Alex's picture

Alex

John 14:6, Abbott and Costello, and Stewie from the Family Guy

John 14:6 (New International Version)

6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Many people claim that this passage to supports the view, that Jesus is claiming that the only way to God, or happiness, or goodness is by following him (Jesus).

But what if the writer is actually making the claim that the only way to God is through yourself. Translators and others migt have got it wrong, just like Abbott and Costello. I was thinking this when, last night I was watching Family Guy and saw the following sketch. Very funny.

It reminded me of Abbott and Costello's classic "Who's on first?" baseball sketch in their 1945 film "The Naughty Nineties"

What if the writer of John was really trying to convey the message  that the only way to God is to start with the first person singular, and not Jesus. I and me, really meaning us and we?

The problem with language is demonstarted by Abbott and Costello, and the Family Guy sketch illustrates the refusal of two people to agree on the use of language.

Anybody agree? or disagree or at least laughed?

Share this

Comments

nighthawk's picture

nighthawk

I guess we'd have to look at the original text and see if the language allowed such interpretation.  How do the English and Greek pronouns compare?

Edit: I don't mean this in the sense that, if not you are wrong and this interpretation is worthless; rather, I'm just curious if it communicates what John was trying to say.

chansen's picture

chansen

Alex wrote:
Anybody agree? or disagree or at least laughed?

The bible and exactly who wrote exactly what, decades or centuries after the supposed events it describes, and its many translations don't interest me much, but I'll always take the time to thank anyone who links a "Who's On First" video.

Thank you.

clergychickita's picture

clergychickita

Of course I laughed at the Family Guy -- always good for a chuckle!

As for the interpretation -- I think it's a bit of a stretch.  But look at the context -- he is not speaking "to the crowd" but specifically to the disciples.  John writes this happening on the eve of his arrest -- Judas has left to betray him -- Jesus is left speaking with the 11 other disciples.   Jesus has just said, "Don't worry, I have to leave you, but I will come back, and besides, you know where I'm going."  But Thomas (I love him!) responds saying, "Wha?  We don't know where you are going!  How can we know the way??!!!!"

In this context, Jesus is saying "hey disciples, for you, the map is right here.  I am the way to follow - you don't have to look elsewhere.  The Father and I are one, so therefore, if you come to God, it's through me.  There's no difference -- the Father and I are one.  You've known me, so therefore you've known the Father.  Don't worry about what you don't know -- you know enough already."

So that's my take -- it's not meant to speak to "outsiders" at all -- it is not meant to be an exclusive text -- it is supposed to be words of comfort for followers of Jesus.

shalom!

Alex's picture

Alex

clergychikita says, But Thomas (I love him!) responds saying, "Wha?  We don't know where you are going!  How can we know the way??!!!!"

In this context, Jesus is saying "hey disciples, for you, the map is right here.  I am the way to follow - you don't have to look elsewhere.  The Father and I are one, so therefore, if you come to God, it's through me.  There's no difference -- the Father and I are one.  You've known me, so therefore you've known the Father.  Don't worry about what you don't know -- you know enough already."

But could note the writer be implying that Jesus is declaring don't worry if I leave you because like I have shown you God the father is in you like he is in me. No matter what happens to me, listen and God will always speak to you inside you.

clergychickita's picture

clergychickita

I get where you are going with the interpretation, but I don't think the text (or the other "jesus sayings") supports that interpretation.  The writer of John was really big on demonstrating the uniqueness of Jesus as "the cosmic christ" -- I don't think he'd be hip to your modern interpretation.  Not that your theology isn't legit, I just don't think this passage supports it.

shalom

Alex's picture

Alex

Take at Look at the George Bush Version

clergychickita's picture

clergychickita

snicker!

Back to Religion and Faith topics
cafe