blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Drug Abuse & Christian Divorce

This very difficult subject for me, I see no clear answer. A Christian married is  for better or worse, yet being in a marriage where the spouse is a strong addict with all the lies, abuse, physical or mental , the finical destruction because all of the family income goes to drugs or alcohol .

God created marriage to be enjoyed by husband and wife, and it is His intention marriage be forever, this provides a sound basis to make every reasonable effort to achieve restoration and forgiveness in marriage before taking steps to dissolve a marriage through divorce.  However, the Bible does say that Moses allowed two reasons acceptable as conditions of divorce.

1. Sexual immorality (adultery)

2. Abandonment (physically leaving)

Well what about drug abuse?

Share this

Comments

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi seeler,

seeler wrote:

If, instead of physically absent, your spouse has disappeared into a haze of addition and is no longer the person you married, wouldn't that be the same?

I don't think anyone becoming a mathmatician is grounds for divorce.  wink

Grace and peace to you.

John

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

revjohn wrote:

Hi seeler,

seeler wrote:

If, instead of physically absent, your spouse has disappeared into a haze of addition and is no longer the person you married, wouldn't that be the same?

I don't think anyone becoming a mathmatician is grounds for divorce.  wink

Grace and peace to you.

John

What about if they're a workaholic?

seeler's picture

seeler

John, good catch.  I didn't see that.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Dcn.Jae,

Dcn. Jae wrote:

While I suspect the comment is in jest there is a dark side to the workaholic that is every bit as ugly as any addiction is.

I have seen it place tremendous strain on families and not addressed it has the power to destroy them.

At some point an addict makes a choice between their addiction and the people that love them.  Workaholics are no different.  The chief problem, and it is only one of optics, for the spouse of a workaholic is that the workaholic looks so much like a good provider.

The drive which pushes them to work harder is actually a cancer which eats away at the deep things in life until the day that the respectable shell shatters and folk nearby realize that the "responsible bread-winner" has been hollow the whole time.

What good is it for anyone to get a promotion or earn a raise and the praise of their employer if they have to sacrifice a spouse and children along the way?  Is such a person worthy of admiration or pity?

Grace and peace to you.

John

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

revjohn wrote:

Hi Dcn.Jae,

Dcn. Jae wrote:

While I suspect the comment is in jest there is a dark side to the workaholic that is every bit as ugly as any addiction is.

I have seen it place tremendous strain on families and not addressed it has the power to destroy them.

At some point an addict makes a choice between their addiction and the people that love them.  Workaholics are no different.  The chief problem, and it is only one of optics, for the spouse of a workaholic is that the workaholic looks so much like a good provider.

The drive which pushes them to work harder is actually a cancer which eats away at the deep things in life until the day that the respectable shell shatters and folk nearby realize that the "responsible bread-winner" has been hollow the whole time.

What good is it for anyone to get a promotion or earn a raise and the praise of their employer if they have to sacrifice a spouse and children along the way?  Is such a person worthy of admiration or pity?

Grace and peace to you.

John

Actually that one I didn't intend to be in jest. In would be difficult for me to make light of workaholism. Over the past year one of my siblings marriages has come to a devastating end, largely as a result of her husband caring only about work and financial gain. There were other issues involved as well, but it really came down to her love for family and faith vs. his lust for money.

seeler's picture

seeler

John - I think that this can be true of a lot of things.  Hard-worker is usually a compliment, and usually applied to a man.  But when working hard, getting richer, obtaining material possessions comes before maintaining a relationship with your family, it is not good.  

The same can be said about exercise.  A little is a good thing.  But take it too far and it becomes an obsession and take over your life.  I know a woman who seems driven to exercise - she walks long distances, bicycles 20 or more klms a day (often 50 or more), swims - all to exhaustion.  Regardless of the weather, she is out getting her exercise - winter storms, icy conditions - unplowed sidewalks following a blizzard force her out onto the streets which are narrowed by snow-banks.  But she has to get her exercise.  When she arrives somewhere limping, perhaps bleeding from a fall and someone asks "Why were you walking in such conditions?"  her answer is "I need to walk everyday for my health."  I can see her husband's concern, and his feeling of helplessness.  

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Spousal abuse is an addiction to many ... for they have to prove who's in power ...

There are lesser evils ... and this would be a thoughtful emotion as projected ... Romans thought such sharing was bad as it interfered with their desires to control the whole thing ... a spirit which still hangs on to those that worship power and not moor subtle things ...

Should we eliminate all such spirits and drugs? No mortals need pain to learn anything ... little more nothing ... that is infinite in a stretch ... creates som ankh for those that will not accept nothing not infinite as a possibility ... this type is often moralized! The Eastern Philosophy calls them stuck or statute adherant ... with wee idols in their head ... to be come known as idealism about things that are really motive ... like Cosmopolitan Rotation ... or even Cosmological Swirl ... ethereal chaos? There are those that can't stand the spinning and weaving in the fabrication of a metaphorical mined ... as mined they have gaps ... voids! Careful or you could fall ... Roosevelt --- "carry a long stick ... cross ways"! Hanging in the midst of IT you could be come the beit item in the Nus ...

unsafe's picture

unsafe

blackbelt

The person who is born again is now under Grace not the laws -----Grace does not give us a license to sin but when we do God does not impute sin on us ---Grace gives us the power to stay  out of sin and do God's will for our lives ------airclean33 pointed out prayer --the person will have the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit can and will guide the born again person to the right end -----if in the end seperation or divorce happens  -the born again person is and remains righteous in God's eyes ---God knows we will miss the mark but the more we rely on Him the stronger we get -----

Romans 4:8

New King James Version (NKJV)

Blessed is the man to whom the Lord shall not impute sin.

This is commentary on this ----

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin. As he does not to those whom he justifies in Christ, and by his righteousness; for the sins of such he has imputed to his Son, as their surety; and he has bore them, took them away, having made full satisfaction for them; so that these persons will never be charged with them: they now appear before the throne without fault, and are blameless and irreproveable in the sight of God, and therefore must be eternally happy; for he will never think of their sins any more to their hurt; he will remember them no more; he "will never reckon them to them", but acquit them from them, justify and accept them; wherefore they must be secure from wrath and condemnation, enjoy much peace and comfort now, and be happy hereafter. 

Thanks be to God for His Son who died for us to be free -----

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Dcn. Jae wrote:
revjohn wrote:

Hi Dcn.Jae,

Dcn. Jae wrote:

Grace and peace to you.

John

Actually that one I didn't intend to be in jest. In would be difficult for me to make light of workaholism. Over the past year one of my siblings marriages has come to a devastating end, largely as a result of her husband caring only about work and financial gain. There were other issues involved as well, but it really came down to her love for family and faith vs. his lust for money.

many times work a holics dont work for the money, they work to stay away from home, 

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

unsafe wrote:

blackbelt

The person who is born again is now under Grace not the laws -----Grace does not give us a license to sin but when we do God does not impute sin on us ---Grace gives us the power to stay  out of sin and do God's will for our lives ------airclean33 pointed out prayer --the person will have the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit can and will guide the born again person to the right end -----if in the end seperation or divorce happens  -the born again person is and remains righteous in God's eyes ---God knows we will miss the mark but the more we rely on Him the stronger we get -----

Unsafe do you think there is such a thing as a born again person who is also an active addict ?

unsafe's picture

unsafe

blackbelt

I would call it backsliding -----If the person is Born Again they can backslide ---you see just because you're born again Satan still has access to your thinking and until you renew your mind through knowing God's Word and start casting down  strongholds of the mind you are in fact in danger of backsliding ------ Addictive behaviour is from Satan not God ----the battle ground takes place in the mind -----that is why God says to put on the helmet to protect your mind against the fiery darts of the devil and renew your mind so will will know what is the perfect will of God for your life -----the Bible tells you how to cast down bad thoughts -----Grace gives us the power ---we have to do the work -----God will gladly take the backslider back  ------and will heal their backsliding ----Jesus lives today and so does His word ------People have no idea who they are in Christ and therefore allow Satan to dominate them ------Grace has all the power to heal the worse addict ---they have to come to the end of themselves ----that is they have to hit the bottom --like the guy in the video ----had no friends --parents telling him he couldn't live there ---etc --etc ----  

The carnal christian is of 2 minds ---they are double minded bible warns of this in James -----you are unstable in all your ways -----you believe in the worlds way and you believe God's way ----your only half in one way ----you are better off being in the world totally or God totally ----giving 100% attention to the way you want to go ----

Jeremiah 3:22

New King James Version (NKJV)

22 “Return, you backsliding children,
And I will heal your backslidings.”

“Indeed we do come to You,
For You are the Lord our God.

there are many scriptures on this ---http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/bible-verses-about-backsliders/

Peace to you

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Never, never look back in time ... this would be examining history and authority wouldn't like you to delve into their past ... so many errors to find with in the fabric that is a coverup of the actions of perfect persononae ...

Such is like Egypt however ... just a place of imagination ... to be human is to err ... but there are options ... one could learn from the past if we allowed it in our one-track hommes ... some say mono-deism, deifying (defying, deluding) where we are without any concern for past, or what's coming. HG Wells said few people have comprehension of the time machine and thus those that browse through time are thought of as awkward cows ... Maleificent? "Thinkers on far ranging topics are bad" --- some Roman!

What if in backslinding we get flashbacks of what we did in previous rooms (prior lives)? This would accomodate John 14:2 as common intelligence that is scattered about in spots of variable rooms ... leading one to believe the mind is like a castle of undefined proportions ... difficult for those embedded in statutes to comprehend.

Can you imagine what personae stuck in infinite dimensions would do to entertain IT'self? Such contemplations are beyond the norms ...

unsafe's picture

unsafe

blackbelt

Don't forget there is a Genealogical  Curse-- so the iniquity --the nature of the sin is what is passed down -----which is addiction in this case-----what the person becomes addicted to is what they give their attention to -----I am learning about our imagination is very powerful in our lives ----God gave us our imagination for a reason ---it is the blueprint for our hopes in this life ----but when it is used not for the good of us it is used as the blueprint for the bad in our lives -----when an addict takes the substance they are addicted to right away they start thinking about their next hit ----how will I get it etc they see it in their imagination -----I know this because I use to be a drinker --in my young days --it started slow ---then escalated -- I went to having one drink a day when I came home from work  --the one went to 2 --then 3 ----it started to become stronger in my mind ---thinking about it from work ---just to get home to have this drink ----I would feel how relaxed it would make me at the end of the day  --this is all going on in my imagination at work -----it was starting to control my thinking - I  was a fairly new born again person at that time and was  unaware at that time that I was under Grace and already had the Power to cast down these strongholds of the mind -as I got stronger in knowing God's Word I started to realize that I already had it in me to cast down these pictures in my mind of the drink and how relaxed I would feel  but I didn't know how to do it on my own     ----I was tired of the bickering it was causing in the house ---and I was tired of the constant thoughts and images I had at work toward the end of the day -----I earnestly prayed about how to stop my constant  thinking about getting home to have a drink  ----The Holy Spirit clearly spoke to me and gave me  scriptures to read ----when I opened my Bible to these scriptures it spoke volumes to me ----It was 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 and also Ephesians 6:17--God gives each person the right scripture that speaks to them -----God actually took my thirst for drinking away --my desire for it went and my thinking of it stopped --I was in bondage to it no more --It was so freeing and to this day I have had no desire to drink ------There were 3 of us children ----all 3 of us had a problem with drinking ---I and my one  brother who is born again stopped --My younger brother is so much in bondage to liquor still today ----my family were drinkers and some were gamblers ----here lies the Genealogeal Curse of addiction -----some got cured some didn't -----

Thanks be to God for setting us free ------

Know this Jesus payed the price on the cross for our iniquity -----it is a done deal ---we just have to believe it and receive it -----by Faith through action -----Faith requires corresponding action ----

Isaiah 53:5

Amplified Bible (AMP)

But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement [needful to obtain] peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes [that wounded] Him we are healed and made whole.

unsafe's picture

unsafe

The Power of IMAGINATION - Creating a New Story 

We shouldn't underestimate the power of our Imagination -----it can and does affect us ---

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Is not imagination a part of the soul-psyche complex ... and it was stated that anything to do with thought, knowledge and wisdom was bad to a Roman brute?

Perhaps one has to get beyond that ... outside of oneself to see how odd we look ... sort of like the ogre (bored out) in myth! It is even said that beyond the emotional part that humanity appears a bit stupid to have wasted its gift of intelligence ... as we just sat there and wished it to go as a powerful curiosity!

One author said that curiosity was the most powerful component of mankind ... but perhaps somewhat displaced or what we could call dissociated ... thus the anti-social captions .. like King f(inque) ... a dark character!

The search for excellence goes on ... and what better way to excell than to put your neighbour down? Is it better to do this all on your own ... improving from where you were without comparing with your neighbour?

Na ... that wouldn't work ... excising the neighbour is easier ... although you may be disposing of some grand resources! That'd be the value of the "other" leading to gross complexity! Some authority demands simplicity ... and so it was rendered down ... even in words and simplicity developed. Proof? Have you looked where we're at collectively?

Such alternates, or manifest Cos ... are not well accepted by mortals ... ever get curious about the meaning of "manifest" under various conventions? In one explanation it is the appearance of something that ... just isn't! Some call this character ... and Sufi Scholars say that Hebrew character are those abstract marks travelling across the page opposing the western way ... like disconjunctive ... or anon associative thinking ... and thus the departure from norn ... that is hate ... by all appearances in the present dimension!

Can one excell in this? Some try ... thus thoughtless lovers ... not a rag or bit of fabric of intelligence! Even meet one of those? These are industrious sorts in the rendering industry ... make a living out of redacting ... and yet declare that nothing changes ... is that stoic as is?

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

If one puts down the mind-soul-psyche ... would you lose somethng in life?

Or is this jinn et'ichly endowed if one can't learn about strange satyrs ...Samaritans ?

Is that LOGO, subtle, or what?

Back to Religion and Faith topics