MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

Time to lock up some damned guns!

BBC NEWS 14 December:

As many as 27 people have been killed, including many children, in a shooting attack at a primary school in the US state of Connecticut, US media say.

At least 18 children are among the dead at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, the Associated Press reported.

State police spokesman Paul Vance said the gunman died at the scene - but would not confirm the number of deaths.

If confirmed, Newtown would be the second-deadliest US shooting, after 32 people died at Virginia Tech in 2007.

Friday's shooting is the third major shooting in the US in 2012.

In July an attack that killed 12 people at a premiere of a Batman film in Aurora, Colorado. In August six people died at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin.

---

When stuff like this happens, how come there's never an intervention from all those gun-loving, armed citizens defending their freedom and eager to act in self defence?

Maybe it's time to bang up some guns. Having them everywhere doesn't seem to help.

Share this

Comments

Azdgari's picture

Azdgari

SG, you are still effectively promoting a culture of fear.  Be afraid of your neighbour.  Be afraid of your community.  Be afraid, for anyone might try to harm you.

The facts don't bear that out, and having a gun doesn't really help does it?  Especially since it's another gun that can be used, at some point, to hurt others.  Give every Canadian an extra gun and we have another couple dozen million guns around.  Everyone's safer, eh?

stardust's picture

stardust

Dec.6/12 - More Gun News:

Documents obtained by the Coalition for Gun Control reveal the committee advising Public Safety Minister Vic Toews wants some prohibited weapons, including hand guns and assault rifles, reclassified to make them more easily available.

Harper rejects this proposal.

graeme's picture

graeme

The NRA position so far is that teachers should be armed to be able to return fire.

I h ave used guns a great deal. I know that once a gun is put in a person's hand, there is no adequate control.

But I am mystified in all this being put in a domestic context. For at least ten years, the US military has killed more chidren every day than were killed in that school. That focus suggests and unconcious racism on our part. It also suggests that while having a gun makes it much easier to kill, the guns themselves may not be the who cause..

(Mind you, the gun can be a part of the cause. I've seen many a change of personality within seconds of picking up a gun. Some were quite scary.)

graeme's picture

graeme

I should add that one of my gun experiences was being a range officer for a police force. Talk about personality changes! Most of them instantly became1920s movie cowboys.

SG's picture

SG

Azdagari,

You believe I am promoting a culture of fear.

I am not.

Can it happen? Yes.

Should we point at over there and those folks and feel all comfy and cozy. Not really. Someone you love can be losing their mind this very moment.

Is it just about guns? Not really. That makes us feel better, because we can legislate that. When someone is compelled to this, suicide is not enough. A single murder is not enough. They are seeking to create carnage. They will seek it with a gun. We point to guns being available and they are, too much so IMO. Yet, history tells us this is not a sudden thing. It is planned, orchestrated. They will use a car to run over a crowd. They will use a bomb.

So, can it happen? Yes. We are, however,  in more danger of dying being stung by a bee.

This is not the message we hear.

We hear of making schools fortresses. We hear of laminates over glass so they do not break. We hear of arming teachers. We hear of rounding up all the guns. We hear of all kinds of things.

I am not afraid of my neighbour or my community. I do not demonize folks. I understand the culture of an angry, raging society. I read the news, Facebook posts and online comments to news stories....and do not say "who are THOSE people?" They are US.

I do not stigmatize mental illness. I understand that each of us is capable of something horrible. A loved one that is normally harmless, one you are "helping", can be given a pharmacuetical that has uncontrollable rage as a documented medically proven side effect.

I support funding for mental health care. I do not endorse cutbacks that place people in danger.

I do not live in fear.I also do not think that I can live in complete ease.  I live in reality.

The truth is I long ago accepted we cannot protect every citizen from every person who may wish to harm them. We cannot legislate mental health. We cannot make those take medication who are advised to. We cannot take away chainsaws and cars and tools to make bombs.

There is danger out there.

IMO We should not be telling our children it won;t happen again. It will. We should not be saying "it cannot happen here". It can.

There is also much living to be done. Fear steals life. We should be aware. We shoudl have safeguards where we can.

We should also contemplate not demonizing, not stigmatizing, not judging.... but it is far easier to focus on another and guns than looking into our own souls.

You also seem to think I support guns and think we all need one. I DO NOT. (Never have)

Funny how common it is when you do not say what people expect you to say (the sound bites... the black or white perspective) or do not say what they want you to say that they put words in your mouth or make you into someone other than who you are.

stardust's picture

stardust

Here's another update on the Nancy/Adam  story.

Sorry...it sounds gossipy and the comments are ugly.

I've no idea about the truth of it. There's also a story that Nancy's husband sent her $325,000. a month.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/nancy-lanza-feared-son-adam-worse-article-1.1221505

graeme's picture

graeme

i can go a long way in sympathy with SG's views as expressed in his latest post

We will in a society in which powerful forces deliberately keep us in a sate of fear that, as in the US, can be hysteria. The link with guns is a and intdustrial propaganda organization like the National Rifle Association. But it is not the only source, not by a long (pardon me) shot.

We live in one hell of a predatory and exploitive society. I think some considerable control over guns is necessary - but we also face the far bigger job of reforms in society.

stardust's picture

stardust

I  read SG's link before it was posted. To be honest it scared me half to death. I also came across a link by  Sally Ann and mental illness related to poverty and more.

Today, approximately three million Canadians live in poverty with many of them suffering from either

mental illness or addiction. The Salvation Army serves 1.7 million people across the country every year

with basic needs thanks to generous donors.

http://www.salvationarmy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/CanadaSpeaks2012_report_web.pdf

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi SG,

You'd think, that in Canada, with a universal health plan that things would be much different.

And you'd be wrong.  Quite a bit of the time.

I've driven 425kms through a Newfoundland blizzard wondering who I was going to have to deck to have my son admitted to the only children's psychiatric ward in the Province.

I've wrestled with my son who was trying to kill me in the slush during another Newfoundland blizzard while RCMP officers waited for me to restrain him.

I've held my son for 45 minutes of a full blown rage waiting for the ambulance to arrive while I was bitten and clawed.  Normally the ambulance took 20 minutes but for some inexplicable reason an on call doctor at the hospital changed the response protocol and called the ambulance back.

I've known psychiatrists to put their pager in thier office desk and leave the hospital when our son was enroute so that they could not be called for a consult.

I remember the hospital beeming so proudly about their new quiet room and how effective it was in calming our son down when he was brought in only to find that the stunned asses who converted the room left an exterior door, openable from the inside intact.  Not to mention the flaming stupidity of not having a door with an observation window on a quiet room.

So, naturally when he simply opened the other door and fled into the night I was singularly unimpressed.

In the seven years since we have returned to Ontario we have had few incidents and never one that I needed to physically intervene with.  There was one time when our son made a threatening move at his mother and the police who were already present slapped the cuffs on him so fast that his head spun.  By the time I got home he had passed from anger (thankfully not a manic anger) to remorseful.

There was also the time he ran away, 16th birthday and he knew he could go and we couldn't stop him this time, so he went, spent the night in a park, visited his grandmother for breakfast and then started walking.  He had no idea where he was going or who he could get help from afterwards.  We caught up with him, had the police chat with him and eventually brought him back hom.

There was another night where he decided he was going to admit himself to a group home and the staff went out of their way to convince him that he didn't want to be there. He called his grandmother to talk to her out of loneliness but he wouldn't call home because he made a decision, signed a paper, and had to live up to his agreements.  I talked to him.  Told him any paper that he signed admitting himself to a group home had another piece of paper that he could sign discharging himself from the group home.  He chose to live with the consequences of his decision for another day and then asked if he could come back home.

Today he is working full time at a meat processing plant and getting along with everyone there.

He monitors his medications and keeps his appointments scrupulously.

He cannot remember those dark years in Newfoundland and has no memory of trying to kill me or any other member of the family.

Either he is an accomplished liar (and he isn't).  Or he really doesn't remember.  If he doesn't then thank God for that.  It is enough weight on the family that the rest of us can.  We've moved past it though.

There is always the nagging fear though, what happens if his medication starts to fail? How long would it take us to notice?

And all around us are families living their own nightmares.

And some of them are getting nothing in the way of help which is offering anything remotely hopeful.

Saturday at the farmers market, one of the patrons approached me.  I'm known as clergy and I have been clergy for vendors at the market in times of trouble.  So, because I'm clergy I am safe to say things that the rest of your family doesn't want to listen to.

She is upset by the shooting in Connecticut and wonders, coarsely why if the shooter was going to put a gun to his own head why he didn't just start there?

Who would have mourned the suicide of a 20 year old with a mental health problem?  Would that have filled a whole weekend's worth of news?

Millions of Americans will make plans to end their own life in the next year.  Only if they pulled it all off at the same time would it even register on the 24 news networks.

Of those millions tens of thousands will succeed in taking their own life.

I'm sure the old ways of ignoring the problem will prove just as effectual as they did this year.

Unless they all think they need to take several with them for something to change.

Grace and peace to you.

John

SG's picture

SG

Thank you, John, for your witness as a pastor.... moreso as a father.

Maybe those of us who have walked the walk have more empathy for those who have blisters or scars from the journey, as well as those who have fallen along the way or taken others with them when they fell.... 

I recall my youth. For most my teen years, my stepdad had stepped off. He could not deal with it anymore and so he left. (They got back together once she was medicated regularly)

I had called child services when my stepdad left. Since I was 16, they would not remove my siblings if I would take care of them. If I wouldn't, they would each go into foster care. I did what I thought was best. I live every day wondering if it was.

I did what one does on days when it got too bad. Now, what as "not too bad" would curl your toes. Remember, we grew up with mentally ill being mom's "normal". Yet, some days when it was "too bad"  I had to call 911.

They would often arrive and my mom would not know who the president was, what day it was... she would be babbling.... However, some days they would explain that she was not willing to go with them. I was unable to commit her, as I was underage. They also could not take her against her will as she was not dangerous to herself or anyone else.

I asked, as a smart assed teen, how they knew she wasn't. They were, after all not psychiatrists. I asked what I had to do, wait until she had slit her wrists or taken pills... or until she killed my little brother and sister.

What an assinine question to pose...

The answer was basically yes.

Then again, I had little faith in doctors helping her either. Mom would go see doctors and they would give her a pill that made things worse IMO (She would go into a doctor's office depressed and she would be given something that shot her into mania complete with paranoia and delusions. Patients on top of the world, not needing sleep or food, feeling brilliant and sexy.... or not in need of help, do not tend to go into a doctor's office saying "fix this")

Any number of times an ambulance team did decide she was dangerous to herself or others and she would go in for a 72 hour hold. She would be taken in as an ER patient and then be taken to the psych wing. After all these years I still know what floor and wing, 2A. There was a standing order for meds. Then a physchiatrist would see her. She would be seen once medication was in her system and they would let her go. The danger had passed.

Right after I turned 18, I committed her. I also told them I was speaking to a Pittsburgh newspaper reporter doing a series on mental illness.  That time, she was not medicated until she was adequately assessed.That time, they decided it would not be in her or the hospitals best interest if she was medicated for a 72 hour release.

My mom stayed in the hospital for a month. She came out and has taken her medication every day since.

She is lucky to be alive. There were nights of "sampling" kitchen cleaners to figure out what "they" were poisoning her with. She ran off where anyone could have run her over or killed her. She has said suicidal thoughts were a constant in the depressive times.

We are lucky to be alive. It went beyond what we knew and we knew we were in danger, we bore the marks and scars... we heard the threats. We slept with "protection" and with booby traps "in case mom comes in your room".

Hearing your mom say, in therapy, how often she thought of killing you and had started the planning, will give you chills words cannot describe.

We will decide that it is worth our care, our concern, our tax dollars, that these people are still people.... maybe when we look in their eyes and know their name, know they gave us birth, know we gave them life.... when we wrestle loving them and fearing them.....

Until then, we will ask how this happens. Until then, we will say, "I hope if there is a hell, they are in it" (something I heard on Sunday)

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi SG,

SG wrote:

Thank you, John, for your witness as a pastor.... moreso as a father.

Talking about it is the only way to even attempt to redeem the pain that we have all endured.

SG wrote:

Maybe those of us who have walked the walk have more empathy for those who have blisters or scars from the journey, as well as those who have fallen along the way or taken others with them when they fell.... 

Maybe.  I'd like to think that taking the walk isn't necessary for empathy and that all who take would develop empathy.  Experience has yet to prove that thinking as being anything other than wishful.

In our house gun control wasn't even the first consideration once the shock ot the reality passed.  We immediately went to what will the diagnosis be.  Why?  Well, because we live with a son who has a diagnosis

As far as mental illness goes it is by no means the worse, it needs to be treated or it gives the worse a good run for the money.  When people find out about his diagnosis you can see the fear wash over them.  They wonder if they are safe because 6'3 he's intimidating even if you don't think he is nuts.  They are reluctant to let him play with their small kids, at present his ASD would be more problematic.

What is worse is that we don't make it part of the introductions as in, "this is our son the psycho" and when people find out about the diagnosis later they are often offended that we hid this crucial bit of information from them.  

SG wrote:

What an assinine question to pose...

The need to have to ask the question is assinine.  The question itself is quite a rational one.  Answers to the question run the gamut from absurd to demented.  We've been around that block several times.

SG wrote:

The answer was basically yes.

And that is a 20th Century answer.

SG wrote:

My mom stayed in the hospital for a month. She came out and has taken her medication every day since.

All the years lost and the pains endured that might have never been had this been an option earlier.

SG wrote:

Until then, we will ask how this happens. Until then, we will say, "I hope if there is a hell, they are in it" (something I heard on Sunday)

That all families will never experience anything remotely resembling what you and I have lived through is something I give thanks for.  I wouldn't wish these kind of experiences on anyone and for those who are at the centre of this maelstrom I cannot comprehend what their lives must actually be like.

That said, I wish those on the outside of all of this had even an ounce of understanding.  All the hours I spent restraining my son when he was in a violent rage and most won't even reflect for 15 minutes in an entire lifetime of what exactly it all means for those in the middle.

They offer tut when a policeman's bullet is a cheaper and more certain therapy than the typical drug trials.

They have all the time in the world to commiserate with you after the plan is successfully completed.

Burn in hell indeed.  It probably is more welcoming than any attempted to make life for those who suffer and those who love those who suffer.

Grace and peace to you.

John 

SG's picture

SG

I am not sure, John, how you have one of my posts labelled airclean33.

Other than that it is bang on and worthy of many a read.... I will return to it later...

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi SG,

SG wrote:

I am not sure, John, how you have one of my posts labelled airclean33.

My apologies, I have corrected it.

No problem figuring out who I have been spending a lot of time with eh?  :)

SG wrote:

Other than that it is bang on and worthy of many a read.... I will return to it later...

I'm glad that it is providing you with much to chew on.

Grace and peace to you.

John

stardust's picture

stardust

Rev. John and SG

Thank you so much for sharing. I thought perhaps we should move the posts to a thread on mental illness but it may be better read here.  There are usually a lot more lurkers than those who respond in any case.

I'm so glad that family  conditions are currently better for both of you and that you both emerged into the sunlight after the agonizing days  of hell and  darkness.

After ulcer surgery last year in ICU I had a  devastating hallucination, a long story. Briefly  I was shot at and killed ( unlike in a dream),  teased with a gun to my head ,  acid on a string of  beads was rubbed into my eyes, a bag was being set on fire beside me,  I was kidnapped. Finally in the a.m.  when a nurse came to take my blood I attacked her and  I had to be restrained,  my hands were  tied. My daughter came and stayed the night in ICU with me  because I was so fearful of being killed.

It was brought on I'm assuming by drugs since I have no history of mental illness. It was very very real, not at all like a dream and I did get mixed up later trying to recall reality from this experience. It wasn't discussed by the nurses or staff so I never managed to find out the name of the drug/drugs I had been given. I'm thinking it may have been morphine. Since then I believe I have had a glimpse into what it must be like to be mentally ill. I might say I was "right there, right in the experience, living it ". There was no sense of it being  a dream. This also must be what is meant by "having a bad trip" on drugs.

I'm really surprised  to read in the Toronto Star  that shock treatments are in vogue again since some years. I had no idea. I thought this treatment had been discontinued years ago.

See next post

stardust's picture

stardust

Electroshock — a brute force assault on the brain deemed the most controversial treatment in psychiatry — is being administered across Ontario in record numbers and with scant oversight.

Nearly three decades after a government inquiry called for provincial training and clinical practice standards — an inquiry launched after a Hamilton housewife was prescribed shock therapy against her will — no such guidelines exist.

Data released to the Toronto Star by the Ministry of Health show an almost incomprehensible spike in what is conventionally referred to as electroconvulsive therapy, or ECT.

Considered a “last-resort” therapy to lift severe depression, ECT is being increasingly relied upon to treat patients for whom antidepressants have proved ineffective.

In the fiscal year 2010-2011, the most recent year for which statistics are available, 16,259 ECT treatments were administered throughout Ontario, an increase of more than 350 per cent in seven years. A breakdown by age and gender reveals startling subsets, especially a 1,300-per-cent treatment increase for patients in the 55-59 age cohort. The statistics also reveal that women outnumber men nearly two to one in the 60-to-64 age bracket.

ECT patients across Ontario interviewed by the Star described numerous cognitive side effects as a result of the treatment. Though some credit ECT for breaking their extreme anguish, they say the practice must be regulated.

Some want it abolished.

Annette VanEs was a single mother in her 40s when she underwent a series of 40 treatments that, she says, resulted in catastrophic memory loss. “My brain goes into this scramble mode,” she says of her frame of mind now, 12 years later. “Scrambling, scrambling . . . You know that you lived. You went places. You made friends. You talked to people. You went to parties. You had values. You had ideas. You had beliefs. And now they’re not there.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1302071--electroshock-therapy-more-prevalent-in-ontario-but-guidelines-are-minimal

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Stephen Pinker's fine book "The Better Angels of our Natures", which looks at trends of violence over history and finds that it has been going down and has an interesting bit on violence in the USA that pertains to the recent gun incident

chansen's picture

chansen

I'm just going to leave this here:

stardust's picture

stardust

Guns for Christmas.....?......its not a very pleasant thought but today's Star front page says "Schools Need Guns " NRA leader insists. I'll post the article. Meanwhile here's an idea of what some of the big ole boys are paid in the NRA. Its too good to let go.

National Rifle Assoc.

So what did the NRA pay Lapierre to say that the best way to stop school shootings is to have the government put every mentally ill person in the nation on a watch list and arm school personnel to defend schools like banks?

Just under a million bucks.

That’s according to the most recent NRA filings with the IRS.

The numbers are a bit out of date. The last filing of a Form 990 from the NRA was in 2010. Still, if you’re interested in the numbers behind America’s most powerful gun lobby, it makes for interesting reading.

The organization’s mission is simply stated, right at the top: “To protect and defend the U.S. Constitution.” To accomplish this, in 2010 the NRA reported that it had 781 full time employees, 125,000 volunteers and generated revenues of $22.5 million.

As for salaries, fifty-six people in the organization earned more than $100,000 in 2010—and 10 made more than $250,000. Lapierre does not top the list. Kayne B. Robinson, the executive director of general operations does. He was paid just over $1 million. Lapierre was second, pulling in $970,000 in reportable and estimated comp.

Chris W. Cox, the executive director of the group’s lobbying efforts, was third. He earned just over $666,000.

stardust's picture

stardust

Very discouraging news as we head into the New Year 2013.

Toronto Star Dec.22,2012

When the National Rifle Association, America’s powerful pro gun lobby, finally broke its silence following the tragic shooting last week in Newtown, Conn., it was with a shot heard around the world.

Silent in the days since the shootings that killed 20 first-grade students and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School, NRA executive vice-president Wayne LaPierre called for armed security guards in all American schools and insisted that the solution to ending gun violence was with more guns.

“The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” said Wayne LaPierre, the NRA’s executive vice-president. LaPierre, whose news conference was interrupted several times by protesters, made his remarks in a prepared statement. He did not answer questions.

“Why is the idea of a gun good when it’s used to protect the president of our country or our police but bad when it’s used to protect our children in our schools?” LaPierre asked. “They’re our kids. They’re our responsibility. And it’s not just our duty to protect them. It’s our right to protect them.”

LaPierre also attacked the media for trying “their best to conceal” violent video games and “blood-soaked” slasher films. This type of thing “sells — and sows — violence against its own people.”

The reaction to the NRA’s news conference was swift and, often, shocked.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who started an organization called Mayors Against Illegal Guns, said in a statement that the NRA’s comment marks “a shameful evasion of the crisis facing our country.”

“They offered a paranoid, dystopian vision of a more dangerous and violent America where everyone is armed and no place is safe,” Bloomberg told The Associated Press.

Filmmaker Michael Moore, who directed the 2002 American documentary Bowling for Columbine after the school shooting there in 1999, wrote in a Twitter posting: “NRA head says everyone is to blame but them. The most deranged, delusional ‘press conference’ I’ve ever seen.”

Britain’s Channel 4 News aired coverage of the news conference and, according to one Twitter user, twice advised viewers that they were not watching a spoof.

Kristin Goss, an associate professor of public policy at Duke University and author of Disarmed: The Missing Movement for Gun Control in America, said it was “fiscally doubtful” that the U.S. could afford to introduce teams of armed guards at its 120,000 schools.

“Some schools have three or four buildings,” Goss said in a telephone interview. “The NRA’s plan would be very tough to do.”

Even as the NRA, which boasts roughly 4.3 million members and a $300 million budget, was staging its news conference in Washington, two men and a woman were murdered during a shooting outside Pittsburgh, becoming the latest footnotes in the pitched battle over an American’s right to bear arms.

Every day, 80 Americans die from gun violence, said Adam Winkler, a UCLA law professor and author of Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America.

“The NRA gives us more of the same old tired clichés,” Winkler said in a telephone interview. “They say the only answer to gun violence is more guns.”

While the NRA has said its firearms experts have trained 11,000 police over the years, Winkler said shootouts typically lead to innocent bystanders being killed. During a shootout outside the Empire State Building in New York, for instance, Winkler pointed out that police shot and wounded nine bystanders.

“The answer to violence is not more shootouts,” Winkler said. “It’s getting guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.”

The NRA is widely considered the most powerful lobbying group in the United States, Goss said, and its message will be well received by many Americans.

“They talked about how movies and video games have become too violent, and that broadside was not surprising,” Goss said. “I think it was a shrewd move. A number of Americans would agree with them.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1305962--nra-calls-for-armed-security-guards-in-all-american-schools-insists-solution-to-ending-gun-violence-is-with-more-guns

stardust's picture

stardust

Dec.18- Democracy Now

Michael Moore speaks out  about the Newtown shootings and gun violence.

61 mass shootings since Columbine.

Americans kill people.

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/12/18/americans_kill_people_michael_moo...

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

People are calling their bluff. That's encouraging, at least. Also, with regard to mentioning video games and violent films encouraging a culture of violence, I agree--which is what they're hoping people there will do. They're hoping people will agree without analyzing any further. However, many also see that  throwing that in as their argument is a red herring to divert attention from their responsibility in the matter of gun violence.

graeme's picture

graeme

We shouldn't refer to the NRA as if it were some independent organization. It is a creature of weapons manufacturers in the US. It's Colt, Remington, and Smith and Wesson et al. The reasons for it are much the same as the for bombing of Libya - to make profits for the sponsors. And the sponsors have run a nifty propaganda campaign to suck in tens of thousands of volunteers to help them in their potection of profits.

I don't expect any serious gun legislation. Quite the contrary, I expect Harper to edge onto the bandwagon.

chansen's picture

chansen

Graeme, you make a good point about the NRA, but I'm not as cynical as you about the outcome. I think something positive will happen. I think the NRA's attempt to double-down with the arming schools idea is backfiring, and I think there is enough momentum between the democrat election wins and the outpouring of public sentiment, that some form of extra gun control will happen. If it doesn't happen in the wake of 20 dead kids, then I'll join your cynical bandwagon.

stardust's picture

stardust

Recent shootings or intentions ...the bullets keep flying.....and these are only the ones we know about.

Dec.21/12

At least four people are dead and three Pennsylvania state troopers injured after a person allegedly began “shooting at random” along a rural road, KDKA-TV reported on Friday.

The station reported that one of the people killed was the alleged shooter. Two other men and one woman were killed during the incident in Frankstown Township in the central part of the state.

WJAC-TV reported that the suspect was “mobile” and shot victims along the road.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/21/report-four-killed-in-pennsylvania-shooting-incident/

47 guns found in man's home - Indiana

A man in northern Indiana was arrested Saturday after threatening an elementary school near his home.

Cedar Lake police officers found 47 guns and ammunition in the home of 60-year-old Von Meyer following his arrest, according to the Associated Press. Police were called after he allegedly threatened to set his wife on fire and “kill as many people as he could” at the Jane Ball Elementary School less than 1,000 feet from his home.

He was a “known member of the Invaders Motorcycle Gang,”

Man firing at a theatre ,Texas

An off-duty sheriff’s deputy in San Antonio, Texas prevented a mass shooting at a movie theater on Sunday night, according to local reports.

Gunfire shattered the calm on Sunday night around 9:30 p.m. at the Mayan Palace Theatre, NBC affiliate WOAI-TV in San Antonio reported.

The alleged shooter was 19-year-old Jesus Manuel Garcia, who burst out of the nearby Chinese restaurant where he worked and begin firing at the theater next door. Police also told WOAI-TV that he fired at a patrol car as he was heading toward the theater.

Before Garcia could walk through the entrance, however, he was shot four times by an off-duty sheriff’s deputy working at the theater. The officer’s name was not released.

more

Philadelphia
Student arrested, guns found Dec. 21/12

Northampton Township police arrested a Council Rock High School South student and seized two handguns from his bedroom after he allegedly threatened to kill students at the school.

Police say the ninth-grader was taken into custody Thursday night after a student alerted a parent that the teen verbally made a threat that he would bring a gun and knives into the school Friday morning to kill students and teachers.

Detective Sgt. Bill Klein says two 9 mm handguns were in plain sight in the boy's bedroom when police went to his home. Police say they also found a fake AK 47 in the 14-year-old's room.

The 14-year-old is being held at the Bucks County Detention Center, according to police.

NJ school to bring in armed guards

stardust's picture

stardust

I'll agree with graeme on the gun issues. School kids will wear bullet proof back packs and vests  perhaps. There will be a school guard who will prove to be ineffective.

During the 2008 presidential campaign, the NRA spent $10 million.[21] In 2011, the organization refused an offer to discuss gun control with U.S. President Barack Obama.

In response to the invitation, NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre said "Why should I or the N.R.A. go sit down with a group of people that have spent a lifetime trying to destroy the Second Amendment in the United States?" In his statement, LaPierre named Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder (both Democrats) as examples of the "people" he referred to.[2

In 2005, the NRA, the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), and others successfully sued New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin and others to stop unconstitutional gun seizures in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. As of March 2006, documents were filed by NRA, SAF, et al. seeking to hold Nagin and others in contempt of court for violating the consent order. The case is National Rifle Association of America, Inc., et al. v. C. Ray Nagin et al..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rifle_Association

These findings are not surprising given that surveys also show that over 40 percent of Americans have a gun in their home. 

So the NRA's power does make sense: Many Americans own guns and some subset of these people are fanatically committed to retaining their guns.

As Sam Stein and Paul Blumenthal write, "The group's great clout lies in the sheer number of people it can mobilize. The NRA boasts four million members, whom it spends a large piece of its budget engaging."

stardust's picture

stardust

This is about  U.S. arms used in war but read how hellish  it is and almost mentally deranged regarding the food packets  dropped being the same colour as the bombs?

I don't swear very often but WTF......?....isn't this over the top? I can't help but wonder who is crazy....?....and look at the numbers dropped in Iraq in early 2003?  This is why graeme is asking why the U.S. makes such a fuss over a few of its own school children killed. Do we have numbers of how many children  were killed in Iraq or Afghan? Of course we can't see it......  its not in our own back yard ..... its not us....its them......!!!!

Quote:

From 2001 through 2002, the United States dropped 1,228 cluster bombs containing 248,056 submunitions in Afghanistan before the U.S. government suspended use of cluster munitions in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2003, CRS said.

“Confusion over U.S. cluster submunitions (BLU-97/B) that were the same color and size as air-dropped humanitarian food packets played a major role in the U.S. decision to suspend cluster munitions use in Afghanistan.”

According to CRS, U.S. and British forces used almost 13,000 cluster munitions containing an estimated 1.8 million to 2 million submunitions during the first three weeks of combat in Iraq in 2003.

graeme's picture

graeme

What the American people want doesn't really matter. The American politcal system is wildely corrupt. All congressmen depend on donations for their election campaigns - and the bulk of those donations don't come from maw and paw. They come from big business - like the arms business, and, in the NRA the arms business has a huge number of volunteers and donors - as well as the money that comes in from the arms companies.

As recent study shows that films have a trememdous effect on violence, expecially among young people. They also score tops at the box office. So the film industry in spending big buck on buying congressmen to re-word the rating system so it can attrract even younger viewers to it violent films.

When the American banks crashed and begged for a bailout, the crash was due to criminal behaviour. But the got the bailout; and not a single charge was laid. When I huge British bank was caught, just weeks ago, using its American branches to lunder drug and terrorist money (and knowingly doing so) in the hundreds of billions, it paid a relatively minor fine. No criminal charges were laid - though the action for both drugs and terrorists was clearly illegal.

You can caught with some drugs on you, even small amounts, you spend time in Jail. They even suspect you're a potential terrorist, and you can be jailed without trial and tortured for years. But play big time with drug cartel, terrorists and international prostitution rings, and  you get a slap on the wrist.

The banks pay congress for that protection. I don't think we can begin to understand the extent of corruption that runs through the American political system and much of the society as a whole.

stardust's picture

stardust

graeme

I gotcha....its too late.....the horse got out of the barn  years ago. I do believe.

A spokesperson  on Piers Morgan  CNN last night said there are millions of those powerful  assault rifles or whatever, the ones that kill 100 people in one minute in the hands of the people, U.S.A.

Piers argued with him and said ......" You mean thousands.....?" and the man said...."No, I mean millions" ......owned by ordinary citizens. He said there is no such thing as a gun that holds only one or two bullets like some people are suggesting. The gun magazines - sp- aren't built like that.

stardust's picture

stardust

Here are some videos of Piers Morgan's interviews about guns ( not the most recent) if they are still available on CNN. See the playlist. This is before the petition to deport him.

Geoffrey Canada, president and CEO of the Harlem Children's Zone, to share his insight and reactions:

"That was the most irresponsible, and I think, hurtful response to an American tragedy that I have heard," said Canada, referencing LaPierre's suggestion of more firearms as an answer for the current epidemic of gun violence in the country. "He should be ashamed of himself to come and tell the American people 'I am not going to do anything reasonable – not one thing.'"

As the pro-gun lobby continues to laud the value of military grade weapons – the likes of which have been used in several recent mass killings – Canada voices his opposition:

"It is shameful because they can give you not one logical reason that an American citizen needs an assault weapon. Not one. They aren't good for hunting, they serve no purpose," says the 60-year-old social activist. "In the hands of someone really mentally ill, they can do damage that is inconceivable to us."

stardust's picture

stardust

Here's more fire from Piers Morgan that has gotten him into deep water:

During a fiery interview with Gun Owners of America’s Larry Pratt earlier this week, Morgan resorted to ad hominem attacks and name calling when Pratt began schooling him with facts on gun control. Watch the video below.

SAF Alan Gottleib

Piers explodes at gun advocates

Pilgrims Progress's picture

Pilgrims Progress

(M) Share if you would support this. Image from The Other 98%.Posted on the Being Liberal fan page.

Pilgrims Progress's picture

Pilgrims Progress

Oops! Having trouble resizing this....

The caption reads " Suggest putting a teacher in every gun store."

graeme's picture

graeme

That is good.

gecko46's picture

gecko46

"Celebrating the Prince of Peace in the Land of Guns"  by Michael Moore

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-moore/gun-violence-united-states_b...

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

I wonder why a good citizen with a gun didn't intervene and save two volunteer  firmen being shot dead and another couple being wounded as they attended a fire in Webster, New York State, on Christmas Eve…  not enough "good guys" with assault rifles in the neighborhood, I guess.

It makes me sick: the NRA topping the global list of fantasist morons.

stardust's picture

stardust

Mike.....!!!

Isn't it something hellish, a world gone mad. It seems the gun man set the fire on purpose with the intention to kill the firemen when they arrived.

Its beyond.....sick....!

Dec. 24/12

WEBSTER, N.Y. - A gunman ambushed four volunteer firefighters responding to an intense pre-dawn house fire Monday morning in New York State, killing two before ending up dead himself, authorities said. Police used an armoured vehicle to evacuate more than 30 nearby residents.

The gunman fired at the firefighters when they arrived at the blaze near the Lake Ontario shore in the town of Webster, Police Chief Gerald Pickering said. The first police officer who arrived chased the suspect and exchanged gunfire with him, authorities said.

"It does appear it was a trap" for the first responders to the fire, Pickering said at a news conference.

Authorities didn't say how the gunman died or whether anyone might have died in the fire itself.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/firefighters+shot+scene+blaze+near+Rochester+dead+police/7740944/story.html#ixzz2G0FYKhGp

stardust's picture

stardust

Australia destroyed 700,000 guns in 1996 so something really can be done even if its a lot of work and would take months.

National Post:

Supporters of gun control often cite Australia’s dramatic response to a 1996 shooting spree in the southern state of Tasmania that killed 35 people.

The slaughter sparked outrage across the country and within 12 days federal and state governments had agreed to impose strict new gun laws, including a ban on semi-automatic rifles like the Colt AR-15 used by the Tasmania killer. The Connecticut killer used a similar, rapid-firing weapon.

Gun ownership was restricted to people with genuine need or sporting shooters with gun club membership. Some 700,000 guns were bought back and destroyed by the federal government from owners who no longer qualified to possess them.

The changes were unpopular with politicians from rural areas with high numbers of hunters and farmers. But, as in Britain after Dunblane, the strength of public opinion swayed politicians from both government and opposition parties.

Gun laws also were strengthened in Canada after the 1989 slaying of 14 female engineering students in Montreal by a woman-hating gunman, and in Germany after a 19-year-old expelled student killed 16 people, including 12 teachers, in Erfurt in 2002.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/18/mass-shootings-across-the-world-have-spurred-strict-gun-control-laws-some-that-are-working/

Edit - link...?

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/firefighters+shot+scene+blaze+near+Rochester+dead+police/7740944/story.html#ixzz2G0FYKhGp

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

More gun-related stuff

Interview between Piers Morgan & a former Marine.  Nice interview on both sides

What I got from this video is mainly: it's all aboot trust, citizens trusting other citizens and the state trusting citizens.

Witch's picture

Witch

The obvious solution to the problem...is more guns, right?

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

heck, you should check out the statistics for Anguilla -- 7.14 firearm homicides per 100,000 peeps; eek!

or Venezuela -- 38.97! ick!

adjust the search parameters around and, well, lies, damn lies and statistics :3

(here's the guardian article with links to the stats i listed above)

(here's that really cool death risk chart -- so many things we should stop, like personal vehicles)

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

"we are as g_ds and we must get good at it"

--stewart brand

developing news (a bit of of future shock for me)

Defense Distributed

"the US group that developed open-source 3D-printed gun parts has launched a file-sharing website for blueprints to 3D-printed illicit items including weapons, drugs and medical equipment.

Defcad.com, launched at the SXSW technology conference in Austin, Texas, will be "the world's first unblockable, open-source search engine for all 3D-printable parts," according to founder and Texas law student Cody Wilson."

the latest:

"With the approval from the U.S. Government, Defense Distributed head Cory Wilson can sell and transport the pieces they've been making, but is required to keep records of all production and transactions. The nonprofit has created prototypes over the past few months, including the most recent: a 3D-printed semi-automatic that fires more than 600 rounds."

3-d printers are quite affordable now

the Global Human Spring continues

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

See video
MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

Funny guy… not so funny issue…

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

quite a clumsy sketch -- i love it :3

you can`t improve on perfection: bill hicks

See video

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Here are a few more

See video

let there be light

(oh wait, that's aboot another form of gun, religious folk...)

See video

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

talk aboot control

(and limited magazine size)

See video

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

so i've been tooling around

putting myself in living in washington state

shopping for guns

am looking for something a leetle different

a leetle less macho

a leetle more pretty

and there are so many to choose from

the Pink Gun website, where you can dress up a variety of pistols in what looks like bitmaps...i like the blue paisley pattern

or this one is pretty sweet

and yes, coloured bullets

ooooo, art!

this one is so me

what to bring to tea

so many to choose from

now, i'd learn how to use them, clean them...i wouldn't carry bullets in em...hopefully get  a conceal & carry permit...

and i'd probably name it my Spoon or some such...because to guns rights peeps, guns're tools...and a spoon is a tool, so...

plus it could be a conversation starter...especially in open-carry situations...

and so it goes

Back to Politics topics
cafe