oui's picture

oui

We are all one

Please take a small moment to enjoy this absolutely stunning video.

See video

Share this

Comments

Faerenach's picture

Faerenach

oui wrote:
We are all one leads to harmony and peace, coincidentally where we have never been, and currently are not.

I wouldn't say NEVER been, but it's definitely been a long, long time.

oui's picture

oui

I wonder, has it ever happened in recorded history? 

Faerenach's picture

Faerenach

Good question, oui.  Unfortunately, my specialty is prehistory - so I'm not sure!

oui's picture

oui

Offhand, I can't think of any society that has truly achieved peace thru we are all one.

Perhaps some Buddhist communities have come the closest, but is speculation on my part.  It could be hard to come up with any statistics.

I did once hear about an African tribe that has no word for "murder", as it just doesn't exist in their group.

Witch's picture

Witch

oui wrote:

Offhand, I can't think of any society that has truly achieved peace thru we are all one.

The Borg

oui's picture

oui

Yep, I think Witch got it right!

Arminius's picture

Arminius

I think the unitive awareness that we are one is an evolutinary goal that we, as a species, will reach eventually. But there may be a lot more headache, heartache, bloodshed and environmental devastation before we get there.

spockis53's picture

spockis53

We ARE all one, as a species and as a part of the biosphere, universe, etc.

Have we ever been entirely 'at peace' ?  When the environment makes it appropriate, yes. 

Neo's picture

Neo

oui wrote:

Witch wrote:

In one sense, absolutist religions ARE about worshipping one's self.

Absolutist religions elevate your own beliefs above all others, to the level of godhood.

I agree, I think absolutist religions elevate separateness through exclusivity.  Separateness fosters negative emotions which fuels negative actions.

I and not I  leads to discord, which coincidentally is where we have been, and currently are.

We are all one leads to harmony and peace, coincidentally where we have never been, and currently are not.

This is exactly why the Buddha says that all life is suffering and that the origin of this suffering stems from our attachment (and obsession) with the transient. As soon as one says "I am this" or "I am that" then we become attached to this and that and consequently separate ourselves from the whole. It's truly a fine line to walk to become totally detached.

Arminius's picture

Arminius

spockis53 wrote:

We ARE all one, as a species and as a part of the biosphere, universe, etc.

Hi Spock:

I see you ARE spiritual, spockis.

I wish this unitive awareness would be apparent in our thoughts and speech, and in our daily actions and interactions.

Neo's picture

Neo

I find it hard to see how we are not in a unity. Even the worst of humanity is still part of humanity, darker and seedier as they may be they are still part of the human race. And our human race, despite the crimes we are currently committing against nature is still part of this planet Earth. And it it goes on ad infinitum until you have nothing but ONE. We are literally living in the body of God and that God is living in the even greater body of GOD, etc., etc.

Witch's picture

Witch

I believe we are in unity.. by default.

The problem is that we tend to deny our unity by creating artificial segregations. Thus it is not coflict which prevents us from coming together, it is denial of our inherant unity which creates conflict.

IMHO

LBmuskoka's picture

LBmuskoka

Witch wrote:

The problem is that we tend to deny our unity by creating artificial segregations. Thus it is not coflict which prevents us from coming together, it is denial of our inherant unity which creates conflict.

IMHO

I would share your opinion.  However add that what prevents us from coming together is the acceptance of difference.

To carry on with your example of the Borg - they are One only in their sameness.  All look alike, all think alike.  Would such a society produce a Picasso?  I think not.

Diversity is necessary.  It is beneficial to all.  Environments that are not diverse can sustain life but only limited forms.  The environments that are rich and vibrant are those that sustain many life forms that are different yet interdependent.

We do not need to be the same to be One.  We need, IMHO, to recognize our interdependence; that each of us is capable of adding something of value to this thing we call life and that by oppressing another may, in the end, suppress oneself.

LB

Seven of Nine: The Borg have changed as well. I expected re-assimilation, not conversation.
Borg Queen: I see they've also given you a sense of humor.
Seven of Nine: My humor is my own.
Borg Queen: Spoken like a true individual.

Arminius's picture

Arminius

LBmuskoka wrote:

Witch wrote:

IMHO

I would share your opinion.  However add that what prevents us from coming together is the acceptance of difference.

To carry on with your example of the Borg - they are One only in their sameness.  All look alike, all think alike.  Would such a society produce a Picasso?  I think not.

Diversity is necessary.  It is beneficial to all.  Environments that are not diverse can sustain life but only limited forms.  The environments that are rich and vibrant are those that sustain many life forms that are different yet interdependent.

We do not need to be the same to be One.  We need, IMHO, to recognize our interdependence; that each of us is capable of adding something of value to this thing we call life and that by oppressing another may, in the end, suppress oneself.

LB

Seven of Nine: The Borg have changed as well. I expected re-assimilation, not conversation.
Borg Queen: I see they've also given you a sense of humor.
Seven of Nine: My humor is my own.
Borg Queen: Spoken like a true individual.

Hi LB and Witch:

When we see the unity that underlies diversity, the singularity that is the essence of plurality, and the sameness which gave rise to uniquenes and still is the essence of uniqueness, then we feel that all are one, and one is all. Then we can celebrate our individually and culturally unique expressions and be united at the same time.

Absolutism, not diversity or uniqueness, is the enemy of unity. When we regard our respective conceptual worlds as artistic creations, and our differences as arsticially necessary differences, then our differences become cause for celebration rather than segregation.

Conceptualization as art.  

momsfruitcake's picture

momsfruitcake

just thought i would bump this.  it's a great video oui posted a long time ago that i saved to my favourites and another thread i was reading made me think of it.  felt inclinded to share :)

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

There are lots of "creation stories" but the most persuasive story of one-ness on Earth that I've heard is the one told by biologists Nick Lane and Bill Martin.

In this story, there was a particular moment on a particular day — about two billion years ago — when a bacterium swallowed up an archaeon (an organism that was among the first “living” stuff on the planet). Both are microscopic, single-celled organisms with no cell nucleus, but they are distinct groups.

The little archaeon survived inside the bacterium and was great at pumping out energy; it became the first mitochondrion. The result was a new kind of creature that could produce multi-celled descendants. They are called “eukaryotes”. Before that, all of life existed as single cells. That archaeonfuelled the future of life on earth. Its memorial is with us still, as themitochrondrial DNA in our body cells.

The extraordinary detail is that Nick Lane and Bill Martin believe the pairing happened just that once, although archaeons and bacteria had already flourished on Earth for a billion years. It was a bizarrely improbable thing to have happened and, it seems, it hasn’t ever happened again.

The new creature’s descendants grew, got the idea that sex could be fun and, as the whole genetic diversification, natural selection thing began blazing away in more directions than skyrockets from a burning fireworks factory, they variously produced plants and animals in all of their glorious diversity. And us: WE are “eukaryotes” too.

What it means, of course, is that EVERY living thing is related and every living thing more sophisticated than a bacterium can trace its origins to that special, singular day when the archaeon got together with the bacterium.

We should be observing an annual Global Eukaryote Day: a celebration of sexuality, diversity, life, unity, possibility, mystery and connectedness… of the marvellous beauty of all living things and our capacities to experience them: a festival of consciousness and the beauty of life from amoebae to redwood pines and us, and including fish, cows, scorpions, birds, turtles, snakes, toads and butterflies… and including all of the plants and animals we don’t know about yet because we’re still discovering our planet. Nature’s a kaleidoscope… a great beautiful kaleidoscope and we’re in the midst of it.

oui's picture

oui

MikePaterson wrote:

We should be observing an annual Global Eukaryote Day: a celebration of sexuality, diversity, life, unity, possibility, mystery and connectedness… of the marvellous beauty of all living things and our capacities to experience them: a festival of consciousness and the beauty of life from amoebae to redwood pines and us, and including fish, cows, scorpions, birds, turtles, snakes, toads and butterflies… and including all of the plants and animals we don’t know about yet because we’re still discovering our planet. Nature’s a kaleidoscope… a great beautiful kaleidoscope and we’re in the midst of it.

I LOVE this!  Well said MP.

oui's picture

oui

Yikes!  I just found out the original YouTube link doesn't work anymore.  Here is another link:

momsfruitcake's picture

momsfruitcake

oui wrote:

MikePaterson wrote:

I LOVE this!  Well said MP.

i agree :)

Back to Religion and Faith topics
cafe