Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

And they are off...

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/kathleen-wynne-calls-june-12-ontario-election

Facing certain defeat on the budget next week, Premier Wynne has decided to skip the whole thing and go straight to an election. Anyone watching the political scene at Queen's Park must have seen this one a mile off. Libs making announcements right and left, Tories making some major policy statements of their own, NDP clearly not interested in keeping the Libs around any longer. Hell, I've been robocalled by the NDP twice this week about joining a town hall hosted by the leader, Andrea Horwath. At least now it's official and we can actually get on with a proper campaign and the attendant nonsense.

My prediction? I don't have one, yet. It's too close. I'm thinking (fearfully) that we are looking at another minority but it could easily go to either the Liberals or Progressive Conservatives depending on how the campaign shakes out. We could even see the NDP as Official Opposition depending on how things go.

Mendalla

Share this

Comments

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Provincially it will be another Liberal minority. Municipally,  the next Toronto mayor will be Olivia Chow.

Alex's picture

Alex

Wynne is stumbling badly in her forst exchange. she seems defensive and has to go back and correct her opening statement.

Alex's picture

Alex

I wonder if anyone is watching, but Wynne again seems defensive and put off by her first exchange wi Hudak

Rev. Steven Davis's picture

Rev. Steven Davis

"You had a choice," Hudak said in reference to the gas plant scandal. It reminded me of 1984 when Brian Mulroney knocked John Turner off his feet with, "you had an option, sir." Not as devastating, perhaps, but Hudak won the exchange.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Alex wrote:
I wonder if anyone is watching, but Wynne again seems defensive and put off by her first exchange wi Hudak

Crap, it started already? I was going to PVR it to watch later. frown Oh well, there's always the highlights reels.

Mendalla

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Mendalla wrote:

Alex wrote:

Crap, it started already? I was going to PVR it to watch later. frown Oh well, there's always the highlights reels.

Mendalla

I have it airing on my TV right now. Frankly, the trees outside blowing in the wind are more interesting to watch.

Inukshuk's picture

Inukshuk

My family, of five eligible voters, prevoted this afternoon. I discovered, on the way home, that  we effectively cancelled eachother out - with a vote each for the PC's, Liberals, Green, NDP and Libertarian.

Alex's picture

Alex

So who won?

Alex's picture

Alex

I think Wynne lost.surprise

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Alex,

Alex wrote:

Many are questioning if it is kosher for a police association to involve themselves in a camapaign, especially when one of the parties (Liberals) are being investiagted for crimes.. Do you think it is OK for them to do so.

The Police Union is not investigating the Liberals.

Interesting that the PC's would mention cutting 100, 000 public sector jobs and then consider that a union representing public sector jobs to speak out against that fishy in some way.

Alex wrote:

ALso these ads are the first sign of an election going negative. Is that something that should happen.  WIll the debate (tonight at 630) be all about attacks against the leaders?

As if.  

The conservatives have had radio spots for two weeks now that are allegedly ordinary Ontarian writing to their Premier to express their sarcasm laden displeasure.  The ads are so bad that anybody with any sort of taste should be starting a class action suit against the agency that produced them.

To be completely honest seeing the mug of Horwath, Hudak or Wynne lately is about the most negative thing I have dealt with.

At least until a veterinarian appointment tomorrow which will probably give worse news.

A plague on all their houses.

Grace and peace to you.

John

BetteTheRed's picture

BetteTheRed

I'll tell you who the star of our local all-candidates debate was - the Green Party candidate. Polite, enthusiastic, non-negative, well-researched answers. I may choose to watch the wannabe leaders debate later tonight. Given my impression of my local candidates, it is most unfortunate that the Green Party of Ontario Leader, Mike Schreiner, wasn't represented at the leadership debate. Our local candidate certainly raised both the tone and the bar.

Alex's picture

Alex

Here is a picture from yesterday. I am the old guy on the far left,  the rest were people who were volunteering/canvessing  in the Ottawa Centre campaign.  

Alex's picture

Alex

duplicate

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

revjohn wrote:

Hi Alex,

Alex wrote:

Many are questioning if it is kosher for a police association to involve themselves in a camapaign, especially when one of the parties (Liberals) are being investiagted for crimes.. Do you think it is OK for them to do so.

The Police Union is not investigating the Liberals.

Interesting that the PC's would mention cutting 100, 000 public sector jobs and then consider that a union representing public sector jobs to speak out against that fishy in some way.

Alex wrote:

ALso these ads are the first sign of an election going negative. Is that something that should happen.  WIll the debate (tonight at 630) be all about attacks against the leaders?

As if.  

The conservatives have had radio spots for two weeks now that are allegedly ordinary Ontarian writing to their Premier to express their sarcasm laden displeasure.  The ads are so bad that anybody with any sort of taste should be starting a class action suit against the agency that produced them.

To be completely honest seeing the mug of Horwath, Hudak or Wynne lately is about the most negative thing I have dealt with.

At least until a veterinarian appointment tomorrow which will probably give worse news.

A plague on all their houses.

Grace and peace to you.

John

I haven't heard any of those Conservative radio spots. The most negative radio ads I've heard warn that Mr. Hudak and his Conservatives, if elected, are going to wipe out jobs.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Alex wrote:

I think Wynne lost.surprise

I think...

1. Hudak

2. Horvath

3. Wynne

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Today I was kind of surprised to learn that the "v" sound in the name Horwath is actually spelled with a "w". In her honor, until election day, I'll be replacing all my vs on wondercafe with ws.

Azdgari's picture

Azdgari

I found it hard to favor any of them in that...thing, that people call a debate.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Watched the Etobicoke Centre candidates' debate yesterday on TV.  The candidate I was most impressed with of the three was Yvan of the Liberal Party.

Inukshuk's picture

Inukshuk

grrrr.....I am so tired of the negative/attack radio ads, that I've been tuning into Buffalo stations.  In a province of over 12 million people, Wynne, Hudak and Horwath are the best and the brightest? God help us.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Inukshuk wrote:

grrrr.....I am so tired of the negative/attack radio ads, that I've been tuning into Buffalo stations.  In a province of over 12 million people, Wynne, Hudak and Horwath are the best and the brightest? God help us.

and so I've decided to vote for the green party.

chansen's picture

chansen

Hudak and Wynne are neck-and-neck. Given the Liberal scandals, that's weird. Hudak should be cleaning up. Announcing 100,000 layoffs and claiming 1,000,000 new jobs seems to be his undoing. Almost nobody believes the latter, and if you, say, have a child in school, you probably don't want the former.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

chansen wrote:

Hudak and Wynne are neck-and-neck. Given the Liberal scandals, that's weird. Hudak should be cleaning up. Announcing 100,000 layoffs and claiming 1,000,000 new jobs seems to be his undoing. Almost nobody believes the latter, and if you, say, have a child in school, you probably don't want the former.

Quite a lot of my friends are actually thinking about voting NDP this time 'round.

chansen's picture

chansen

So am I, but Horwath shouldn't have forced the election in the first place. It was a pure power play on her part. She thought she had a real shot. She didn't count on Wynne being able to convince so many that she is different from McGuinty. Wynne, by apologizing and playing safe and not putting her foot in her mouth, has done as well as could reasonably be expected. Hudak has shot himself in the foot with the 1,000,000 jobs claim, almost as badly as John Tory did with campaigning to fund religious schools.

Eventually, Ontario has to stop funding only Catholic schools. It's not right. But the answer, like in Quebec, will be to stop funding Catholic schools - not funding every religious school. Besides, kids should go to school with other kids from different faiths. They will have to live in the real world where not everybody agrees with their beliefs eventually. Better get used to it. There are also issues of many kids being bussed past their local school to go to the nearest public or Catholic school, duplication of efforts at the school board, under and over-capacity schools, etc.

For the above reason, I like the Greens as well. They want to amend the constitution to end Catholic schools in Ontario. The Liberals can't do that because they count on Catholic support. Whoever agrees with this, loses the Catholic vote and the election, regardless of whether it's the right move or not. So if I vote Green, I might as well vote PC in my area, because Liberals and PCs are neck-and-neck. NDP and the Greens are nowhere. But I mostly agree with the Greens.

*sigh*

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

I've long said that either all religious schools should be funded - or else none of them should be. I can support all kids going to nonreligious public schools - even as I support all kids' freedom to express their religious views or lack thereof.

Alex's picture

Alex

The polls are all over the [place. ZHowever they have all picked up a late surge for the NDP, with a drop in support for the PCs.

ipsos which actually phones people using people as oppose to computer calls oir web survey released there last poll 

ipsosreidpa
Among Decided Voters, Liberals (33%) Edge PCs (31%), NDP (30%) in Three-Way Race http://t.co/rP5jCCvnJ3

Alex's picture

Alex

I have heard that suport for the NDP has continued to grow and that the Tories have support is down since the above poll. For example the Tories were going to sweep Ottawa and win all put two ridings. Now they are set to even lose the ridings they hold and the liberals will sweep the area. This is due to the fact that the Tories had decided to stop the LRT in Ottawa.

By and large the voters in Ontario who were voting PC are heading to the NDP.

In South Western Ontario and the North the NDP is supposedly going to win all the seats.  

In Toronto the NDP will hold the seats it has, and pick up some Liberal seats. 905 area is now winnable by the Liberls, since like in Ottawa, PC voters are heading over to the NDP, meaning that while the Liberals are stalled, they will win because the PCs are loosing.

A big however is voter turn out.  A good get out the vote operation can increase a parties vote by %8 and since the NDP surge is occuring at the last minute the get out the vote people will not know who they are in order to pull these new votes.  Also the PC vote is much more likely to vote and not stay home. SInce it is going to rain heavily tommorrow that may tilt things back to the PCs. 

ANd in general with so many close votes, it is impossib;e to call many ridings, and it is possible that any of the three parties could still win,  WE also may not know who wins until recounts are held as well.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi All,

revjohn wrote:

While I suspect he will simply add to his alredy impressive Guiness Book Record he is entertaining at debates.

The John Turmel "cannot get elected" juggernaut continues unabated.

Mr. Turmel managed to rake in 61 votes of the 52, 088 votes cast in the riding of Brant.

That record is safe until the next time Mr. Turmel decides to contest and election.

Though to be perfectly honest if you watch Mr. Turmel in action it would appear that he is definitely playing for the loss.

Grace and peace to you.

John

Alex's picture

Alex

revjohn wrote:

Hi All,

revjohn wrote:

While I suspect he will simply add to his alredy impressive Guiness Book Record he is entertaining at debates.

The John Turmel "cannot get elected" juggernaut continues unabated.

Sad but true. Did you know that there was one election (actually it was a federal byelecion) that he did not lose?

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Alex,

Alex wrote:

Sad but true. Did you know that there was one election (actually it was a federal byelecion) that he did not lose?

I did know that.

81 elections contested. 0 wins and 80 losses and 1 by-election called on account of a general election..

I think the important thing to the record is the number of losses and the big goose-egg in the win column.

Grace and peace to you.

John

Back to Politics topics
cafe