blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Legalism vs Grace

Legalism vs Grace

So what is Grace and what is Legalism,  we read and interpret and debate, we should obey God , yet I obey better that you as one pointed in another thread we should not play the lotto its worldly and we are relying on our self and not God to provide .

Legalism to  my understanding can lead to cultish religion and Grace leads to freedom, as stated in

Galatians 1:6-9    I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

Those are some pretty strong words , as Jesus had some strong words of the legalists of His day. Why do churched not see legalism as what it is, a sin, yet its preached.

So what is legalism and how do we obey Gods word without being legalistic and preaching it to others? 

Share this

Comments

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

blackbelt1961 wrote:

Neo wrote:
Ok Unsafe, but do try to be nice to people. And implying that people are of satan, (when you really don't know), and then saying "peace" at the end is not being nice.

Neo, you quote Jesus alot ,  was Jesus being nice when he said 

You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Just saying 

He was talking to people who claimed to be God's only children because they were children of Abraham. I believe he was challenging them on their legalism and exclusivity. They called him a Samaritan as an insult. And yet, it was the Samaritan in another story, who Jesus praised as most faithful for stopping to help someone- not because of their religion or pious legal views. The Samaritan just did the right thing regardless. That's what matters. That's what it's all about. Neo never denies that regardless of his belief system.

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Neo wrote:
Ok Unsafe, but do try to be nice to people. And implying that people are of satan, (when you really don't know), and then saying "peace" at the end is not being nice.

You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Just saying 

He was talking to people who claimed to be God's only children because they were children of Abraham. I believe he was challenging them on their legalism and exclusivity. They called him a Samaritan as an insult. And yet, it was the Samaritan in another story, who Jesus praised as most faithful for stopping to help someone- not because of their religion or pious legal views. The Samaritan just did the right thing regardless. That's what matters. That's what it's all about. Neo never denies that regardless of his belief system.

its intresting that Jesus would call anyone sons of satan 

Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

He called Peter Satan, too. Old middle eastern hyperbole for "stop being a jerk"?

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio wrote:
He called Peter Satan, too. Old middle eastern hyperbole for "stop being a jerk"?

so Jesus uses the jerk hyoerbole alot uh? but then Jesus sees this hyperbole aka Jerk fall 

He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.

Neo's picture

Neo

Kimmio wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Neo wrote:

Just saying 

He was talking to people who claimed to be God's only children because they were children of Abraham. I believe he was challenging them on their legalism and exclusivity. They called him a Samaritan as an insult. And yet, it was the Samaritan in the story, who Jesus praised as most faithful for stopping to help someone- not because of their religion or pious legal views. The Samaritan just did the right thing regardless. That's what matters.

Thanks for context Kimmio, I didn't know that. What I do know is he wasn't saying all those that don't follow the official party line of the religion that will follow him belong to the devil. Which is what I'm being accused of here.

Probably the most important take-away from the whole New Testament, IMHO, is in the new commandment, that we "love another". And not just love for the other new born Christians, as some have suggested he meant.

The wages of sin is death, over and over again, until we get it right. This is the love and grace of God, that the grave is end for the personal self only, not the divine Soul within us. But this is going against the accepted doctrine that the early church created... guilty as charged again.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

BB, He prophesied that justice would happen. That evil had no power over good.

Neo doesn't talk about your beliefs being of Satan is all I can say. He's the kind of person, I think, who would help you if you were hurt and not expect you to convert to his beliefs. You refute legalism and yet don't see how you're being legalistic.

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio wrote:
BB, He prophesied that justice would happen. That evil had no power over good.

Thanks for admiting that Evil exists and a ang that it has a source 

Quote:

Neo doesn't talk about your beliefs being of Satan is all I can say. He's the kind of person, I think, who would help you if you were hurt and not expect you to convert to his beliefs. You refute legalism and yet don't see how you're being legalistic.

I would help Neo if need be, but  I do not share his beliefe nore do I beleive it is From the Creator , 

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

not to mention just what Satan of the many is blackbelt referring to here?

the one of the sons of g_d satan in the book of job who is an employee of g_d?

the abstract concept as adversary or that which blocks one's path?

Melek Taus of Yazidism?

lower nature of humanity in Baha i Faith?

blackbelt feeling cornered again and lashing out?

blackbelt feeling male and abstractly challenging you?

blackbelt wanting to go out on a date with you, Italian style?

the djinn and iblis of Islam?  man Neo, if blackbelt is calling you a djinn, can i get a wish? :3

the free'er of humanity along with g_d, Jesus, etc to fight the creator of universe?

its amazing that, even though Neo's not 'Christian', he still can think of Satan in a negative sense.  Damn Christian brainwashing :3

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

It's not our place to say so. Is Neo advocating any behaviour that harms people? No. But you shun Neo just for expressing his ideas. What it comes down to are the top 2 commandments and that's really it. You can see the behaviours of people in the Bible who nit pick over legalisms vs. those who care about others and the rest is just commentary- Jesus trying time and time again to get people to understand that their actions show how faithful they are at heart. Believing that doing the right thing trumps fighting over status according to different cultural/ religious views. That's in the heart and mind waiting to be realized. The text is commentary to help us understand. It's really just about do you care about life and others regardless of their ethnicity, religion, whatever, for a better future for all, or not? That requires no religion just a belief that anything's possible. I do not believe Jesus would walk into any denomination and say "you're the righteous ones, those other people are not". It's about people's intentions and actions more than religious commentary.

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio wrote:
I do not believe Jesus would walk into any denomination and say "you're the righteous ones, those other people are not". It's about people's intentions and actions more than religious commentary.

and i do not believe your correct, Jesus contiunally pointed to himself , Jesus is excluslive among all religions 

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Jesus, I believe, pointed to himself insofar as the values he was trying to get across- the essence of who He was and still is. What was in his heart. What we have a choice is that essence, that helps, and not that which harms. He was humble. Humble enough to die for what he believed rather than fight about it. When you believe in someone you believe in what they're about. You trust them- by how they care, by their sincerity, not by how insistant they are that you follow their religious rules. You're making the symbolism into the rule rather than looking at the intent behind it.

Neo's picture

Neo

blackbelt1961 wrote:

Neo wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Neo wrote:
What really bothers me about this belief in unmerited grace is not so much that God can shine grace on anyone It likes, and forgive the sins of anyone It likes at any time, it's the idea that if one doesn't believe in such a doctrine then they must walking with the devil down the wrong path. Really? Since when did "doctrine" become more important?

i sometimes wonder if you remember what you write , you earlier said matriya interprets for you, you follow Alice Bailys teachings.? 

and you have no doctrine?????????

Doctrine is a set rules and beliefs that define an organized religion or political party. I belong to neither. I do have certain beliefs, but who doesn't? I would never, however, go so far as to condemn another to hell for not believing I what I believe. There is nothing Christ-like in that kind of doctrine.

sorry Neo that BS, you have a doctrine in your certian beliefs, nice try in trying to get away from it. 

This is Christ Like 

I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins."

Jesus didnt say , mabey, ill think about it, or let me sleep on it, Jesus said, you shall indeed die in your sins 

You're right, there are some doctrines that I adhere to, e.g. the doctrine of reincarnation and the doctrine of karma. But these doctrines are part of the ageless wisdom and were not created by a bunch of politically motivated old men who used fear and intimidation to keep the people in line.

Yes, your personal self shall die in your sins. I agree.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

By your logic, BB, what about people like Gandhi? He wasn't Christian. Was he of Satan? If you think so- that, to my mind is legalistic. Sort of like not seeing the forest through the trees.

waterfall's picture

waterfall

According to Wikipedia, there are 41,000 different denominations of Christianity in the world. It seems we don't agree too often even within the ranks of Christianity. Trying to tell others what to believe when we can't even get ourselves on the same page, seems hypocritical doesn't it?

Unsafe, which Christian denominations are going to hell, IYO?

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

A person's religious belief doesn't give them the right to denegrate someone else because they don't believe the same. That's the thing. It's hurtful to say "I believe your beliefs are from Satan" for no other reason than being unable to understand the symbolism the other understands- even though clearly the person is decent human being. Religious beliefs make poor excuses
for prejudices against individuals- I guess is my point.

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

If God died and went to 'eLLe for us ... did heh escape this mess we're in because of not thinking in enlightened manner ... like the lower level god ... closer to the torch he needsto carry?

Thus half of God is out of here and in the abstract or obtuse side and allowing us to continue our journey with love alone and all thoughts are clearly trashed and out of here ... in due satyr! If you can't read by the masque ... you can't see faceious satire ... a form as crude humis ... once called humour ... but this too was redacted as man can now screw around with DNA ... or anything for that matter ... without mind for nut'n ... and thus as said we're all becoming nuttiere than fruitcakes (make from stuff off the original tree of LOGOS that was alternered too).

With all that matteres left behind ... do we become abstract ... like the Shadow ... just another hue in the spirit of the brain that moves in UV and IR'd forms ... quite darkly in the field of overwhelming passion that put Jesous below the horizon ... encrypted in word as de light! Many can't read into ID ...

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Then in the total spectrum of energy there is that slight sliver of visible energy ... that you can see if it relects upons some Black Bodied thingy ...

Lord Rutherford did say that small sliver seems to come from everywhere all the time ... like a myth revealed through the cracks in real personae ...insinuated that we're all crazy ... and when in Rome act accordingly ... such is passion without Q-Lues ... or Q-Luce about the multivarience in tongues ... thus you can speak to yourself and the outsiders can't interfere ... as god fere'd well down that imaginary hole ...

At least they were out of here ... where few have respect and reverence for dead languages ... spoken by eM passed or previously Piscine as the e-phesherman indicated ... in a thought from strayed dimensions along with the learning asis, once know as Ba-aL'm, or aL've eM in short form as curtailed ... like lambs without myth, tail or whatever you pin upon them without really knowing much of how they go to this state ... much of it ue to prior poor teaching ---Erasmus!

Alas prior leaders wouldn't admit to errors as infallable children of God ... they hadn't humbled themselves to the lighter under fabric as there was too much mire swept under there ...

unsafe's picture

unsafe

waterfall     your quote    Unsafe, which Christian denominations are going to hell, IYO?

This is what God says ---if you have a problem with that you will have to take it up with God ---I can't help you as I didn't write the Bible ---I just believe it -----you can believe what you like from this scripture -----We will all know the truth when we die --and that waterfall is the real truth -----

Revelation 21:8

New International Version (NIV)

But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars(A)they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur.(B) This is the second death.

John 14:6

Jesus answered, “I am(A) the way(B) and the truth(C) and the life.(D) No one comes to the Father except through me.

No Jesus --no going to the Father ----according to God

Read many scriptures on hell here ---who is going etc

Bible verses related to Hell from the King James Version (KJV) by Relevance

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Hell/

Your choice to believe or not ----I believe is all ----whoever doesn't believe --that is not my problem ----We will all know who is right and who is wrong when we die ---And that waterfall is the real truth ----

But don't make comments about how God is playing games of cat and mouse while people are in  poverty and wars when you don't even give Him the time of day or want to know who God is and what He did for all to escape Hell and live a peaceful --healthy --joyest ---Blessed life ----  Have the balls to at least find out about The God of Israel and give God the respect due Him for what He has done for us personally -- 

The comment made by Neo was very disrespectfull to God not me  ---I said nothing bad about what his beliefs are in any of my comments ------see below ---Neo or you or Kimmio can believe what you want I don't care ---I believe God's word --Period

This is Neo's comment to me --- 

Unsafe, you also asked me "--where is the god you worship in your Religion when your people are suffering from poverty and wars ----are your people Rich and at Peace while the people of the God of Israel are in poverty and war---"

I found this question rather offensive and insensitive on your part. I have always been up front regarding "my religion" and how we need to see the world as one in order to live in peace. Justice for the impoverished is just as important as freedom and liberty. In fact, without the former the latter can never really truly be had.

this is again Neo ---Neo brings up Satan not me -----

What really bothers me about this belief in unmerited grace is not so much that God can shine grace on anyone It likes, and forgive the sins of anyone It likes at any time, it's the idea that if one doesn't believe in such a doctrine then they must walking with the devil down the wrong path. Really? Since when did "doctrine" become more important?

Again the Bible says what it says ---you either believe it or not ---

This scripture says it all ---no sin can enter Heaven ---your name must be in the book of life -----up to you to believe or not ----I believe -----It is talking about Heaven

Revelation 21:22-27

GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

22 I did not see any temple in it, because the Lord God Almighty and the lamb are its temple. 23 The city doesn’t need any sun or moon to give it light because the glory of God gave it light. The lamb was its lamp. 24 The nations will walk in its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it. 25 Its gates will be open all day. They will never close because there won’t be any night there. 26 They will bring the glory and wealth of the nations into the holy city.27 Nothing unclean,[a] no one who does anything detestable, and no liars will ever enter it. Only those whose names are written in the lamb’s Book of Life will enter it.

Jesus is the ony one who can make you clean ----that is my belief ----and that is what the bible says -----

Peace

chansen's picture

chansen

Kimmio wrote:

A person's religious belief doesn't give them the right to denegrate someone else because they don't believe the same. That's the thing. It's hurtful to say "I believe your beliefs are from Satan" for no other reason than being unable to understand the symbolism the other understands- even though clearly the person is decent human being. Religious beliefs make poor excuses for prejudices against individuals- I guess is my point.

What if your religious belief is that you're supposed to tell people that they are of Satan and are bound for hell? That's how stupid all of this is - for some, that's what their beliefs tell them they should be doing. So, if people have the freedom to believe what they want...and they believe they should be doing this....what then?

I say let them. The best argument against these beliefs is letting those who hold them speak.

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Neo wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Neo wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Neo wrote:

i sometimes wonder if you remember what you write , you earlier said matriya interprets for you, you follow Alice Bailys teachings.? 

and you have no doctrine?????????

Doctrine is a set rules and beliefs that define an organized religion or political party. I belong to neither. I do have certain beliefs, but who doesn't? I would never, however, go so far as to condemn another to hell for not believing I what I believe. There is nothing Christ-like in that kind of doctrine.

sorry Neo that BS, you have a doctrine in your certian beliefs, nice try in trying to get away from it. 

This is Christ Like 

I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins."

Jesus didnt say , mabey, ill think about it, or let me sleep on it, Jesus said, you shall indeed die in your sins 

You're right, there are some doctrines that I adhere to, e.g. the doctrine of reincarnation and the doctrine of karma. But these doctrines are part of the ageless wisdom and were not created by a bunch of politically motivated old men who used fear and intimidation to keep the people in line.
Yes, your personal self shall die in your sins. I agree.

so Hebrews says :

Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,

one of the doctrines is false

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio wrote:
Jesus, I believe, pointed to himself insofar as the values he was trying to get across.

and what about His Truth statements? is that just a value to you or is it that Jesus actually spoke the truth ? 

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

unsafe wrote:

waterfall     your quote    Unsafe, which Christian denominations are going to hell, IYO?

This is what God says ---if you have a problem with that you will have to take it up with God ---I can't help you as I didn't write the Bible ---I just believe it -----you can believe what you like from this scripture -----We will all know the truth when we die --and that waterfall is the real truth -----

Revelation 21:8

But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars(A)they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur.(B) This is the second death.

John 14:6

Jesus answered, “I am(A) the way(B) and the truth(C) and the life.(D) No one comes to the Father except through me.

No Jesus --no going to the Father ----according to God

Read many scriptures on hell here ---who is going etc

Bible verses related to Hell from the King James Version (KJV) by Relevance

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Hell/

Your choice to believe or not ----I believe is all ----whoever doesn't believe --that is not my problem ----We will all know who is right and who is wrong when we die ---And that waterfall is the real truth ----

But don't make comments about how God is playing games of cat and mouse while people are in  poverty and wars when you don't even give Him the time of day or want to know who God is and what He did for all to escape Hell and live a peaceful --healthy --joyest ---Blessed life ----  Have the balls to at least find out about The God of Israel and give God the respect due Him for what He has done for us personally -- 

The comment made by Neo was very disrespectfull to God not me  ---I said nothing bad about what his beliefs are in any of my comments ------see below ---Neo or you or Kimmio can believe what you want I don't care ---I believe God's word --Period

This is Neo's comment to me --- 

Unsafe, you also asked me "--where is the god you worship in your Religion when your people are suffering from poverty and wars ----are your people Rich and at Peace while the people of the God of Israel are in poverty and war---"

I found this question rather offensive and insensitive on your part. I have always been up front regarding "my religion" and how we need to see the world as one in order to live in peace. Justice for the impoverished is just as important as freedom and liberty. In fact, without the former the latter can never really truly be had.

this is again Neo ---Neo brings up Satan not me -----

Again the Bible says what it says ---you either believe it or not ---

This scripture says it all ---no sin can enter Heaven ---your name must be in the book of life -----up to you to believe or not ----I believe -----It is talking about Heaven

Revelation 21:22-27

22 I did not see any temple in it, because the Lord God Almighty and the lamb are its temple. 23 The city doesn’t need any sun or moon to give it light because the glory of God gave it light. The lamb was its lamp. 24 The nations will walk in its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it. 25 Its gates will be open all day. They will never close because there won’t be any night there. 26 They will bring the glory and wealth of the nations into the holy city.27 Nothing unclean,[a] no one who does anything detestable, and no liars will ever enter it. Only those whose names are written in the lamb’s Book of Life will enter it.

Jesus is the ony one who can make you clean ----that is my belief ----and that is what the bible says -----

Peace

Unsafe, I wish you would stop highlighting quotes from the Bible as an excuse to be nasty and spiteful ( I think you hand picked them to cover for what you felt like saying), and then end your post with "peace". It's not peacemaking at all. If you really believe that you've got it all down pat, and other people who don't believe the same as you are all going to Hell, that's unfortunate because you don't know that so you might as well just try to be nicer today- it won't do any harm.

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio wrote:
By your logic, BB, what about people like Gandhi? He wasn't Christian. Was he of Satan? If you think so- that, to my mind is legalistic. Sort of like not seeing the forest through the trees.

Believing that a certain belief is of satan does not meant that the destiny of the one who believes it is going to be hell, that Judgement is not mine to be had.  I can though judge on the root of the belief whether its from the Creator or not , which is what i have done with Neo, I don’t know his eternal destiny , I do believe that the doctrine that he believes is false to the core 

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

So, if the Judgment is not yours anyway- why say anything? Why even think anything like that. Neo's heard that particular view of Christianity before and he isn't into it. So why not keep those judgments about his beliefs to yourself- maybe just agree to disagree about that instead of saying his beliefs are from Satan. You might as well be calling him evil, and he's a decent person, so that's not right. That's not what Christianity is about.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:
Jesus, I believe, pointed to himself insofar as the values he was trying to get across.

and what about His Truth statements? is that just a value to you or is it that Jesus actually spoke the truth ? 

An honest, guiding value isn't "truth"?

chansen's picture

chansen

blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:

Believing that a certain belief is of satan does not meant that the destiny of the one who believes it is going to be hell, that Judgement is not mine to be had.  I can though judge on the root of the belief whether its from the Creator or not , which is what i have done with Neo, I don’t know his eternal destiny , I do believe that the doctrine that he believes is false to the core 

Kimmio wrote:

So, if the Judgment is not yours anyway- why say anything? Why even think anything like that. Neo's heard that particular view of Christianity before and he isn't into it. So why not keep those judgments about his beliefs to yourself- maybe just agree to disagree about that instead of saying his beliefs are from Satan. You might as well be calling him evil, and he's a decent person, so that's not right. That's not what Christianity is about.

But what if that is what Blackbelt's Christianity is about? You can't silence him, because that would be against his religious freedom. He isn't hurting anybody, and hardly anyone takes him seriously in the first place, so why worry about it?

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio wrote:
So, if the Judgment is not yours anyway- why say anything?

because I believe Jesus is the way , truth and light so just as Neo, argues his points I argue mine

Quote:

Why even think anything like that. Neo's heard that particular view of Christianity before and he isn't into it. So why not keep those judgments about his beliefs to yourself- maybe just agree to disagree about that instead of saying his beliefs are from Satan. You might as well be calling him evil, and he's a decent person, so that's not right. That's not what Christianity is about.

so if you have a friend that truly believes he can jump off a bridge and fly, you will say thats really nice i see yoru point ? 

Kimmo, we debate on this site tholigoical princples, in the christian view of spirtuality there is a True spirtuality and a false spiruality,  bouth are spirtuial yet one is false , I as Neo have the right to debate them and there sorce 

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:

hmmmm, no,,, example , Neo believes in reincarnation , scripture says no you live die once and then the judgment comes

which is true ?

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Chansen: It does hurt people when they're told their beliefs are from Satan. It's a round about way of saying "you're an evil person so you deserve punishment- and we're okay". Even if it doesn't hurt individuals who see through it, en masse, it either pushes people away or is coercive through fear, instead of finding common ground for peace amongst people.

chansen's picture

chansen

blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:

hmmmm, no,,, example , Neo believes in reincarnation , scripture says no you live die once and then the judgment comes

which is true ?

Why can't we just look at both claims, realize they are both made without evidence, and dismiss both of them?

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

chansen wrote:

blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:

which is true ?

Why can't we just look at both claims, realize they are both made without evidence, and dismiss both of them?

hold on a sec, since you responed we can add a 3rd, atheisim 

1) we reincarnate

2)we  live die once then Judgement

3) nothing happends your dead 

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:

which is true ?

Reincarnation is just something I don't know but I can believe it's just as possible...because... if you only have current memory of the first time you are alive and going to die, you wouldn't know the difference would you? Would you know about the life you lived before? The same truthful values would apply to the life you're living each time regardless, wouldn't they?

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio][quote=blackbelt1961]</p> <p>[quote=Kimmio wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:

which is true ?

Quote:

Kimmo wrote:

Reincarnation is just something I don't know but I can believe it's just as possible...because.

Just as possible does not make it true , the 2 opposing views are still contradictive of eachother and truth is not contradictive of itself, otherwise its not Truth

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Just thinking of a different way of looking at John 2:17- what if that applied to reincarnation too- because the words shall never pass away...regardless of which cycle/ phase/ generation/ age we are living in?

They are not two opposing views necessarily. Analogy: If I had a brain injury that prevented me from remembering what I did yesterday, everyday, it doesn't mean I didn't do anything yesterday and it doesn't mean I won't live for ten thousand tomorrows, or that my soul- my character won't continue on. It just means everyday is a new "life".

chansen's picture

chansen

Kimmio wrote:

Chansen: It does hurt people when they're told their beliefs are from Satan. It's a round about way of saying "you're an evil person so you deserve punishment- and we're okay". Even if it doesn't hurt individuals who see through it, en masse, it either pushes people away or is coercive through fear, instead of finding common ground for peace amongst people.

Sure it pushes people away from Christianity, but it's been a popular interpretation of Christianity for a long time, and groups like the UCCan have been ineffective at arguing against it, if they even care to.

I like it precisely because it does push people away from Christianity. I dislike it because it is attempted coercion. In the end, I don't care to silence it because most people don't give a crap about it any more. Besides, the more you seriously approach this way of thinking, and the more you try to silence them, the more legitimacy I think you give them.

They can't make a case without a series of baseless assertions. Of course, neither can more inclusive interpretations of Christianity, so it tries very hard not to make claims. Blackbelt and friends looooove to make claims. Blackbelt here gets to pass jusgement. Not on spelling and grammar, of course, but on beliefs. I can't make this stuff up, it's so good.

So, that's my approach. I have fun with it.

Nobody has a right to not be offended. People are going to be offended by what I write. People are going to be offended by what Blackbelt writes. So what? If someone attacks you with the idea that you deserve eternal torture, you have options available to you. One of which is to walk away.

unsafe's picture

unsafe

Hi Kimmio    your quote    Unsafe, I wish you would stop highlighting quotes from the Bible as an excuse to be nasty and spiteful ( I think you hand picked them to cover for what you felt like saying), and then end your post with "peace". It's not peacemaking at all.

Kimmio  ------- Who do you think you are  to tell me what I should and shouldn't Do ---I never tell you to stop posting  your beliefs ----If I want to post scripture and blacken it and underline my points --I will do as I wish ---no one is forcing you to read or go on what I post ---You always bring forward you view of love thy neighbour -----Well Kimmio you are breaking your own belief --no love here just judgment ---- 

I leave you with this scripture STRAIGHT FROM GOD -----blackened and underlined ---Keep an eye on yourself Kimmio not others ----My post was not to you Kimmio it was for waterfall -----if anyone has a beef with scripture --then let them talk to God about it not me ------

Matthew 7:5

5 You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye. Then you will see clearly to remove the piece of sawdust from another believer’s eye.

Peace and Blessings to you Kimmio and have a great day and week ------ 

chansen's picture

chansen

blackbelt1961 wrote:

chansen wrote:

blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:

which is true ?

hold on a sec, since you responed we can add a 3rd, atheisim 

1) we reincarnate

2)we  live die once then Judgement

3) nothing happends your dead 

That's all we know happens. Sorry it isn't very exciting, but it's the closest thing to the truth we have. When either you or Neo have something more impressive to show the world, let us know. Until then, the boring answer is going to have to do.

chansen's picture

chansen

unsafe wrote:

Hi Kimmio    your quote    Unsafe, I wish you would stop highlighting quotes from the Bible as an excuse to be nasty and spiteful ( I think you hand picked them to cover for what you felt like saying), and then end your post with "peace". It's not peacemaking at all.

Kimmio  ------- Who do you think you are  to tell me what I should and shouldn't Do ---I never tell you to stop posting  your beliefs ----If I want to post scripture and blacken it and underline my points --I will do as I wish ---no one is forcing you to read or go on what I post ---You always bring forward you view of love thy neighbour -----Well Kimmio you are breaking your own belief --no love here just judgment ---- 

I leave you with this scripture STRAIGHT FROM GOD -----blackened and underlined ---Keep an eye on yourself Kimmio not others ----My post was not to you Kimmio it was for waterfall -----if anyone has a beef with scripture --then let them talk to God about it not me ------

Matthew 7:5

5 You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye. Then you will see clearly to remove the piece of sawdust from another believer’s eye.

Peace and Blessings to you Kimmio and have a great day and week ------ 

Matt 7:5?!?

DRINK!!!!

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

You mentioned my name in your post, too, unsafe.

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio wrote:
Just thinking of a different way of looking at John 2:17- what if that applied to reincarnation too- because the words shall never pass away...regardless of which cycle/ phase/ generation/ age we are living in?

I think you mean 1 John 2:17 

Quote:

They are not two opposing views necessarily. Analogy: If I had a brain injury that prevented me from remembering what I did yesterday, everyday, it doesn't mean I didn't do anything yesterday and it doesn't mean I won't live for a thousand tomorrows, or that my soul- my character won't continue on. It just means everyday is a new "life".

but in renarcation, you are rebirthed a cycle .  Christanity says no you live onec period, not mabey  ,not if i remmber or dont , its a deffinant one life then you are judged. 

Kimmo its clearly contradictive of eachother

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I only know I live in this life now, yes. But if someone believes they lived another life before, they don't remember or have proof they just believe it- that each time they live and die they are judged and that determines the quality of their next life- what difference does it make to the truth being lived in this conscious life now?If it's being lived now it's being lived now. Yesterday's gone- but the same lessons apply. What about "whoever loses his life shall gain it and whoever gains his life shall lose it." and people continue to live and die, generation after generation, and here we are with 7 billion on the planet. It's a different "world" today than the last age, or the age before, etc. and people keep dying and being born. Someday, mercy, justice and humilty will triumph in humanity- the fighting will be over, and we'll continue on like that forever- that's the hope to live for, to have faith in. I don't know that it means people will stop physically dying and being born, though. It just means that if life goes on, then physical death needn't be feared.

airclean33's picture

airclean33

waterfall wrote:

According to Wikipedia, there are 41,000 different denominations of Christianity in the world. It seems we don't agree too often even within the ranks of Christianity. Trying to tell others what to believe when we can't even get ourselves on the same page, seems hypocritical doesn't it?

-- Those who don't follow Christ Jesus  and do the will of GOD.

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio wrote:
I only know I live in this life now, yes. But if someone believes they lived another life before, they don't remember or have proof they just believe it- that each time they live and die they are judged and that determines the quality of their next life- what difference does it make to the truth being lived in this conscious life now?If it's being lived now it's being lived now. Yesterday's gone- but the same lessons apply. What about "whoever loses his life shall gain it and whoever gains his life shall lose it." and people continue to live and die, generation after generation, and here we are with 7 billion on the planet. It's a different "world" today than the last age, or the age before, etc. and people keep dying and being born. Someday, mercy, justice and humilty will triumph in humanity- the fighting will be over, and we'll continue on like that forever- that's the hope to live for, to have faith in. I don't know that it means people will stop physically dying and being born, though.

then why should God even incarnate to teach and speak truth then affirm it by the death and ressrection, you make it sound like spirtuial truth is not inportatnt , But according to God it is , why.

but not wanting my point to hang merly on reincatnaton vs one life, my point was that all religions contardict eachother, so hwo do we find truth in a mix of jungle beliefs, that is why we debate. 

waterfall's picture

waterfall

airclean33 wrote:

waterfall wrote:

-- Those who don't follow Christ Jesus  and do the will of GOD.

Well many claim to follow Christ, but obviously they're following in different ways, otherwise they'd all be in the same denomination.

So are they all doing the will of God?

airclean33's picture

airclean33

[quote=Kimmio]By your logic, BB, what about people like Gandhi? He wasn't Christian. Was he of Satan? If you think so- that, to my mind is legalistic. Sort of like not seeing the forest through the trees[

/quote]- Do you mean the guy who used to beat his wife an kids Kimmio . Was he a follow of Christ Jesus?

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:
I only know I live in this life now, yes. But if someone believes they lived another life before, they don't remember or have proof they just believe it- that each time they live and die they are judged and that determines the quality of their next life- what difference does it make to the truth being lived in this conscious life now?If it's being lived now it's being lived now. Yesterday's gone- but the same lessons apply. What about "whoever loses his life shall gain it and whoever gains his life shall lose it." and people continue to live and die, generation after generation, and here we are with 7 billion on the planet. It's a different "world" today than the last age, or the age before, etc. and people keep dying and being born. Someday, mercy, justice and humilty will triumph in humanity- the fighting will be over, and we'll continue on like that forever- that's the hope to live for, to have faith in. I don't know that it means people will stop physically dying and being born, though.

then why should God even incarnate to teach and speak truth then affirm it by the death and ressrection, you make it sound like spirtuial truth is not inportatnt , But according to God it is , why.

but not wanting my point to hang merly on reincatnaton vs one life, my point was that all religions contardict eachother, so hwo do we find truth in a mix of jungle beliefs, that is why we debate. 

I'm not saying spiritual truth isn't important. I'm asking what if the spiritual truth is the same no matter what cycle of incarnation we are in? I live today, I go to sleep, I wake up- the truth of basic values I'm called to live by remains. A person dies, they are 'reborn' in essence, as a new person in a new body- with another chance- the truth remains the same- on and on until humanity gets it right?

blackbelt1961's picture

blackbelt1961

Kimmio wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:

I'm not saying spiritual truth isn't important. I'm asking what if the spiritual truth is the same no matter what cycle of incarnation we are in? I live today, I go to sleep, I wake up- the truth of basic values I'm called to live by remains. A person dies, they are 'reborn' in essence, as a new person in a new body- with another chance- the truth remains the same- on and on until humanity gets it right?

and scripture says that your what if is not true, there is no cycle 

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I don't claim to know I'm right. It's a way of looking at history of humanity and how it connects us to the beginning.

waterfall's picture

waterfall

airclean33]</p> <p>[quote=Kimmio wrote:
By your logic, BB, what about people like Gandhi? He wasn't Christian. Was he of Satan? If you think so- that, to my mind is legalistic. Sort of like not seeing the forest through the trees[

/quote]- Do you mean the guy who used to beat his wife an kids Kimmio . Was he a follow of Christ Jesus?

Was David?

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:
blackbelt1961 wrote:

Kimmio wrote:

and scripture says that your what if is not true, there is no cycle 

Does it? Where?

When Jesus was speaking to his disciples he said the end was nigh, then and now and he being the beginning and the end. I see this as cycles- always an end and a beginning of something else. When he's speaking to them then, and we understand it for us now- he is speaking to all generations/ ages/ cycles of humanity. If it was just simply intended to be heard then I guess we wouldn't be having this discussion now. Are we connected to our past and our future as a human race?

Back to Religion and Faith topics