Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Favorite 2011 songs

Another year over, a new one has begun. So, what songs from 2011 did you like? I've been trying to figure out which songs that I like were even released in 2011. For instance, the "new" albums from Arcade Fire and Mumford & Sons, two of my recent faves, were actually 2010 albums.

However, one that I know was a 2011 release was the latest from Feist. The album is called "Metals" and the fantastic first single is "The Circle Married the Line".

Mendalla

Share this

Comments

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Mendalla, I must have wax in my ears, what is she saying? I can't seem to distinguish the words she's singing. Do you have the words for the song so I can read them? The titles intriguing.

Elanorgold's picture

Elanorgold

Gosh, good question. I'll go check my cd stack...

Well, I seem to have bought two new albums released this year. Here's a clip from each:

Radiohead: King of Limbs lp, Lotus Flower (I got this at xmas):

Well, what the heck, I realy like the second to last track too, gentle and soothing, Give Up the Ghost:

And dear old Shatner released a funny one last year. This one really needs a great video. She Blinded Me With Science:

Bjork released a new album too, and I like this single, Moon:

I've got a few more... I'll do it in two posts so I don't loose my work!

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

I've been getting into Adele lately:

This one just makes me giggle:

And this one is simply beautiful:

Elanorgold's picture

Elanorgold

Almost forgot I got the new Duran album last May, with this awesome song on it which I love. The Man Who Stole a Leopard. Now I had a great clip for it in my favorites I was going to share, but EM bloody I have blocked it, so I'll have to post this fan camera concert clip instead, which has good vocals but the bass isn't as good. It's just awesome on the album, but still not a bad concert video:

Kate Bush's new album 50 Words for Snow had apparantly come out this past November, though we didn't find any coppies int he stores... Here's a beautiful, slow, 10 minuite long song, if your in the mood to slow down and be enchanted, with lovely fan made video:

So that's 3, 2011 albums for me. Hubby also got 3, 2011 albums. I also really like some songs from Oak Ash and Thorn, by various artists making songs out of the writting of Rudyard Kipling, but the songs I like best haven't been uploaded. : ( Though I am planning a slideshow for one as my next Youtube project.

He also got Emeralds by Robin Guthrie (of the Cocteau Twins), and we went to the concert. Here's a track from that lovely experience:

And finally, he got a covers of Dark Side of the Moon & Wish You Were Here cd frm Mojo Magazine, and we both really like this cover of the Great Gig in the Sky, minus wailing gospel singer, hoorah!

Elanorgold's picture

Elanorgold

That's Great Gig in the Sky by "The Last Hurrah!".

Elanorgold's picture

Elanorgold

Enjoyed the muppets and the Liberia Somegal.

sighsnootles's picture

sighsnootles

as much as it pains me to admit it, i have to say that my favorite song this past year was 'party rock anthem' by LMFAO.

i haven't felt this embarrased since i caught myself humming 'spice up your life'...

EasternOrthodox's picture

EasternOrthodox

Slightly off topic:

For some hilarious reading, read the #lessambitiousrocksongs hashtage on Twitter.

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

Sighs - that was what I came up with right away, along with their "Sexy & I Know It" which our whole family sings & laughs through.  Nice to see some very cool guys with both a sense of humour and healthy self-deprecation!!

I like Pink "Perfect" and Lady Gaga.

My favourite bands haven't put anything new out lately, like Aerosmith, so I live through my kids :)

We had some great youth group times listening to music lyrics and talking about important stuff.  Biggest conversation was about Rhianna & then Chris Brown's new release last year - none of the teens were interested in his music now that he was known to be such an ass.  Her song though (about s&m) was equally disliked.

'Playing for Change' - (google them, or check Lb's several posts about them) - feed my 'music that matters' tastebud.  Groove in G, Satchita, and best-ever version of Gimme Shelter have been fantastic additions to the year.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Rolling in the Deep by Adele

Someone Like You by Adele

Born This Way, Lady Gaga

SG's picture

SG

Tangled Up In Love - The Rifles

SG's picture

SG

Show Me The Way- The Cranberries

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Saskatchewan indie band The Sheepdogs made a big splash when Rolling Stone readers voted them on to the cover of the magazine.

Emerald Isle from Whitehorse is another good Canadian song from 2011. The band, by the way, is husband and wife team Luke Doucet and Melissa McLelland.

Mendalla

Elanorgold's picture

Elanorgold

Hmmm, some interesting stuff to check out here.

I threw together a slideshow for Jon Boden's "Frankie's Trade" off that Rudyard Kipling album I mentioned. Great song. Goegeous voice. Cool phonograph.

Elanorgold's picture

Elanorgold

That Sheepdogs, is that Woodstock? Or Glastonbury maybe?? Whoa! Very 70's! Who is it they sound like?? So familiar... CCR? Alabama?

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Elanorgold wrote:

That Sheepdogs, is that Woodstock? Or Glastonbury maybe?? Whoa! Very 70's! Who is it they sound like?? So familiar... CCR? Alabama?

Actually, I've found myself comparing them to various bands from the late 60s-early 70s. There's one song that they played in a live set I listened to (on CBC's Canada Live podcase) that I thought sounded kind of Doobie Bros.-ish. CCR and Skynard are a couple others that have to mind with some of their songs. There's one that even sounded a bit Moody Blues-ish. They are generally very tuned in to seventies American rock, I think, but putting their own spin on it so that it's fresh and listenable even for those of us who grew up with that music.

Mendalla

Elanorgold's picture

Elanorgold

Doobie Brothers, I almost listed them. That was one of my first albums, Mom and Dad let me have theirs. Inside is a bunch of naked peole draped in scarves. I liked Listen to the Music, and even Jesus is Just Alright. I remember mom asking me why I liked that song (chuckle). Ah Lynard Skynard, I only am familiar with one of their songs, fromt he Northern Exposure soundtrack. I am finding that sort of music and look to be very cool amongst young musicians. The record shop in Victoria has one or two of those 70's beared long hair guys. Looks like he stepped out of the 70's. At first I thought he was really out of touch, then I figured it out! It works well for my hubby! They think he's cool too! We are able to get trade in money there for lp's and cd's. Hubby picks up potentials at Value Village with them in mind.

sighsnootles's picture

sighsnootles

again, with my apologies....  i can't believe i love a song with the lyric 'im rollin' through these hos like draino'...

Elanorgold's picture

Elanorgold

squirrellover's picture

squirrellover

Heather Small - Proud.  Turns out the song came out in 2004 or 2005 but I only just heard it last year! 

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Ah, forgot this one. The album is coming out shortly, but this song was released as a preview single in 2011 so I'm saying it counts. Besides, you can't have a WC music thread without a visit from Leonard.

Mendalla

Back to Popular Culture topics