GeoFee's picture

GeoFee

Emerging Spirit Reflections - 2010

Emerging Spirit is now banking down its fires, preparing to leave the work to its destiny. I suspect funding constitutes a core consideration. Remarkable how short a frame is opened by even grand sums. The time has passed quickly by. We have, in this place, tried the matter on first hand.

Surely our evaluation of the project has some bearing on the emergence of next things?

Share this

Comments

GeoFee's picture

GeoFee

At about the same time that Emerging Spirit broke to the surface of awareness, I had been found out in a rather daring and radical move, in the name of the gospel I am covenanted to teach and preach.

On zero budget, we began to take in persons driven from their natural habitat by police powers serving political concern. The Olympic committee was coming to town and the Hasting Corridor received a stiff brooming. The trash ended up on the doorsteps of Grace.

In keeping with our expressed mandate and mission we provided basic hospitality and compassionate concern among these outcast sons and daughters of Canadian mothers and fathers.

This happened in Mount Pleasant, at times touted as Canada's poorest electoral riding. A small group of persons were investing in real estate. At the centre of this circle stood a well positioned executive with the Public Insurance Corporation. These persons began to resist the presence of unwanted persons on the property of the church.

A slander campaign was set in motion, vandalism against church property, threats of arson and legal action. On one occasion I was threatened by a man waving a hammer over my head. A young Chinese immigrant, who was practicing English by baking cookies with me, witnessed all these things; as did many others. 

God's grace was with us. Soon we were supported by the Street Outreach program of the BC Centre for Disease Control, A Youth Advocacy service (DEYAS) and a Prostitute Advocacy service (PACE). Our small working team was monitored by Judy Graves, who was at that time working with City Hall to provide basic housing where and when it became available.

The only resistant partner, other than core value generators in the neighbourhood, was presbytery. Our requests for supports and encouragements were met with legalities and process. Decisions of the Grace council were overturned by presbytery executive decision. An example of the established resisting the emergent.

The matter escalated to the point where presbytery entered into partnership with the neighbourhood, authorising police force to evict  the broken poor from the back porch of Grace. I was called up for a 363 review and removed from my responsibility to the mission.

I won't press forward the full volume of detail which this short narrative segment represents. It is offered to suggest that in the United Church of Canada some initiatives are greeted with applause and endorsement while others are framed in less favourable light.

The key seems to consist in political acumen, the ability to negotiate processes and procedures in the service of purpose. Some of us, less adept at levers and pulleys, find solace in knowing that we, too, are not alone.

A wee addendum. About six years after I left the work at Grace a young woman came in with a man. In her arms she had a baby. She identified herself as "Shorty", one of our guests at Grace in those past days. She proudly spoke of getting off the crack and the street. The man was introduced as her husband. They had come to give thanks.

Last word to Keith Howard:

"In a time when so many seem to feel anonymous in the larger thrashings of the world, could an intentional and respectful welcoming by a particular community who remembers the name of each, be almost as surprising and life-changing as the call of Jesus to Zacchaeus to get down out of that tree. A meal is to be celebrated! The Sacred One wants to pull up a chair with you!

In a time when the numbers increase of those whose prime interactions occur through a video screen, the invitation into a community of all ages and stages, with particular and very real hurts and passions, comes as a powerful witness to the God who forgets no one and reaches out to all. We are not alone. 

In a time when people seem valued primarily for what skills, knowledge, expertise, talents, beauty, and power they can bring, how world upsetting to be a community which welcomes children as if they were the messengers of the Community of Shalom; who seeks out seniors and grants them place and honour; who extends a hand, not of pity but of friendship, to those without a debit card or house key.

Welcoming. What kind of rebellious, status quo challenging, cutting edge, gang of misfits might be called to that kind of radicalism? Perhaps only those who have, at times, known what it is to be somewhat lost, alone, and anxious about the future can truly appreciate its holy power.

Grace, how amazing it is.

George 

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Can I ask what you mean by core value generators? Is that a bad thing to you? I ask for obvious reasons. Because I started a thread about it.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Otherwise lovely post. Just seeking clarification on that point.

GeoFee's picture

GeoFee

Hi Kimmio....

Sorry to take so long in responding. "Core value generators" is a phrase I use to speak about persons in a community who shape the general opinion of that community.

In Mount Pleasant, at that time, a small group of person were buying real estate and promoting gentrification. They were aggressive against any existing indications of poverty and the social issues related to poverty.

Core value generators are simply person committed to a vision and a purpose. In this case, getting the "garbage" out of the neighbourhood because it was affecting, by their value scale, real estate values.

Hope this helps.

George

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Anything insinuating poverty must be exterminated ...

Thus eliminated or metaphorically excluded ... business as normal ... don' even think other Y's ...

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

As a scattered thought pattern I don't heard well ... anon *gnus-person? With all the thunder of hoves ... I need hearing aids ... what 'ove-IT ... creative imagination that is ... all laid out?

Thus those of us at lo're  stage best be quiet, or the grosser powers'll get us ...

Jack; get the trap dore ...

Bottom line like a ligne in the san .... that outside clear space is just mire ... good place for the dilemma ... bean resolved!

*Did you know that g=gamma (dark-light) or opposing "c" and Nus is a Classic Psyche ... the Shadow imposes ... considering de light of the situation with the continuum! Thus the gamma, or Shadow goes on ... outside power as dark myth ...

You sure you don't wish to know what's unknown ... in the abstract's ID? It is not absolute ...

Is that logic or what ... something that's best subtle or humble in this pious place that can;t stand motivations .... MO's is the word ... LOGOS?.

Chit is subtle learning is it not, as a bit at a time? Brutes as instituted believe those that learn alien crap are going to 'elle with sayrs ... so beit meis consider me a Ba'aL've chit ... a wee bit? Mini bollochs ...

Back to Religion and Faith topics