Jim Kenney's picture

Jim Kenney

What Do We Believe in the United Church of Canada

I just posted a blog in WC that I posted on our church website yesterday in response to the CBC commentary on advertising by churches.  I believe this may be the same commentary that sparked another thread.  Our webmaster offered his appreciation for my posting of the blog -- found it very helpful for him.

Share this

Comments

Arminius's picture

Arminius

paradox3 wrote:

chansen wrote:

I just find religion to be an endless source of amusement.

Glad to hear we are keeping you entertained, Chansen. wink

I was thinking about you when I read a letter to the editor in the Star this week (not even joking about this.)

The letter writer, who identified as an atheist, defined atheism as a conviction that no supernatural power exists. "Friend Chansen would beg to differ," I thought to myself. "He has told us that atheism is not a belief system of any kind, but rather a lack of belief in God based on lack of evidence."

Hmmm ... thanks for keeping things interesting here on wondercafe. You have pretty much taken over from Atheisto, who I haven't seen around here in quite a while.

Hi p3:

I think chansen differs from Atheisto.

Atheisto appears to have been not merely anti-religious but anti-spiritual as well, whereas chansen appears to be antireligious but spiritual—in his own way, of course, with "spirit" not being a supernatural ghost but a metaphor for the unexplainable or logically and scientifically unknowable aspects of life and the universe.

I, who consider myself both religious and spiritual, agree with him on that.

not4prophet's picture

not4prophet

How does this reflect against the Methodist/Presbyterian roots?

Arminius's picture

Arminius

In Buddhism, for instance, there is no belief in a supernatural deity, just a spiritual universe. The latest scientific advances do not support the existence of a separate, supernatural deity, but they do support the existence of a spiritual universe.

I know, this has nothing to do with the Methodist/Presbyterian roots of the UCC, but has everything to do with the spirituality inherent in science. Whether we like it or not, science has usurped religion as the bringer of truths. Modern people look to science for answers, and science-based or science-supported spirituality appears to be the way of the future.

Moreover, even from the traditional Christian viewpoint, God wrote Himself most truthfully into His creation. The scientific analysis of God's creation, in other words the natural sciences, should therefore be more truthful than the religious speculations of people.

chansen's picture

chansen

Arminius wrote:

paradox3 wrote:

chansen wrote:

I was thinking about you when I read a letter to the editor in the Star this week (not even joking about this.)

The letter writer, who identified as an atheist, defined atheism as a conviction that no supernatural power exists. "Friend Chansen would beg to differ," I thought to myself. "He has told us that atheism is not a belief system of any kind, but rather a lack of belief in God based on lack of evidence."

Hmmm ... thanks for keeping things interesting here on wondercafe. You have pretty much taken over from Atheisto, who I haven't seen around here in quite a while.

Hi p3:

Atheisto appears to have been not merely anti-religious but anti-spiritual as well, whereas chansen appears to be antireligious but spiritual—in his own way, of course, with "spirit" not being a supernatural ghost but a metaphor for the unexplainable or logically and scientifically unknowable aspects of life and the universe.

I would more describe it as a sense of wonder. It's a wonder that fuels curiousity to learn and understand, rather than simply accept bad explanations on scriptural authority.

Arminius's picture

Arminius

chansen wrote:

Arminius wrote:

paradox3 wrote:

chansen wrote:

Hi p3:

I would more describe it as a sense of wonder. It's a wonder that fuels curiousity to learn and understand, rather than simply accept bad explanations on scriptural authority.

Yes, chansen, I quite agree: a sense of wonder and awe. Wondrous awe!smiley

Back to Religion and Faith topics
cafe