crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Jesus Fortells His death and Resurrection - Mark 8:31

Does anyone want to comment on  this passage " Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adultrous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels" Verse 38 NRSV

Any help will be appreciated.

Share this

Comments

cjms's picture

cjms

ch - I see it as emotional blackmail stemming from condemnation of the author's group to a rival group...cms

Atheisto's picture

Atheisto

Hmm...if many years after I supposedly do something...somebody else writes about me supposedly talking about doing those things is this still called "foretelling".  If so....I am one of the world's foremost foretellers.

I think if anything you are describing 20:20 hindsight.  Except for the fact that it's just a story.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Can I bump this up?

jazzman's picture

jazzman

Comment?  In what context?

How do you view this passage?  Do you see it as a prediction, or do you see it as something other than a prediction?

Jazzman

LumbyLad's picture

LumbyLad

Its pretty obvious. The writer thought that Jesus thought that in the end times, Jesus would return to earth with the angels and somehow judge those who ashamed of what Jesus had to say. Well, perhaps not judge, in this passage, but surely give them a good scolding. What Jesus believed about the end of the world or the second coming is his belief, and I leave it to him. He did, after all, buy into the Messiah thing.

So what I want to comment is that I follow a lot of Jesus' teachings about Love but I think he was really off coarse in his belief that he was the Messiah. He pretty much made it up from the prophesies of the Old Testament. Everyone is allowed their own belief, for this is about faith, not science. So although I choose to call myself a Christian for want of a more appropriate word, I believe Jesus got a lot of things wrong (or his scribes did...).

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

LumblyLad, do you really think that Jesus thought he was the Messiah or  are these the words that the writers put in Jesus' mouth?

Arminius's picture

Arminius

According to, was it Mark?, Jesus urged his disciples not to tell anyone that he, Jesus, was the Messiah.

Whether this means that he merely wanted to counteract the rumor that he was the Messiah, and did not believe it himself; or believed himself to be the Messiah, and did not want this to be known, is not obvious from that passage.

cjms's picture

cjms

crazyheart wrote:

LumblyLad, do you really think that Jesus thought he was the Messiah or  are these the words that the writers put in Jesus' mouth?

I agree, CH.  I think that they were an expression of what the community thought...cms

Back to Religion and Faith topics