AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

Where Was God When the Earth Shook and the Waters Rose?

Hi Friends,

This was posted on the United Church website today and I thought I would share it here as well. It's a pogniant article by former Moderator Peter Short, updated in response to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

------------------------

Shortly after the 2004 tsunami, The United Church of Canada’s then Moderator, the Right Rev. Peter Short, wrote an essay responding to a question that many people ask when a natural disaster strikes somewhere in the world. That essay has been updated to reflect the current outpouring of concern for the people of Japan.

On March 11, the God who controls the world slipped between the cracks and beneath the waves. 

As a spiritual leader and pastor, I often receive calls, letters, and messages from people who have been touched deeply by the magnitude of such a disaster. Even as we do what we can—giving generously to bring relief, keeping vigil with those still frantic to account for loved ones, trying to contemplate the rebuilding—we cannot escape this: we are dismantled inside.

We know how the engulfment happened. There was a shaking of the foundations of the earth and a rising of the waters of the sea. It did not take 40 days and 40 nights; it took little more than a few minutes to engulf worlds. That much is explicable, if not imaginable.

We do not know the why of it. No one is responsible. There is nowhere to lodge the meaning or lay the blame, except at the doorstep of God. Who else can shake the foundations of the world? At least the grief is deep, strong, and true. Grief is best when only God carries the blame. It liberates the heart for clean anger.

And here is something I know about the broken-hearted. They are the blessed, for they have loved and been loved. They know that this world is no paradise, but somewhere along the way they have encountered the greatest of the gifts. If it were not so, they would expect little and grieve less. Great grief can only be produced by great love.

I remember one young mother wrote following the 2004 tsunami to tell how she was haunted by the television images of parents holding their dead babies. Her words carried me to the deep into which all caring people have been cast. She was singing the ancient lament of Jeremiah for the one who has lost her children: “Her sun went down while it was yet day.” This has happened. The sun has gone down while it is yet day.

I cannot speak for God, although I have spent many years trying to listen for God. What I hear today is the sound of weeping. What I taste today is the salt of God’s tears. What I remember today is a day, we call it Good Friday, when God’s sun went down while it was yet day. What I know today is that if there is a presence in all creation that is crying, that presence is God.

I have come to believe that God’s ultimate commitment to the world and its creatures is not a commitment to control but a commitment to love. I believe that between control and love God must have had to make a choice. This is the same choice we all make. My own life as a parent of four has taught me this.

Perhaps Margaret Atwood was right to say that we see the world clearly when we see it through tears. Broken hearts are the best companions on a day when the sun goes down.

Now we must do what we can to help. When our common and frail humanity moves us to work side by side, we may become aware in spite of ourselves that the One who loves the world is rising from the deep.

An earlier version of this commentary appeared in The Globe and Mail on Saturday, January 8, 2005. The text has been updated to reflect the current catastrophic earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan on March 11, 2011.

http://www.united-church.ca/communications/news/general/110314

Share this

Comments

Panentheism's picture

Panentheism

In the one read of God chose to reject control for the sake of love, still leaves the issue of onmipotent alive, for if we can choose and we are moral why give up the power of control when it can lead to good ends.  The point is, God is by nature only perusasion and love and thus metaphysically can act in only loving ways - there is no power of control to be given up.  It just is not there to be given up.  This one way to address the theodicy question and it does mean redefining the 'acts of God'  No floods or parting the red sea.  Those are the metaphors of the writer of the text not a historical snapeshot of how God' acted - the myth gives an early example of acting for the sake of the lost and the only language to be used in that context is one of parting the red sea - a metaphor.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Pilgrim's Progress, in a world surrounded by the conservative reading, and filled with news of how God caused the tsunamai to occur, you are correct, I will choose not to give a blind sharing of this letter.

In a small group, sure, no problem it allows for dialogue.

but, where there is a sense that Christiantiy , all Christianity, believes God causes tsunamai's and earthquakes, I will not contribute fuel to the fire.

Judd's picture

Judd

I believe that God created random evil. Random bad things happen to nations, groups, and individuals so that we can learn to overcome them and become stronger.

Had God wanted us to be perfect, God would have created us to be perfect. Insteagd God created us to learn and grow. This process is often painful, but necessary in the long run.

The disaster that hit Japan would have totally destroyed most countries. The courage and unity with which the Japanese are facing the destruction is inspiring.

Panentheism's picture

Panentheism

Judd this view is what Pinga rightfully objects to.  The simple point is are we more moral than God?  If we had all the power to prevent evil would we not?

Yes the risk of creativity is random evil - this only means we have no absolute ( nor God) power over the outcome of creativity.  Yes random bad things happen.  But they are not meant to make us smarter or better or stronger. Yes we can learn but they are not sent to make us learn.

Yes in the face of destruction we can learn what we are made of and what courage we have.  But it was never a test.  In one sense shit happens and what we do with that fact tells us much about our character.

The character of God is to weep and give us strength, to move us toward more compassion and justice.  God does not test us.  For the character of love is to persuase us toward more compasson and beauty.  Offering us possiblities and potentials for more beauty. 

In judging a cause and effect statement we should ask, would we operate in this manner?  If not neither would God. 

Pilgrims Progress's picture

Pilgrims Progress

Panentheism wrote:

Judd this view is what Pinga rightfully objects to.  The simple point is are we more moral than God?  If we had all the power to prevent evil would we not?

Yes the risk of creativity is random evil - this only means we have no absolute ( nor God) power over the outcome of creativity.  Yes random bad things happen.  But they are not meant to make us smarter or better or stronger. Yes we can learn but they are not sent to make us learn.

Yes in the face of destruction we can learn what we are made of and what courage we have.  But it was never a test.  In one sense shit happens and what we do with that fact tells us much about our character.

The character of God is to weep and give us strength, to move us toward more compassion and justice.  God does not test us.  For the character of love is to persuase us toward more compasson and beauty.  Offering us possiblities and potentials for more beauty. 

In judging a cause and effect statement we should ask, would we operate in this manner?  If not neither would God. 

Pan,

On the subject of interpretation I can honestly say I personally appreciated the simplicity of your use of language here.

A lot of the time I struggle to understand your posts. This is neither your "fault" or mine - simply that due to mental health issues my formal schooling ended at  high school.  (yet another factor in the difficulties of interpretation).

But I certainly don't expect you to "dumb down" for my benefit - you have every right to express to write as you choose.

However, I'm making headway - I have a "new" understanding of God's persuasive love through your posts, and I find it stimulating to try and understand the essence of what you're communicating.

I, like you, don't share Judd's view.

But that is not enough for me - I would like to try and understand why he thinks as he does. What is the unseen background to his - and indeed everyone's, views?

Panentheism's picture

Panentheism

PP I cannot answer for Judd ( and others like) but here is a short history of understandings of God and what is at stake.  I know this moves off the piece but I think it might help.

One of the issues at stake is how is God involved in the events of the world. Coupled with that,which we all share ( even post theists), is an affirmation of God as creator. The long trajectory of Jewish and Christian reflection is some belief in God who is in all things and within whom we move and have our being.  This is what is called the transcendent aspect of God.  In old language, which I do not share,  but is behind some reflection is the idea of a prime mover.  This gets moved into unmoved mover. This is a sense of soveregnity of God, what some think is God as immutable in essense.  This is sometimes called the perfection of God who needs nothing. 

Out of the desire of Love God seeks to create.  Now is the nuanced point - I would also begin Love Supreme seeks to love.  The difference is in positions like Judd God is the sole creator - all life emerges out the divine word - out of nothing God creates.  

This idea has a history and when it comes to modern thinking that is when it runs into problems  Creator becomes the only cause for what is.  This is because of understandings of matter in motion or mechanism. Cause and effect - it is simple location of action.  It is like a sentence - there is a logic to how the words follow one another.  A beginning and an end.  God is the beginning of what is to follow thus the cause of the meaning of what is.  This emerged out of desire for religious satisfaction - God loves and cares and creates.

This view does not need to be held in a world of relationships and multi causes to each event -  each actor having influence to the effect.  There is of course a difference in relational power,  God having Love Supreme and each actual entity ( in our case persons) have independent power to cause things to happen. But there is a level or degree of power to influence.... God all things, we only near us and through history.

Getting back to the aspect of creation - in the old paradigmn God was the only and absolute power of creativity, thus all things owe their existence to God, even evil.  However if creativity is built into the nature of reality, that is not God given, each actor has to use that creativity out of their power (remember it is a matter of degree not kind) God's power is persuasion and not control.  It is here that a radically different model of God comes in. 

It does not destroy the idea of God as a creative actor but suggests how God works with the world through persuasion.  In offering novel possibiiies in a world with its own freedom then random events can happen and those events can be evil.  The urge toward beauty can be transformed into ugliness. 

The natural world in the old paradigmn is created by God - and there are varieties of understanding here, from God causing every event, to God began every event and now the world moves on in its own natural law ( but God gave the law), to  watch marker God - set in motion.

In the process/relational paradigmn God had to work creatively with what is , from chaos ( unorganized stuff) to lure it into some actuality, offered only potential and possibilities and what emerges is in a way a surprise to God.  Rather than setting down immutable laws, the natural world has habits which appear law like but are mutuable.  God offers some form to each entity but the entity in the end determines the actual form.  In this way the natural world emerges and randomn acts are part of the emergence.  God offers only hints not the final form.

In the old paradigmn which undergirds modern thinking, even of atheists, is first, efficient, formal and final cause.  God is all the actions. In the new paradigmn there is no first to final cause, but a web of causes.  In this God can be one of the causes in the web, and can be efficacious,  We too are efficacious, as are all the things in the natural world -earthquake and flood, waves and tides.

Pilgrims Progress's picture

Pilgrims Progress

Thanks Pan,

I will return to your post later  when I have more time to concentrate - I'm off to my "Three Abrahamic Faiths" course today.

On a quick reading I understand about the two paradigms - and share your preference for the new paradigm.

However, I can see a need for the old paradigm - as children the new paradigm would have been too complex to understand. Without it to begin my faith journey, perhaps a belief in the new paradigm would not have been possible?

So, rather than insist that other's share our belief in the new paradigm, perhaps we can have faith in God's persuasive love?

Berserk's picture

Berserk

Diana wrote:

I remember a letter to the editor I wrote to the Vancouver Sun once.  It was in response to those who were angry about the Christ being taken out of Christmas,   and my letter stated that Christmas was largely a secular holiday and that in this respect it was great that people of no faith, or any faith, could partake if they so chose, and to get used to the idea that nobody "owns" today's Christmas celebrations.

People who knew me got my point bang on.  However, about 3 days later, a guest columnist who was a Jewish rabbi devoted her entire column to her outrage about my letter.  She essentially called me a racist;  her interpretation of my letter was that I had suggested that all people of other faiths should give up their own traditions and join in with the traditions of the majority.

I was horrified, and still am, truth be told.   To be so misunderstood, in public, without the opportunity for rebuttal was truly awful.  It was a long time before I wrote another letter!   Language.......not always the best way to communicate!

When the controversial movie, The Last Temptation of Christ" came out, it created a firestorm of protests in our local New York paper.   I was a Theology professor at the local uniiversity; so a reporter called me to get my opinion of the movie.  I told him to ask someone else because I hadn't seen it yet.  He pressed me, "Well, at least tell me w hat your think of  the reaction to the movie?"  I replied, "I seems that some people have trouble completely embracing jesus' full humanity, but I'll have to see the movie develops that theme."    The next day, the reporter's article read, "Father so-and-so says this is a time for all Christians to stand up and be c ounted and boycott this blasphemous movie.  But Dr. Berserk (not my real name!  Duh!) disagrees and says the movie is a marvelous study of Jesus' humanity.'  The week after that, I'd be eating in a restaurant and people pointed to me, frowned, and expressed their displeasure about what I had supposedly said.  What upset me most is that non one bothered to ask me if I had been quoted correctly.  It's so easy to distort what people say.

Yet precisely for this reason, I respect the advice that my seminary preaching professor gave us when I was a student.  He said, "When you preach, you are responsible not for what you said, but for what you were heard to say."  I have often been misquoted in the press and now almost always refuse request for interviews about religious matters. 

Judd's picture

Judd

Mankind cannot be more moral than God. If for no other reason than the pot cannot criticize the potter.

Yes,  shit happens, I believe it is random because I cannot believe that God would punish the innocent along with the guilty unless it were random happenings beyond the direct control of God (presumably by choice)

But then again - Miracles happen. I've seen them.

In my mind, it is monumentally stupid to try to predict or moralize on God.  It is even stupider to claim that you  - or anyone - can speak directly for God. WE can only muddle about trying to do what is right in God's eyes and, coincidentally, do those things that contribute to the lasting good of humanity.

If I die tonight, I will thank God for giving me life for it was a gift, and not my right. If I lose a loved one, I thank God for the time I spent with them for it was a gift and not my right. I deserve nothing and even less because of my supposed righteousness. I live only because of a generous and merciful God.

I am God's to keep, and I am God's to take away.

Serena's picture

Serena

Pinga wrote:

I believe that the earthquake and tsunamai are not a result of an action by God (first quote) nor a choice God made (2nd quote)

They are simply the functioning of our planet

I have to agree.  We are reaping what we have sown with regards to the environment and some things just happen randomly. 

Not everything in life is good.  Not everything in life can be explained.  Not everything in life is for any greater good.  Not everything in life has a purpose.

chansen's picture

chansen

Judd wrote:

Mankind cannot be more moral than God. If for no other reason than the pot cannot criticize the potter.

Than the "God" of the bible?  Are you kidding?  There are dictators who are more moral.  Even Gaddafi probably thinks drowning his entire country would be effed up.

Judd wrote:

I am God's to keep, and I am God's to take away.

What a fatalistic way of looking at things, and what a jackass of a deity to believe in.  You say, "In my mind, it is monumentally stupid to try to predict or moralize on God.  It is even stupider to claim that you  - or anyone - can speak directly for God."  But then you go on and claim to know things about this "God" and that "He" can snuff you out if "He" so chooses.  In your own words, you're being monumentally stupid, not to mention servile toward a figment of your imagination.

unsafe's picture

unsafe

Hi Serena

Can you tell me then why Jesus tells his disciples when the end times will be in sight and some of what to expect . Do we just at random pick and choose what we want to believe in The Bible and say all the rest is false ---The Bible warns about being double minded and how unstable a doubled minded human is . Are you saying that  Jesus is lying and his words are not to be listened to .  There is much more He says in that passage concerning this subject as well .Verse 7 is of interest and there was another earthquake in the Philippines 6.7 --sat ---Quebec on Fri 4.7. Jesus talks about birth pangs ---which is like a woman in labor as the contractions get closer together and harder the birth is near ----so when the disasters get closer and more sever is what He is saying you will know then . Do you not agree that storms --earthquakes-- etc are more severe and coming in clusters.   We can ignore it all and say storms happen this is nothing unusual if we want to- but Jesus is telling us to be prepared. We are at war again in libya --earthquake in japan--earlier earthquake in Christ Church Australia. Haiti is another.

Matthew 24 Amplified Bible 

1JESUS DEPARTED from the temple [a]area and was going on His way when His disciples came up to Him to call His attention to the buildings of the temple and point them out to Him.

2But He answered them, Do you see all these? Truly I tell you, there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.

3While He was seated on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately and said, Tell us, when will this take place, and what will be the sign of Your coming and of the end (the completion, the consummation) of the age?

4Jesus answered them, Be careful that no one misleads you [deceiving you and leading you into error].

5For many will come in (on the strength of) My name [[b]appropriating the name which belongs to Me], saying, I am the Christ (the Messiah), and they will lead many astray.

6And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not frightened or troubled, for this must take place, but the end is not yet.

7For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom,

and there will be famines and earthquakes in place after place;

8All this is but the beginning [the early pains] of the [c]birth pangs [of the [d]intolerable anguish].

9Then they will hand you over to suffer affliction and tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake.

10And then many will be offended and repelled and will [e]begin to distrust and desert [Him Whom they ought to trust and obey] and will stumble and fall away and betray one another and pursue one another with hatred.

11And many false prophets will rise up and deceive and lead many into error.

12And the love of [f]the great body of people will grow cold because of the multiplied lawlessness and iniquity,

13But he who endures to the end will be saved.

14And this good news of the kingdom (the Gospel) will be preached throughout the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then will come the end.

15So when you see the appalling sacrilege [the abomination that astonishes and makes desolate], spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the Holy Place--let the reader take notice and [g]ponder and consider and heed [this]--(A)

GordW's picture

GordW

It appears that both Jesus and Paul fully expected that the end-times would come within the lives of the current generation.  APparently they were wrong.  However, given that the vast majority of Christians (certainly the ones in Palestine) at the time of the Jewish Revolt and destruction of Jerusalem were Jewish-Christians I can well imagine that many of them saw those events as the beginning of the end-times.

OTOH, the Gospel writers also have Jesus saying that no one knows the day or the hour.  Maybe Jesus, or the writers, were hedging their bets?

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

If God is all-there-is ... like the integral of infinite creation. Could a mortal write this book even if inspired by God? It would probably be warped by some personal visions ... that's what its like to me mortal and immoral. Real truth is beyond us as suggested by the expression that all the stories of Christ would have to be stored somewhere else ... there's so many and mortals would like to curtail them.

In the light of the nearly starved mind for truth is this a huge work ... Job, are you out there still working on thoughts? If we could get the Pans of the balance together but darkness of emotions have always been there we are working feverously on thoughts to try and stave of emotionally induced extinction of the medium ... that's us and we don't know it without the principle of habeas corpus ... the intellect is all around us as a shaper of the intangeble. Usually we don't go there as self-centred ... an ad hominem process that is hidden in word and story. Again we don't wish to go there ... we don't like the trip!

Serena's picture

Serena

Unsafe;

There are many literary works literature that contain truth. The Bible is one. If you take the Bible literally that is flat earth thinking. I prefer not to throw the Bible out when parts of it don't seem to make sense. "I don't understand" is okay and does not make the person who says it have weak faith.

unsafe's picture

unsafe

Hi Serena   Your Quote   --If you take the Bible literally that is flat earth thinking. I prefer not to throw the Bible out when parts of it don't seem to make sense. "

If you take the Bible literally that is flat earth thinking---That is not what the bible says Serena ---It clearly states that it is the inspired word of God ---so if you want to believe it isn't that is your choice .

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (Amplified Bible)

16Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God's will in thought, purpose, and action),

17So that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Blessings

GordW's picture

GordW

The problem with that arguement (although in the end I do come down on the "inspired by God" side somewhat) Unsafe is twofold:

a) the Bible is God-breathed because one of the books humans included in the Bible says Scripture is God-breathed.  Circular logic at its best.

b)the Scripture being referred to includes none of the Christian Testament so at best it is only a statement about those books that the writer of 2 Timothy considered Scripture.

And what does it mean to say that something is inspired by God?  Ask the question in a group of people from various denominations and you are likely to get a wide range of answers

turtlechurch's picture

turtlechurch

Just a comment on the clustering of events. This is normal statistical behaviour of random events that follow a particular probability.  For whatever reason humans struggle to accept that the clustering of events is coincidence and not part of a plan. It is actually even distributions that are not random. It may surprise you to know that the number of severe earthquakes (> magnitude 7.0) is quite steady, and has actually declined in recent years - although not likely to a statistically significant degree.

Where was God? I can't say for sure, but we can be pretty sure the earthquake was caused by normal seismicity between two plate boundaries.

My heart goes out to the people in Japan . . . 

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

GordW wrote:
And what does it mean to say that sonmething is inspired by God?  Ask the question in a group of people from various denominations and you are likely to get a wide range of answers

Tis true. Not even all the people within the same denomination always agree.

Now who wants to go out for a new Timmy's fruit smoothie.

Berserk's picture

Berserk

Serena wrote:
 If you take the Bible literally that is flat earth thinking.

"It is God who sits above the sphere [Hebrew: chuwg] of the earth (Isaiah 40:21-22)."  "Chuwg" means "sphere" or "circle."   :-)

"God stretches the northern sky over empty space and hangs the earth on nothing (Job 26:7)."  :-)

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Flat-Earth thinking? We have been directed not to think of strange things ... yet the book says one should revere the alien/stranger!

And what of that script that says "if all the stories of Christ were writ, there wouldn't be room for them here"? Does one have to wonder in and about the unknown? That's god in the old Hebrew myth ... something to be resolved from all the chaos we can find in word ... then there's the desire that caused people to write certain sectors in a given way ... personal preferences that they'd like to impose on others? Real m'n are like that ... then there is the other's ide of the story .. d' ET'IC aL in which aL is an old word for above ... similar to myth! There is a tangible sense to this although it's said non existant ... not as is ... burled structures in the human trés, verily I'sae ... with humours ... bloody bet' Noire ... the red lady? You will lose in the end ...

Panentheism's picture

Panentheism

Here is a piece by John Cobb - why repeat good stuff - check it out http://www.jesusjazzbuddhism.org/god-and-the-sendai-earthquake.html

Serena's picture

Serena

Berserk wrote:

Serena wrote:

"It is God who sits above the sphere [Hebrew: chuwg] of the earth (Isaiah 40:21-22)."  "Chuwg" means "sphere" or "circle."   :-)

"God stretches the northern sky over empty space and hangs the earth on nothing (Job 26:7)."  :-)

Don't quote Bible verses at me.  I was a Bible College honor student.

The expression MEANS old way of thinking.  The Bible is NOT the only authority on spirituality anymore.

Serena's picture

Serena

unsafe wrote:

Hi Serena   Your Quote   --If you take the Bible literally that is flat earth thinking. I prefer not to throw the Bible out when parts of it don't seem to make sense. "

If you take the Bible literally that is flat earth thinking---That is not what the bible says Serena ---It clearly states that it is the inspired word of God ---so if you want to believe it isn't that is your choice .

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (Amplified Bible)

16Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God's will in thought, purpose, and action),

17So that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Blessings

You cannot proof the Bible WITH the Bible.  You must support it with an outside source.  Besides the Bible is just so full of contradictions.

"And Cain slew his brother Abel" Gen. 4:8

"Go thou and do likewise" Luke 10:37

"and do it quickly" John 13:27

Berserk's picture

Berserk

Serena]</p> <p>[quote=Berserk wrote:

Serena wrote:

" I was a Bible College honor student".

O Wow!  Excuse me. 

"The expression MEANS old way of thinking". 

No, the 2 texts combined are consistent w ith a sphere floating on nothing--interestng imagery for a biblical worldview thatt overwhelmingly otherwise supports a flat earth theory.  Actually, it is not possible to reconstruct the exact cosmology, but it seems certain that theirs was not the Copernican model. 

unsafe's picture

unsafe

Hi Serena --This is my proof --it is you Serena who needs to search for your trust and belief and faith not me I have found mine. Happy hunting and have a great day

taken from a bible study concordance --

3:14-17 Those who would learn the things of God, and be assured of them, must know the Holy Scriptures, for they are the Divine revelation. The age of children is the age to learn; and those who would get true learning, must get it out of the Scriptures. They must not lie by us neglected, seldom or never looked into. The Bible is a sure guide to eternal life. The prophets and apostles did not speak from themselves, but delivered what they received of God, 2Pe 1:21. It is profitable for all purposes of the Christian life. It is of use to all, for all need to be taught, corrected, and reproved. There is something in the Scriptures suitable for every case. Oh that we may love our Bibles more, and keep closer to them! then shall we find benefit, and at last gain the happiness therein promised by faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, who is the main subject of both Testaments. We best oppose error by promoting a solid knowledge of the word of truth; and the greatest kindness we can do to children, is to make them early to know the Bible.

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Serena,

Way to go ... I like that passage about questioning all things; is that right outa the book, or meant to get us beyond it as myth. Puts a lot of theologans of institutionalized variety right into a  shadowy sloe ... swampy pits?

Something 'll come of it as fecund ... like fallout from heaven ... as a higher'd state of mind ... it'll cost yah something as earth-bound god ... that's the dirt on spirituality and soulfullness (thinking, darl process) ... without cover ... naked parse? perhaps that's Par's in old tongues ... partner to Œnœn ... anon, nothing but the mind, an inverse relationship ... alchemy with reality? >< like a shot through the Ai of the need'le ... Ka Mael? It is a dark understanding about wisdom ... mostly passed off down here as cretin stuff ... often stories that have depth of meaning (anachronism?). Makes Dai Mons shimmer ... did you know the meaning of Dai in Welsh ... to a coal miner it is getting above ground before eve ... something the powers didn't like to see ... cuts into profits. the health of the working soul was nothing to those gods ... superficially bound!

unsafe's picture

unsafe

Another quake folks  so where was God for this one -----Read more Fox News .com

Strong Quake in Burma Kills More Than 70  

YANGON, Burma -- A strong earthquake that toppled homes in northeastern Burma has killed more than 70 people, and there were fears Friday the toll would mount as conditions in more remote areas became known.

The Thursday night quake, measured at a magnitude 6.8 by the U.S. Geological Survey, was centered just north of the town Tachileik in the mountains along the Thai border. It was felt hundreds of miles away in the Thai capital Bangkok and Vietnamese capital Hanoi.

Burma state radio announced Friday that 74 people had been killed and 111 injured in the quake, but was updating the total frequently. It said that 390 houses, 14 Buddhist monasteries and nine government buildings were damaged.

An official from the U.N.'s World Food Program said there were many casualties and serious damage in Mong Lin village, five miles from Tachileik. State radio said 29 were killed there and 16 injured.

Back to Religion and Faith topics
cafe