Pinga's picture

Pinga

Visiting folks in Southern BC

Hi folks, 

I am currently putting my plans together for a trip to BC.

I know that I wish to spend time in Vancouver and also will be in the Penticton area.

I am looking at flying into Vancouver, doing a one-way car rental and flying out of Kelowna.

My dates are approx but flying in on Thurs July 26th and travelling to Penticton On Monday, June 30th.

I'm wondering if there are opportunities to mee tor hang with folks during that time frame either in Vancouver or i can do reasonable side trips on my route.

Share this

Comments

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Pinga,

you mentioned earlier that you'd be heading to Richard Bott's church that sunday?  where is that at & at which time?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Service is at Dunbar Heights United Church @10am  @ 3525 24 Ave W, Vancouver

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Pinga wrote:

Service is at Dunbar Heights United Church @10am  @ 3525 24 Ave W, Vancouver

oh goody, that's near several bus routes

and lots of parks nearby

here's a street map

https://www.google.ca/maps/preview?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&...

the 3 skytrain stations i was yakking aboot are in downtown vancouver, which, if you dezoom the map, is to the NE from the Church

yer closish to the university endowment lands...a 'big' park...also wreck beach *waggles eyebrows*

also closeish to sensitive longhair hippy land...Jericho Beach...the Planetarium...all within bus riding distance...

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Does he now preach at both places? He's still listed at the Maple Ridge church too. I've met Richard. Very nice guy. Never heard one of his sermons. I'm afraid 10 a.m. is just too early for me to be somewhere other than downtown, by transit, on a Sunday morning. I am not normally a morning person. Takes me til noon to really wake up and socialize- I'm still trying to get accustomed to walking before then. ;)

Jericho is beautiful. One of the best views from there. There's a cafe/ pub at the Jericho sailing club. Not fancy but there's a patio and great scenery. I think the food's reasonably priced if I recall. My dad and I went there once. You don't need to be a member.

Wherever you meet it'll be good. Hard to go wrong here. There are nice spots all over the place- even if you don't plan just look for a place to sit and have a drink/ bite to eat as you are out exploring.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

oh yes Pinga visit wreck Beachwink and if you like that we can go to 3 mile Beach when you are in the OK

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Neo, jlin, what do you think aboot meeting at Richard Bott's church (3525 24 Ave W, Vancouver) and then going from there?

side note: i'm liking the title of this thread...it's yet another example of the QM nature of reality, how things can be multiple identities at once...BC, Wet Coast, GVRD, SW BC, Pacific North West...

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

the Shangri-la hotel in downtown Vancouver that my wife and i went on a tour for fun with and my father and i managed one Christmas parade day to get over our shyness & partake of the foyer revitalizants

its the type of hotel where one's credit rating goes up the moment you touch a door handle

See video

even more beautiful in the Wintertime, when the winter terns are tittering

See video

inside this building is the cleanest air in the GVRD

See video

salt water pools, sunning beach apes, seawalls

See video

LGBTQwithasideofmayoenclave

See video

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

It has the cleanest air but a really creepy looking fountain. Looks familiar. Which building is that? Oh yeah! The Planetarium. I haven't been there for ages. Saw a Beatles laser light show. I think it was...? I saw a Who show a Beatles show and a Led Zepp show...in my teens and 20's. One was in Seattle and one in Calgary. Can't remember which was in what city. Forgot about the crab.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

wow, thanks ina, i love the idea and look of jericho beach. the view, the picnic tables, the slice of life.

You folks know the area well and i appreciate your wisdom.

I will be spending friday quietly with a friend, just poking around, so, good to know what is thought of for sunday.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

to be honest, just drinking a thing of water hanging out visiting over a picnic table, laughin with a story or two, saying "remember when", is kinda awesome

Neo's picture

Neo

InannaWhimsey wrote:

Neo, jlin, what do you think aboot meeting at Richard Bott's church (3525 24 Ave W, Vancouver) and then going from there?

side note: i'm liking the title of this thread...it's yet another example of the QM nature of reality, how things can be multiple identities at once...BC, Wet Coast, GVRD, SW BC, Pacific North West...

I'm good with Richard Bott's church

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I'm close to several places in the last vid. I'm in that general 'hood. There's picnic tables, or just big logs to sit on, on that beach, cafes with covered patios if it rains and the seawall of course goes all the way around Stanley Park. Jericho doesn't have as many other close by food, drinks, attractions and amenities to choose from but it is a georgious beach all on its own. The Planetarium I imagine has a pricey admission now- if you actually want to go in? I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me if it's pricey.... Yeah. It's $18. during the day.

http://m.spacecentre.ca/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spacecentre.ca%2F#2748

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

So noone is misled by the last video...Either I live in a parallel universe or she was talking about apartments and homes that rent by the night (there are some buildings that are apartment hotels or homes that rent to traveller). $300? In 1980 maybe. Try $1200-1300 on average for a basic, clean, 70's-80's built nothing special about it apartment! In 2009, when the vid was made, it was roughly the same. It's nearly doubled in 10-15 years. A few years before the Olympics, renupstarts to go up really high and never came back down.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Nevermind. Of course she mentioned the $1m home as well. I missed that. So... She's talking about buying for $300-400K. Duh. Funny, I'm happy to stay renting. I don't even think about someday buying a place anymore. Lol. It's right off my radar. Most people in the older, 1970s, buildings she mentioned (and there are many) are renters not buyers though. Not that it matters unless Pinga is looking to buy real estate.

If you come out again some other time, Pinga, you can find houses to rent, fully furnished, linens, etc. some condos, some are houses with yards, for the same price as a nice hotel. About $150-300/ night- cheaper by the week. My friend does that instead of hotels because she has 2 little dogs she brings along everywhere. You've said you travel a lot on business. A lot of people like this option here because it's homey if they get tired of hotels . I don't know if that's a popular thing in Toronto. Eg. These are near Kitsilano and/ or Jericho Beach.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-a...

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

For example, I don't know if the home is your style, some are really high end, others not as much, but this gives you some idea of what you can get for the cost of hotels and there are photos of what's in that neighbourhood. (I like being virtual tour guide :) )

http://www.vrbo.com/421512

Ooh! This one's georgious. Beautiful garden. I'm daydreaming now- wishing I was just visiting Van on business and could stay in one like this!

http://www.vrbo.com/280578

http://www.vrbo.com/6242316ha
Or this...okay, kind of getting off topic. You're not coming to look at houses. Sorry. I just love looking at these and wanted to share. It does make a good alternative to a hotel. We/ my family rented the main and upper floor of a house (the home owners lived in a suite downstairs) for a very special one time family weekend gathering once. Too many people for our apartment, too expensive to rent a venue and hotels. It worked out great.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I have a hotel booked.  Used a whack of my points, but that is what they are for!

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

one thing we'll probably not do (as i think we want Pinga to be able to come back sometime) is to ride on this

See video

this is the one ride that truly gets past my defenses and actually terrified me

so anyhew, RB's (doesn't that sound like one of those old radio show bosses titles? "Hey RB, have you heard aboot the new Amistad account?") united church isn't my neck of the woods, but looking around, I see there are places within 'walking distance'

On Dunbar:  there is the Dunbar Public House http://www.thedunbar.ca/ ; The Kokopelli Cafe http://www.kokopellicafe.com/

Just a bus ride away there is UBC with the University Endowment Lands.

See video

Just a bus ride away there is the Spanish Banks with those WW 2 bunkers

See video

There's Kits Beach, with a lot of local eateries & convivial meeting places

See video

UBC also has a world-famous PARTICLE ACCELERATOR called 'TRIUMF'

See video

if we want to try to wow Pinga to her core, we could take her up one of the local mountains, where she would see most of the City of Jewels in all its splendor (and maybe feed a whiskeyjack or three)

Public transport criticism:  whomever came up with the Skytrain station wasn't thinking clearly because there are NO PUBLIC WASHROOMS at each station as there should be in a civilized country.  that's something for travellers to keep in mind.  we here on the wet coast ARE LIVING in Canada's wild west ;3

SIDE NOTE:  this is why i think the UCC is important and why i hope it can continue

See video

these people on the front lines of that 3rd world country within Vancouver, BC

myst's picture

myst

Wow - ina has done a great job of highlighting places to see and things to do. Dunbar Heights UC is close to the west side beaches, including Jericho, Locarno and Spanish Banks (and it's close to my home as well smiley ). A picnic/gathering at the beach after the service would be great if the weather is good. And if the weather isn't good there are restaurants in the neighbourhood as a backup plan.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Pinga wrote:

I have a hotel booked.  Used a whack of my points, but that is what they are for!

Free/ discount is better then, anyway! I knew you booked a hotel already. I meant for another time, perhaps, because you travel a lot, in case you didn't know about the site...and it gave me the chance to daydream, looking at other people's houses. I don't have cable anymore so I miss watching those home decorating shows on 'W' channel I guess. They were the few shows I watched. :)

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I love a picnic idea after the church service.  I can't make food, but, I can definitely pick up items to bring or beverages.  I will even have my own travelling dishes!

Ina, I am thrilled with your suggestions.   

I am making plans for spending time with a friend on Friday, and then some others on Saturday, so, a wondercafe gathering following church is great for sunday.

Let me know what I need to do, (other than show up)

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

just wanted to let you folks know that if i'm not there it will be because i am dead or in the hospital or have been abducted by aliens

my doctor's appointment is tomorrow for my constipation

(it'd be ironic if it were cancer :3)

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Pinga wrote:

I love a picnic idea after the church service.  I can't make food, but, I can definitely pick up items to bring or beverages.  I will even have my own travelling dishes!

Ina, I am thrilled with your suggestions.   

I am making plans for spending time with a friend on Friday, and then some others on Saturday, so, a wondercafe gathering following church is great for sunday.

Let me know what I need to do, (other than show up)

if yer travelling by public transit, remember to bring change -- the busses don't accommodate bills.  and since its the weekend, bus fare will only be $2.75 for 90 minutes

you might also want to bring along some rain clothing, just in case

you might also want to bring along some kind of escape hatch or wingwoman or soft hammer of bonking just in case i or some of us start boring you to death

we can decide at the church where to go and what to do (bad weather = dine on Dunbar, good weather = enjoy the pretty bois & girls and boygirls & girlbois at the beach? or there are several smaller but closer parks? Valdez, Carnarvon, Chaldecott, Balaclava?)

there should be places nearby where people can purchase supplies in case we go on a picknick?  yanno, like cuties to feed us grapes and wine while we talk?

i'll try to bring one thing i brought with me for our group's very first wc meeting -- a roll of paper which i rolled out on the table and some pencil crayons for people to doodle with if they want to

jlin, i hope you don't have any mobility issues

Beloved's picture

Beloved

InannaWhimsey wrote:

just wanted to let you folks know that if i'm not there it will be because i am dead or in the hospital or have been abducted by aliens

Hope your appointment went okay . . . and you are on a path of healing.  (And . . . well . . . you know . . .  pwinkwinkping!).

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Beloved wrote:

InannaWhimsey wrote:

Hope your appointment went okay . . . and you are on a path of healing.  (And . . . well . . . you know . . .  pwinkwinkping!).

*chuckle*

thanks Beloved

i know now how Gregor Samsa probably felt in Kafka's 'The Metamorphosis' :3

i've changed my diet (i actually like prunes now -- nothing like a little fear of dying to try new things), changed my DAoL (eg getting off my blubberalicious whalebutt and going for long walks every day) and have introduced my nether regions to new things to insert

and lactulose...mmm, what a balm that is.  tastes like supersweet honey and makes my innards play like a symphony...of chaos :3

now i know i can't toss whatever i want whenever i want into my system without consequences...i'm not immortal crying

seeler's picture

seeler

Inanna - too much information!!!

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

*hands seeler some Peril Sensitive Sunglasses*

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Thought ofyou yesterday,Inanna......... A t=Shirt read " I  pooped today."

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

crazyheart wrote:

Thought ofyou yesterday,Inanna......... A t=Shirt read " I  pooped today."

laugh

COOLIES!!!

"Careful observers may foretell the hour

(By sure prognostics) when to dread a shower:
While rain depends, the pensive cat gives o’er
Her frolics, and pursues her tail no more.
Returning home at night, you’ll find the sink
Strike your offended sense with double stink.
If you be wise, then go not far to dine;
You’ll spend in coach hire more than save in wine.
A coming shower your shooting corns presage,
Old achès throb, your hollow tooth will rage.
Sauntering in coffeehouse is Dulman seen;
He damns the climate and complains of spleen.
         Meanwhile the South, rising with dabbled wings,
A sable cloud athwart the welkin flings,
That swilled more liquor than it could contain,
And, like a drunkard, gives it up again.
Brisk Susan whips her linen from the rope,
While the first drizzling shower is born aslope:
Such is that sprinkling which some careless quean
Flirts on you from her mop, but not so clean:
You fly, invoke the gods; then turning, stop
To rail; she singing, still whirls on her mop.
Not yet the dust had shunned the unequal strife,
But, aided by the wind, fought still for life,
And wafted with its foe by violent gust,
’Twas doubtful which was rain and which was dust.
Ah! where must needy poet seek for aid,
When dust and rain at once his coat invade?
Sole coat, where dust cemented by the rain
Erects the nap, and leaves a mingled stain.
         Now in contiguous drops the flood comes down,
Threatening with deluge this devoted town.
To shops in crowds the daggled females fly,
Pretend to cheapen goods, but nothing buy.
The Templar spruce, while every spout’s abroach,
Stays till ’tis fair, yet seems to call a coach.
The tucked-up sempstress walks with hasty strides,
While seams run down her oiled umbrella’s sides.
Here various kinds, by various fortunes led,
Commence acquaintance underneath a shed.
Triumphant Tories and desponding Whigs
Forget their feuds, and join to save their wigs.
Boxed in a chair the beau impatient sits,
While spouts run clattering o’er the roof by fits,
And ever and anon with frightful din
The leather sounds; he trembles from within.
So when Troy chairmen bore the wooden steed,
Pregnant with Greeks impatient to be freed
(Those bully Greeks, who, as the moderns do,
Instead of paying chairmen, run them through),
Laocoön struck the outside with his spear,
And each imprisoned hero quaked for fear.
         Now from all parts the swelling kennels flow,
And bear their trophies with them as they go:
Filth of all hues and odors seem to tell
What street they sailed from, by their sight and smell.
They, as each torrent drives with rapid force,
From Smithfield or St. Pulchre’s shape their course,
And in huge confluence joined at Snow Hill ridge,
Fall from the conduit prone to Holborn Bridge.
Sweepings from butchers’ stalls, dung, guts, and blood,
Drowned puppies, stinking sprats, all drenched in mud,
Dead cats, and turnip tops, come tumbling down the flood."

--John Swift

or his "The Lady's Dressing Room"...here's a modern article on the kerfuffle (reminds me of modern times, no?)

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

chuckle

myst's picture

myst

Pinga, you will only need to show up. Others will bring picnic food, unless the weather is lousy and we'll go to a restaurant. Do we know how many people will be gathering that day for an after service get together?

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Have you told Rchard you are coming?

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

crazyheart wrote:

Have you told Rchard you are coming?

don't all Christians already have the "Holy Ghost" spiritual Wi-Fi service? :3

0 day was when Jesus was born, since then, the emanation has spread...

See video

Homo Superior; can't stop evolution :3

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I had mentioned that I would be coming to his service, I thought, but, haven't noted it since.

I am just back to the hotel, so getting caught up on reading and have some deliverables still to do tonight, sigh.

Will try to catch up tomorrow or wed night.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

So I am thinking of the logistics here due to some good questions by a wise woman.

1.  Church service is from 10am to 11:15am at Dunbar Hights United.

I put together a sample map to see what going to a beach might be like.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/3525+W+24th+Ave,+Vancouver,+BC+V6S+1L4,+Canada/Jericho+Beach/@49.2658163,-123.1882757,13z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486730ff02f6ab9:0xde181f1b04acffff!2m2!1d-123.1827005!2d49.2511839!1m5!1m1!1s0x548672587594d305:0xcfba9acea8f5957f!2m2!1d-123.1944069!2d49.2724337!2m3!6e4!7e2!8j1404045120!3e3

Questions: 

1.  Who is going to church, or thinking of going to church.

2.  If you aren't going to church, then, how will we meet? Probably would be good to ensure we know which beach we are going to, and if conditions are bad, our alternate.

3.  It is a long weekend, and so beach is likely to be busy.  Thinking we need a flag or some way to let folks know where we are.

Vancouverites? how do we work throgh the specifics so that those who don't meet at the church or are delayed know where to meet us?  I'd hate for someone to miss out due to a miscommunication....

Pinga's picture

Pinga

So I am thinking of the logistics here due to some good questions by a wise woman.

1.  Church service is from 10am to 11:15am at Dunbar Hights United.

I put together a sample map to see what going to a beach might be like.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/3525+W+24th+Ave,+Vancouver,+BC+V6S+1L4,+Canada/Jericho+Beach/@49.2658163,-123.1882757,13z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486730ff02f6ab9:0xde181f1b04acffff!2m2!1d-123.1827005!2d49.2511839!1m5!1m1!1s0x548672587594d305:0xcfba9acea8f5957f!2m2!1d-123.1944069!2d49.2724337!2m3!6e4!7e2!8j1404045120!3e3

Questions: 

1.  Who is going to church, or thinking of going to church.

2.  If you aren't going to church, then, how will we meet? Probably would be good to ensure we know which beach we are going to, and if conditions are bad, our alternate.

3.  It is a long weekend, and so beach is likely to be busy.  Thinking we need a flag or some way to let folks know where we are.

Vancouverites? how do we work throgh the specifics so that those who don't meet at the church or are delayed know where to meet us?  I'd hate for someone to miss out due to a miscommunication....

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Myst,

since this is in your neck of the woods, I leave it to you to continue :3

myst's picture

myst

Thanks for this, Pinga. Sorry I didn’t see your post until today.

I also wonder who is planning on attending a) the service at Dunbar Heights UC and b) coming for lunch after. Please let us know here or send me a wondermail.

Ina are you planning on coming for lunch?

I think we should meet beside the concession at Jericho Beach (not be confused with the other concessions along the west side beaches). Those who are coming from the service should be at the beach by 12:00. I will know Pinga and Ina, but if any others are planning on coming and haven’t met Pinga or I before, let us know that you plan to be there so we can find each other. There is pay parking in a lot there and lots of grass area to spread out if we don’t find a picnic table. Also, as Pinga has shown there are buses that go to Alma and 4th Ave (depending on where you are coming from, but the bus stops are either on 4th or Alma).

It would also be important to know who is planning on joining us in case it isn’t picnic weather that day and we end up going to a restaurant. Again, wondermail would be a good way to communicate this.

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Myst,

yes, my wife (Nutmeg) and I are planning on attending both the service (to meet with Pinga et al) & any after events :3

myst's picture

myst

That's great Ina. Richard Bott will also join us for lunch (and of course, he will be at the service).

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Myst, I would truly like to be there.

myst's picture

myst

Awww crazyheart, I truly wish you could be here too.

I've started a new thread regarding the wondergathering June 29th.

Pilgrims Progress's picture

Pilgrims Progress

Enjoy your Vancouver wondergathering possums, I know I did......

Just sorry I won't be able to delight your tastebuds wih vegemite sandwiches. cool

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Here is the thread: http://www.wondercafe2.ca/index.php?threads/vancouver-area-wondergathering-sunday-june-29.137/

jlin's picture

jlin

Hey everyone, sorry for taking such a long time out, I have been gaging just how much time I could take away and still sort of be in the loop.  You people are great! 

Question:  What time is R Bott's service at Dunbar Church?  Is it called Dunbar Heights Church?  I am travelling from the Island, so this is important.  And I will be heading back in the late afternoon, as I am working the next day - I may have a pets problem as well and this all hinges on getting the right help in with them as my kids and partner are leaving for Calgary the same morning.  If we go to the church do we wear special WonderCafe name tags to identify ourselves or do we just dance up to the front to a red-faced Richard? huh?

I have read all the information concerning Jericho Beach and the concession.  I do get mixed up around there, it has been a very long time, but hopefully  some things will be constant.  Have we opted out of the picnic? 

Jlin

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

jlin wrote:

Hey everyone, sorry for taking such a long time out, I have been gaging just how much time I could take away and still sort of be in the loop.  You people are great! 

Question:  What time is R Bott's service at Dunbar Church?  Is it called Dunbar Heights Church?  I am travelling from the Island, so this is important.  And I will be heading back in the late afternoon, as I am working the next day - I may have a pets problem as well and this all hinges on getting the right help in with them as my kids and partner are leaving for Calgary the same morning.  If we go to the church do we wear special WonderCafe name tags to identify ourselves or do we just dance up to the front to a red-faced Richard? huh?

I have read all the information concerning Jericho Beach and the concession.  I do get mixed up around there, it has been a very long time, but hopefully  some things will be constant.  Have we opted out of the picnic? 

Jlin

Jlin,

Please see this thread http://www.wondercafe.ca/discussion/social/vancouver-area-wondergathering-sunday-june-29

Myst is the organizer now :3

Back to Social topics
cafe