture? How ...  uh .... unpoetic of you.blush

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

*hands Happy_Genius a note*  "Don't confuse the poor polytheist Christians -- they have enough on their hands thinking their G_d is a 3-in-1 sale at Wal-Mart.  Btw, your fly is low and Dennis from Science really likes you."

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

That's  Hoo Dah ...

budd's picture

budd

I certainly do not believe in Satan; the tooth fairy however i a different story......

Back to Religion and Faith topics